An Aston Villa Story.

The-Perfect-Fm'er!

Welcome, Is my first go at this, so please let me know how I'm doing and how i can improve!

July 1st 2008: A sad day for Aston Villa:

On my couch after a long hard day at work, I sat there, amazed at the events unfolding at Villa Park, with speculation over a recent bust-up between Martin O'Neill and Randy Lerner, news suddenly broke that Martin O'Neill had left his position as manager, I was not only dissapointed because of my natural love for Aston Villa, but also as Academy Director of Aston Villa, I was worried how it would effect my job status at Villa.

Just hours later, I got a call from John Robertson calling an official team meeting at Villa Park with chairman Randy Lerner and a couple of the directors. After a long 2 hour meeting, Mr.Lerner explained to us that he wanted to keep the employment internal and felt if anyone wanted to put their name into the hat, that they could do so, and they would be setting up official internal meetings with the players, staff and of course the people who wanted the Job to find the right person to take this Aston Villa team forward, at start i didn't see too much of the point, but as the meeting went on, i found out slowly that maybe I had a chance, John Robertson expressed his feelings towards the job, explaining he felt he didn't want the pressure at his age of being the main man at Aston Villa, from this, the people left competing for the Job we're Kevin MacDonald, a long serving Aston Villa coach, who had been working with the 1st team for years, and of course myself Joe Lolley, 34 year old Academy Director, however despite this job title, I'd also coached the 1st team on Numerous occasions, and took control of varoius reserve matches, so the players knew both of us fairly well.

July 2nd: Fans Negativity

Waking up on the 2nd, the excitement ran through me, just a day away from my interview and the thrill of even having a 50/50 chance of becoming the next Villa manager, well was just beyond belief, I tried to prepare but in the end failed to well simply get anything done with so many thoughts running through my head, throughout the day i spoke to the players, and it seemed alot of them we're happy that the job was being given to someone already inside the club and especially Martin Laursen, captain of Villa, seemed to favour me strongly, we'd built up such a good friendship over the years, while he was out for over a year when he first came to Villa, i was the man to help him and his family adjust to life, living next door, we soon built up a special relationship and this has carried on throughout his rise to an Aston Villa legend.

Despite what the players thought, the thought we're pretty much the opposite with the fans. Many critisced Lerner for "forcing" O'Neill out the job, but after speaking with both parties, this certainly wasn't the case, not only this, but the thought of keeping the job within Aston Villa seemed to worry the majority of the Villa fans, alot of them spoke out, on the likes of Sky Sports phone in, and Sky Sports News, the thought the idea of an inexperienced man coming into manager such a big club, wasn't the way to go, despite my excitement at a chance to get the job, i also then felt doubts if I would be the best man for the Job, the last thing i wanted was to be disliked by the Villa faithful, growing up a Villa fan, i wanted to do what's best for Aston Villa, but despite my doubts, I beleived i had the knowledge and ability to lead this Aston Villa team to big things, and how could i turn a job of this magnitude down.

Author's Note: I'll be updating this every day, usually play a couple hours a night. I'm likely to update this every gameweek, or after every game. This is Football manager 2009 and on patch 9.0.3

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

July 4: Making an impression:

After a couple of days of torture waiting for this moment, I finally arrived at Villa Park, to discuss with Randy Lerner and various directors on how I'm the right man for the club and my plans for the Club to move forward. I'd done alot of thinking about how to approach and be confident, but i was the complete opposite, shaking with nerves and fearing the worst, I got in there, and soon i started, explaining how I could move the club forward, my plans for the squad and the way to run the club, Progression of Youth, objectives and transfer targets, A long 3 hour finally came to and End, just hours before, they had spoke to Kevin McDonald, so they said they'd be talking over the decision and would let both of us know the very next day.

July 5th: The big day:

So it was the big day, with just 2 hours of sleep, I lay on the sofa waiting for the phone to ring, I was with my family and they were as nervous as I was, with all of us pacing ourselves around the house, just exicted, nervous, anxious, all the emotions possible we're going through me, and then finally at 10.31 am, I got a call

"Hello, Who is it?

"Hello Joe it's Randy, firstly, How are you, and we've come to a decision"

"I'm nervous to be honest, but i'm feeling good, yourself? and Okay, I don't mind if it's bad news, honestly"

"Yeah i'm good, but anyway we've decided that the man to take our forward is You, we'd like you to take control starting from Pre-Season tommorow, we will discuss a contract before hand, but in the mean time, you have a think about if this is what you really want to do, and speak to you tommorow"

"Wow, I'm so grateful, and honoured, thank you Mr.Lerner, I'll have a sleep on it, but I'm sure this is what i want to do, thank you so much for this chance, i look forward to seeing you tommorow"

"Great to hear, I'll see you tommorow Joe"

"Thanks Mr.Lerner, I'll speak to you tommorow, and again...Thank you so much"

July 6th:

I got up bright and early, just completly over the moon and filled up with Joy and excitement, as i first to Drove to Villa Park, i started to think, perhaps they've changed their mind, and what if they don't think I'm the right man, but once i got in the room, i saw Randy and the contract in front of him, it was the easiest decision I've made all my life, without even looking at the wages, I got my hand and signed it as soon as i could, It was Official.

I am now manager of Aston Villa Football Club, with my contract length being: a 2 year contract, with wages of £17,750, but to be honest, I would of accepted anything around the wage i was working with when i was Academy Director! this job meant the world to me, I soon got to training, and obvoiusly the world had heard, so the players knew and soon congratulated and we soon had a meeting talking to each individual player along with a team meeting, to talk about their future and their place at the club and what we can acheieve.

The Squad:

as all new managers, I had my own plans and views for the club, and after alot of thinking this is what I came up with.

GOALKEEPERS:

Brad Friedel - This experienced and top class goalkeeper, is going nowhere, great person to have around

Brad Guzan - Another American, it seems he has bags of potential from what I have seen and could be a top goalkeeper in the future

Stuart Taylor - Well with a small budget to work with due to this financial crisis, I feel this is a player i could sell.

DEFENDERS:

Wilfred Bouma - Long term injury, but a great left back and hopefully will recover to play some part in the season

Luke Young - One of O'Neills last signings, a Solid right back and I'm sure he'll be an excellent right back or left back over the season

Nicky Shorey - A good player, perhaps lacking confidence, but good with the ball and definatly a useful squad player.

Carlos Cuellar - Can play right back or centre back, a strong, no nonesense type defender, and will be useful for the coming seasons.

Martin Laursen - the club captain, an absolute Rock.

Zat Knight - I don't see why he shouldn't be kept as a very good squad player.

Curtis Davies - a Young but fairly experienced Centre back with bags of potential left, high hopes for this lad.

MIDFIELDERS

Craig Gardner - he can play right side, right back, central midfield, a real utility man and a good squad player.

Nigel Reo-Coker - same as Gardner, although i see Reo-Coker as a far more experienced player than Gardner.

Moustapha Salifou - Hasn't done enough to worthy a place at this club, will be selling.

Steve Sidwell - Again a player i could definatly work with, Hard working, strong, athletic and an eye for goal.

Stiliyan Petrov - great things from him so far and a definate key player for the season

Gareth Barry - Our most talented footballer at the club.

James Milner - the work ethic of this lad is amazing, a key player for us this season

Ashley Young - the creator of alot of our attacks, fantastic player to watch.

FORWARDS:

John Carew - for me our best striker, Quick, strong, great in the air and he scores goals.

Gabriel Agbonlahor - Bags of pace and potential, im predicting great things for this lad.

Emile Heskey - Mon's last signing at the club, a good squad player and will be a useful player to have around the club.

Nathan Delfouneso - a youngster coming through, already at times shown potentially he's upto great things.

Marlon Harewood - Just don't see him anywhere near the standard and time to cash in.

Transfer View:

The Budget - £3.7 Million, with the expectations of qualifying for Europe.

Players on the Transfer list - Marlon Harewood, Issiah Osbourne, Stuart Taylor, Moustapha Salifou.

Transfer Targets - With it being only my 1st day at the club, I hadn't picked out too many players, although a Left Back on loan for the season, and also a Winger to add competition to Milner and Young was my two main priorities.

Pre-Season Fixtures:

- Aston Villa reserves - 13th July - Villa Park

- Swindon Town - 19th July - Away

- Doncaster Rovers - 23rd July - Away

- Aston Villa reserves - 27th July - Villa Park

- Walsall - 1st August - Away

- Az Alkmaar - 7th August - Villa Park

July 7th - July 14th:

Well it's been for me a positive start to the season for me, In transfers news, I have sold Marlon Harewood for a staggering £4.5 Million to Sunderland, I signed Razvan Rat a Romanian left back on loan for the season with a view to permanant at any time during the loan. I also sold Keeper, Stuart Taylor for £2 Million to Arsenal.

Internally, I have brought in a few staff, with Gerd Muller and Gary Lewin being the most well known, and player wise, I've made Martin Laursen captain, with Gareth Barry as vice captain.

Aston Villa Vs Aston Villa reserves - 14th July

This really wasn't a game i enjoyed, 9 minutes in we had the opener, Martin Laursen header from Ashley Young's corner, but then the thing i didn't want happened, an Injury, 16 minutes in, John Carew limped off, but on 26 minutes i doubled the lead, again Ashley Young the provider, this time Gabriel Agbonlahor headed home, but despite the scoreline, the day got worse as Reo-Coker was given a straight red for a late challenge and then to cap off a dreadful 1st half, Barry Bannan grabbed a goal back for the Reserves, who we're puttnig up a impressive display.

The second half was slightly better although after just 51 minutes, Subsitutue Nathan Delfounso went off injured, but after that, i made it 3-1 and then 4-1, with goals from Rasvan Rat and Emile Heskey, both making their non-competitive debuts for the club, Overall, well not a great performance or day to be honest.

Aston Villa 4-1 Aston Villa Reserves

Martin Laursen, Gabriel Agbonlahor, Rasvan Rat, Emile Heskey.

Injury News:

Carew - Fine, despite limping off in the friendly.

Delfouneso - Out for a week, so not too bad.

Author's note: Game will be more detailed once into league or cup games

July 15th - July 22nd:

Starting with transfer news, Issiah Osbourne was loaned out to Hibernian for initial 200k, with a view to permanant of £2 Million. In more exciting news, Javior Saviola was brought to the club to boolster our attacking options, He's on loan for the season with a view to a permamant deal if he has a successful season at the club along with this is fellow Argentian Angel Di Maria is currently considering a contract from us after Benfica accepted a £7 Million offer for the winger. The only other sort of news is that Nathan Delfouneso is likely to be joining Barnsley on a 6 month loan deal, hopefully he can improve his football and get some game time there.

Aston Villa Vs Tavria Simferopol - 1st leg of Intertoto Cup Final - 19th July

The game started brightly for Us as Gabriel Agbonlahor came close after just 3 minutes, firing a shot inches over the bar, and it weren't long until i saw the 1st competitive goal scored in my management, Gareth Barry switching the ball to the left, where Ashley Young cut inside of his man before firing low into the corner. The next attack brought another goal, Luke Young provided the cross and at the back post was Ashley Young who provided a 1st time finish, despite the two goal lead and for all our possesion, we weren't creating a big deal and it was just important not to get complacement.

The second half started very slowly, with Tavria twice coming close, showing they had the potential to grab a goal, So i decided to make a tripple change, with Stiliyan Petrov, Steve Sidwell and Craig Gardner all entering, as Ashley Young, James Milner and Gareth Barry all took a rest and despite controlling the game, finding the killer 3rd goal proved to be tough, although Nicky Shorey came close when his long range free kick slammed against the cross-bar, but i finally got that 3rd goal with 14 minutes on the clock, Emile Heskey was brought down in the Box and up stepped Nicky Shorey who cooly slotted the penalty away. From there we saw the game out well and collected a solid win from a pretty good performance.

Aston Villa 3-0 Tavria Simferopol

Ashley Young (15, 23), Nicky Shorey (76)

Author's Note: Any feedback would be welcomed!!!

July 23rd - July 30th:

Well early on in the week saw Angel Di Maria complete his £7 Million pound move from Benfica, to add us an option out on the flanks. I finally felt this season I had a good balanced squad, healthy numbers and alot of quality. Into my 3rd week in charge, I was really loving the chance to work with such great players at a club I love so much, the back-room staff have been fantastic and everything at the moment seems to be going to plan, although the constant speculation is annoying me at the back of my mind, with Tottenham closely linked with Gareth Barry, although it is utter nonesense. In smaller transfer news, Young defender Shane Lowry signed on loan for the season to Charlton, which should be a good experience for him and in other loan news Nathan Baker joined Port Vale on loan for 6 months. Although mixed news towards Injuries, as Carlos Cuellar is sidelined for 3 weeks, after pulling his hamstring. While Curtis Davies is back in full training after a lengthy absence. But after all this, the week ended in a perfect way, Gareth Barry extended his contract a further 2 years, to make sure he's at Villa Park until at least 2012.

Doncaster Rovers Vs Aston Villa - Friendley - 23rd July

This game started with us taking the early inniative, although in terms of the 1st 20 minutes, it was pretty even, I'd rested a few players for our 2nd leg against Tavria, just to be certain of a safe passage through the intertoto, it was a good test of my players against a good doncaster side, and just before half time, we took well an undeserved lead, Gareth Barry scoring an absolute screamer from way outside the area.

The second half was all Doncaster as they pressed, and even in a friendly they really went for it, but I was glad to see my defence stay strong, and in injury time we added a second to kill the game, Gabriel Agbonlahor racing onto a Emile Heskey flick on, before tucking the ball home. Not a great performance, but still a good run out for the lads.

Doncaster Rovers 0-2 Aston Villa

Gareth Barry, Gabriel Agbonlahor

----------------

Tavria Simferopol Vs Aston Villa - 2nd leg of Intertoto Cup final - 26th July

The game nearly started in the worst possible way as Tavria striker, Miller ran 30 yards before striking at Friedel who made a good save, but I soon got into the game, and 9 minutes in Gabriel Agbonlahor struck the bar from 20 yards with a superb drive. 4 Minutes later with a similar effort, James Milner shot inches wide, despite a good start, disaster seemed to have struck when Tavria found the net, however their striker was adjudged to have been offside and they we're made to pay, Stiliyan Petrov's clever ball found Gabriel Agbonlahor who found the net with a good finish to kill the tie just before half-time, however Tavria at least wanted to take pride and just minutes after they found themselves on level terms, despite Friedel's best efforts to keep them out.

The second half started dull, but it sooned livened up after a run from the half way line, Zat Knight brought the Tavrian midfielder, who picked himself up and scored the penalty to give Tavria the lead on the day, but we fought back well and Craig Gardner scored a wonderful left foot effort from inside the box, although looking at it again, it looked like a cross, no doubt he won't care, and nor do I and we then took the lead in a thrilling game, Emile Heskey slid in Gabriel Agbonlahor who took it around the keeper before grabbing his 2nd goal of the day and the match got even better, Steve Sidwell's long ball found Emile Heskey who turned his man before finishing beautifully into the top corner to give Villa a 2-4 lead but the goals weren't finished their as Tavria pulled back another goal with 10 minutes left. and then literally a minute after that, Craig Gardner made it 3-5, after finishing off Steve Sidwell's excellent through ball. The game ended 3-5. I'm pleased to have no injuries and a safe passage through, but to concede 3 goals to this team, well it's something i will have to look at.

Tavria Simferopol 3-5 Aston Villa

Gabriel Agbonlahor (28, 72), Craig Gardner (60, 84), Emile Heskey (76)

Good start - a clean, concise style of writing and well laid out. It's good to see you doing more than just reporting the games as well by telling us your thoughts and emotions as you go along.

Keep it going, TPF. :thup:

July 31st - August 6th:

A month into the Job now and I've been pretty pleased with the start, qualified for the Uefa Cup and have won the 3 friendlies I've played so far. In more loan news, Ciaran Clark a Young cb who is currently an England under 19 regular has signed for Torquay on loan for 6 months, where he should get regular football which should be a good learning curve for him. In slightly more important news, I was drew Kalmar FF from Sweden in the Uefa Cup, which is an average draw really, there are better teams in the draw, however looking at their players in the squad, it certaintly won't be an easy tie. It's been a quiet week, with only news being Stiliyan Petrov has signed a 1 year extension, taking the midfielder upto 2011 and in good news for the club, we have sold 32,646 Season tickets so far.

Walsall Vs Aston Villa - Friendly - August 1st.

As soon as the whistle kicked off we went from the start, other games i'd have enjoyed players just getting game time under their belt, but I wanted a performance today, and It's excatly what I got, We took the lead 8 minutes into the match, John Carew converted Ashley Young's devasting dead ball delivery, and we was soon knocking on the door for a second and we got it 30 minutes later, Gareth Barry found an opening 20 yards out and drove it low into the corner, to give ourselves a comfortable lead at half-time.

The second half was just all the same, chance after chance after chance and it weren't long till we had a 3rd. Nicky Shorey's corner was glanced in from Steve Sidwell, and the game was sealed up when Heskey's shot deflected in off Dwayne Mattis who was given the own goal. A great way to start the month and a game that has made me think, especially after lining up early on as a 4-4-1-1 with Di Maria playing of Carew, this really worked well, instead of the usual Carew - Gabby / Saviola partnership i'd usually venture for.

Walsall 0-4 Aston Villa

John Carew, Gareth Barry, Steve Sidwell, Dwayne Mattis O.G

August 7th - August 14th:

The week started off pretty quietly, although during the AZ Alkmaar game, Javier Saviola oicked up a knock and is out for 2 weeks. Although Injuries seemed to worsen, and days later, Emile Heskey in training also was injured and therefore out for 2 weeks, which means I'm a little short upfront at the start of the season. Although in betterr news, Carlos Cuellar returned to full training just in time for the new season.

Aston Villa Vs Az Alkmaar - Friendley - 7th August

My last friendly saw me play Dutch outfit AZ Alkmaar and i got off to the perfect start, when Gareth Barry's through ball found Javior Saviola who finished well, in terms of possesion it was pretty even, but going forward we certainly looked more dangerous and we added a 2nd not long before half-time, Agbonlahor down the right was brought down, and Gareth Barry stepped up and converted the spot kit.

The second half well was pretty boring to be honest, AZ looked for a way back in the game, but as the tempo slowed, neither side we're creating too much, but a good day was wrapped up when Stiliyan Petrov found room inside the box before hitting a low shot into the corner. A good performance overall, although at times there we're too many mis-placed passes which will have to be addressed especially against the better teams.

Aston Villa 3-0 Az Alkmaar

Javior Saviola, Gareth Barry, Stiliyan Petrov

-----------------

Aston Villa Vs Kalmar FF - Uefa Cup, 2nd qualifying, 1st leg - August 14th

It didn't take us long to get out the blocks and start playing, just after 4 minutes, Stiliyan Petrov had a shot just over from 20 yards and just 2 minutes later, the breakthrough, Gabriel Agbonlahor's cross guided home with a good header from Nigel Reo-Coker. This was a superb start and 5 minutes later we had a second, James Milner fired a lovely low shot into the bottom corner and a minute later i nearly had a third, John Carew's 20 yard scorcher, crashing against the bar, but it weren't long till i had a third. Gabriel Agbonlahor finished after a good ball by Petrov. Carew then again struck the bar, fantastic 1st half and finally John Carew got his name on the scoresheet from 6 yards, after Milner did some good work down the right and after a mix up in defence the Tie was completly over, Gabriel Agbonlahor capitalizing on poor defending to slot home his second and it was 6-0 before half time, Kalmar defence nowhere, and John Carew raced through to make it 6-0. This 1st half was amazing, I'd seen Kalmar, they we're as good as alot of championship sides, and yet we'd killed the game inside the 1st half.

I told the players to just enjoy the second half, keep the ball and just see the game out with minimal effort and we didn't have an attack until 66 minutes, but it was a good attack, as Ashley Young's cross found Steve Sidwell in space and he guided home a good header and 10 minutes later, Craig Gardner added an 8th goal! Sidwell's pass into Gardner, who turned and smashed it home from 10 yards. It ended 8-0, a cracking win, no injuries and players wih high morale and great fitness levels going into the Premier League campaign. I was happy i killed the game off, it means we can give the fringe players more of a go to try and get some important game time.

Aston Villa 8-0 Kalmar FF

Nigel Reo-Coker (6), James Milner (12), Gabriel Agbonlahor (16, 37), John Carew (25, 45+1), Steve Sidwell (67), Craig Gardner (80)

The Premiership Expectations:

Well speaking to Randy, he wanted us to qualify for the Uefa Cup through the league, which is a top 5 place, although this could go down to 7, The squad i have is capable of that, and perhaps even giving the top 4 a go, But i'd pretty content with a top 6/7 finish for the season with alot of good teams also competing in those positions.

Fixtures: 1st 3 games:

Stoke City - Home

Manchester City - Away

Blackburn Rovers - Home

I think it's important to make a good start, and 7 points is a realistic target for these games.

August 15th - August 21st:

The premiership started off in actually quite predictable fashion, Chelsea, United and Liverpool all taking 3 points, with the only suprising result being Bolton holding Newcastle at Newcastle. I felt great aswell picking up my 1st win in our 1st game of the season against newly promoted Stoke City. In transfer news, Sevilla offered £4.7 Million for the services off Martin Laursen which I rejected without thinking twice, but in better news, Javior Saviola recovered from his 2 week injury. In loan news, Barry Bannan, Sam Williams and Mark Albrighton are all set to move on loan, (different clubs).

Aston Villa Vs Stoke City - August 17th - Premiership:

What a massive game for us, against a Stoke side we knew would be hard working and hard to break down and it took 9 minutes for our 1st effort on goal, Gabriel Agbonlahor smashing a long range effort well wide, and it was Stoke who come closest early on, 21 Minutes in, Mamady Sidibe came inches wide from the edge of the box after we backed off, in what was a poor start to the game for us, but we got a goal to calm any existing nerves, after some great possession we finally got the ball into Gabriel Agbonlahor who turned before lashing the ball home from 20 yards, a fantastic goal, 10 minutes before half-time. A pretty boring but a good half for us came to an end at 1-0.

I felt we needed to freshen things up a little, so on come Steve Sidwell and Nigel Reo-Coker for John Carew and James Milner, Barry playing on the left, Reo-Coker on the right, Sidwell and Petrov in the middle, with Young just behind Agbonlahor and 3 minutes into the second half, Steve Sidwell's header went just over from 10 yards after a good ball in from Reo-Coker and a minute later, Ashley Young's shot just missed the post from 15 yards out, a positive start to the second half and on 57 minutes, Stephen Kelly brought down Gareth Barry inside the box, and a big chance to make it 2-0, and he missed much to my disbelief, a very rare site and we nearly payed as Sidibe went close after a good header and to be honest i started to get nervous at our missed chances, when Martin Laursen smashed a shot off the bar from 10 yards and then finally we grabbed a second and a deserved goal, Gareth Barry twisting and turning inside the box before firing a shot low into the corner, but nerves soon came back again on 84 minutes, Andy Wilkinson's cross somehow evaded everyone and ended up in the top corner, game back on and even more drama as with 2 minutes to go, Mamady Sidibe was sent off for a push to Reo-Coker's chest and we nearly made 100% sure of the win with 30 seconds to go, as Ashley Young's free kick re-bounded back off the post, but we did enough and grabbed all 3 points, it was a close nervy game, but it was a good performance and we controlled the game throughout really.

Aston Villa 2-1 Stoke City

Gabriel Agbonlahor (36)

Gareth Barry (77)

Gareth Barry Missed Penalty (59)

Andy Wilkinson (85)

Mamady Sidibe Sent Off (89)

August 22nd - 28th

At the start of the week, Mark Albrighton a young right winger, went to Southend on loan for 6 months and in good injury news, Emile Heskey recovered from his injury which left him sidelined for 2 weeks. I then on the 23rd just before the Man City game, received an offer off £7.5 Million for Gareth Barry which i found very insulting, Barry Bannan then completed a 6 month loan move to Leyton Orient.

Manchester City Vs Aston Villa - August 23rd - Premiership

I decided to make a few changes to this game and go with a more defensive 4-4-1-1 system hopefully making it hard for City to break me down, before using the pace of Agbonlahor on the counter attack, but the game didn't excatly start well, as Yuri Zhirkov had a header straight at Friedel after just 2 minutes. After watching the 1st 10 minutes, i could see it clearly wasn't working, so i switched to a 4-6-0 formation, with Milner down the left, Agbonlahor down the right and Di Maria and Young in attacking midfield positions to try and keep the ball and then use it out wide, where Man City we're slightly slower and 2 minutes later, I should of had a penalty, Milner was surely brought down by Onouhua, but nothing was given. 25 mintues gone and nothing had happened apart from a couple long range shots, but then disaster struck ae Robinho's corner was headed in from Needum Onuoha. 5 Minutes later it was 2-0 as Robinho scored a goal of sheer quality, then a dismal 1st half was ended was capped off when Gelson Fernandes tapped in from 3 yards to leave it Man City 3-0 Villa at the break. I take full responsibilty, and felt i just didn't get it right, i told the players, I brought on Carew and just said they had nothing to lose and to go for it from the off.

I got a cracking response as Agbonlahor fired over from 20 yards, 23 seconds into the second half and 3 minutes later, John Carew fired home after a good ball by Ashley Young to give ourselves a life line. I really thought we'd go on from there, but it failed to materialise and it was game over when Robinho finished after a good ball from Ireland and an awful day was capped of when Daniel Sturridge rounded friedel and tucked a home a 5th.

Now i'll take abit of blame for getting tactics wrong early on, but 3 of their goals was awful defending, 2 we're from simple long balls and not dealt with, something i'll have to look over in the videos and address it to the team.

Manchester City 5-1 Aston Villa

Needum Onuoha (26)

Robinho (35, 57)

Gelson Fernandes (41)

Daniel Sturridge (88)

John Carew (49)

----------

Kalmar FF Vs Aston Villa - Uefa Cup 2nd Qualifying - 2nd leg - 0-8 Aggregate

Well in short, I gave everyone a break, although still had a pretty strong side out, but it was an awful start as Kalmar took the lead, but we soon came roaring back and Emile Heskey grabbed an equalizer, we we're playing pretty poorly to be honest and the game was different, but it was a meaningless game to be honest.

we started the second half alot brighter, but failed to take our chances as Emile Heskey and Javior Saviola both missed good one on one chances, we kept the ball well which is a positive, but lacked that Killer Instinct, and in the end the game ended 1-1.

Kalmar FF 1-1 Aston Villa

Emile Heskey (33)

August 29th - 4th August:

Well this week started of with Chelsea bidding £9 Million for Gareth Barry which I again rejected without even thinking and after a bad week really, we looked to get back on track against Blackburn at home and hopefully draw a good Uefa Cup draw. I was drawn Kayserispor from Turkey, they had a decent team, Julius Aghahowa, Mehmet Topuz, so we know they wouldn't be push-overs, but we was pretty confident we could go through. In other cup news, i was drawn Southend in the league cup 3rd round, away at Roots Hall, a tricky tie, but i couldn't of asked for a better draw to be honest, with only 2 league 1 teams left being in the draw.

Aston Villa Vs Blackburn Rovers - August 31st - Premiership

This was a real must win, even this early in the season, and I went straight back to 4-4-2 with Big JC and Gabby up top, the match actually started quite poorly with Blackburn controlling the possesion, but I was soon jumping for joy when Ashley Young found room just outside the Box and steered a shot into the bottom corner beyond Robinson after just 10 minutes. We weren't creating any chances at all really, but the main thing was nor were they, Although we had only our 3rd attack of the match after 30 minutes, Gareth Barry's pinpoint through ball, Agbonlahor raced onto it, but his shot was well saved. Blackburn then had their 1st chance, Samba header from Diouf's free kick went just wide. We then nearly grabbed a 2nd, with a minute left in the 1st half, but John Carew's effort was turned over the bar.

Unfortunatly Carew and Gabby both had knocks, so for the second half, on came straight swaps, in Heskey and Saviola, I made a 3rd chance shortly after with Di Maria coming on for James Milner and it weren't long before the striking duo made a real impact, Long ball from Laursen, Emile Heskey flicked on and after some hesitation from Paul Robinson, Javior Saviola sneaked in to finish from 8 yards out. Not long after, Ashley Young's free kick went inches away from making it 3-0, but with some slack defending, 5 minutes later we let Blackburn back in it as Roque Santa Cruz finished well from some suspect defending again. The pressure was starting to come now and Santa Cruz nearly doubled his tally but Brad Friedel made a wonderful save and just minutes later, Di Maria brought down Gamst Pederson inside the box, up stepped Barry Robson to slot it away to make it 2-2 with 20 minutes left. The players looked gutted and shellshocked, but we found some spirit and on 82 minutes Emile Heskey came close to regaining the lead, but his shot was well saved, and despite late pressure I couldn't get a winner on what has been a very dissapointing 7 days for us. It see's pick up only 4 points from 3 games i targetted 7, and means we end the 1st month in the Premier League in 12th place, not a good start.

Aston Villa 2-2 Blackburn Rovers

Ashley Young (10)

Javior Saviola (56)

Roque Santa Cruz (67)

Barry Robson (73)

September 5th - September 11th:

International week, so really not much happening...Literally, had a few training session with the boys not involved with their countries, but apart from that, it was about it.

Next 3 Fixtures:

West Ham United - Away

Fulham - Away

Liverpool - Home

I really should be aiming for 5 points here, although after last 3 games, 6 or perhaps 7 would be great.

September 12th - September18th:

After James Milner was sent off against West Ham, he received a one match ban, although it's likely to rise to 3 matches. A Quiet week apart from this in terms of club news. Although right at the end of the week saw John Carew sidelined for a month, which is a big loss.

West Ham United Vs Aston Villa - 14th September - Premiership

Well looking too bounce back here after 2 poor results and we started well, after some great passing, James Milner found an opening but his shot was well over. Big Carew then had a shot well over from a tight angle and then we came so close, Gabriel Agbonlahor hit the post after a good ball from Barry, we was playing fantastically well and the game was such a high tempo., but we couldn't make pressure tell as Carew and Reo-Coker both had efforts off target. We'd had 62% possesion and 12 shots to their 1 in the first 31 minutes. Very pleasing but still haven't scored, but as the game went to the latter stages of the 1st half, West Ham come into the game strongly and Friedel prevented Cole from giving them the lead.

The second half started with West Ham on the attack and nearly took the lead 30 seconds in when Scott Parker headed just wide. This game was so tight, and literally there we're no chances on goal for 30 minutes, and even that effort...Carlton Cole smashed a shot straight at Friedel from distance. Then drama as James Milner was sent off for a late lunge on Illunga, looked abit harsh to me, but it was a stupid tackle and finally my first chance of the second half came, in stoppage time, Emile Heskey clear on his left foot, but his shot went just over, great chance. The game ended 0-0....Hardly a poor result, but after watching the many chances go by in the 1st half, it meant it was probably dropped points.

West Ham United 0-0 Aston Villa

James Milner Sent Off (86)

-------

Aston Villa Vs Kayserispor - Uefa Cup 1st round - September 18th

I felt this was a vital game for us, to give us confidence and also make sure all last year's hard work was for nothing, the game started off pretty slowly in fairness with neither side keeping the ball to well, but it only took one chance this time, Gabriel Agbonlahor turning on the box and whiping a lovely left foot shot into the corner of the net and then 15 minutes in, disaster. Nigel Reo-Coker sent off for his second bookable offence and now 10 men for the rest of the match, but suprisngly it was us who we're looking more dangerous and nearly made it 2-0, but Carew's close range shot was well saved, Kayserispor keeper then pulled of another good save, denying Ash Young. Kayserispor then started to threaten as the game wore on as Julius Agahowa went close to an equalizer, but again we we're looking dangerous on the counter, Agbonlahor's pace down the right was used, he cut it back, but Di Maria's shot in the end went wide

The second half saw Kayserispor get into the game far more, although for once, we we're looking very solid at the back and again we hit them on the counter, this time Saviola was the guilty person, missnig the target from 8 yards and as football goes, we were punished, Julius Agahowa latched onto a through ball before sliding past Friedel and to make matters worse, 2 minute later, John Carew came off injured and after mkaing 3 subs, we we're left with just 9 men for the last 20 minutes, and it showed, as Kayserispor took the lead, Julius Aghahowa getting his second goal of the game. The game ended 1-2, a massive task to recover this game, although I feel we're good enough, but probably the worst outcome.

Aston Villa 1-2 Kayserispor

Gabriel Agbonlahor (11)

Nigel Reo-Coker Sent off (15)

Julius Agahowa (70, 80)

September 19th - September 25th:

Another awful week, Craig Gardner is out for 1 week, along with Javior Saviola who is out for 3 weeks.

Fulham Vs Aston Villa - 21st September - Premiership

Only changes really I made saw John Carew out through injury, with Saviola coming in to play just of Gabby Agbonlahor, but the game didn't start as planned as Eric Nevland smashed a shot against the bar early on, but i soon saw more of the ball and Barry went close from 25 yards, 12 minutes in. It was pretty even for the first 25 minutes in, although Fulham we're looking the better of the sides, but we still looked dangerous when we got the ball down, Ashley Young having a well struck shot, but no doubt the chance of the half went to Fulham, Eric Nevland shot was saved by Friedel before Johnson looked certain to score the re-bound before Friedel somehow tipped it around the post.

The second half started as it ended, Brad Friedel somhow denying this time Olivier Dacourt's free kick, before the re-bound was turned in by Andy Johnson, but he was flagged offside luckily enough for us. Both sides then had long range efforts close, Andy Johnson for Fulham, Then Petrov for us went close and Agbonlahor went even closer, just inches over from 20 yards. Andy Johnson then wasted two good oppurtinities with 15 minutes to go, as the game was all to play for and then with 10 minutes to go, Disaster struck as Simon Davies finished off a good move for Fulham. Saviola nearly rescued a point for us in injury time, but it wasn't to be.

I could feel the pressure already and with some people already saying I should go, it was tough times, I knew I hadn't had a great start but I had confidence i could turn it around, but to say I'm not dissapointed or Upset with my start would also be wrong. No wins in 4, and down to 13th in the table after 5 games, I really need to up my game, starting with Liverpool next week.

Fulham 1-0 Aston Villa

Simon Davies (80)

--------------

Southend Vs Aston Villa - League Cup 3rd Round - September 24th

I played a full strength for this game, It was very important I gtot through and at least get a win under my belt and for the team, and a good start, was shortly followed by a good goal, as Gabriel Agbonlahor fired into the roof of the net from 12 yards after 12 minutes. We was in complete control, Di Maria, Barry and Agbonlahor we're all guilty of missing the target from half chances, before Dougie Freedman with Southend's effort 1st effort, bent a shot into the top corner from 25 yards on the stroke of half-time.

The second half was very tight, but finally abit of quality took place, Stiliyan Petrov taking a touch and driving a low shot into the bottom corner from 25 yards, 10 minutes after the re-start and 6 minutes later it was game over, after a goal mouth scramble, Barry composed as ever rolled the ball to Curtis Davies who finished beautifully into the top corner. Thinking we'd see the game out comfortably was stupid as me, and just a aimless long ball somehow fell to the feet of Dougie Freedman who produced another great finish to beat Friedel and set up a great finish with 5 minutes to go, well not for me, and then it happened...89 minutes, Dougie Freedman latched onto a loose ball and drove home, for a hat-trick and to also take us to Extra-time.

Awful...Simply Awful.

8 minutes into extra time, Saviola was denied after a great save from the Southend keeper, before he made another great save, tipping over Gareth Barry's close range shot and with 5 minutes to go in extra time, Dougie Freedman latched onto another straight ball to go past Friedel and score his 4th. and then it got worse, in injury time of Extra time Anthony Grant scored from 30 yards to literally stab be in the heart.

I'm starting to question myself for the job now. I really am.

Southend 5-3 Aston Villa

Dougie Freedman (45, 84, 89, 115)

Anthony Grant (120)

Gabriel Agbonlahor (12)

Stiliyan Petrov (56)

Curtis Davies (63)

September 26th - October 3rd

In premiership news, one of the highest if not the highest win was recorded on the 27th of September, as Chelsea beat West Brom 9-0. Arsenal lead the way after 6 games, win 5 wins and a loss so far. What a week can do in football, Premiership performances below par, out the league cup, and trailing in the Uefa Cup, and yet in 4 days, we beat one of the best teams in the Premiership and go through to the group stages of Uefa Cup, thanks too two 3-0 Victories. Fantastic week.

3 Months into the job now and really loving every minute, obvoiusly haven't had the greatest start and it can effect your confidence of being a manager at a top level, but we soon bounced back to whipe away any negative feelings.

Aston Villa Vs Liverpool - September 27th - Premiership

I Simply had to get something from the game. I nearly got off to a perfect start, a long throw in and Curtis Davies met the ball, but his header was well saved by Reina. 30 seconds later and Reina again was forced into a save by Petrov, I'd really set us to play at a high tempo and put them under pressure, and we were certainly causing problems early on and 12 minutes in, the breakthrough, Reo-Coker with the pass and Emile Heskey superbly finished low into the corner. I told the player to keep going, and keep going at them. The rewards soon came, Heskey causing problems in the box, the ball falling too Stiliyan Petrov who lashed it home beautifully. 2-0 up and all Villa. Fantastic. Liverpool hadn't a sniff all game and at half-time, I was 2-0 up!

I told the players to not get complacement and give it their absolulte all for this 45 minutes, put themselves on the line for the win, and we started superbly, Reo-Coker snap shot going just a yard or two over. 2 minutes later Steve Sidwell hit a rocket inches over. Liverpool then created their 1st opening when Sub David N'Gog, went close after Gerrard's pass. Then the crucial goal, Agbonlahor's cross, Reina didn't deal with it, and Subsitutue, Angel Di Maria tapped in from 2 yards. We nearly made it 4, when Gabriel Agbonlahor stung the hands of Reina with 6 minutes on the clock from close range, but we saw the game through to win 3-0.

Absolutly fantastic, we played superbly and fully deserved the win, the 1st clean sheet of the season was vital and this should do wonders for the confidence levels, I'm ecstatic, now it's just about carrying those performance into other games.

Aston Villa 3-0 Liverpool

Emile Heskey (13)

Stiliyan Petrov (27)

Angel Di Maria (70)

-------------------------------------

Kayserispor Vs Aston Villa - Uefa Cup 1st round, 2nd leg - Aggregate (2-1) - 2nd October

My game plan was attacking them right from the off, and pretty much go all out for the win here, and we nearly scored inside a minute, Emile Heskey having his shot well saved down low, but we soon had our goal, Emile Heskey out jumping the Kayserispor keeper to head home from 10 yards, 1-0 wasn't enough, we had to keep going. They really couldn't deal with Heskey, as he nearly doubled his tally 12 minutes later, but his header went just over the bar. Agbonlahor then went close hitting the post from the edge of the box. We had to score or we weren't going through, and we got our goal, Emile Heskey again scoring after a lovely cross from Ashley Young found Emile headering home from 8 yards. A Wonderful 1st half, saw us leading the game and leading the tie.

The second half was all about to keep it going, and that we did, Gabriel Agbonlahor latching onto Angel Di Maria's cross to head it into the corner and surely make the tie safe. We saw the game out very comfortably in the end with Kayserispor hardly having any efforts on the goal, and to give us a passage to the group stages.

Kayserispor 0-3 Aston Villa

Emile Heskey (6, 34)

Gabriel Agbonlahor (57)

4th October - 10th October

The 1st day saw me questioning the league performances, especially the strikers. Gabriel Agbonlahor and Emile Heskey between them had 11 goals in 10(1) games Overall, while their league form saw them just have 2 goals between them in 8 (3) games, both didn't really have an answer, It's not really the fact it's easier teams, as in the cup, their banging them in left right and centre, yet in the league, they both have been struggling to hit the target, perhaps concentration of getting that 1 or 2 chances in the league, compared to 3 or 4 in the Cup competitions. In good news, Aston Villa under 18's in Group 1, have seen themselves to the top of the table with 7 wins and 1 draw, I sometimes like to watch them if we have no game on that saturday, always good to see young talent coming through the system. In some not so good news, Ashley Young is out for 3 weeks, after he pulled his hamstring. luckily he won't miss too many games, due to the International break.

Uefa Cup Group:

Steaua Bucharest

Sparta Prague

Levski Sofia

NEC Nijmegen

Reaction:

Well it's a fairly tough group, It's one that we should be able to qualify for, but some tricky ties in their against some decent opponents, should be interesting.

Arsenal Vs Aston Villa - October 5th - Premiership

It was the 1st time this season, where the pressure was off, and it didn't work out well, 3 minutes in Nicklas Bendtner hit an absolute scorcher into the top corner from 25 yards. We were fighting well and competing with them, but lacked quality in the final third at times, out final ball and delivery wasn't good enough early on. then more bad news, Gabriel Agbonlahor was carried off injured after 26 minutes, and with Saviola and Carew still both out, i had to revert to a 4-5-1 formation. I had to change my style, as i dropped Ashley Young just behind Emile Heskey, it weren't working, but i had no other options to be honest and Arsenal thought they had made it 2-0, but Nicklas Bendtner's 5 yard finish was ruled offside. With 10 minutes to go, I was just hoping we could hold on and stay in the game till half-time, but we nearly equalized when Emile Heskey crashed a shot against the bar, but then Arsenal made us pay and scored a second right on half-time, Samir Nasri finishing well under pressure.

After the break if there was any doubt before, the game was sealed after 47 minutes, Robin Van Persie made a great solo run before finishing superbly into the corner, but my boys weren't giving up, and Emile Heskey grabbed himself his 4th in 3 games, His header hit the bar, Young's re-bound hit the post, before Heskey just literally couldn't miss from 1 yard, about 30 seconds after the Arsenal goal, and Young nearly give us a great chance when his shot was superbly saved by Almunia, with more shots and possesion, 3-1 was a harsh reflection on what had happened in the game. Although on 69 minutes, bad news. Ashley Young was injured and taken off. Two big players injured and taken off in the same game. Arsenal from their, saw the game out well and despite losing, it was a good performance which im sure my players will take heart from that performance.

Arsenal 3-1 Aston Villa

Nicklas Bendtner (3)

Samir Nasri (45)

Robin Van Persie (48)

Emile Heskey (49)

Update of the Premiership:

| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Arsenal | | 7 | 6 | 0 | 1 | 13 | 5 | +8 | 18 |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Chelsea | | 7 | 5 | 2 | 0 | 20 | 3 | +17 | 17 |

| 3rd | | Man Utd | | 6 | 5 | 0 | 1 | 13 | 3 | +10 | 15 |

| 4th | | Liverpool | | 6 | 3 | 2 | 1 | 9 | 8 | +1 | 11 |

| 5th | | Newcastle | | 7 | 3 | 2 | 2 | 8 | 9 | -1 | 11 |

| 6th | | Everton | | 7 | 3 | 2 | 2 | 7 | 9 | -2 | 11 |

| 7th | | Tottenham | | 7 | 3 | 1 | 3 | 8 | 6 | +2 | 10 |

| 8th | | Fulham | | 7 | 3 | 1 | 3 | 10 | 11 | -1 | 10 |

| 9th | | Middlesbrough | | 7 | 3 | 1 | 3 | 7 | 9 | -2 | 10 |

| 10th | | West Brom | | 6 | 3 | 1 | 2 | 7 | 12 | -5 | 10 |

| 11th | | Man City | | 5 | 3 | 0 | 2 | 11 | 5 | +6 | 9 |

| 12th | | Bolton | | 7 | 2 | 3 | 2 | 7 | 8 | -1 | 9 |

| 13th | | Portsmouth | | 7 | 2 | 3 | 2 | 6 | 8 | -2 | 9 |

| 14th | | Aston Villa | | 7 | 2 | 2 | 3 | 9 | 12 | -3 | 8 |

| 15th | | Blackburn | | 6 | 1 | 4 | 1 | 7 | 7 | 0 | 7 |

| 16th | | Stoke | | 7 | 1 | 3 | 3 | 8 | 9 | -1 | 6 |

| 17th | | West Ham | | 7 | 1 | 2 | 4 | 5 | 9 | -4 | 5 |

| 18th | | Hull | | 7 | 1 | 1 | 5 | 6 | 13 | -7 | 4 |

| 19th | | Sunderland | | 7 | 1 | 0 | 6 | 6 | 13 | -7 | 3 |

| 20th | | Wigan | | 7 | 0 | 2 | 5 | 5 | 13 | -8 | 2 |

--------

As you can see, I'm 14th which obvoiusly isn't good, but 2 wins in a row, and it's likely i'd be in the top 8, So i'm not worried too much yet, anyway I don't want to concentrate on the league table too much, just take it game by game at the moment.

11th October - 17th October

Good news starts of the week as Javior Saviola is announced back into full training. In International news, Ashley Young, Emile Heskey and Gareth Barry all played some part in either of England's wins in the 2 World Cup qualifiers.

October 18th - October 24th

Back into Premiership action with a home game Vs Wigan, in injury news Emile Heskey will be sidelined for 3 weeks, which is hard to take when he's vital and in such good form at the moment, although a peice of positive news is that John Carew is back after a 4 week absence and also Ashley Young resumes full training. In transfer news, Lyon made a £10.5 Million bid for Vice-Captain Gareth Barry, which I rejected.

Aston Villa Vs Wigan Athletic - October 18th - Premiership

Must win game, simple, Wigan have took only 2 points from 7 games this season, and it's upto us now to get all 3 points, and again we started brightly, Gabriel Agbonlahor 1st hitting the target from longe range, before mis-controlling inside the box before being tackled, a great chance to be honest. Although we had that chance, it seemed we looked abit sluggish and both Mido and Zaki came close in the space of 3 minutes, before N'Zogbia on 20 minutes sent a shot crashing against the bar. It was an end to end game, 30 seconds later, Agbonlahor just hitting his shot over the top, despite all the attacking play, neither side had a goal to show for it, but we came close on 38 minutes, Emile Heskey's header going just over and then finally the 1st goal and what a goal, Curtis Davies with the ball through and Nicky Shorey, who i'm giving only his 2nd league game too, fired in from the edge of the box into the top corner, although Wigan will feel slightly miffed that it came 30 seconds after the initial 2 mintues stoppage time, but I don't care.

Our first attack of the second half and I thought i had my second goal, when subsitutue, Rasvan Rat tapped in from Luke Young's cross, but he judged to be offside and in my view, it weren't offside. The second half as a manager was literally the dullest second half i've had the "pleasure" of watching, although i enjoyed it very much, as Wigan only had 1 attempt all half, Mario Melchiot firing over from 20 yards with just 2 minutes on the clock, but as the game went on, the nerves we're getting to me, and Amr Zaki had a shot on target but which was well blocked, but we held on well, to collect a vital 3 points, a vital clean sheet and a win that see's us move up from 14th to 6th. a massive step and one that will give us confidence.

Aston Villa 1-0 Wigan Athletic

Nicky Shorey (45+3)

--------------

Levski Sofia Vs Aston Villa - Group Stages - October 23rd

A perfect start to the campaign insued, when a minute in Nigel Reo-Coker who has been my man in form to be honest, drove a low shot from a tight angle just inside the post. Javior Saviola nearly made it 0-2, after a lovely individual run, but a smart save from the levski keeper, kept the score at 0-1. This was a real classy performance, as inside a minute, Agbonlahor and Saviola both went close in search of a second, which would probably kill the game off. Agbonlahor again with a long range effort this time went close, before Reo-Coker nearly doubled his tally for the day, but his header somehow went over from 6 yards. Somehow it stayed 0-1 until half time.

More of the brilliant same in the second half and a minute in, Gabriel Agbonlahor was denied with a wonder save, his left foot effort heading for the top corner was superbly tipped over. But 2 minutes later, we we're awarded a penalty when Gabriel Agbonlahor was brought down, Gareth Barry stepped up and superbly guided his penalty into the corner for a 2-0 lead, but this game weren't over as Blagoy Krastev hit a worldy strike into the top corner from 30 yards to put Levski back in the game. Then even more drama, as Angel Di Maria was brought down inside the box to give ourselves another penalty. Again Gareth Barry stepped up, and again he scored. Just moments later, Reo-Coker nearly scored the most of wonderful of goals, Nicky Shorey down the left, cut the ball back in the air, and on the half volley, Reo-Coker struck it, but it smashed against the bar. We held out for an impressive victory.

Levski Sofia 1-3 Aston Villa

Blagoy Krastev (57)

Nigel Reo-Coker (2)

Gareth Barry (51, 64)

Author's Note:. Any feedback on improvement, or anything like that is always welcomed, Hope your all enjoying it...As you can see, I'm not an expert of FM. but I make my own tactics and play my own style.

25th October - October 31st

The week started with Lyon enquiring about the availability of Stiliyan Petrov, I did at first reject, but over the last day or two, I've been asking myself If i really need him and could i bring in someone abit younger and fresher, but I'll have to wait until January i suppose before I assess any more transfer ideas. Angel Di Maria picked up 2nd in the Player of the month for October, while Nigel Reo-Coker and Nicky Shorey finished 1st and 3rd respectively in the goal off the month,

Hull City Vs Aston Villa - 26th October - Premiership

A massive chance to gain two consecutive victories for the 1st time this season. Hull we're in poor form and lying in 19th and i got the perfect start like I do in so many games, Saviola's clever ball was collected by Gabriel Agbonlahor, who slid the ball into the corner from the penalty spot. 9 minutes later he nearly had a second, but his shot narrowly missed the bar. We was looking sharpe and defensivly winning everything, and we should of doubled our lead, when Di Maria missed the target from 10 yards, despite having time and space. But he made up for it as his run down the left was ended due to a rash challenge from Kevin Kilbane, this gave Gareth Barry the chance to score from spot, and for the second time this season...He failed, but then from the re-bound Agbonlahor was presented with a great chance, by Myhill produced another fantastic save to keep him out. Myhill was in sensational form as he somehow then kept out Milner's wonderful free kick, tipping over what was going into the top corner. It was one way traffic, but after 28 minutes, Hull finally had their 1st shot, but Mendy shot straight at Brad Friedel, Hull then thought they should of had a penalty as Davies perhaps climbed on Cousin, but the Ref waved it away as Hull came fighting back into the game, Cousin minutes later had his effort saved by Friedel and in the space of 5 minutes, the game had completly turned and Hull's pressure finally counted on 33 minutes when Kamil Zayatte shot low into the corner from 18 yards. Villa responded well, and nearly we're back ahead, but Reo-Coker's effort was somehow blocked by Micheal Turner just 6 yards out.

The second half started with Hull on the attack and a minute in, Manucho headed just wide. Manucho then come very close again when his shot was steered just wide of the post. Then some more bad news for Saviola, just minutes after i made a treble subsitution, an injury hit him, which meant he had to come off, and leave us with 10 men for the remaining 30 minutes. The pressure was starting to flood towards out goal, attack after attack and with 10 minutes to go, it took Brad Friedel at his best to deny Daniel Cousin after a great header. Then somehow with 4 minutes to go, Dean Marney hit a shot literally inches wide off the post, but we held on for a point that's not to bad considering circumstances, although missing that penalty without doubt was the turning point of the match, if we score that, then I think we win. So probably missed out overall.

Hull City 1-1 Aston Villa

Kamil Zayatte (34)

Gabriel Agbonlahor (2)

Gareth Barry Missed Penalty (22)

----

Aston Villa Vs Portsmouth - 29th October - Premiership

Big game, us in 10th, against Pompey in 8th, there in good form, winning 3 of last 4. Again i started well, Agbonlahor coming close 4 minutes in from long range. 10 minutes later he had a great chance, but dragged his shot wide from 10 yards. Brad Friedel was then called into action after Hayden Mullins deflected shot forced Brad into a smart save. it was end to end stuff as Javior Saviola fired a shot which James was equal too. But the last 3rd of the half quietened down as the teams went in at 0-0 at the break.

I needed abit more invention so on came Ashley Young, John Carew and Stiliyan Petrov for the second half to liven things up and it nearly payed of when Carew's pass found barry, but his shot went just over the bar. Then on 65 minutes, the most of beautiful of goals in terms of finishing. Nicky Shorey's long punt into the ball went over the Portsmouth defence and it fell on the volley to Nigel Reo-Coker on the volley 18 yards out, who drilled it low and hard into the corner past the dive of James. The game minutes later was nearly wrapped up, again Shorey corner this time, and Davies header was a good one, but James made a smart save. We we're defending well, but I always felt Portsmouth would put some pressure on us and create a few chances and it just depended if they finished them, but well i was happy i was wrong as we dealt with everything Portsmouth threw at us, and they just couldn't open us up. That's 3 straight home wins, and 3 clean straight home clean sheet's and upto 5th in the Table.

Aston Villa 1-0 Portsmouth

Nigel Reo-Coker (65)

Leave the night with:

| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| 1st | | Arsenal | | 10 | 9 | 0 | 1 | 21 | 6 | +15 | 27 |

| 2nd | | Chelsea | | 10 | 7 | 2 | 1 | 24 | 4 | +20 | 23 |

| 3rd | | Man Utd | | 9 | 5 | 3 | 1 | 15 | 5 | +10 | 18 |

| 4th | | Tottenham | | 10 | 5 | 2 | 3 | 12 | 8 | +4 | 17 |

| 5th | | Bolton | | 10 | 4 | 4 | 2 | 11 | 10 | +1 | 16 |

| 6th | | Aston Villa | | 10 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 12 | 13 | -1 | 15 |

| 7th | | Newcastle | | 10 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 11 | 13 | -2 | 15 |

| 8th | | Man City | | 8 | 4 | 2 | 2 | 15 | 7 | +8 | 14 |

| 9th | | Liverpool | | 9 | 4 | 2 | 3 | 13 | 13 | 0 | 14 |

| 10th | | Portsmouth | | 10 | 3 | 4 | 3 | 10 | 12 | -2 | 13 |

| 11th | | Everton | | 10 | 3 | 4 | 3 | 8 | 12 | -4 | 13 |

| 12th | | West Brom | | 9 | 4 | 1 | 4 | 10 | 16 | -6 | 13 |

| 13th | | Fulham | | 10 | 3 | 3 | 4 | 12 | 14 | -2 | 12 |

| 14th | | Blackburn | | 9 | 2 | 5 | 2 | 12 | 11 | +1 | 11 |

| 15th | | Middlesbrough | | 10 | 3 | 2 | 5 | 8 | 13 | -5 | 11 |

| 16th | | West Ham | | 10 | 2 | 3 | 5 | 7 | 13 | -6 | 9 |

| 17th | | Stoke | | 10 | 1 | 4 | 5 | 10 | 13 | -3 | 7 |

| 18th | | Sunderland | | 10 | 2 | 1 | 7 | 9 | 16 | -7 | 7 |

| 19th | | Hull | | 10 | 1 | 3 | 6 | 8 | 17 | -9 | 6 |

| 20th | | Wigan | | 10 | 0 | 3 | 7 | 5 | 17 | -12 | 3 |

November 1st - November 7th

The week started off in suprising yet brilliant fashion, I was called into the office by Randy to talk about the future which I weren't sure about and got me a little confused, but after an hour off talking he decided that he wanted to extend our budget a further £21 Million which definatly got me thinking about plans for January, but I tried to forget about it and just concentrate on each game as we go, and then think about this sort of stuff while in the window. Then some good news Emile Heskey was back in full training and although I won't consider him for the Uefa Cup match, I hope to add him to the squad come the weekend. But we received the worst possible news following the Mid-week game against NEC - Top scorer Gabriel Agbonlahor was injured for upto 3-4 Months with a torn calf muscle, Very hard to take both for the team and him personally.

Newcastle Vs Aston Villa - 1st November - Premiership

This was always going to be a tricky fixture after a long journey up, but we felt we could get something from the game. Like always my team got off to a good start, Ashley Young's delivery was met by Gareth Barry, but his header was well saved and a minute later I thought we had took the lead, Gabby's elivery found Reo-Coker but his header was just an inch away from the post. Gabby himself then drove over with a good long range effort and then a carbon copy of that effort and result 2 minutes later, a great start but needed a goal. 18 minutes in Saviola was presented with a good oppurtunity, but his shot forced Harper into a clever save and it was nearly costly as Shola Ameobi ran onto a long ball, but his effort was well saved by Friedel. Stiliyan Petrov then forced Harper into an accrobatic save before a bit of bad news seeing Gabriel Agbonlahor pick up a knock and having to come off and with 10 seconds remaining we just about survived as Steven Taylor's header crashed against the bar. From that attack, more bad news as Gareth Barry went down and had to come off, and with Ashley Young clearly lack match sharpeness, Di Maria, Sidwell and Carew we're all on for the second half.

The second half started quietly, but Newcastle had the first chance when Oba Martins went in on goal but his effort was superbly saved by Brad Friedel and at the moment it was all Newcastle pressure, but like us in the 1st half, they weren't making their pressure tell as Barton then Xisco fired long shots over the bar, Before Joey Barton shot smashed against the bar from 10 yards, it was constant pressure, and with 10 minutes left, could we hold on? Well it was taking luck and Friedel, in top class form as he prevented Nolan's long range effort finding the top corner and then on 85 minutes Steve Sidwell went down under the challenge of Steven Taylor, from my view it looked like a penalty but the Ref said no. Gutted and then with 30 seconds to go, Utter heartbreak, as Xisco's cross was met by Kevin Nolan who headed in from 6 yards. Newcastle held on for 3 minutes of Injury time, as that loss drops us down to 10th.

My defence was starting to gel alot better and the main problem we're the lack of goals, which I will address in the Jan window.

Newcastle 1-0 Aston Villa

Kevin Nolan (90)

----------

Aston Villa Vs NEC Nijmegen - Uefa Cup, Group Stages - November 6th

John Carew back in for Saviola, and hopefully really get at this Holland team straight from the off. I knew a win here, would pretty much seal my spot into the knock out rounds and we started how i wanted, 3 minutes in John Carew hit the target from just inside the box. 10 minutes later, Ashley Young came in from the left, cut in but his right foot shot went well over the bar. then Finally the breakthrough i thought, John Carew tucked the ball home, but he given offside. Carew then come close again but his shot went over the bar from 18 yards out, I really needed to make this pressure count and finally we did, Luke Young sent over a cross and Ashley Young at the back post tucked the ball home!

The secnod half like usual, we seemed to start slow, I', not sure why we do this, but we did and an old Fulham face in Collins John nearly brough NEC level, but he fired over after being one on one. 5 minutes later it took Brad Guzan to pull off two fantastic stops to deny NEC. Guzan making his second appearance of the season 2 minutes later i decided to make a treble change and it nearly payed off, Emile Heskey who I brought to the bench today, and give him the last 20 minutes, headed inches wide of the post. Agbonlahor then thought he had wrapped up the game, but he was judged offside for the second time today we had a goal dissalowed. Then some bad news, saw Gabriel Agbonlahor taken off with injury, which left me with 10 men for the last 8 minutes but we held on comfortably to take all 3 points and put us on the brink of the last 32. It was also good to see Villa Park becoming a fortress, We'd won 5 out of 6 League / Uefa Cup games, with the other being a draw, and also 4 clean sheet's in a row.

Aston Villa 1-0 NEC Nijmegen

Ashley Young (31)

November 8th - November 14th:

Well I was something in the papers about Randy running out of patience with me, which got me worried, although he rejected claims he said that, and with United and Chelsea coming up, I was slightly worried, but after that, we had 5 winnable games that could change our season, so I hoped he recognised that.

Aston Villa Vs Man United - 9th November - Premiership

Against the champions, although their away form showed only 2 wins out of 5, so there was definatly belief around the team we could get something from the game. This time I didn't start very well as Carlos Tevez forced Brad Guzan into a great double save, but we replied just perfect, Ashley Young starting to find his form, delivered a perfect ball for John Carew at the back post to head home from 6 yards!! This was a real battle and both sides in Anderson and Heskey produced efforts from a distance but both failed to hit the target. Rio Ferdinand then came very close as his header from Nani's corner went no more than a foot over the bar. Nicky Shorey then came close for us, as he sent a 30 yard free kick just past the United post and we should of been and somehow weren't 2-0 up, Ashley Young went past Gary Neville as if he wasn't there, he pulled it back to Gareth Barry 8 yards out, smashed it goalwards and somehow Van Der Sar tipped the ball over, astonishing save.

I expected an onslaught second half from United, but we actually started the better as Nicky Shorey's delivery was headed just over from Emile Heskey, but United soon came back as Paul Scholes forced Brad Guzan into a smart save down low, but we we're still playing well, and Nigel Reo-Coker nearly doubled our lead when his 20 yard effort dipped just over the bar. We we're defending superbly but nearly got done by a simple long ball over the top by Neville, Tevez ran onto it, but he dallied in front of goal and then Davies got back to clear it. We we're defending for our lives, 20 minutes to go and it was all United. Tevez on a great run cut it back to Fletcher but somehow Brad Guzan kept it out, before Ronaldo's shot was superbly blocked by Nicky Shorey but with 13 minutes to go, the inevitable, Wayne Rooney found space inside the area and smashed it into the top corner. Could we hold for a point? It seemed no when Wayne Rooney went one on one with Guzan but his shot went just over, and then we came back Luke Young's pass finding Saviola, he brought it down ans fizzed a shot just inches past the post, 10 minutes to go, what a finish and with 4 minutes to go after a barracade of long shots from United, we should of took the lead, Carrick's awful pass back was cut out by Carew who should of drove on, but from 18 yards he fired wide, a massive chance. Then a corner United, 91 mins, and after a massive goalmouth scramble, we just about cleared it, the whistle went a minute later and it was a very good point against the champions.

Aston Villa 1-1 Manchester United

John Carew (12)

Wayne Rooney (78)

November 15th - November 21st

Well one shock result of the week, Newcastle 5-0 Liverpool. Although a massive blow mid way through the week, Martin Laursen was told he'd be out of action for upto 2 months of the season.

Bolton Wanderers Vs Aston Villa - 15 November - Premiership

With Chelsea next, this was a must win game I felt. Once again we started superbly, Emile Heskey inside a minute should of scored but only hit his shot straight at Jaskeilinan from 7 yards, but we were ahead not long after, James Milner with some good work down the right, played it inside to John Carew, who lashed the ball from 10 yards and we was so close to two, went Emile Heskey's header was cleared off the line. Bolton soon got into the game and Elmander came close after Matty Taylor's cross, but he failed hit the target with his header. Then a poor decision in my view, Muamba went on a mazy run, before being "obstructed" by Luke Young, penalty to Bolton. Manuel Pasqual for Bolton found the net. We reacted well, but failed to find the net when Emile Heskey headed wide from close range, but then Alan Wiley evened the Pen count up when he felt Andy O'Brien tugged back John Carew. Gareth Barry stepped up, and made no mistake!

The second half saw Bolton come at us and inside 2 minutes they had an equalizer, the ball dropping kindly for Joey O'Brien, who finished well. Gretar Steinson then went close with a decent effort from 25 yards, but we nearly got back in front, Nicky Shorey smashing a shot with bend from 35 yards, Jaskeilinan made a good save. Then we had the ball in the back of the net, Heskey flick on, Milner finished, but he was judged to be leaning on Pasquel. The game slowly fizzled out but we really could and should of nicked it, Young found Saviola in space, he turned from his man on his left foot hit a shot just past the post in injury time. The game ended 2-2, not a bad point, but it's dropped points after being in the lead twice.

Bolton Wanderers 2-2 Aston Villa

Manuel Pasquel (31)

Joey O'Brien (48)

John Carew (10)

Gareth Barry (36)

Author's Note: I'll proper update tommorow, but going to watch football after this (COME ON VILLA)

Chelsea Vs Aston Villa - 22nd October - Premiership

I told the players to beleive, but I knew it was going to be a massive ask, especially with our away form. 38 Seconds in and already behind, Didier Drogba latching onto Essien's ball, to slot in. Drogba again was put through 8 minutes later, this time he failed to hit the target and it was just all Chelsea as Mikel hit a rocket which Guzan superbly touched round the post. Guzan then denied Kalou this time after some excellent football by Chelsea. Then out of nowhere, our first attack, Ashley Young got past Boswinga and his ball was converted with a lovely header from John Carew. Didier Drogba nearly put Chelsea back ahead a minute before half-time when he headed Deco's ball into the box, but his header just missed the post.

The belief and mentallity was great at half-time, we knew we had a chance of getting something, we just needed to keep going and work our socks off. Then on 57 miuntes Reo-Coker had a shot from 8 yards blocked as we showed good attacking play down the right, but minutes later Anelka should of scored, long ball by Cech, over the top Anelka raced on, but his shot straight at Brad Guzan. Miniero on as a sub then had a shot blocked which was going in from Curtis Davies, I won't lie, we was holding on and then a costly error lead to Chelsea re-taking the lead, Drogba's header straight at Guzan, Guzan fumbled and in came Nicolas Anelka to tap in, but we showed fight and should of been level, Heskey's shot well saved by Cech though and then a masive chance, Di Maria got to the by-line, his ball across the box and 4 yards out John Carew somehow steered his header wide. Chelsea held on, we drop down now to 12th, but with 6 winnable fixtures coming up, I'm sure over the next 6 weeks we will be back in the top 8.

Chelsea 2-1 Aston Villa

Didier Drogba (1)

Nicolas Anelka (69)

John Carew (31)

November 22nd - November 28th

No win in 4 saw me slightly worried, but as a team we felt we could soon turn it around. Although next up we're Tottenham in 3rd, at White Hart Lane, after that game though, we had some massive games all winnable coming up.

Sparta Prague Vs Aston Villa - Group Stages, Uefa Cup - November 27th

I knew a point would see us through, and played a pretty strong line-up and we nearly took the lead 7 minutes in, But Reo-Coker's shot was turned over, and then a big blow, as John Carew had to brought off, so on game Javior Saviola, but we looked abit edgey early on and Sparta Prague nearly took advantage but Wilfried failed to capatilize after going one on one. Saviola who hadn't score for a couple of months and lacking confidence nearly gave us a lead, but his shot went inches wide of the post. Prague then threatened again as Wilfried forced a good save from Brad Guzan, after that we started to control the game and both Reo-Coker and Heskey had shots saved, before Saviola fired wide from the edge of the box. At half-time it was 0-0 and our finishing ability was a real worry, and with no Carew or Agbonlahor it was a definate problem.

The second half started brightly for Prague as Wilfried again forced Guzan into a good save, before Prucha showed good pace to turn Cuellar, but again Guzan denied Sparta, but we responded well to the pressure as Saviola tested the Prague's keeper's hands, Guzan was in fine form again as he somehow denied Repka from a certain goal with a superb diving save, before Luke Young was on hand to clear off the line moments later, and from that resulting attack Sidwell drove forward, his short ball into Emile Heskey who turned before driving the ball home from 20 yards, beautiful goal and we made sure of the game when Carlos Cuellar 5 minutes later smashed his shot into the roof of the net from 8 yards following Shorey's cross. 3 out of 3 in Europe.

Sparta Prague 0-2 Aston Villa

Emile Heskey (81)

Carlos Cuellar (86)

November 29th - December 5th

Well we'd Qualified for Uefa Knock out stage, and hopefully we could carry that form on into the league. Stiliyan Petrov was told he would miss upto a week out. Quite upset following the Fa Cup draw, I'd always loved the Fa Cup, but again our bad luck continued as this year we we're drawn Chelsea in the 3rd round. In more bad injury news, John Carew is out for 6 days, while Ashley Young will be out for 3-4 months, which is a massive blow. Then even more bad news as Emile Heskey was ruled out for 11 days.

Tottenham Hotspur - 30th November - Premiership

Tottenham in 3rd, in great form, this was never going to be easy and it was Spurs who started the brighter, David Bentley good play down the right found Defoe, but his header went wide. We really hadn't got into the game and I knew it was coming, Gareth Bale's cross found David Bentley who took his goal well with a smart finish. Bentley was having a cracker of a game and nearly made it 2-0, but his free kick went just wide. Palacios then drove a shot from 20 yards just over, and the pressure was relentless, despite this we nearly got on level terms, Luke Young's cross was met by Curtis Davies and only a Gomes at full stretch denied him.

The second half started brightly and David Bentley cleared off the line after Curtis Davies's header before Di Maria shot over from the edge of the box. Somehow Di Maria missed another chance, Reo-Coker's delivery found him 5 yards out, but his header was straight at the keeper. then bad news as the second game running, John Carew limped off, leaving me with 10 men, but it looked like it had a positive effect as Emile Heskey finished a good move but he was given offside, and then with 13 minutes left, Heskey went through again but Gomes just about saved a clever lob and Tottenham made sure of the win with 5 minutes left when Didier Zokora fired home from David Bentley's cross and then to end off a poor day, Robbie Keane capped off a good move to make it 3-0.

Tottenham 3-0 Aston Villa

David Bentley (12)

Didier Zokora (85)

Robbie Keane (90)

-------------

Aston Villa Vs West Brom - 3rd December - Premiership

Not catching teams at the right times, as West Brom looked to continue their good form which see's them in 9th place at the moment and the 1st shot of the match went our way, as Reo-Coker hit a good shot, but it was well saved by Carson. Reo-Coker then went close again, but his header again was kept out by Carson, but they couldn't keep us at bay for long as Luke Young provided the cross and on hand was John Carew to head home from 6 yards. Although injury hit us again as this time Ashley Young was taken off after just 26 minutes, but 10 minutes later, it was time to celebrate, Scott Carson poor touch, Emile Heskey disposessed him before slotting into the empty net and Heskey nearly doubled his tally for the day but Carson this time made a good save.

The second half was unbelievably boring but great from our perspective as West Brom's only 2nd half attempt was a 40 yard free kick from Robert Koren, although it was time to get nervous with 30 seconds to go as James Morrison scored from 10 yards with 30 seconds to go, but we held on to record a 1st win 6.

Aston Villa 2-1 West Brom

John Carew (21)

Emile Heskey (37)

James Morrison (90+3)

6th December - 12th December

Business in the market was being done after realising the lack of options we had following a couple of injuries.

Aston Villa Vs Everton - December 7th - Premiership

Well I weren't looking forward to the trip at Everton, Ash Young, Heskey, Carew, Agbonlahor, Petrov and Laursen all missing through injury, this certaintly wasn't going to be easy. Injuries we're so bad, that Harry Forrester, Andres Weimann and Adam McGurk we're all on the bench. The game was extremely tight early on, with only Leighton Baines having a shot on goal which was blocked by Luke Young, but then we nearly took the lead on 30 minutes when Steve Sidwell hit a rocket from 30 yards which Howard could only parry away, then 8 mintues later Gareth Barry's low drive from Di Maria's corner was cleared off the line by Phil Neville and at half-time the scores we're level.

The second half was awful to be honest, I didn't have many options to try and change it, so I kept the same team hoping to try and nick a goal, but it just weren't going to happen and on 88 minutes Phil Neville had the first effort off the second half from 20 yards, going just over and with time running out we we're lucky to get a point as Tim Cahill had a great oppurtunity with a mintue left of injury time but he fired his shot over. We ended with a point, and considering Everton we're 5th and 11 unbeaten and with all our injury problems, this was a good point in the end.

Aston Villa 0-0 Everton

13th December - 20th December

John Carew resumed to full fitness ahead of the weekend and some news in the transfer market as I completed the signing of Milos Krasic from Cska Moscow for £8.5 Million, he can play either right midfield or as an attacking midfield and will hopefully give me abit more craft in the midfield. Both Stiliyan Petrov and Emile Heskey recovered to full training later in the week, although Steve Sidwell is sidelined for 2 weeks.

Aston Villa Vs Middlesbrough - 13th December - Premiership

Big game, must win. Carew at least was back into training and on the bench, hopefully give him the last 15 minutes, but the game started in the worst possible fashion, Stuart Downing hittnig a wonderful free kick just 2 minutes in, but we recovered well and Gareth Barry came close from a good header after Saviola's cross, but then 5 minutes later we nearly fell 2 behind, but Guzan denied Alves. Barry again nearly equalized, this time a 30 yard free kick was well saved by Turnbull. Despite all our pressure, we went in trailing at the half way point.

18 seconds into the second half and we already had a chance, Di Maria was set through by Gareth Barry, but his shot was well tipped over. Barry himself then had a shot saved just 7 yards out, and despite being 12 shots to 2 and 57% possesion, We couldn't find a way through. Barry on 55 minutes then went close again as we piled on the pressure, but then finally the breakthrough, Di Maria's pass picked out James Milner who hit a stunning volley into the top corner from the edge of the box and somehow we weren't in front, Di Maria's cross found Reo-Coker, who's header was going in, but somehow Turnbull flicked it over the bar. Then again we was denied as Di Maria's shot was somehow kept out before Shawky cleared when Saviola looked to tap in, again Turnbull made a good save this time from Milner's left foot drive. Somehow the scored remained level.

Looking back at the game, How i didn't win was extra-ordinary, 23 shots to their 2 with 14 on target, it was no wonder Ross Turnbull was given a 8.1 rating.

Aston Villa 1-1 Middlesbrough

James Milner (57)

Stewart Downing (2)

------------------

Aston Villa Vs Steaua Bucharest - Uefa Cup, Group Stages - December 17th

This game really didn't matter. A pretty boring start saw no attacks in the 1st 15 minutes, although 2 minutes later, Steaua had the ball in the net, but it was dissalowed for offside. Steve Sidwell then came close for us, as his header was well kept out and from the resulting corner, we had the first goal, Milner's delivery and Craig Garnder headed home.

The second half was boring, although Craig Gardner's day was a day if mixed emotions as he was sent off with just 12 minutes left on the clock. Both teams seem pretty satisfied in playing out the game, with both teams already qualified.

Aston Villa 1-0 Steaua Bucharest

Craig Gardner (33)

December 21st - December 27th:

Well the week started off with the Uefa Cup draw, which saw me get SC Heerenveen before drawing either Benfica Or Panathinaikos if i got through the last 32, but in devasting news, John Carew was told he's miss 5 weeks of the season through an Ankle injury, which was gutting when he was in such good form, with 5 in his last 8 games.

Sunderland Vs Aston Villa - December 22nd - Premiership

Sunderland in poor form, it was a good time to play them, we really needed a win, and as we have yet to win an away game all season, this was the perfect chance, but I got off to an awful start and Marlon Harewood of all people put Sunderland ahead after 3 minutes. It was all Sunderland early on and it was 2-0 after 10 minutes, when Kenweyne Jones fired home from 6 yards, an awful start, but we put ourselves back in the game 2 mintues later when Angel Di Maria hit a beautiful free kick into the corner from 20 yards, moments later Harewood nearly made it 3-1, but Davies made a vital block. Jones then went close as Sunderland came in with more pressure. Teemu Taino then hit a lovely shot off the post, but we battled in there and Di Maria nearly grabbed his second, but his shot was well saved, in what was a fantastic first 30 minutes, although not for us. Emerson 5 minutes later fired over the top, as we looked to just stay in the game until the break, but we nearly got an equalizer, Emile Heskey's cross smashing against the bar, but at half-time we went in only 2-1 behind, slightly fortunate.

We started the second half well, I went abit more direct in our football and it seemed to be paying off as Emile Heskey and Gareth Barry all went close early on and with 20 mintues to go, we nearly found an equalizer but Saviola's effort was well saved by Fulop. We pressed and pressed but a goal really didn't look like coming as Sunderland defended well and despite all the ball we failed to create anything as we dropped yet more points.

Sunderland 2-1 Aston Villa

Marlon Harewood (4)

Kenweyne Jones (10)

Angel Di Maria (13)

--------------------------

Stoke City Vs Aston Villa - 26th December - Premiership

with pressure growing over my job at Villa, I knew I had to win, and with our first attack, we was ahead, Rasvan Rat with the free kick, John Carew met it at the front post and guided the ball home after 13 minutes. Gareth Barry nearly made it 2-0, 3 minutes later but his shot went just wide as we took the game to Stoke and I was soon jumping for joy, Angel Di Maria provided great width and a great cross for Emile Heskey to turn the ball home 26 minutes into the game, but we let Stoke back into the game 11 minutes later with their 1st attack, Liam Lawrence delivery was met by Danny Pugh to give Stoke a way back into the match, but in this lively match, goals were guarenteed and 2 minutes later we restored our 2 goal advantage, when James Milner had time to turn and finish inside the box and we nearly added a 4th, when Emile Heskey shot low into the corner, but Sorenson was equal to it and just when everything is going well, a bit of stupidity from Carlos Cuellar gifted Stoke a chance back into the match, when he fouled Ricardo Fuller and on the stroke of half-time Liam Lawrence tucked away the penalty.

The second half was again very lively and we was so close from having our 4th goal when Milner's cross struck the post and Saviola couldn't force the ball home. Glen Whelan then struck over the bar from long range for Stoke, before Saviola missed a guilt edged chance following Milner's lovely cross. Stoke kept going though and Liam Lawrence should of done better 10 yards out as his shot went over the bar. Sidibe then in the 85 minute struck a wonderful shot just past the post and then in injury time a PENALTY! to Us! when Faye brought down Heskey, Gareth Barry done the rest to put us out of site and give us our 1st away win of the season in a spectacular match!

Stoke City 2-4 Aston Villa

Danny Pugh (36)

Liam Lawrence (45+3)

John Carew (13)

Emile Heskey (27)

James Milner (40)

Gareth Barry (90+2)

To keep people upto date:

[font="Courier New"]| Pos   | Inf   | Team          |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| 1st   |       | Arsenal       |       | 20    | 16    | 3     | 1     | 39    | 13    | +26   | 51    | 
| 2nd   |       | Chelsea       |       | 20    | 13    | 5     | 2     | 41    | 10    | +31   | 44    | 
| 3rd   |       | Tottenham     |       | 20    | 11    | 4     | 5     | 35    | 21    | +14   | 37    | 
| 4th   |       | Man City      |       | 18    | 10    | 6     | 2     | 33    | 14    | +19   | 36    | 
| 5th   |       | Man Utd       |       | 16    | 10    | 5     | 1     | 33    | 13    | +20   | 35    | 
| 6th   |       | Bolton        |       | 20    | 9     | 7     | 4     | 25    | 22    | +3    | 34    | 
| 7th   |       | Everton       |       | 18    | 8     | 7     | 3     | 21    | 17    | +4    | 31    | 
| 8th   |       | Newcastle     |       | 19    | 8     | 5     | 6     | 24    | 21    | +3    | 29    | 
| 9th   |       | West Brom     |       | 19    | 8     | 2     | 9     | 24    | 31    | -7    | 26    | 
| 10th  |       | Liverpool     |       | 17    | 7     | 4     | 6     | 25    | 26    | -1    | 25    | 
[b]| 11th  |       | Aston Villa   |       | 20    | 6     | 7     | 7     | 24    | 29    | -5    | 25    | [/b]
| 12th  |       | Middlesbrough |       | 20    | 7     | 4     | 9     | 21    | 31    | -10   | 25    | 
| 13th  |       | Portsmouth    |       | 19    | 6     | 5     | 8     | 21    | 23    | -2    | 23    | 
| 14th  |       | Sunderland    |       | 20    | 6     | 4     | 10    | 27    | 32    | -5    | 22    | 
| 15th  |       | Blackburn     |       | 20    | 4     | 6     | 10    | 21    | 26    | -5    | 18    | 
| 16th  |       | West Ham      |       | 20    | 4     | 6     | 10    | 26    | 36    | -10   | 18    | 
| 17th  |       | Stoke         |       | 20    | 3     | 7     | 10    | 20    | 31    | -11   | 16    | 
| 18th  |       | Hull          |       | 20    | 3     | 7     | 10    | 13    | 28    | -15   | 16    | 
| 19th  |       | Fulham        |       | 20    | 3     | 4     | 13    | 19    | 38    | -19   | 13    | 
| 20th  |       | Wigan         |       | 20    | 0     | 4     | 16    | 7     | 37    | -30   | 4     |[/font] 

December 28th - January 3rd

Well news already known by everyone, but Milos Krasic finally joined up with the squad after his £8.5 Million move. Although in bad news, more injury woe as Nicky Shorey was told he'd be out for the next 5 days, missing the game against Chelsea in the FA Cup.

Aston Villa Vs Chelsea - Fa Cup 3rd round - 3rd January

A pretty much full strength team, although looking to play a different way today, with Krasic in behind Saviola, Heskey dropping to the bench, but Chelsea started brighter and Malouda came close heading just a yard over the top. The game was tight and both teams we're finding it tough to create any real chances, but a moment of magic gave Chelsea the lead as Deco fired in from 30 yards, Guzan had no chance. We we're finding it hard but nearly we're on level terms when Stiliyan Petrov headed over from Luke Young's cross, but it was 0-2 soon after, Vagner Love latching onto Mikel's pass to finish and probably end the game, 2 minutes later it was 0-3, Frank Lampard heading in Malouda's cross, this really was awful and Saviola summed the 1st half up when his shot from 12 yards went wide of the post.

Finally second half we got the ball down and started playing, Rasvan Rat nearly put us in with a shout, but his shot was kept out well by Cech, Heskey then tested Cech, as we looked to fight a way back into this match, but it just weren't coming, and on 80 minutes Salamon Kalou scored a wonderful individual goal to seal the game. Although we nearly got a consilation goal late on, but Cech made a world class save denying Heskey after great play from James Milner.

Aston Villa 0-4 Chelsea

Deco (23)

Vagner Love (31)

Frank Lampard (37)

Salamon Kalou (80)

Archived