To Complete the Sim.

Is FM2010 a Sim?

If yes? Then I believe my idea below is essential.

To change the pause button functionality. You should not be able to pause the game, read stats, alter positions and all the other things you can do, and then start off again. At the moment, I can be 1-0 down with 10 minutes left and basically create a new tactic while paused and off I go; trying to win the game.

What I think should happen is this; pause button remains but exists only such that the game can be paused so you can, for example, get your appendix removed. While paused nothing can be changed nor stats can be viewed; maybe you just see a Pause screen with football pictures or something.

To change tactics and read numbers and data the game at the minimum should progress and normal, life speed.

If it isn't a sim, this can be disregarded. :D

I am all for that, when the game also allows me to just shout my instructions

I tried shouting my instructions in the 35th minute in my last game and they were still pending after 65 minutes (even afer my half-time talk!). The players obviously ignored me at half time as well as from the touchline.

I disagree, as the pause button allows you to maintain the true flow. After all, I've never seen Sir Alex's wife holler at him to take out the trash down 1-0 with ten minutes to go...

In all seriousness, I think the pause allows me to communicate things to my squad that I can't just holler at them at the sidelines. I can tell my fullbacks to make more runs, my back line to push up, my wingers to get wide, my forwards to play offside, etc. If I'm the real life manager, then I probably know for myself a lot of what I actually have to look up in FM. The ability to pause and look at what you know takes the place of living and breathing the club every day for years like RL managers do.

I would agree with this. Although FM10 is a sim of football management you would have to watch a game for 90 mins for this to be fair.

A manager cannot pause IRL, but if they do want to change something they have the 90 mins and a full 15 mins at half time to deliver what they require. This of course is not possible in a 5 min game - keep the pause button.

It's a game.

And further, why not just make a self-imposed rule not to pause? I don't see how it hurts if others do, and it's easy enough not to use the pause button- especially if you use the touchline instructions and pre-set tactics.

This. If you choose not to pause because you feel it ruins the sim experience, brilliant.

But I'm sure plenty of people want it to stay there.

Archived