Your first trophy...

...how much did it mean to you? And please give background on team, amount of seasons in, which trophy etc.

I have played about 10 seasons overall on different games;

Brighton/Nigeria - 4 seasons (1 promotion, no trophies)

Aston Villa - Mid Table Mediocrity

St Pauli (German) - See Aston Villa

...and as yet have not won any silverware. That is probably my main motivation at the moment.

...how much did it mean to you? And please give background on team, amount of seasons in, which trophy etc.

I have played about 10 seasons overall on different games;

Brighton/Nigeria - 4 seasons (1 promotion, no trophies)

Aston Villa - Mid Table Mediocrity

St Pauli (German) - See Aston Villa

...and as yet have not won any silverware. That is probably my main motivation at the moment.

Went from Workington to:

Lewes

Bari

Arrezzo

Catania

Numanica

Queens Park

Plymouth

Seville where I won the Spanish title in my second season (surprisingly after winning my last eight games of the season).

Still my only silverware.

8 years on, I'm still in high demand as a manager. Continental rep. Probably just because of this one title.

My first trophy ever in CM/FM was the Dutch League after 3 years of trying in CM97/98. It meant the world to me as i'd played a full season with Newcastle and been pipped to the post by Man Utd, and in my first two seasons with Ajax I had lost out on goal difference.

In FM08 my first trophy was 3 games into my first season with Bayern Munich, when I lifted the German Cup, it meant absolutely nothing. I then won the league 3 years running, which again didn't mean an awful lot as my focus was Europe. We were immense in the league, rarely conceding and playing lovely football but in Europe we were dire. At the end of my fourth season I had won the league and both cups and was on course for a quad of cups as I faced Arsenal in the CL final. I didn't hold out much hope but went ahead in the 3rd minute, they got one back just before half time. Just as I was preparing for extra time Toni Kroos popped up with a 35 yard freekick in off the post and I literally jumped out of my seat and screamed "GOOOOOAAALLLL". Winning the CL for the first time in any FM/CM series is defiantely my best achievement especially with a totally German first 11 and squad average age of 23.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SWaRFeGa:

Went from Workington to:

Lewes

Bari

Arrezzo

Catania

Numanica

Queens Park

Plymouth

Seville where I won the Spanish title in my second season (surprisingly after winning my last eight games of the season).

8 years on, I'm still in high demand as a manager. Continental rep. Probably just because of this one title. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats a fair switch from Lewes to Bari, what was your starting reputation?

One of my first games ever on the CM series I started with Strasbourg, they had been relegated to the french second but had won the cup in the same season so my first competative game in my first season was the Charity shield which I won. My record of 1 game 1 trophy surely couldnt have been beaten. In FM08 I avoided relegation with Port Vale by 2 points and won the Johnstones Paint Trophy in my first season.

i have a good journey (but not much silverware)

ABC (Brazil) not managed to win promotion from seria c

Hitchin a half season there nothing worth mentioning

RBC (Holland) won promotion in second season, after finishing 14th in eredivisie i left

Catanzaro only 5 months there couldn't get started really well

Uerdingen managed them for almost 2 years without getting any salary and then leving them because club finances

Nuneaton won the conference south league (or north) and ended in conference national arround 18th position (first silwerware icon_biggrin.gif in 2014 )

Aue not much happened here

Morocco couldn't qualifying for world cup

Weymouth losing in playoff final not qualifying for conference national league so i left

Valenzana 22 days as manager shortest ever

Curently Nec (Holland) first season had the remaining 8 games came last in the second division second season 10th third season 3rd and promoted to first division here 10-11th place (i have one more game to go)

and Australia trying win games to reach world cup

it's not easy but i'm proud of that Nuneaton league win mainly because i dominated the league finishing with 109 points (don't remember it correctly bot around that figure)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by markcator3006:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SWaRFeGa:

Went from Workington to:

Lewes

Bari

Arrezzo

Catania

Numanica

Queens Park

Plymouth

8 years on, I'm still in high demand as a manager. Continental rep. Probably just because of this one title. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats a fair switch from Lewes to Bari, what was your starting reputation? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Started on Automatic.

Couple of promotions with Workington and Lewes got me noticed.

Bari aren't as good as they sound! Bottom of Serie B when I took over.

Does winning the play-offs count?

The only thing I have won so far is the Blue Square South Play-offs with Hitchin Town. I'm not sure that counts as a real trophy?

I was completely shocked really as I sneaked into the play-offs towards the end of the season. I expected to get pounded into the ground by any team in the play-offs, as I had lost home and away to at least two of them.

I managed, somehow, to hold out for a draw in the play-off semi-final and the game went to penalties. I expected to get well beaten in the final and I was gearing up for another season in the BSS, however, my side managed another draw and another win on penalties!

To be honest, it was a weird feeling because I had no expectation of winning and almost wanted to lose so that I could build up the team and consolidate before really challenging for promotion. Needless to say though, I was bouncing around the house like a maniac after we won the penalty shootout!

My real motivation in the game is to win a cup because I have never won a cup in FM. I have won the odd league here and there (in FM2007 I won conference, league two and championship with St. Albans City). The best cup run I had was to the FA Cup semi-finals with Saints. So my current Hitchin game is going to be all about trying to win a cup. I don't care if it is the FA Trophy, the Setanta Shield or whatever they call it. A cup is what I need now!

C.

Forgot to say that the best feeling I ever had when winning a trophy was the Championship after six years of trying to get out of that division with St. Albans City (on FM07). I had two relegation campaigns (staying up by 1 point both times) and three failed play-off campaigns, including getting to two play-off finals and losing both (despite being favourites). So when I finally won the Championship at the sixth attempt, it was the greatest feeling ever!

I love this ******* game!

C.

I started of as England manager and guided them to the European Championships but I lost on penalties to Italy in the semi-final.

I was then approached by Arsenal to take over as their manager. Wenger had left to become the french manager. I accepted and left England allowing Mourinho to take over from me.

In my first season with Arsenal I won the champions league after a 0-0 draw with Real Madrid in the final and beating them easily on penalties.

The following season I set out to win the league with Arsenal which I delivered but at the expense of not defending my european crown. However I was much happier after winning the league than I was after winning the champs league.

My aim now is to win both in 1 season

I just won my first trophy of '08 on monday, the League Cup with Newcastle! Thye are still going to sack me, but what the hell!

Seriously, it was like I scored the winning goal in the real-life CL final... I was jumping around the room screaming.... after so much frustration and un-enjoyment of this game, this win was sweet, sweet satisfaction. I think it meant more to me than Champions League trophies is previous versions, simply because this game has been so much more difficult for me.

icon_biggrin.gif

won the blue square premier in my first season as redditch, was predicted to finish 24th too, so it meant a lot. 3rd season as redditch i won the playoffs in the Blue square premier and into league 2 i went. I was going to leave as my contract was up so i thought leave on a high and return later on, i went on holiday for a week and the computer accepted a 2 year contract on my behlf.

started with man utd.

stopped playing to start a new game yesterday (thought id give Ajax a go)

Finished in season 2011.

At that point I had

4 league titles

4 league cups

4 fa cups

4 champions leagues

3 world club champs

3 super cups

Ranked the greatest manager of all time.

team was:

Akinfeev

Alves

Marcelo

Vidic

Richards

Mascherano

Van der Varrt

G Dos Santos

C Ronaldo

Silva

Bojan

as Manager of Senegal won the african nations.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by metropolistechnique:

Starr_Man5, this thread was inspired by yours.

Well done by the way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm an inspiration.

icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

Well....

Started at York (took them to Championship but because my max capacity was 8000 I thought it would be hard to create enough finances to compete - ironically they are now above me in the table...)

Watford

Stuttgart

Chievo Verona (won Serie B)

Wolves

Leicester (currently pushing for playoff in Championship)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Evil Man:

started with man utd.

stopped playing to start a new game yesterday (thought id give Ajax a go)

Finished in season 2011.

At that point I had

4 league titles

4 league cups

4 fa cups

4 champions leagues

3 world club champs

3 super cups

Ranked the greatest manager of all time.

team was:

Akinfeev

Alves

Marcelo

Vidic

Richards

Mascherano

Van der Varrt

G Dos Santos

C Ronaldo

Silva

Bojan

as Manager of Senegal won the african nations. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol. So basically you won every single trophy in every single season.

Sounds VERY interesting...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Lol. So basically you won every single trophy in every single season.

Sounds VERY interesting... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have, and whats wrong with that? There are plenty of people out there doing the same....

The game is easy (and before you comment - no, I have not used an editor!)

The first trophy I won on FM08 was the Spanish Cup in my second season with Real Betis.

The trophies that meant most to me were the Belarussian Second Division title and the German Cup.

The first was won without losing a game and the second was won with Gladbach, a Second Division club at the time, beating teams like Schalke 04, Herta Berlin and in a nail-biting finale, Bayern Munich on pens after 0-0.

I've never won the Premiership or a European competition tho'. That will mean the most to me if I can win them

ooohhhh...the whole LLM debate....

Well My process is when I first get the game, I chose the club I support ( and yes I am a rarity and Man Utd fan from Manchester, and no I am not a glory hunter - been a fan since 1980 and recall the likes of arthur albiston, remi moses, paul mcgrath, whiteside, kevin moran etc... long before the days of cantona!)

After getting use to the match engine, tactics, players, I then have a crack at a fallen giant (now my second game as Ajax - winning the CL in my first season defeating Inter in the Semis and Man Utd in the final).

After this challenge I usually take up a north west team in dire straights - stockport, bury, altrincham - by which point I am aware of all the cheap starlets and such, and have devised a tatcic that I can win comfortably.

After this, the new FM is out and so I start all over again.

So yes, the game is easy with man utd, but to be honest, the game is easy with LLM as well.

Its just common sense - dont ask a guy to run with the ball when his dribbling is 4.

Dont ask a guy to shoot from distance when his Longshots are 4

Dont ask a player to close down all over when his stamina is 4

Dont play a target man to head game when your striker is 5ft 3" and has heading of 4

Dont play target man hold up ball when you have a weed up front with no strength.

It IS easy.

Won the Blue Square North with my beloved Burscough after about 4/5 seasons (can't quite remember). Was brilliant but I felt like I'd cheated a bit.

Had a load of Everton (my Parent Club) players on loan and they were way too good for the division, basically. Came straight back down and went back up again though, then hit financial trouble so I jumped-ship to Leeds United.

i think people forget its a game.

yes, I did the following in my youth:

Played truant so I caoul "just do preseason"

Lost a girfriend as i had a cup final coming up

Booked days off work to play

Got home every night and played until midnight

Didnt see daylight for 4 days as I was scouting

Ignoed my mates as I had a new team and wanted to build

All of the usual, then there is

the constant swearing at the monitor

The throwing things about

The tantrums

The falling out with anyone nearby because they dont understand that you have just conceded in the 94th minute and its only a game!

being constantly called a "sad bastard"

now, after all my time and effort put into this, I am pleased I am at a point where I can sit back, tweak and win.

I have not got the time anymore to ivest the "6 weeks holidays" into getting through 20 seasons..

I am lucky if I get through 20 seasons in a year now.

FM 07 - I took over Tottenham mid-season in 06/07, one of my first few matches was the league cup final against Chelsea, this was the first trophy I won.

Hmm...soudns familiar...

From there I've won a couple of cups of the UEFA and F.A variety, also won the Premiership and UEFA Cup double (09/10), got 2nd in Prem and the semis of the Champions League the next season (10/11).

In my last long-term game, my first trophy was the World Cup with England in 2018. Before that, I'd managed Notts County, Alaves, Leeds, Aachen, Cottbus and had had one season at Liverpool, all without winning a single thing. icon_frown.gif

Archived