What do YOU look for in staff?

First poster here. I've got a long term save on FM08 going (sorry SI, never got into FM09 as much as FM08) and now that my Fiorentina side are a top top side (back to back Serie A wins and one CL trophy) I felt a change in backroom staff was needed to suppliment the playing staff.

Personally with coaches I just look for high Attacking, Defending and Tactical attributes (working with youngsters for youth coaches). With the AM I look for determination, motivation and high judging ability. With physios high physiotheraphy (duh!), determination and discipline. With scouts I have as high judging potential as possible and suppliment with high judging ability.

I think these core attributes is probably what we all look for in the staff. Question is what more should I be looking for? For instance I read on a website, forget which, that scouts with high determination will be more determined to find players. Is that true? Is atht really figured into the game?

I like to try and make sure a proportion of my staff are from the nation I am managing in. I have yet to go so far as hiring staff from the local area but thinking about it when my current contracts run out i may give it a shot.

DP - So no Martin Keown then? Got it ;)

Stevie - Well that is handy to know. So if I had a scout who has 20 potential and 20 determination (I have Ian Broomfield who I think originally came from Portsmouth) then I know I am in good hands. Is tactical knowledge a big thing as well for scouts who scout next opposition?

Mike - I've got Marcel Desailly who originally is a scout but became a Assistant for Marseille down the years and now I've snapped him up. I actually see myself agreeing a lot with him regarding players but some I do wonder what he is thinking :D

Pricey - Yeah me too but better staff from other leagues with high adaptability do work just as well and you also see some players promoted from the academy with the same nationality. Not to say they are any good but still it's nice to see. :)

Stevie - Well that is handy to know. So if I had a scout who has 20 potential and 20 determination (I have Ian Broomfield who I think originally came from Portsmouth) then I know I am in good hands. Is tactical knowledge a big thing as well for scouts who scout next opposition?

Mike - I've got Marcel Desailly who originally is a scout but became a Assistant for Marseille down the years and now I've snapped him up. I actually see myself agreeing a lot with him regarding players but some I do wonder what he is thinking :D

Pricey - Yeah me too but better staff from other leagues with high adaptability do work just as well and you also see some players promoted from the academy with the same nationality. Not to say they are any good but still it's nice to see. :)

If it's true to real life, I wouldn't believe a thing that Marcel fella says. He's is one of the pundits who talks the most rubbish. He probably only ever recommends french players.

If it's true to real life, I wouldn't believe a thing that Marcel fella says. He's is one of the pundits who talks the most rubbish. He probably only ever recommends french players.

He is also a pundit who makes me laugh, looks like a complete hardnut, yet possesses the voice of a 6 year old girl:p

Yes i would think it is safe to assume that he would be the best scout you have, and tactical knowledge would depend on what you use the scout for, i would use tactical scouts to scout opposition.

But use the CA/PA scouts for player finding

I try to get the coaches that will give me the highest stars that I can afford, and treat the AM just like an extra coach, with a slightly higher emphasis on working with youngsters. I also try to make sure as many of them have the same preferred formation that I like to use.

For scouts, judging ability and potential will do fine for me, I tend to tell them which players I want to look at anyway.

Archived