Am I out my depth?

I consider myself to be a good manager in the lower leagues, which is backed up by success with Accrington where I had 2 promotions in 3 seasons with no money and keeping the debt from increasing by signing frees and trying to make good money on them to cover the costs on FM10, as well as successfully managing Wimbledon and Swindon getting promotion in the one season I spent at those clubs.

However, I’ve failed miserably at Ipswich (21st in), Cardiff (18th) and Arsenal (4th) but failing to get past the champions league qualifiers and I am 12th in season 2 after 11 games). So it’s not going well in the higher leagues. I think my few signings have been good, such as Hamsik for Arsenal. I’ve kept a similar 4-4-2 tactic by slightly tweaked a few minor details in the team instructions to suit my players and gave a couple of the players some individual player instructions because they are more able to deal with them effectively (I've also tried without these extra instructions and went back to basics).

So why can’t I manage above League One? What do I need to do to make better players achieve the same as what I manage at smaller clubs? Is it possible to be out of my depth?

as your good in LL why dont you build a team and take them to the top. atleast you will know your team through and through

I had a go with Notts Co and got back to back promotions and then finished 12th in the Championship in my first season, with an extremely good squad for that level. In the 2nd season in the Championship I strengthened my squad slightly and had another go at promotion but lost the first 6 games of the season and was sacked after being thrashed by Forest, I ended up taking the Shrewsbury job in League One but got bored of that save after losing the first 2 games.

anyone in 2014 or past in lower league management not in a rich club (eg. notts county) that can pick up any decent loan players? on my 2014 barnet game in league 1 there are no filled reserve teams even at the top premiership clubs and no loanees to be had anywhere, no way near the level as at the start of the game.

I am stuck with just 13 players and no decent loanees on the game at all. this has effectively broken my game. anyone else frustrated by this?

Archived