Help improving finances

Try to clean the finances of your club, here’s how I do it:

- decide a tactic at the beginning of the season

- sort all your players in all your squads (first, reserve, under 18) by useful (potential first-team squad player), and useless (players rotting in the reserve squad)

- choose 22 players out of those you tagged as useful (2 full teams of 11 players), keep a full team of useful players in the reserve and in the youth team if you’re a big club, just do that for the first team if you play in a lower league. Add 3 or 4 players to be able to change tactics during the season to have about 25-26 players in the first team squad.

- sell all the other players, even those you consider as promising, this is the most important thing

- offer new long term contracts to all the players you kept to secure your team

- don’t buy players for one or two full seasons

I wouldnt say this would improve finances. At the beginning of the season, the board would give you transfer and wage budget that they know will be financial fine. If you keep within these budgets then finances shouldnt be a problem (okay this isnt the case in some teams) but selling your unuseful players and those that are average players taking up lots of wages.

At the beginning of the season, the board would give you transfer and wage budget that they know will be financial fine.

That is exactly the kind of nonsense which ends up driving people to complaining about their finances in the first place

All Im saying is that almost everybody who complains about their finances on here goes 'I stuck to my budget but I'm still losing loads of money each year', basically because they either don't understand that their budgets aren't seperate to their balance, or they stuck JUST within their budget

you get more money the more seasons that you are at the club, for example i am at my 3rd season with southampton and has built a team using mostly freebies and loanees i am recording a loss 9 out of the 12 months, all i do is try to have a successful team that will then attract other clubs to wanting to buy them, when they do this, up the asking price by however much you like then when they want to leave you offer them to clubs, but making sure that you dont have the place on transfer list thing clicked, and then all of the clubs will be alerted that he is avalible and then you can sell him for a tidy profit, which keeps me in the black and a healthy transfer and wage budget to get mid table in the Championship.

Just make sure that you can consistenly pick up good players for most positions

Some teams have to manage the debts. I would say that it would be rather strange if you were to make a monthly profit to be honest. As long as your annual finances are in order, there shouldn't be a problem.

Arsenal have the Emirates to pay off and will burden the club until done so.

This years game is hard with my team Liverpool as the finances are unbelievably hard.

Simple way to make money; Win trophies. :)

Are you misunderstood? I have never came on here to moan about finances. I do fine sticking WITHIN those budgets.

You cannot really be in profit every month, you will go in the red in some months and not in other months. You WILL make up for the losses with TV rights, etc etc. I wouldnt recommend selling all the young hopefules just because it will save a few thousand.

I know what you mean, and im saying its unlikely to be in profit each month especially when no major income is coming into the clubs. This is why most teams make massive profits at the end of the season when such things as TV rights arrive from the league. I know sticking within those budgets ISNT exactly the correct thing to do, but if this has never beeen a problem for me then i will continue to use this method until such time my finances get screwed up. Afterall, everyone on the forum is just posting their own point of view on the subject.

I guess it depends of the team you’re managing, I’m in control of Hayes & Yeading United and counting any penny, struggling to get some cash to improve facilities, forced to sell promising players each six months to have the money for the wages of those who stayed. I’m happy after 3 seasons I was able to spare enough cash to improve training facilities. Selling players to keep a wage budget as low as possible is the most important financial factor you can control, attendances and winning trophies are way too random to just keep to the budget.

As Arsenal manager, it is very possible that even with losing money every month you will still end the season on a profit. A high premiership finish and a good CL run (top 4 and QF) will net you nearly £40m in prize money, TV money in England with a guaranteed Cl place is faintly ridiculuous (but accurate), and the 60,000 seater stadium will make you money eventually.

With my current game, Wolfsburg, I managed to make a profit at year end of £34m despite losing over £20m month on month due to a German league win (£24m), and a crazy run to the CL final (est. £50m between prizes, tv money and gates), and sponsorship money for Volkswagon (£20m). My biggest problem was my ground was tiny (30,000 with only 22,500 seats) thus meaning my max gate receipts all season were £500k.

My advice generally is (for an Arsenal level club): Keep £40k under wage budget,

Don't spend all the transfer budget unless it is neccessary,

Agressively prune the dead-wood, if you cant sell free tansfer, and don't sign on any coaches on riciculuous contracts.

After a few seasons with a club that level you will have £100m+ easily and you won't be able to spend it all.

Finally, remember with Arsenal the biggest thing dragging down the finances will be the stadium loan.

Hi I'm currently managing arsenal and every month we make a loss and I can never make a profit, does anyone know how to improve your finances? Thx
You get your Season Ticket money up front and prize money at the end of the Season so most big clubs will lose money month to month.

The key to good FM finances is quite simple... two words in fact... "Youth Farming"

Buy prospects young, send them to your feeder clubs or out on loan until they're worth a decent wedge, then sell them for a profit.

These players don't need to have enough potential to ever get them into your first team, but instead just need to represent good value for money.

If you're Arsenal, you can buy a load of youths that might only have the potential to be "decent prem players" so they'd never make the first team, but you can pick them up for peanuts, train them for a few years and sell them on for a tidy profit!

I have an annual "youth hunt" where I use all my scouts to give me a report card on every single player under the age of 18 whose value is more than £100,000. Then it's simply a case of sorting the player list by "Potential Ability" and looking down the list for the best bargains, regardless of position.

As a rule of thumb, my tip is - make sure your wages are less than your gate reciepts.

:thup:

Or at least decide which portion/s of your income you're going to allocate to the wage bill - and stick to it.

I couldnt do this with a team like Chelsea gate reciepts yield me around £3 to 4M a month if im lucky and im almost £600K under my wage budget with £1.5M p/w going out

You need to rationalise the wage bill then. £1.5m isn't really needed to be competitive/successful - that's quite a bloated figure.

In short, the boards budget for wages doesn't need to be your budget. If you do go with theirs be prepared to lose money month on month until the end of the season when other income gets paid.

:thup:

Or at least decide which portion/s of your income you're going to allocate to the wage bill - and stick to it.

You need to rationalise the wage bill then. £1.5m isn't really needed to be competitive/successful - that's quite a bloated figure.

In short, the boards budget for wages doesn't need to be your budget. If you do go with theirs be prepared to lose money month on month until the end of the season when other income gets paid.

i thought £1.5m was quite good considering i have to have 8 home grown players and ive won the EPL 4 seasons in a row :(

i thought £1.5m was quite good considering i have to have 8 home grown players and ive won the EPL 4 seasons in a row :(

Sorry Jamie, I didn't mean to put you down :eek:

I'm just going on past experience with Inter, the last time I managed a team that won at home and in Europe. I had a wage bill of around £7-800k pw. Maybe it costs more in the EPL, and as you say, I'm not considering the 'home grown' too.

Sorry Jamie, I didn't mean to put you down :eek:

I'm just going on past experience with Inter, the last time I managed a team that won at home and in Europe. I had a wage bill of around £7-800k pw. Maybe it costs more in the EPL, and as you say, I'm not considering the 'home grown' too.

no need for the apologie your right i recon i could trim around anouther 200 to 300k from my budget. Infact i can free up 90k at the end of the season as a players contact is due to expire and he is old now :)

Archived