Travelling to matches....does it affect match performance?

I was reading up about the Russian Premier League today and noticed that all of the clubs are situated in the West of Russia other than FC Luch-Energiya who play in the far far East of Russia.

Wikipedia says that it is a 9hr plane journey from Moscow to Luch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Luch-Energiya_Vladivostok

CSKA played a match against Luch which they lost 4-0 after a 7hr plane journey. Akinfeev, the captain of CSKA, was far from pleased saying that they should play in the Japanese league due to the distance and time to play them.

This got me thinking, does the time it takes a team to get to the match have any influence in FM.

Because clearly, the 7hr journey endured by CSKA added to the fatigue of the players and most probably was one of the main reasons behind the heavy defeat.

Just wanted to know if this is such in the game, and if not maybe it could be included.

Obvioulsy in England, travelling distance would not have much, if any, affect on fatigue etc, but in countries such as Russia or USA maybe it would.

Your thoughts?

It is an interesting point, and I think that given that players now travel, and feel tired from travelling, to and from international matches, it could be possible to implement this in a certain way at club level.

Certainly one would feel tired after travelling to, say, Turkey or Ukraine, for a European match, and then having to fly back again for the weekend domestic matches.

I'm thinking this has an abstract representation within the game based on Away games being typically more difficult to win. Asking SI to factor in 2 hours equals a 5% drop off vs. a 15% drop off for 4.5 hours or more might be a little bit of an unnecessary pain.... no matter the realism (or lack of).

To be honest it seems like a convieniant excuse as to why CSKA got beat.

I mean, obviosly that same team has to travel 7 hours every away game... are they complaining?

Lol well thier not complaining but they did end up getting relegated last season so the 7 hours travelling probably didn't help thier cause

I've had messages from the ass man about scott macdonald at celtic a few times after returning from international duty, said he looked a bit jet lagged going into the game, his condition was around 90 to 94%, didn't seem to affect his game tho.

Well in 08 it seemed as if before every european tie you got told the distance between the two clubs; that news item's become far less frequent but it does appear, and the game can clearly calculate the distance because the longitude and latitude of each city is in the database.

I think it could have an effect in England.

Moscow to Luch is 9 hours by plane

Carlisle to Brighton is 7 hours by Road

Due to the different methods of transport used in smaller countries, the journey times are often just as long

Teams normally travel up the day before a game if its a long journey. Wont make them as tired and stiff for the game. Would be a good idea to put into the game, but would be difficult to make sure it works. Saw a thread a while back saying that if you need to travel up before and book into a hotel it should be deducted from your financies. Again would need to be worked on to make sure it doesnt get out of hand

Again this is one of those interesting little details. We do see it in real life, in most international breaks Sky or some other TV channel are totting up the miles travelled by players per club and when they come back sometimes get rested, like Tevez and Mascherano. Of course you have players which dont come back at all, like Zaki lol.

In real life, its not often teams travel on the day of the match if there is any real distance involved.

In real life, its not often teams travel on the day of the match if there is any real distance involved.

It is when you're skint.

Next week, we've got to go from Stockport (Cheshire) to Brighton (Sussex) on the day of the game, as we can't afford to stay in a hotel. Great.

It is when you're skint.

Next week, we've got to go from Stockport (Cheshire) to Brighton (Sussex) on the day of the game, as we can't afford to stay in a hotel. Great.

I know my geography lol! Hopefully the players will have a half decent coach!

Archived