Board giving you ultimatums

Every time, if you're under contract at a club, and you apply for another job, your board gives you an ultimatum. Fair enough, if you just ignore it you don't actually get sacked, but the thing that irritates me is that this occurs for every application. The 'board are said to be seething that a job application made by manager x has been seized upon by the media'.

My two issues with this:

1. Not every application would be 'seized upon by the media'. I like the feature in general, but it's over the top and occurs for every application. I really don't think the chances of this happening IRL are very high.
  2. I consider myself to be a good manager at my current club. I've never had an Insecure job security there, and I think that, instead of asking me to leave when I consider another job, they might want to persuade me to stay by offering me a new contract on an increased wage.

1. I agree. I don't think the current situation is that realistic. The only way the media would find out about such a move would be a) if it was leaked or b) the manager told them about it.

2. I also agree. It's not realistic for this to happen:

Ferguson: I'd quite like the Barcelona job, David. I've always wanted to live in Spain.

Gill: Leave now! Just go! You'll never believe how angry I am!

Ferguson: But I was just considering it!

Gill I don't care, you're fired.

What is more likely to happen is:

Ferguson: I'd quite like the Barcelona job, David.

Gill: Is there anything we can do that will make you stay? How about a higher wage?

Manager appointment is always leaked IRL. We always hear about managers swapping one club for another long before anyone says anything official about it? I think that's what FM is going for but the whole club being upset should depend on the managers reputation + chairman's pride. If the manager isn't considered on of the best in the game I can see a chairman getting annoyed.

• 2 months later...

SCIAG puts it nicely. theres no way SAF would be shown the door if he said he was interested in another job.

Also, theres no way we hear everything that goes on behind the scenes, it just doesnt happen. theres no way we know the ins and outs of every deal that takes place, nor do we know everything before it happens.

FM needs to strike a better balance between the two imo. maybe along the same lines as declaring an interest in players. there arent just 2 options..

theres a varying depth of options.

strongly like

dont like

strongly dislike

maybe this could be worked around to incorporate managers too?

Im pretty sure in FM07 or FM08 I cant remember which one, i was playing with Lyon and had 3 successful seasons. Arsenal came knocking and when I said it would be hard to turn down the job, the board offered me an improved new contract. I didnt accept it but nice to be offered lol

Manager appointment is always leaked IRL. We always hear about managers swapping one club for another long before anyone says anything official about it? I think that's what FM is going for but the whole club being upset should depend on the managers reputation + chairman's pride. If the manager isn't considered on of the best in the game I can see a chairman getting annoyed.

I disagree. I can think of a number of times when people have been interviewed for a managerial position and all the news sources have been able to say is "5 people have been interviewed, and (person A) and (person B) are among them." Yeah, those two managers have been sniffed out by the media but quite obviously the press doesn't know who the other three are, or they would say. Quite a lot of the time for the big jobs, the press claim around 10-30 candidates have been interviewed, the press never knows more than about five names. Heck, I can think of a few times when the press has got the wrong man and has had to write follow-up articles claiming that the person they singled out hasn't been interviewed and no-one knows who the man actually interviewed instead was.

Check out these for obvious signs that the press don't know all the candidates for a job:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/dunfermline_athletic/6105422.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/port_vale/8065030.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7203463.stm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/lincolnshire/content/articles/2007/07/13/boston_new_manager_130707_feature.shtml

Even this one (down the bottom and further up in their talk about Rijkaard) makes it clear in the wording that the press have been guessing at the candidates, not knowing:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/7426225.stm

This bugs me, answering in anyway gets you the sack (even if you got a crap team to the prem, ie if Man U wanted the Burnley manager, Burnley wouldnt sack him for applying for the job.) and ignoring always means you stay in the job. Its a bad "feature"/bug. I think they should only find out 10% of the time and you should be given an option which would appease the board.

ie, you think youve taken the club as far as you can when youre over achieving, the board will then offer you a bigger transfer budget in order to keep you there.

Archived