Retired squad numbers are being used in friendly matches...

Man City number 23 shirt is retired for obvious reasons.

During friendly matches it is used for the 12th substitue. This is also the case for other teams.

For future editions would it not make sense to use asigend squad numbers in friendlies? In the case of pre-season games, we could simply keep the same numbers from the previous season, with any new signings given a number in the same way they woudl be iven one in the January transfer window. This could then be changed when the squad numbers are decided for the start of the season.

Perhaps, for cosmetic reasons, Man City's 12 sub could be given the 24 in game? It shows respect for Vivian Foe.

I think the 6 at Milan (or Maldini's number) is less important, because it was Baresi's reward for a good career, not out of respect because he had a premature death.

In friendly games (if they have been assigned at this point) squad numbers ARE used.

I have never known a club assign squad numbers for the season and then just use 1-11 the following day for a friendly

This annoys me when managing in BSN as well, as the numbers are just not realistic. I'm not sure if this is how it works irl, but 6 for a AMR and 9 for a MC and 11 for an ST just annoy me no end, to the point at which i have to change them by moving players around.

• 2 weeks later...
In friendly games (if they have been assigned at this point) squad numbers ARE used.

I have never known a club assign squad numbers for the season and then just use 1-11 the following day for a friendly

This annoys me when managing in BSN as well, as the numbers are just not realistic. I'm not sure if this is how it works irl, but 6 for a AMR and 9 for a MC and 11 for an ST just annoy me no end, to the point at which i have to change them by moving players around.

I'm speaking mainly about pre-season friendlies - befoe the squad numbers have been assigned.

Archived