Negotiations with AI

Is it me or has anyone noticed that when you get an offer from a club for one of your players that the opposite team never come back with an offer?

I've had a handful of offers for my players and every time I negotiate, they always either accept or withdraw their offer.

What bothers me is that when you're negotiating a contract with a player and you get the message that for whatever reason something in your offer isn't sufficient -- and there's no indication of what the player wants.

Length of contract insufficient -- I assume my offer is too long but it never says.

Wage -- how about a counter-offer? The player has an agent, surely he has a figure in mind?

Makes me shake my head sometimes.

Length of contract insufficient -- I assume my offer is too long but it never says.

Wage -- how about a counter-offer? The player has an agent, surely he has a figure in mind?

Makes me shake my head sometimes.

Insufficient means not long enough. He often tells you he cannot accept the length = too long.

I'm often told to increase bonuses etc - for me they do give sufficient feedback.

tenthreeleader I've seen your problem in my games. I usually find that it happens when I put forth a very weak offer compared to what the player wants. If you get the offer close enough then he negotiates. It might just be the agent saying you know what you're obviously not taking me or my client seriously enough, good day sir.

Still though, you're right, agents should really come back and mention why or how the offer can improve regardless of the initial offer. I don't see why I have to make another bid with the players club.

Negotiating with AI teams is a big pain in the neck. Tottenham had bid 3.7 M for Bosingwa, I didnt need any money, but just for the sake of it, I negotiated and asked for 3.9 M. They withdrew their offer. What irks me even more is trying to acquire a big profile player in the game. I recently offered 28 M to Man City for Richards, they refused, I kept on bidding till 35 M even offering them Anelka who they were interested in. Finally they asked for a whopping 85 M + Anelka + 50 % profit + 2 M for 10 league appearances. That made me give up on him.

Back to the OP it happens everytime and would make selling players a lot better if they would negotiate. It's unfair and frustrating that AI teams will milk you dry but as soon as you try the same your offer is either flat out rejected or accepted.

Clubs will rarely pay the premium for a player the user has when the AI has other similar players that can be obtained cheaper. To me it appears as though the AI always seems to think you're willing to sell the player, or at least in 9 out of 10 cases, even if he's world class it seems to be the presumption you're trying to offload him, hence why they can get the player for around his valuation.

However, when their players are set as indespensible and are world class, they don't want to sell which is why we have to pay so much. A week or so ago on my game, I saw the second or third best left back on the game sold for £8m my bid was accepted as well because he wanted out of his current club so much.

I have been able to get the AI negotiating on some players but it rarely gets past a third bid because they then put non-negotiable in the transfer. I have sold players for well above their value to the AI with some success but it is something that needs looking at, because when you've got a striker who scores 50 goals in a season, and an AI club offers 10m for him, it seriously would never be accepted.

Back to the OP it happens everytime and would make selling players a lot better if they would negotiate. It's unfair and frustrating that AI teams will milk you dry but as soon as you try the same your offer is either flat out rejected or accepted.

Spot on there mate transfers are still poor in FM09, fees for players are on the whole vastly inflated and it really is pointless trying to negotiate with the AI as whenever you do they just keep increasing the price instead of coming back with a fee that is more in the middle of what you offered and what they want.

Spot on there mate transfers are still poor in FM09, fees for players are on the whole vastly inflated and it really is pointless trying to negotiate with the AI as whenever you do they just keep increasing the price instead of coming back with a fee that is more in the middle of what you offered and what they want.

The reason for that is because more often than not, the game is trying to use that as a deterrent as we would, but it always goes down that route - unless the player hands in a transfer request, is nearing the end of his contract or has other problems at the club, they aren't really contemplating selling.

It is very frustrating when Adebayor is top scorer in the league at Arsenal for 3 years and Arsenal flat out refuse £120m for him... yet expect to sign Robinho from me (in the top 3 scorers for 3 years) for £11m...

The reason for that is because more often than not, the game is trying to use that as a deterrent as we would, but it always goes down that route - unless the player hands in a transfer request, is nearing the end of his contract or has other problems at the club, they aren't really contemplating selling.

But when they are negotiating the figure they offer back to you should this not mean they are willing to sell. In most cases i've found the AI's first counter-offer isn't a million miles from what I would pay for the player but when you put an offer back to them that is closer to their valuation then they come back with an offer that is higher than thier first offer.

How is that realistic?

Actually, I've had no problems with negotiating for players when i submit a bid. I've just got through pre-season and with every player I bought, I was able to properly negotiate.

I really like it this way, because you can get AI teams to lower their demands (unless you're after someone like Ronaldo).

I've also found that when dealing with part-exchanges, the value of the players isn't taken into account. So the example above 80m + Anelka - the club would probably just ask for 80m if you hadn't offered the player. It's really frustrating because I've missed out on targets because of it.

Archived