Champions League group rules/qualifying

I was hoping someone could clear up the rules regarding qaulifying from the champions league group stages.

In my current save i have just completed the group stages where i finished 3rd behind Panathinaikos. The problem i have is that i think i should have finished 2nd and qaulified for the next round.

I finished with a record of 1 win, 4 draws and 1 loss to give me 7 points. Panathinaikos finished with the exact same record and points. I think if this happens then you use the head to head record. At there place we drew 1-1 and at my place we dreww 0-0, so i figure it would now be down to GD. I had a GD of scored 4, conceded 4 for an overall GD of 0. Panathinaikos scored 4 and conceded 7 giving them a GD of -3.

Surely this would mean i should have qualified 2nd and not 3rd? or is there some rule in play here that i am unaware off?

The head to head record is the first method for sorting teams on equal points. Away goals are included in the head to head record and as there was a 1-1 draw and 0-0 draw between you and them. Therfore whoever got the away goal should go through.

The head to head record is the first method for sorting teams on equal points. Away goals are included in the head to head record and as there was a 1-1 draw and 0-0 draw between you and them. Therfore whoever got the away goal should go through.

I thought this too.

If you won away, you should have gone through :confused:

You should be through - you have more away goals against them and even ignoring that - better goal difference. Strange. Out of interest, how many points did the group winners and 4 placed have?

This, I'll bet 1st or 4th had the same points so you need to do a mini league for games between those teams.

This, I'll bet 1st or 4th had the same points so you need to do a mini league for games between those teams.

For sure. Do the mini-league thing with the 3 clubs that were level on points (if indeed that was the case) and see what you get. Should become clear what has happened.

I'm sure this is the answer

That's my line of thinking. Is this explained in the rules section - I don't think it is.

I'm sure you're right too, its not explained, maybe it should be, but reading it would give me a headache!

I am not sure and unfortunately I don’t have the save anymore, read the thread linked below as to why I don’t have it.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=216405

I think I did save a pic of it though somewhere so I will look that out.

Off the top of my head though I am sure Inter who finished 1st and Traszbnspor (sp?) who finished 4th didn’t have the same points as us. Also if it went to away goals scored in the head to head then I should have went through as the 1-1 draw was at there place where as the o-o draw was at my place.

I’ll try and find the pic at home tonight and post it up so that hopefully someone can explain what happened.

Archived