Dead Rubbers And AI Selection

As someone who pays far more attention to league football than to Europe, I really don't know how realistic any of this necessarily is, but I've just faced a scenario that I'm sure must be at least a little out of kilter with reality.

Specifically, I've just played the final game of a Champions League group, Leicester City hosting Real Madrid. The game's a dead rubber in the fullest sense of the word; both teams have already qualified and Real have already won the group (not that that matters in the Champions League draw in FM, so far as I remember). Moreover, both teams are currently in title battles (Leicester five points clear at the top, Real two points in front).

Now I've gone into the game and, as I always have in such scenarios, specifically played an entirely second-string side (I generally carry lots of young backups and want them to get the playing time). Real, on the other hand have put out, not just a good side, but their strongest possible first-string lineup. The result, unsurprisingly, is a 5-0 drubbing (though I'm feeling a little unfortunate having only lost possession 53-47, shots on goal 19-14 and shots on target 9-5).

Now, I know there's pride and all, but seriously, can I not at least expect Real to put out even a slightly weaker than normal team for a match that has absolutely no consequence?

I agree that in this type of situation the game can lack a little common sense that a human manager would have. However I have heard that teams have put out weakened sides when already promoted from a league, haven't seen this myself though.

I agree that in this type of situation the game can lack a little common sense that a human manager would have. However I have heard that teams have put out weakened sides when already promoted from a league, haven't seen this myself though.

Yes, thats correct, I think it only happens when one wins the league championship. However theres a higher chance of playing a weakened team in Europe so I think this needs to be implemented.

Completely agree with this. It’s been one of my bugbears in FM for years but it’s still happening with every release.

The AI simply needs to be more aware of circumstances leading up to games and taking this into account when selecting their squads. I’ll try to give a few examples…

Liverpool are playing Plymouth in the League Cup on Wednesday followed by Chelsea in the Premiership on Saturday. Do they field a weakened side in the cup and full strength in the league, or just pick their full strength side for both games risking injury and suspension?

Man Utd have won the league with a game to spare and are playing Liverpool in the FA Cup final. Wayne Rooney is one yellow card away form a suspension. Do they pick their strongest side, including Rooney for their meaningless game, or give fringe players a run-out and keep the first XI fresh for the cup final?

Chelsea have topped their CL group with a game to spare. Drogba, Terry and Essien are all one yellow card away from a suspension, but this will be reset if they progress. Do they play these three players in the final game, or leave them out of the squad to avoid the risk of them missing an important game?

Arsenal are playing West Brom at home in the Premiership on Sunday followed by Barcelona away in the Champions League on Tuesday. Do they field a full strength side against West Brom and risk injury and fatigue to players, or do they stick some of their better players on the bench to keep them fresh but still on hand if needed?

Aston Villa finish the season in 7th place with a game to go. They can’t finish any higher or lower than 7th. For their final game do they play their best XI, or give youngsters / fringe players a run-out?

In most of these situations the answer is fairly obvious, although in some cases (particularly the last one) it may vary from manager to manager what he feels the best course of action is. However, you rarely see this in FM and for the majority of times you’ll see AI teams pick their strongest starting XI again and again, regardless of the risks involved in doing so.

i dont know, i think some things are asking a little too much of the game, its hard to make the game evaluate the next game and games they have in the future and prioritise one over the other. Just my opinion but this is a game and not real people with brains who can look at things a bit more logically. But i do see your points and they are quite valid!

I have seen the AI prioritise matches on my save games. I played Liverpool in the League Cup once, 3 days before they had a big league game, and they played a mostly reserve side, despite my team being pretty strong as well.

I've also seen the AI send a reserve team to play weaker teams in the league.

I find this too. In pretty much every match the AI fields the strongest team possible. I've organised friendlies with a club's reserve team and they've played their first team starting 11.

I've stopped arranging friendlies against Arsenal reserves because of this, they field their entire first team against my league 2 side.......

Only in the Carling cup have I seen sides put out 2nd string teams.

I think the AI picks squads based on the "reputation" of the competition and the opposition, which is why you occasionally get weak teams in the League Cup.

I do wish the AI was a little smarter with this, though.

The AI just isn't good enough, i think SI have tried to do too much with little understanding. CM 03/04 didn't have such major problems, it was a simple game with simple things to do. I could actually have fun with that, i could be celtic for 10 years, i would want to be oldham and get them to champions league football. SI seemed to concentrate on the unimportant things like the 3D engine, and news confrences etc.. it seems to have gone from a 'football' managing game, just to a managing game.

Archived