Is it me, or are clubs a bit over obsessed with goalkeepers?

I've noticed this before, but this is a perfect example of this. Third preseason, Man United have made £50m out of transfers, and have spent £11.75m on five players. One player is a £3.8m defender, the rest are goalkeepers. Tim Krul from Newcastle, Kieren Westwood from Coventry and two new players from Gent and Ajax. This is in addition to Van Der Sar, Kuszczak, a youth keeper and a guy they bought last year who is in the reserves. One club needs eight goalkeepers?

It just seems to me like rather than filling out the important areas of the squad, the big clubs especially seem to spend so much money on goalkeepers who will NEVER play for them because of how unlikely it is to need your seventh choice goalkeeper.

Does anyone else ever notice this?

I notice a fairly sizable premium on goalkeepers as time goes on in the game... a vaguely decent goalkeeper under 30 seems to cost £15m+ more often than not and they do seem in demand. I remember Barca/Real/Man Utd all flocking to loan my 3rd choice keeper on Loan for use in their first team...

In my game nobody ever signs goalkeepers. Every team I have looked at has the exact same keeper they started with. Krul is Newcastles No1 now because harper retired. Apart from retirements they just promoted there second joice.

In my game nobody signs anybody.

In a different style, I saw this in FM2009. Just seeing that Christian Luchetti, Banfield's goalkeeper, and the second choice one, Enrique Bologna, going to big teams (Luchetti to Milan and Bologna to Barcelona), and in FM10, Aldo Bobadilla ('Bobodilla', for me, 'coz he proved to be a bad keeper in Boca) to Inter... everything is said

Little update.

In the season that followed, one of the regens they bought and Van Der Sar played all the games, with 0 for Westwood and Krul. Van Der Sar then retired, Kuzcack left. So what do United do? Spend £6m on three more goalkeepers. In addition to this they tried to buy one or two of mine and bidded for a keeper I was bidding for (Neither of us got it). End of that season Krul left on a free with 0 games played, Westwood managed 1, two regens apparently alternate playing (One seems to always be in the reserves) and the rest went off on loan. They finished 3rd.

Liverpool have by far the best regen 'keeper in the world on my game - a Danish international 18 year old called Mark Hupfauf.

It's annoying too. I don't use FMRTE, yet Liverpool's AI snag a regen 'keeper from LASK for £8'000 within minutes of his spawning. -_-

as of december 2014 on my game, 12 premier league sides 1st choice goalkeeper started at the club at the start of the game. these are...

blackburn... paul robinson

burnley... diego penny

chelsea... petr cech

liverpool... jose reina

man utd... ben foster

middlesboro... brad jones

stoke... steve simonsen

sunderland... craig gordon

tottenham... gomes

west brom... scott carson

west ham... robert green

wolves... matt murray

of the other 8 clubs, 6 have signed new goalkeepers for 1st choice, only 2 have regens as 1st choice (1 of them being for me at newcastle)

so is there plenty of movement? it seems a normal amount to me.

man utds goalkeepers on my game are ben foster, alex smithies (hudderfield), lee grant (sheff wed) and 2 18 year old regens. not really excessive tho i dont now why they want lee grant

Can’t say that I have seen AI teams with an excess of GK's. What I have seen is that big clubs tend to buy quite crappy GK's for good money.

I recently took over at Dortmund in 2013/14 season and managed to purchase Adler as 1st choice GK. I decided to sell an average 34 y/o Swiss Gk, as he was now 4th choice and I only like to have 3 GK's in the team. I offered him out to clubs at his current value, 675K I think, and was fairly surprised when Barcelona decided to buy him for the full amount almost immediately. Also happened previously in the save when I was managing Glasgow rangers and sold McGregor of to one of the better EPL teams for good money.

as of december 2014 on my game, 12 premier league sides 1st choice goalkeeper started at the club at the start of the game. these are...

blackburn... paul robinson

burnley... diego penny

chelsea... petr cech

liverpool... jose reina

man utd... ben foster

middlesboro... brad jones

stoke... steve simonsen

sunderland... craig gordon

tottenham... gomes

west brom... scott carson

west ham... robert green

wolves... matt murray

of the other 8 clubs, 6 have signed new goalkeepers for 1st choice, only 2 have regens as 1st choice (1 of them being for me at newcastle)

so is there plenty of movement? it seems a normal amount to me.

man utds goalkeepers on my game are ben foster, alex smithies (hudderfield), lee grant (sheff wed) and 2 18 year old regens. not really excessive tho i dont now why they want lee grant

Same with my save as I said in an early post. The only ones that left did so because they retired or free transfered. It was the same in spain and the other leagues. They may have bought and sold keepers in that time but they always stayed loyal to the one they started with. I was up to about 2020 when I noticed.

Archived