An Aston Villa Story.

The-Perfect-Fm'er!

August 17th - August 23rd:

A quiet week, but a good one I suppose as Ashley Young signed a new 5 year deal worth £13,000,000. Everton we're chasing Gabriel Agbonlahor and lodged an £8 Million bid, which I decided to turn down. In injury news, Gabriel Agbonlahor returned back to full fitness, while Javior Saviola was told he'd miss the next week.

Premiership Results:

Portsmouth 1-2 Bolton

Liverpool 3-0 Sunderland

West Brom 2-0 Middlesbrough

Blackburn 4-0 Bristol City

Tottenham 1-0 Chelsea

Man City 1-0 Arsenal

Wolves 0-2 Manchester United

Newcastle 2-0 Everton

Fulham 2-1 Stoke City

Aston Villa Vs Preston North End - Sunday 23rd August - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Young, Bassong, Upson, Insua, Krasic, Barry, Reo-Coker, Young, Carew, Laurito. Bench: Schmeichel, Davies, Defour, Petrov, Milner, Di Maria, Saviola

Team: Well Davies and Nelson we're both struggling for full fitness, so Upson and Luke Young come in, while Steven Defour drops onto the bench for Nigel Reo-Coker.

We started fairly brightly, Preston had set-up in a 4-1-4-1 defensive formation and as we expected, we had alot of the ball. Gareth Barry drove a pass into the feet of Laurito, he turned onto his left foot, but his shot was saved well down low. Then some confusion as Kevin Nolan found some space down the right, he whipped in a lovely ball, Upson and Friedel both went for it, the ball ballooned up into there, but luckily enough Luke Young got their first to clear. 35 seconds later and I was behind, Nolan moved the ball down towards Chris Eagles, Eagles had a touch, he looked up and bent one from 25 yards beyond Friedel into the top corner. Then controversy as Andrew Driver lunged in, two footed on Nigel Reo-Coker, the ref was quick to act pulling out the Red Card. We started to take real control from there, Gareth Barry picked out Insua, providing good width on the left, he crossed in, headed out straight to Reo-Coker, he touched it out of his feet and smashed it towards goal, the keeper dived, but he had no chance as the ball screamed past him into the top corner! relief all around Villa Park. We was doing all the pressing and nearly took the lead when Ashley Young's cross found John Carew, but his header was superbly saved by Jamie Ashdown.

Half-time saw me make 3 changes, Gareth Barry, carrying an injury came off as Steven Defour came on, Milos Krasic and Laurito, both failed to have an impact and on came Javior Saviola and James Milner, I was really going for it now, we had to win. I told the players how dissapointed I was with the first 30 minutes, but it was behind them also, they had to concentrate on the job in hand and coming away with 3 points.

Oh boy did the lads respond, Nigel Reo-Coker battled in the midfield, he picked out Ashley Young...he came inside and kept coming, he gave it Carew, Carew turned, noone closed him down, he tried his luck from 20 yards..and it payed off as his shot flew past Ashdown into the top corner, just the start we was looking for. We kept pressing looking for the goal to end the contest...James Milner gathered the ball on the right, he floated in a good delivery, Reo-Coker got up well, but suddenly the ball dropped to the feet of Saviola, he hit it first time, this time Ashdown was upto the task. This was much better from our lads, we were popping it around with alot of confidence and we created another chance on 53 minutes when, Young's cross was nodded down by John Carew, Reo-Coker latched onto it, but his shot was fired over the top. Young and Carew again we're involved in another wasted opportunity, Young coming inside, gave the ball to Carew, he turned his man, but fired his shot over the top. Preston weren't out, and while we kept missing chances, they started to grow in confidence believing they could get something and if we weren't careful, they would. Chris Eagles found some space around our box again, this time he decided to tee up Billy Jones, who's thumping drive forced Friedel into a fine save. More lovely football saw us create another opportunity, Steven Defour found the feet of Saviola, he turned and looked up, slid it 5 yards to his right where Reo-Coker ran onto it and from 20 yards out, he drove it over the bar. 4 minutes left and we we're controlling the game but it was still nervy out there, but we kept going as Steven Defour picked out Luke Young, his cross found Saviola who knocked it back into the path of Ashley Young but his left foot shot went into the side netting. With 2 minutes left, Reo-Coker tried his luck yet again, 30 yards out, centre of goal, he hit a rifle, travelling at some speed Ashdown dived, he flew past his fingertips, but unfortunatly for Reo-Coker just over the bar too. This was getting silly, James Milner won the ball in midfield, he gave it to Carew, he turned and found Ashley Young in space, through on goal, but he dragged his shot well wide of the goal, but it didn't matter in the end as we held on for an important victory.

The game well changed on the red-card and that was the dissapointing thing about the game, Credit to the lads they used the ball well, but we was 1-0 down and finding it hard to break down the 5 man midfield Preston had put in place, who knows what would of happened, but one thing is for sure, we're going to have to improve over the course of the season.

Aston Villa 2-1 Preston North End

Nigel Reo-Coker (33)

John Carew (46)

Chris Eagles (13)

Whooooopppsss! I tried to cut it down, I didn't think i'd wrote so much.

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aston Villa Vs Doncaster Rovers - Wednesday 26th August - League Cup 2nd Round

Team News: Schmiechel, Reo-Coker, Upson, Ze Castro, Bouma, Krasic, Defour, Petrov, Di Maria, Carew, Laurito. Bench: Friedel, Davies, Nelson, Young, Barry, Milner, Agbonlahor.

Team: Well pretty much completly changed from the win over Preston, although still enough to beat this Doncaster side.

We started really well, Nigel Reo-Coker got down the right hand-side, he teased a lovely cross in and Laurito headed down, but Carl Ikeme pulled off a terefic save, but from the resulting corner, he couldn't do nothing about John Carew's header at the front post from Di Maria's flighted corner. Steven Defour was slowly finding his feet, and he created a move which nearly led to the second, he battled in the midfield to disposses Stock, before releasing John Carew, but his effort was well off target. It was so close to two, when Reo-Coker on the right picked out a cross to Angel Di Maria, he picked the ball up then jinked past the right back, but his shot from a tight angle, went across the face of goal. Then some bad news as John Carew was taken off with an injury, James Milner came as a sub. But the Villa faithful and I we're soon celebrating when Bouma's ball into the box was collected by Federico Laurito, who spun the defender and finished well into the corner.

Well I couldn't of really asked for much more, we'd controlled the game from the word go and we're 2-0 up...just keep going and don't get complacement is what I told the players.

It seemed like they had listened as 10 minutes into the second half, we had killed the game, a short free kick from Di Maria found Upson, he had time to pick out a pass to Milos Krasic, completly un-marked 8 yards out, he received the ball and comfortably slotted it into the corner past the keeper. With 25 minutes left, I brought on Gabriel Agbonlahor, his first came back after 5 weeks out. We finished the game in great style, Petrov collected the ball 20 yards out, he shifted it out wide to Milner, he drove inside and picked a perfect cut back to Steven Defour who picked his spot and drove it into the bottom left hand corner.

It was a great performance, okay we wasn't playing world beaters, but we ripped the apart. They had 1 shot all game from 30 yards and that was it, we kept the ball well and moved them around the pitch very well, we needed to carry that passing and confidence into our next league game. I told the boys they played well and it was good to see people trying to earn their place in the team.

Aston Villa 4-0 Doncaster Rovers

John Carew (6)

Federico Laurito (45+1)

Milos Krasic (55)

Steven Defour (80)

August 24th - August 31st:

Well in dissapointing news, John Carew has been ruled out of action for the next 12 days. In transfer news, I rejected a £15 Million bid for star winger Ashley Young from Liverpool. Along with transfer theme, Young centre back Ciaran Clark moved to Hartlepool on loan for 5 months. In the league cup, I was drawn Wolverhampton Wanderers in the 3rd round.

Premiership Results:

Arsenal 6-0 Fulham

Bolton 0-1 Middlesbrough

Bristol City 1-3 Liverpool

Man City 2-0 Wolves

Preston 2-1 Blackburn

West Brom 1-4 Tottenham

Sunderland 2-1 Newcastle

Everton 2-0 Portsmouth

Stoke City Vs Aston Villa - Saturday 29th August - Premiership

Teams News: Friedel, Nelson, Davies, Bassong, Insua, Milner, Defour, Barry, Young, Krasic, Laurito

Bench: Schmeichel, Bouma, Upson, Reo-Coker, Petrov, Di Maria, Agbonlahor

Team: Well with John Carew and Saviola both out and also a not fully fit Agbonlahor, I've decided to try out a 4-4-1-1 formation with Krasic playing just off Laurito.

We didn't make the best of starts, Liam Lawrence found space on the right hand side, as he looked up, he saw Glen Whelan, he cut it back into his path, but Glen Whelan from outside the area failed to keep his shot down. Then again Lawrence was involved as Stoke came forward, Danny Pugh found former Villan Emile Heskey, who dropped it off to Lawrence, Lawrence bent his shot around Insua and saw the net bulge, luckily for us, it was the side netting and on 7 minutes, it had been coming, Jack Collison's long ball forward, Heskey flicked on, Davies and Bassong completly failed to clear and Inigo Diaz De Cerio tucked the ball away from the penalty spot. Then our first chance came on the 20th minute mark, Laurito brought down, Ashley Young stepped over the ball, he hit it well, but it took a slight deflection and went just wide for a corner. This was better from us now, Barry won a tackle in midfield, he released Laurito, I was hoping he'd go at him, but instead he hit it early, the ball went past the keeper, but flew just wide. Laurito was really getting into things now, as again he received the ball, showed a good burst of pace to get away from Collison, but his shot again just missed the target. Then it was Ashley Young, who had a decent effort, he got the ball from Barry, cut inside and hit a good shot, but to close to the keeper and it was palmed away, but in this cracking game, chances we're falling to either side as this time Glen Whelan fizzed in a right foot shot, which Friedel was equal too. From the resulting corner, Ryan Shawcross rose up above the crowd, but he saw his header smash against the bar. Right on half-time, Ashley Young drove in a great corner, the ball fell to Bassong, he turned and hit a right foot shot, the ball was creeping in, but in came Danny Pugh to hack off the line.

At half-time, I told the players that they we're still in the game and that when we had the ball, we we're dangerous, keep moving the ball about and let's get Young and Krasic on the ball, but there was definate problems, as we couldn't get the ball enough, so I told Barry and Defour to get alot tighter to their midfield pair.

It started well, Defour receieved the ball deep, he picked out Milos Krasic, who found some space, he ran at their back 4, but his shot went over the top. This was alot better now, as Milner's cross found Laurito, with his back to goal, he set it into the path of Defour, Defour first time lashed the ball towards the goal, but it went just over. Again we come on the attack, Bassong won the ball from Heskey, he set it to Defour, his lovely cross field pass found James Milner, he attacked the full back and whipped in a good cross, Laurito missed it, Ashley Young came in at the back post, but Griffin got their and tried to smash it clear, but his clearence smashed the knees of Liam Lawrence and the ball re-bounded straight past Sorenson to make it 1-1. This was great football now, Nelson gave it inside to Defour, to Milner, into Defour, 1st time into Krasic, he turned and picked out Laurito, Laurito first time tried to bend it into the top corner, but just struck over the bar. On 75 minutes, I made our first chance bringing of Laurito for Agbonlahor, in the hope he could cause some problems late on with his pace. Then out of nowhere really, Glen Whelan, found Lawrence, his clever pass found Diaz De Clerio...He without taking a touch fired home in the 86th minute, I sank...but then I looked down the line and thankfully the linesman flag was up. No goal. The 92 minutes, Ashley Young lines up a free kick 25 yards out, he bends it, Sorenson dives, he get's nowhere near it, but the ball smashes into the side netting, so close, as the game ends 1-1.

Well after an average first half, we really got to grips with the game from there and played some good football, it was good to see that away from home, but we just need start converting these games into wins right now.

Stoke City 1-1 Aston Villa

Inigo Diaz De Cerio (7)

Liam Lawrence Own Goal (59)

September 1st - September 12th:

The 2 weeks we're quiet one's, with the majority of players out on international duty, although the return of John Carew from injury is a boost. Along with this Javior Saviola is also back and ready to play. Milos Krasic is out for 10 days after picking up an injury at the game against Arsenal.

Premiership Results:

Middlesbrough 1-1 Everton

Blackburn 5-2 Stoke City

Fulham 1-2 Man City

Liverpool 3-0 Preston

Man United 3-1 West Brom

Newcastle 2-0 Bristol City

Wolves 0-1 Chelsea

Portsmouth 0-1 Sunderland

Tottenham 2-0 Bolton

Aston Villa Vs Arsenal - Saturday 12th September - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Nelson, Davies, Bassong, Insua, Milner, Barry, Defour, Young, Krasic, Saviola

Bench: Schmeichel, Reo-Coker, Upson, Di Maria, Agbonlahor, Laurito, Carew.

Team: Second half of the Stoke game was encouraging, so I was hoping we could capture that sort of passing and movement into this game, Saviola came in for Laurito as the only change.

It was a tight start as both teams we're playing a short sharp game, Arsenal created the first opening though 7 minutes in, Gourcuff sent over a flighted free kick, Gallas rose well over Bassong, but his header went just over the top. Then Arsenal we're on the attack again, Eboue sent over a cross, we didn't deal with it, Van Persie collected the ball, he drove at our defence, left side of the area before hitting a powerful shot, which Friedel parried away. Again Friedel was called into action, Gourcuff found too much room in the midfield, he turned and stuck a good shot, but it was straight at Big Brad. The Holte was getting resteless as we kept giving the ball away cheaply, pass after pass after pass, given away, Arsenal we're comnig at us, Fabregas then hit a shot from 30 yards but it was well wide, before finally our first effort of the match 40 minutes in, Young's delivery was headed away, Defour picked it up, he slid it across to Barry, 20 yards out, he had a go at goal, the keeper was scrambling, but the ball went inches over. This was better now from Villa, as Curtis Davies picked out Javior Saviola, Saviola turned, he ran at Gallas, he shifted the ball to his right hand side and hit a shot across Almunia, but it missed the post.

Half-time, well defensivly we'd give them hardly any time and had reduced them to just long shots, however our passing had been very poor, we'd failed to keep the ball for large parts to just letting ourselves in for added pressure and work. I drilled it into the players that Supporters had come to see us play, and we couldn't string two passes together, I made a bold move, bringing off Ashley Young for Angel Di Maria, to hopefully give us someone who will come more in field and link up with Saviola.

It didn't have the desired effect as we started slowly, 10 minutes into the second half, Van Persie, won the ball, he came inside, gave it to Adebayor, he turned and picked out a wonderful pass to an un-marked Samir Nasri, Nelson was nowhere to be seen, Samir Nasri took it in his stride before sliding the ball past Friedel. With that I brought off a tired Gareth Barry and James Milner, and on came Reo-Coker in the centre and Carew, to go 2 upfront with Krasic on the right. Nasri 3 minutes later tried to double his tally when he hit a 30 yard free kick, this time his shot was well wide. Arshavin the sent in a corner, Kolo Toure rose, he headed it goalwards, Friedel dived, but it was too late, it was past him and in the net for 0-2, and with 25 minutes to go, we was running out of ideas, it looked like game over. Samir Nasri came close to adding a third as Fabregas played him in, but his shot went straight at Friedel, 3 points we're going back to London as Arsenal were rampant. Perhaps there was life, after some good football, Saviola found Di Maria, he drove into the box and forced Almunia into a good save, there was 20 minutes to go, it looked impossible. Then John Carew fired a lovely shot from 25 yards, inches over the bar with 5 minutes left, it would of made a great finish, Then Carew again a minute later, thumped a header off the bar from Di Maria's corner, Then in the last minute we did have a goal, it was too late though, Angel Di Maria, fired in a wonderful free-kick in the last minute, but the Ref was about to blow as Arsenal held on for the 3 points.

We gave it a good go, Can't have too many complaints about the result, we just need to bounce back.

Aston Villa 1-2 Arsenal

Angel Di Maria (90+3)

Samir Nasri (55)

Kolo Toure (67)

13th September - 20th September:

Nothing of note....

Premiership Results:

Sunderland 4-1 Middlesbrough

Stoke 0-0 Liverpool

West Brom 0-1 Chelsea

Bristol City 0-4 Portsmouth

Arsenal 1-0 Blackburn

Fulham 0-0 Wolves

Everton 2-2 Tottenham

Preston 1-3 Newcastle

Bolton 0-0 Man United

Manchester City Vs Aston Villa - Sunday 20th September - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Davies, Bassong, Insua, Young, Barry, Defour, Di Maria, Saviola, Laurito. Bench: Schmeichel, Nelson, Upson, Petrov, Milner, Agbonlahor, Carew

Team: Again it's 4-2-3-1 / 4-4-1-1....with Saviola playing off Laurito this time as Krasic is out.

This was a good start, as we kept things tight early on, We lost 5-1 here last time and it was vital we tried to disrupt their pattern of passing early on and give them something to think about. Unlike the Arsenal game, we we're finally enjoying good spells of possesion, unfortunatly our final ball was lacking. Then on 28 minutes, a long ball by Curtis Davies, Laurito, slightly slow to react finally chased it down, the keeper come out, he mis-controlled it, Laurito and Given went into each other just outside the area, the ball run lose, but luckily for Man City, Richards was round to cover and clear. Then a lapse of concentration and it was 1-0, as Robinho went past Bassong as if he weren't even their, before smashing it past Brad Friedel. It seemed to knock alot out of us and it was nearly 2-0 as Robinho's blocked shot fell to Wright Phillips, but his shot was well saved by Friedel.

Our main problem was, Saviola the link between the striker and midfield was having a poor game and we failed to keep possesion at times because of him, or when we did keep the ball, the moves broke down, so we brought on John Carew for Saviola in order to try and change things.

It didn't work, Zhirkov found space on the left, his cross into the box, Insua was half-asleep, completly ball watching as Shaun Wright Phillips slid in from close range to double City's lead. We decided to show some fight and spirit, Defour gave it inside to Laurito, he found Carew, who slipped it through the defence for Angel Di Maria, who drove into the box and finished well to put us in with a shout. 15 mintes later, John Carew found an opening 25 yards out, he hit the ball as true as he could, but Given got down low, to make a fine save. 5 Minutes later, Richards headed the ball out, it fell to the feet of Steven Defour, he clipped the most of wonderful balls over the top of the defence perfectly into the path of John Carew, Carew brung it down, he had time on his weaker left foot, Given came rushing out...he waited, he hit it...Given dived....he had no chance, the ball had sailed in and with 10 minutes to go it was 2-2, The away crowd and myself we're celebrating it like a winner. 10 minutes to go though, we needed to hold on. Then on 87 minutes, Ashley Young delivered a corner, the ball dropped on the edge of the box, Defour raced in, he hit low and hard...this time Given made a good save, Given quickly kicked it out, we failed to deal with it, as Robinho ran the ball down the right, he got in a cross, Zhirkov at the back post, un-marked, head's it the ball beats Friedel as I look on in despair, but it loops back off the crossbar and Reo-Coker clears, amazing end to end game and with that the game was over, we'd stopped Man City winning their 5th game in a row, and it felt great.

What a game and what a fightback, we showed great spirit and it really was fantastic against the Premiership leaders!!

Man City 2-2 Aston Villa

Robinho (38)

Shaun Wright Phillips (54)

Angel Di Maria (59)

John Carew (82)

Aston Villa Vs Wolves - Wednesday 27th September - League Cup 3rd Round.

Team News: Friedel, Nelson, Upson, Bassong, Insua, Young, Barry, Defour, Di Maria, Carew, Laurito. Bench: Schmeichel, Reo-Coker, Upson, Petrov, Milner, Agbonlahor, Saviola.

Team: Straight back to 4-4-2 for this one.

This was important for us, we knew the league would be tough, and we wanted to make our mark in the cup. We started well, Insua gave the ball inside to Defour, he turned...took a touch and unleashed a wonderful effort just over the bar, but Wolves come back with a reply as Keogh, came inside and set up Edwards, but his shot went over the bar by some margain. Wolves we're set-up as a 4-5-1, and they we're really fustrating us as we failed to find a way through. 28 minutes John Carew picked up a nock, I decided to bring Agbonlahor in his place. 4 mintues later, Laurito picked the ball up on the left, he came inside, then he played a clever reverse ball into the path of Di Maria, who lined up his shot and hammered the ball home to give ourselves a lead. A Goal that really settled us down

I couldn't really say much to the players, I just said keep going, keep moving the ball about and try to pick them off, be patient and don't force the ball...keep going!

We certaintly keep going as Laurito was involved again as he sliced a ball through to Young, who hit it with his right foot, but his effort crept just past the post. We we're seeing the game through very well as Wolves just couldn't create anything, nor we're we, but that didn't matter. Then on 68 minutes, Defour found Ashley Young in space, he used his pace to pull away from his marker, he looked up and just flighted the ball towards the back post and on the end of it was Federico Laurito to nod in his second goal for club and kill the game. On that moment Laurito and Barry we're coming off for a deserved rest, while Saviola and Reo-Coker finished the last 20 minutes. 4 minutes later, Reo-Coker found Saviola, he flicked towards Agbonlahor, Agbonlahor turned and faced Berra, he knocked it 5 yards, used his acceleration to gain half a yard and then smash it into the net from 10 yards.

I couldn't really of asked for more in terms of performance and result, fantastic.

Aston Villa 3-0 Wolves

Angel Di Maria (33)

Federico Laurito (69)

Gabriel Agbonlahor (74)

21st September - 27th September:

John Carew will miss the next game, after he was ruled out of action for 5 days, after picking up an injury against Wolves. In the league cup, I was given the worst draw possible as I draw Manchester United at Old Trafford.

Premiership Results:

Wolves 1-2 West Brom

Blackburn 1-3 Man City

Chelsea 2-0 Bolton

Man United 0-1 Everton

Middlesbrough 2-0 Bristol City

Portsmouth 2-1 Preston

Liverpool 1-3 Arsenal

Newcastle 3-0 Stoke

Tottenham 0-2 Sunderland

Aston Villa Vs Fulham - Saturday 30th September - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Upson, Bassong, Insua, Young, Barry, Defour, Di Maria, Saviola, Laurito. Bench: Schmeichel, Davies, Nelson, Petrov, Krasic, Milner, Agbonlahor.

Team: Just one swap from win against Wolves, with Saviola in for Carew, which means we have to change the way we play a touch, but hopefully shouldn't be a problem, must win game.

Amazing seens as in the 4th minute, Barry hustled with Johnson for the ball, he came out on top and in bad reaction, Johnson lunged in 2 footed, Barry luckily weren't injured, but the Ref had no other option but to send him off. From the resulting free-kick, Defour picked it up short, but his long range effort went yards wide. 5 minutes later, Ashley Young drove down the right hand side, his cross was headed half away, Barry won the second ball, it dropped to Laurito, he tee'd it off to Javior Saviola who hit a crisp shot from the edge of the box that rolled into the bottom corner. We we're struggling to open Fulham up, they we're battling it hard. 25 minutes into the game, Insua collected the ball on the left, he come inside, gave it to Barry, who played a short ball to Steven Defour, he took a touch forward, noone closed him, so he decided to have a shot, he struck it sweetly, the ball flew, flew into the net, a remarkable goal from 30 yards out. Mark Schwarzer was then called into action as we ripped Fulham apart, good quick passing give Di Maria space, but his shot was superbly tipped wide. 4 minutes left of the half and Defour picked the ball up, he passed it around Maurice Edu into Saviola, with his back to goal, he turned quickly, got away from his man and superbly guided the ball past Schwarzer.

I knew the game was over in the back of my mind, but I didn't let it come across me, as I told them to keep going, goal difference is key, go get more goals, but just don't do anything rash....it was simple, to just keep passing it, and moving them about, gaps will appear. I decided to give a tired Barry a rest and brought on Milos Krasic on in his place.

The game in the second half had completly died and it was if all the players we're just waiting for the whistle, so I took Young and Di Maria off and brought on Milner and Agbonlahor to add some pace into the game. It seemed to work as Agbonlahor's cross was headed out by Hughes, the ball fell to Defour, he hit another rasping drive, this time just over the top. Defour then went for another, again he had the keeper worried, but this time his shot went inches wide. It was again nearly 4-0 as James Milner crossed and Paul Konchesky mis-hit his kick and the ball re-bounded off the post, but back out to safety. The damage was done in the 1st half as the game died out.

Comfortable and Easy.

Aston Villa 3-0 Fulham

Javior Saviola (10, 42)

Steven Defour (29)

28th September - 3rd of October:

In good news, Angel Di Maria won Young player of the month award, with Emiliano Insua in second. On top of that, Steven Defour's lovely striker against Fulham meant he came second in the goal of the month awards. Javior Saviola has been ruled out for 5 days. 3 home wins out of 4 games, and 3 unbeaten away, we've definatly improved, It's just turning away draws into victories now.

Premiership Results:

Bolton 2-1 West Brom

Fulham 0-0 Blackburn

Preston 0-2 Middlesbrough

Stoke 1-1 Portsmouth

Sunderland 0-2 Man United

Bristol City 0-0 Tottenham

Man City 3-3 Liverpool

Everton 0-0 Chelsea

Arsenal 2-0 Newcastle

Aston Villa Vs Wolves - Saturday 3rd October - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Upson, Bassong, Insua, Young, Barry, Defour, Di Maria, Saviola, Laurito. Bench: Schmeichel, Davies, Nelson, Krasic, Milner, Agbonlahor, Carew.

Team: Excatly same team that played against Fulham, although Carew returns to the bench.

We didn't start quickly at all as David Edwards had a free header for Wolves, 10 yards out but it went well wide. David Jones then fired in a free kick, Friedel scrambled he couldn't get close, but the ball re-bounded off the underside of the bar and bounced out. This was an awful start. It took us 36 minutes till our first chance, Ashley Young free kick on the right, instead of crossing it, he pulled it back to De Maria, his right foot effort was well saved, but the ball fell into the off Bassong, he swung his leg at it, he connected it with it sweetly, Hennessy dived but couldn't keep it out! 1-0. Ashley Young again on another set peice, this time a corner was sent in, Laurito rose highest, but failed to get his header on target, as we went in 1-0 at the break.

This was a poor performance but we we're 1-0 up, I told the players they needed to up their game, keep the ball more and don't get complacement, Saviola was carrying a knock and was struggling, so I brought on Agbonlahor, in the hope we could catch them on the break.

We started much better, Barry slid in Di Maria, he turned and swung his right foot at it, he hit it well, but it crashed into the side netting. Then disaster, David Jones corner, and David Edwards like in the 1st half, got up really well, and thumped a header past Friedel. We came back with a reponse, 2 minutes later, Ashley Young drilled in a low shot, Hennessy failed to Hold, Berra looked like he was going to clear, Agbonlahor raced in, got their second before him and slid in the re-bound! Laurito and Defour then shortly after had long range efforts, but both attempts when well wide. 2 minutes later, Gabriel Agbonlahor recieved the ball deep, he threaded a lovely ball through to Laurito, he went around the keeper before slotting into the empty net, for his 1st league goal of the season, and with that on came Carew and Krasic for Laurito and Young. We needed to make sure we saw the game through, but we nearly let Wolves back into the game as Kallio found Keogh, his left foot effort went wide though. Di Maria was in great form, he recieved the ball on the left, a beautiful little turn away from Simpson, drove into the box, but his shot was straight at the keeper and again he was down the left, past Simpson, he picked out Carew, surely a goal....somehow Hennessy kept him out. Reo-Coker then tried to get himself on the scoresheet, after latching onto Agbonlahor flicked, but his shot went inches over the bar.

The win saw us move upto 5th, although other teams yet to play, but after a poor 1st half, we got into it second half and we played much better.

Aston Villa 3-1 Wolves

Sebastien Bassong (37)

Gabriel Agbonlahor (52)

Federico Laurito (65)

Dave Edwards (50)

October 4th - October 17th:

Mid-way through the international break, I signed Barcelona 16 year old called Antonio Sole for £1.6 Million, scouts told me he would become a leading premiership player. Then more good news as Angel Di Maria signed a new 4 year deal at the club.

Premiership Results:

Wolves 2-0 Bolton

Chelsea 2-0 Sunderland

Middlesbrough 2-1 Stoke

Newcastle 0-1 Man City

Portsmouth 0-1 Arsenal

Tottenham 3-0 Preston

Man United 5-0 Bristol City

West Brom 3-1 Everton

Liverpool 1-0 Fulham

Blackburn Rovers Vs Aston Villa - Saturday October 17th - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Upson, Bassong, Insua, Young, Barry, Defour, Di Maria, Krasic, Agbonlahor. Bench: Schmeichel, Davies, Nelson, Krasic, Milner, Laurito, Saviola, Carew.

Team: 4-5-1 With Krasic in midfield with Agbonlahor as a lone striker, to stop Blackburn's holding player getting on the ball.

It was tight early on and after 8 minutes, Barry found Di Maria who in turn give it short to Insua, Insua got to byline, his cross deflected to Di Maria but from 5 yards out, he could only hit it straight at Robinson. 10 minutes later Santa Cruz cut the ball back into the path of Warnock, who sent a stunning shot just past the upright. 3 Minutes later we showed some great football, as Barry found Agbonlahor who touched it off to Krasic, Krasic shot unfortunatly went over the bar. Shortly after we had a corner, Ashley Young put in a great ball, Robinson tried to claim it, it went over him and Milos Krasic a yard out couldn't miss! 0-1! Excatly what we wanted, Blackburn came at us, this is where we was best, as Young found Agbonlahor on the counter, Agbonlahor kept going, he gave it back to Young who's cross found Defour, but from 18 yards out his shot was well saved, As we went in 0-1 at half-time.

I Told the players just to defend properly, take your time and hit them on the counter, just make sure you don't get sloppy.

Signs we're Blackburn we're going to go at us from the start, as Gamst Pederson on 46 minutes hit a good shot which forced Friedel into a save. A minute later, Ooijer's perfect cross found Santa Cruz racing in, but his header was straight at Friedel. Again Santa Cruz found space in the box, this time his shot was well blocked. "Oooo" I shouted as Young's cross gave Di Maria a chance to rise highest, but his header went inches wide. 70 minutes time for a sub as Agbonlahor and Young came off for Laurito and Milner. Blackburn we're pressing and Santa Cruz again forced Friedel into a save, 15 minutes to go. Steven Reid then broke into the box with 5 minutes to go, he hung a ball to the back post and in went Diouf, it looked a certainty for him to score, but in came Bassong with a vital interception, from there we saw the game out to gain our first 3 points on the road this year.

Fantastic!

Blackburn Rovers 0-1 Aston Villa

Milos Krasic (29)

[font="Courier New"]
| Pos   | Inf   | Team          |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Arsenal       |       | 8     | 7     | 0     | 1     | 18    | 3     | +15   | 21    | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | Man City      |       | 8     | 6     | 2     | 0     | 15    | 7     | +8    | 20    | 
| 3rd   |       | Man Utd       |       | 7     | 5     | 1     | 1     | 15    | 2     | +13   | 16    | 
| 4th   |       | Chelsea       |       | 7     | 5     | 1     | 1     | 9     | 2     | +7    | 16    | 
| 5th   |       | Middlesbrough |       | 8     | 5     | 1     | 2     | 12    | 9     | +3    | 16    | 
| 6th   |       | Liverpool     |       | 8     | 4     | 3     | 1     | 16    | 9     | +7    | 15    | 
[b]| 7th   |       | Aston Villa   |       | 8     | 4     | 3     | 1     | 14    | 8     | +6    | 15    | [/b]
| 8th   |       | Tottenham     |       | 8     | 4     | 2     | 2     | 12    | 8     | +4    | 14    | 
| 9th   |       | Newcastle     |       | 8     | 4     | 1     | 3     | 11    | 6     | +5    | 13    | 
| 10th  |       | Sunderland    |       | 8     | 4     | 1     | 3     | 10    | 10    | 0     | 13    | 
| 11th  |       | Everton       |       | 8     | 2     | 4     | 2     | 9     | 10    | -1    | 10    | 
| 12th  |       | West Brom     |       | 8     | 3     | 0     | 5     | 9     | 14    | -5    | 9     | 
| 13th  |       | Blackburn     |       | 8     | 2     | 2     | 4     | 12    | 10    | +2    | 8     | 
| 14th  |       | Bolton        |       | 8     | 2     | 2     | 4     | 4     | 9     | -5    | 8     | 
| 15th  |       | Fulham        |       | 8     | 2     | 2     | 4     | 4     | 13    | -9    | 8     | 
| 16th  |       | Portsmouth    |       | 8     | 2     | 1     | 5     | 8     | 9     | -1    | 7     | 
| 17th  |       | Wolves        |       | 8     | 1     | 1     | 6     | 4     | 13    | -9    | 4     | 
| 18th  |       | Stoke         |       | 8     | 0     | 3     | 5     | 6     | 15    | -9    | 3     | 
| 19th  |       | Preston       |       | 8     | 1     | 0     | 7     | 5     | 17    | -12   | 3     | 
| 20th  |       | Bristol City  |       | 8     | 0     | 2     | 6     | 2     | 21    | -19   | 2     | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/font]

October 18th - October 24th:

Err......we trained.

Premiership Results:

Blackburn 2-1 Wolves

Sunderland 0-1 West Brom

Bristol City 0-1 Chelsea

Everton 0-1 Bolton

Fulham 2-2 Newcastle

Arsenal 4-1 Middlesbrough

Stoke 2-1 Tottenham

Man City 2-0 Portsmouth

Aston Villa Vs Liverpool - Saturday 24th October - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Upson, Bassong, Insua, Young, Barry, Defour, Di Maria, Krasic, Carew. Bench: Schmeichel, Davies, Nelson, Krasic, Milner, Laurito, Saviola, Agbonlahor.

Team: 4-5-1 With Krasic in midfield, Carew as a lone striker, hopefully build up attacks slowly, keep the ball and then get crosses into the box.

Didn't seem to work early on as Steven Gerrard found space 30 yards out, his shot just angleing past the post, but we came back into it, Krasic picked the ball up in midfield and doing what he does best, running at their defence, he got past 2, his cross was cut out but it fell to Ashley Young, his header was heading for the top corner, but Reina saved well. This was setting upto a great match, Mascherano robbed Barry off the ball, he continued and continued and shot just wide from the edge of the box. Then on 15 minutes, Di Maria picked the ball up, he fired a shot, Reina was beaten, but the ball smashed off the bar, it re-bounded into the path of Defour, he controlled it and hit it early giving Reina no chance, 1-0!! Liverpool came back with a bang, Mascherano headed the ball to Gerrard, Gerrard 2 defender out of position before sliding the ball back to Mascherano who finished past Friedel. 8 minutes later, Jamie Carragher found himself in our box, he dinked a ball to the back post where Fernando Torres rose highest, but his header went over the bar. Liverpool we're really controlling the game, as they push forward, Angel Di Maria won the ball in midfield, he dropped it to Carew who drove forward and played in a lovely ball to Ashley Young, he took a touch and smashed it into the bottom corner! Liverpool again come back strongly though as Gerrard fed Mascherano who slipped in Arbeloa, who finish well from 6 yards on the stroke of half-time.

I told the boys to keep going, we need to play better than this, and keep it stronger defensivly. We we're alright going forward, we knew we could win the game, we had belief.

7 Minutes after the break, Carragher found Babel, he cut inside of Reo-Coker fired in a good shot, Upson was there to head it out for a corner, but we couldn't keep them out for long as Babel's corner found Torres at the front post who guided in a wonderful header. Gerrard then nearly added a 4th, he hit a sizzler from 35 yards, which bent inches around Friedel's post. 66 Minutes it was time for change as Krasic came off for Federico Laurito to give us 2 men upfront. Oh my didn't it work, 40 seconds after coming on, Insua the former Liverpool player, broke down the left, his cross was just perfect, Laurito rose above Martin Skrtel to head home an equalizer! With that I replaced a tired Carew with the pacey legs of Agbonlahor. Moments later Liverpool had a corner, Babel delivered, Cacares rose highest, his header beat Friedel, but there Insua to hack it off the line. Agbonlahor then had a glimmer of a chance as he recieved the ball 20 yards out, but his effort was well off target. Then 87 minutes, Di Maria went down the left, he was stopped by Arbeloa, the ball fell to Insua, he swung a cross, Laurito met it again, Reina saves, ball drops to Agbonlahor...."gooooooooallllllllll!!!" I yelled, we'd got in front with 3 minutes to go, amazing!!!! Liverpool came at us with minutes to go, but the Ref blew up! We'd won 4-3!

Just simply sensational!!!!!!! Best game I've managed so far here at Villa.

Aston Villa 4-3 Liverpool

Steven Defour (16)

Ashley Young (41)

Federico Laurito (69)

Gabriel Agbonlahor (87)

Javior Mascherano (21)

Alvaro Arbeloa (45+1)

Fernando Torres (54)

October 25th - October 28th:

Nothing happening really, apart from a great buzz and feeling around the club after our recent results.

Premiership Results:

Bolton 1-1 Sunderland

Chelsea 3-0 Preston

Liverpool 3-1 Blackburn

Man United 1-0 Stoke

Middlesbrough 1-1 Man City

Portsmouth 3-0 Fulham

Tottenham 1-0 Arsenal

West Brom 2-1 Bristol City

Wolves 0-2 Everton

Newcastle Vs Aston Villa - Wednesday 28th October - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Bassong, Davies, Insua, Young, Defour, Barry, Di Maria, Agbonlahor, Carew. Bench: Schmeichel, L.Young, Upson, Milner, Krasic, Saviola, Laurito.

Team: Well i've gone back to 4-4-2, It's a big pitch at Newcastle and we feel we could exploit space in behind, however if balls over the top aren't really coming off, we still have a physical presence in Carew to battle for any direct balls. Davies in for Upson, Newcastle have alot of pace upfront.

The game was a tight one early on and no suprise the 1st chance came from a set peice, Guiterrez's corner picked out Steven Taylor, his header luckily for us just went wide of the mark. 4 mintues later, Newcastle we're ahead, Martins pass took a deflection of Barry's heel, the ball fell into the path of Nolan from from 7 yards out just couldn't miss. This was 1 way traffic as Obafemi Martins found room in the middle, but his shot was straight at Friedel, 1/3 of the game had gone and we'd yet to really get in their half. Huzsti then smashed in a 30 yards free kick which Friedel somehow tipped over the bar, before Guthrie's cross was headed over by Martins. Then Guthrie delivered a corner, Taylor again rose well like earlier, and again the ball went just wide. Jorge Valdivia then was denied has he turned and shot inside the box, however Friedel was upto the task.

At half-time it was 1-0 Newcastle, it could of been so much more, We needed something alot better than this so I brought of Carew for Milos Krasic to hopefully give us more of the ball. I told the players we were lucky to be in this and that they had to beleive in themselves.

The reacton I received was a good one as Di Maria picked out Agbonlahor, Gabby hit it first time, Harper scrambles, but the ball went just wide. Newcastle then had a chance of their own as Nolan again broke from midfield before forcing Friedel into a world class save from close distance. Nolan again got himself into the box on the end of Guthrie's cross, but Friedel again made a good save. We knew we needed a goal so off came Gareth Barry and on came Federico Laurito, to go 2 up top with Krasic in just behind, but a minute later, Huzsti whipped in a lovely free kick and on the end end of it was Fabricio Coloccini to put the game out of site. The players though battled on and Milos Krasic went close from 20 yards, but his effort went just wide off the post. We nearly then got back into, as Ashley Young's free kick crashed against the bar, but with 10 minutes to go, it seemed to late now to get two goals. The whistle went and it was game over, We'd lost for the 1st time well in a while.

We just simply didn't turn up, poor defensivly from set peiced and too many times noone tracked Kevin Nolan.

Newcastle 2-0 Aston Villa

Kevin Nolan (14)

Fabricio Coloccini (68)

29th October - 31st October:

Well.....nothing.

Premiership Results:

Arsenal 2-1 Man United

Bristol City 0-1 Bolton

Fulham 1-3 Middlesbrough

Liverpool 2-1 Wolves

Man City 3-1 Tottenham

Preston 2-1 West Brom

Stoke 0-2 Chelsea

Sunderland 1-0 Everton

Blackburn 0-0 Newcastle

Aston Villa Vs Portsmouth - Saturday 31st October - Premiership

Team News: Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Bassong, Davies, Insua, Young, Defour, Barry, Di Maria, Krasic, Laurito. Bench: Schmeichel, L.Young, Upson, Milner, Agbonlahor, Saviola, Carew.

Into a 4-2-3-1 for this one, Krasic behind Laurito.

It started a tight one, we created the first opportunity 12 mintues in, Young's free kick found Bassong, he controlled it, slipped into Milos Krasic, who had time and space and he delivered a good finish to give us a lead. Krasic 8 minutes later nearly doubled his lead, as Laurito cut the ball back from the by-line, but Krasic hit his shot off the post. Ashley Young then delivered a wonderful corner and Federico Laurito got up highest but failed to keep his header down. I kind of thought back to the Newcastle game, I felt I got it wrong in that game, but not in this one, Di Maria got down the left and his cross went across the box and in came to grab his second goal. We we're on fire, some great passing and movement left the ball with Young on the right, he crossed perfcetly and up rose Laurito who headed home.

I told them to not drop their performances and keep going!

We didn't....Di Maria down the left, his cross was cut out as far as Steven Defour, who bent the ball into the corner. 60 minutes Portsmouth well grabbed a consilitation as Belhadj's corner picked out Osvaldo who got up well to head in for Portsmouth. We from there we're really controlling the game and it was easy to be honest, just keeping the ball, Defour nearly added to our lead, as he rifled in a ferocious effort from 30 yards, but it went a whisker wide. Niko Kranjcar then nearly gave Portsmouth a life-line, but his free kick went just over the top. We ended the game superbly though, the influential Milos Krasic, played a lovely ball to Saviola who turned the Portsmouth centre half before smashing it into the bottom corner.

Perfect performance.

Aston Villa 5-1 Portsmouth

Milos Krasic (13, 30)

Federico Laurito (37)

Steven Defour (46)

Javior Saviola (89)

Pablo Osvaldo (60)

1st November - November 7th:

A Great month all round, I personally won 2nd manager of the month, then Sebastien Bassong came 2nd while Steven Defour finished 3rd in the player of the month competition, before Federico Laurito also ended up with award of 2nd Young player of the month. Although Gabriel Agbonlahor was ruled out for 3 weeks with injury.

Premiership Results:

Portsmouth 6-3 Blackburn

Wolves 2-1 Sunderland

West Brom 1-0 Stoke

Chelsea 2-1 Arsenal

Newcastle 1-3 Liverpool

Bolton 0-0 Preston

Everton 2-0 Bristol City

Man United 0-2 Man City

Tottenham 3-0 Fulham

Middlesbrough Vs Aston Villa - Saturday 7th November - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Bassong, Davies, Insua, Young, Defour, Barry, Di Maria, Krasic, Laurito. Bench: Schmeichel, L.Young, Upson, Milner, Petrov, Saviola, Carew.

Team: Excatly same team, hoping for a repeat performance, only change coming on the bench with Petrov into the 18 man squad for the injured Agbonlahor.

Middlesbrough we're coming into this game with 4 wins in 6 and lying in 7th place, this was going to be a tough game. It was a good start as Steven Defour who is really starting to flourish hit a good shot from distance just over the bar. Middlesbrough then had a half chance of their own has Tuncay made himself half a yard, but his shot went wide of the target. Then a good chance as Ashley Young whipped in a good corner, Laurito got their first but failed to direct his header on target. They made us pay as Downing's cross went over everyone apart from Tuncay at the back post, who had a touch before firing in at Friedel's near post. Tuncay then went close again as he turned away from Bassong and hit a shot off the underside of the bar. Then on 36 minutes, Ashley Young received the ball out wide, he put in a good cross and in came Angel Di Maria who powered in a lovely header from 10 yards. Milos Krasic then came close from 20 yards after some good passing and moving from our side.

Not a bad half, we needed to improve but we we're still in the game and had match winners on the bench...Upson came on for Insua who was carrying an injury, Bassong went to left back.

Friedel early on in the second half was called into action when Alves showed good pace to take on Reo-Coker, but Friedel saved well. Chris Riggot then from the corner smashed a header against the side netting. Good work from Downing again set up Didier Digard who somehow missed the target from just 7 yards, It was all Boro at the start of the half. Then the goal as Gary O'Neil got down the right and put in a great cross and on the end of it was Tuncay Sanli, to score his second goal of the game, at that moment on came John Carew for Laurito. Didier Digard then fired wide from 25 yards as Boro looked for their 3rd goal. Then on 69 mins, Di Maria crossed, the ball fell to Barry, who pulled the ball back to Steven Defour, who smashed a wonderful striker into the top corner from 25 yards for hish 5th goal of the season. Then Middlesbrough replied in the 82nd minute as Didier Digard showed Defour how to do it even better by smashing in a fantastic 30 yard strike. Saviola on for Krasic, as the last roll of the dice. John Carew then nearly pulled it off as he got first to Young's cross, but could only guide his header wide as the game ended 3-2.

Dissapointed.

Middlesbrough 3-2 Aston Villa

Tuncay (18, 56)

Didier Digard (82)

Angel Di Maria (37)

Steven Defour (69)

Manchester United Vs Aston Villa - Wednesday 11th November - League Cup 3rd round

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Bassong, Upson, Insua, Young, Defour, Barry, Di Maria, Laurito, Saviola. Bench: Schmeichel, L.Young, Davies, Petrov, Krasic, Milner, Carew.

Man United started bright as Berbatov played in Rooney, Rooney hit a good shot, but Friedel made a smart save. Then some sloppy defending, Man United win a free kick, Evra plays in Berbatov inside the box, un-marked, he turns and finishes with ease. Upson then from kick off, gives the ball away, Rooney collects and get's a 1 on 1 with Friedel makes a smart save. 2-0 shortly after as Tosic's corner is headed in from Rio Ferdinand. Then a big chance as Saviola makes half a yard and crosses into the box, Laurito free header 6 yards out, has to score, but thumps header against the bar. Another great chance as Ashley Young floats a lovely ball to Gareth Barry, 1 on 1 with Foster, he tries to bend it round him but Foster makes a top class save.

Half-time, we might aswell go for it I told the players, we really had nothing to lose. On came Carew for Saviola and Krasic for Young.

We started well, Di Maria drove down the left hand side and produced a good cross, but Carew could only head straight at Ben Foster. Again Carew missed a great chance this time it was Insua's lovely cross which he failed to convert. Then the killer as Wayne Rooney raced away from the defence, Bassong brought him down, Bassong was given his marching orders. Then some hope with 15 mintues to go as Angel Di Maria was brought down by Rafael outside the area, he picked himself up and curled a delightful free kick into the top corner, game back on! Despite some late pressure, United held on with a solid defensive performance in the last 15 minutes to go through to the next round

Great effort to be fair.

Man United 2-1 Aston Villa

Dimitar Berbatov (8)

Rio Ferdinand (14)

Angel Di Maria (76)

8th November - 21st November

Sebastien Bassong was banned for 3 matches following the red-card in the league cup game against Manchester United, In Staff news, I signed Tony Whelan for £200,000 compensation from Manchester United, his main job was to work on shooting aspects of training. In great news, the extension of Villa Park was completed, the ground now holds 55,000 all seater.

Premiership Results:

Stoke 0-0 Bolton

Arsenal 1-0 West Brom

Blackburn 1-1 Middlesbrough

Fulham 1-5 Man United

Preston 1-2 Everton

Bristol City 1-3 Sunderland

Newcastle 4-0 Wolves

Liverpool 3-0 Portsmouth

Aston Villa Vs Tottenham - Saturday 21st November - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Upson, Davies, Insua, Young, Defour, Barry, Di Maria, Krasic, Laurito. Bench: Schmeichel, L.Young, De Castro, Petrov, Milner, Saviola, Carew

Team: Back to 4-2-3-1, in the excact way we lined up against Portsmouth, well only change that Suspended Bassong is out as Davies comes in.

Great start, Reo-Coker found room down the right, he crossed into the box and up went Laurito, his header just over the top. In a tight game, Chances were few and far between, Laurito went on a mazy run before shooting just wide from 20 yards. It took Tottenham 30 minutes to conjure up their 1st opportunity as Robbie Keane got half a yard but his left foot shot went way over the top. We responded well to that warning side as we worked the ball out to Di Maria, who found room before smashing a left footed shot just past the post. Then the breakthrough...but in the wrong direction as Robbie Keane found Darren Bent, who weren't picked up inside the box, Bent finished well to give Spurs a valuable lead. We we're having the chances but not putting them away as Ashley Young got free on the right, his cross was perfect, but Laurito failed to find the target 8 yards out.

I told the players I was pleased and they could win this, no changes at half-time.

We came out and started well, as on 50 minutes, Steven Defour should of done better as his left foot shot from 8 yards was a tame one straight at Gomes. Then 10 minutes later Milos Krasic had a glorius chances just 10 yards out on his right foot but he shot wide of the goal after good play by Barry. On came Carew and Petrov for Defour and Laurito, looking for a goal. 8 minutes later we got our reward for all our good play as Ashley Young's corner was beautifully delivered and in steamed Curtis Davies to head home from 6 yards, we didn't want to stop there, we wanted the win. Then 10 minutes later, Stiliyan Petrov found Nigel Reo-Coker, he got down the right well, played in a wonderful ball and John Carew met the ball first to glance it into the far top corner!! 88 mins, Robbie Keane got the ball in the middle of the pitch from Corluka, he turned ran at the defence, he smashed the ball low and hard, Friedel watched on, but the ball narrowly missed the post by inches. The seconds slowly ticked by as Tottenham come in with constant pressure and crosses, we we're dealing with them, but we needed to keep the ball...it was coming straight back at us. Finally 40 seconds after originally intended, the Ref finally blew for a massive 3 points, to move us behind on goal difference to Liverpool in 4th.

Cracking turn-around!

Aston Villa 2-1 Tottenham

Curtis Davies (70)

John Carew (79)

Darren Bent (38)

October 22nd - October 28th

Gabriel Agbonlahor returned to full training following his 3 week absence. While Ze Castro was ruled out for 2 weeks with an ankle injury.

Premiership Results:

Chelsea 2-0 Fulham

Everton 1-0 Stoke

MIDDLESBROUGH 6-1 LIVERPOOL

Portsmouth 3-2 Newcastle

Sunderland 1-0 Preston

Tottenham 2-0 Blackburn

West Brom 2-2 Man City

Wolves 2-1 Bristol City

Bolton 1-2 Arsenal

Manchester United Vs Aston Villa - Saturday 28th October - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Bassong, Davies, Insua, Young, Defour, Barry, Di Maria, Krasic, Laurito. Bench: Schmeichel, L.Young, Upson, Petrov, Milner, Saviola, Carew.

Team: Bassong in for Upson, that's about it..Same again as Tottenham.

Man United started well as Ronaldo set-up Tevez, but Tevez dragged his right foot shot wide. Tevez was at it again, as he linked wonderfully well with Rooney, before smashing a shot which forced Friedel into a top class save. 3 minutes in and the signs weren't good. Then a minute later half chance for Laurito, as some good build up, lead the ball into Laurito's feet, but his strike from 20 yards went over. On 7 minutes, Ronaldo again was involved as he played into Hargreaves, who shot inches wide of Friedel's far post. Wayne Rooney then missed a good opportunity as the ball fell to him on the edge of the box, but he failed to keep his shot down. Then finally a goal, long ball by Rafael, Friedel, came, stayed back and then came, Tevez got in before him and slotted past the stranded Friedel. 3 minutes later, Ronaldo's corner, Tevez volleyed. 2-0, the game felt over. Then it got worse as Di Maria went of injured, on came John Carew in a 4-4-2 formation. He had an instant impact, racing past Vidic but from a tight angle Van Der Sar kept him out. Then so close again before half-time as Steven Defour hit a rasping drive which clipped the top of the bar. Game over before half-time though as Ronaldo found Tevez, he turned he shot, he scored. 3-0.

Half-time, well didn't say much, I just told them to scrap for their lives, press hard and try and somehow claw your way back into the match, though in everyone's mind. The game was over, Tevez's class was the difference.

Good response as Reo-Coker crossed into the box and Laurito headed over, then Young had a good shot blocked by Rafael 5 minutes later, this was better, but could we get a goal? We should of as Laurito played in Krasic, he hit it 1st time, good save. Then Carew set up Defour, but Defour couldn't strike on target. It was 1 way traffic, but the goal just weren't coming. Had we got a goal in the 1st 10 minutes, then maybe it was game back on, but as the game grew further and further, the players started to slightly give up and United we're starting to sense a 4th. Then maybe some sort of hope, as Carew found Laurito, who with 1 touch fired in an absolute rocket from 20 yards, with 12+ stoppage time left to get 2 goals. Then a huge chance with 6 minutes remaning as Carew played it inside to Defour, he was 12 yards out, free shot at goa, but he smacked it over and from there United held on.

Awful 1st half, fantastic 2nd half.

Manchester United 3-1 Aston Villa

Carlos Tevez (18, 21, 45)

Federico Laurito (78)

November 29th - December 5th

Steven Defour picked up the young player of the month award. In the fa cup, I was given a tricky tie against Manchester City at their place. John Carew will be out for 11 days following his injury against Chelsea.

Premiership Results:

Arsenal 1-0 Everton

Blackburn 1-2 Man United

Fulham 3-3 West Brom

Portsmouth 1-1 Wolves

Preston 0-2 Bristol City

Man City 2-0 Bolton

Stoke 1-0 Sunderland

Newcastle 4-3 Middlesbrough

Liverpool 4-0 Tottenham

Aston Villa Vs Chelsea - Saturday 5th December - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker Bassong, Davies, Insua, Young, Defour, Barry, Di Maria, Krasic, Laurito. Bench: Schmeichel, L.Young, Upson, Milner, Saviola, Agbonlahor, Carew

Team: 4-2-3-1 again, works well at home. I told the players, we're good enough to win, go out and there and play like the second half of the United game...

Oh and didn't they just..As Insua found space down the left, he cut the ball to Defour, he took a touch, lined up a shot and smashed into the top corner, just 1 minute and 32 seconds into the game. A perfect start! Then it was nearly two, as Ashley Young steamed down the right, he got inside the box, his cut back though was blocked, but the blocked headed towards goal, Cech made a good reaction save down low. Then after a good start, Micheal Essien got the ball from a throw in, he whipped in a cross and up rose Drogba, higher than Davies to head in an un-deserved equalizer. Then we should of been back in front as Laurito's clever pass found Milos Krasic, 8 yards out...but his shot went straight at Cech. Then it was de ja vu, as Essien picked the ball up a throw, this time his cross headed towards the back post, but Drogba didn't mind as he read the flight of the ball before heading down into the corner just before half-time.

Myself and the players knew if they kept going we'd get a result, we'd been the better team, the confidence had been hampered, but we needed to beleive. On Carew came for Laurito.

5 minutes after the break, we got that perfect response as Di Maria's ball down the line picked out John Carew, he steamed down the left before his ball across was turned in by Milos Krasic at the front post! Then on 60 minutes, Milos Krasic collected the ball 20 yards out, he shifted the ball once more to his right where Steven Defour let it run across his body before striking it fantastically into the top corner giving Cech no chance at all, his 7th of the season and what a time! Chelsea tried to respond as 10 mintues later, Boswinga got down the right hand side, his cross was perfect for Drogba, his header this time was saved by Friedel. John Carew then had a long range effort saved after good play again by Krasic, then a big moment as with 8 mintues to go, Frank Lampard played in Vagner Love, 18 yards out, he looked to bend it into the corner, somehow Friedel palmed it, fantastic save. Then on 87 minutes, Di Maria found space on the left, he drove down the line and put in a beautiful cross, it was matched by a fantastic header from Gareth Barry, who steamed onto the ball heading it down into the corner from 10 yards, 4-2, game over, we saw out the game for a superb win.

Just fantastic performance!

Aston Villa 4-2 Chelsea

Steven Defour (2, 62)

Milos Krasic (50)

Gareth Barry (88)

Didier Drogba (17, 41)

6th December - 12th December:

The week started off, well not great as Matthew Upson was told he's miss the next 3 weeks. Then even worse news as in form Milos Krasic was alsoc told he's miss around 3 weeks of action.

Premiership Results:

Liverpool 2-2 Chelsea

Arsenal 3-0 Bristol City

Blackburn 1-1 West Brom

Man City 2-1 Sunderland

Middlesbrough 1-1 Wolves

Newcastle 2-1 Man United

Portsmouth 1-0 Tottenham

Stoke 2-1 Preston

Fulham 2-3 Everton

Aston Villa Vs Bolton - Saturday 12th December - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker Bassong, Davies, Insua, Young, Defour, Barry, Di Maria, Saviola, Laurito. Bench: Schmeichel, L.Young, Nelson, Bouma, Milner, Petrov, Agbonlahor.

Team: Same again in terms of 4-2-3-1, although Saviola to play of Laurito instead of Krasic. Bouma, Nelson and Petrov move onto the bench.

2 Minutes into the game and contraversy as Insua made a solid tackle on Davies..Bolton claimed a Penalty. Not given and rightly so. Then Elmander found space from Riga's pass, he turned, but he shot wide. Poor start from our lads as Bolton came out firing. Then more contraversy as Laurito sprung down the right following Saviola's pass, he come inside of Molinaro, Laurito was blocked, he claimed a pen.....Given! the Ref pointed to the spot, Bolton protested, but the decision was given. Gareth Barry stepped up......No mistake, great penalty, 1-0! This game had a real open feel about it and it suited us more, as Saviola picked out Ashley Young, he took a touch before whipping a shot just inches wide of the post. Then more good quick slick passing as Davies found Di Maria, who played it inside to Saviola, who flicked it to Laurito, his 1st time effort just went wide however. This was just brilliant football, as Saviola found Ash Young, he rolled it into the path of the overlapping Reo-Coker, who crossed in and Di Maria's volley unfortunatly hit the side netting. Then Jussi Jaaskelianan kept Bolton in the game somehow, first Laurito found space and hit a good shot, great save and then 8 yards out Di Maria followed up, but somehow the Bolton keeper tipped it around the post. Then bad news as Javior Saviola was carried off with an injury after 30 minutes, on came Petrov as I gave Defour the "free role". Then a goal of just sheer quality, Bolton on the attack, Davies cut the ball out, he fed Laurito, Laurito dropped it off to Defour, who in turn found Ash Young, Young 1st time picked out Di Maria, Di Maria gallopped down the left, perfectly placing his ball into the box to the on-rushing and un-marked Laurito, for him to finish into the bottom corner. The perfect counter attack.

I let the players know how well they had played in the 1st half, but I also expected them to carry it on and not let Bolton back into the game. We nearly added to our lead as Curtis Davies found Steven Defour inside the box, but he couldn't keep his shot down. Then Di Maria looked to get on the score sheet, collecting Laurito's pass, but his shot was drilled over. Then Bolton came at us as Elmander tee'd off Dzemalli, his shot going whiskers wide of the post. For the 1st time in the game, we we're under pressure as Bolton came at us, Riga's cross found Elmander, his shot slammed against the post, before Kevin Davies shot was blocked, the ball got finally cleared. I felt at that moment we needed a change so on came Agbonlahor for Laurito. 76 mintues, Ricardo Gardner's cross was perfect, Elmander delivered the deadly finish. 2-1, 15 to go. On came Milner for Barry with Defour dropping into midfield, 4-4-1-1, more defensive as we looked to try and hold on. Then on 82 minutes, Ashley Young's whipped corner, Di Maria got to the front post..but he missed it...the ball smacked of Nicky Hunt and into his own net, game over with 8 minutes to go! Petrov then narly made it 4, smashing in a lovely drive from just inside the box, but Jaaskelianan made a fantastic save.

But it was over, and Important win and that meant 8 wins out of 9 at home. fantastic record.

Aston Villa 3-1 Bolton

Gareth Barry (7)

Federico Laurito (41)

Nicky Hunt Own Goal (83)

Johan Elmander (77)

December 13th - December 19th:

Javior Saviola was told he's miss the West Brom game after being ruled out for a week. Although in better news, Ze Castro was declared fit. John Carew was also back in full training following his injury.

Premiership Results:

Bolton 0-2 Fulham

Everton 3-0 Man City

Middlesbrough 4-0 Portsmouth

Sunderland 1-2 Arsenal

Wolves 1-1 Preston

Bristol City 0-0 Stoke

Tottenham 2-1 Newcastle

Man United 3-1 Liverpool

West Bromwich Albion Vs Aston Villa - Saturday 19th December - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Davies, Bassong, Insua, Young, Petrov, Barry, Di Maria, Defour, Laurito. Bench: Schmeichel, L.Young, Ze Castro, Bouma, Milner, Carew, Agbonlahor.

Team: 4-2-3-1 like usual, with Defour this time playing just off Laurito.

We didn't start very well as Koren found Amr Zaki, he forced Friedel into a good save from the edge of the box. Then Chris Brunt threatened as he found space around the box, but luckily Friedel parried the shot to safety. Then on 7 minutes, Laurito found Di Maria in space, Di Maria crossed and in came Ashley Young to put the ball into the back of the net!! This was a really tight display from our team as West Brom we're struggling to break us down, perhaps with Defour in the attacking midfield role also gave us more steal as he's a more suited Cm...especially away from home. On 41 mintues, we won a free kick on the left, Ashley Young whipped it in with pace and on the volley from 10 yards where Sebastien Bassong, who guided the ball wonderfully past Carson!

I told the boys it was a fantastic half, we we're solid as a unit and literally took both of our only chances...Keep it up boys, this is a massive 45 minutes. Off came a very tired Petrov and on came Agbonlahor to play down the right, Defour drop into centre midfield, while Young plays behind Laurito.

The half was amazingly dull, which was a good thing. 70 minutes and neither team had any chances of note, so on came John Carew for Laurito for the last 20 minutes. 79 Minutes the 1st real chance of the half as Ashley Young's corner, Curtis Davies against his former club met the ball, but his header was well kept out by Carson. West Brom then had their 1st chance with 5 mintues to go, but Bednar failed to convert Dorrans cross. It was late pressure from West Brom as Zaki shot straight at Friedel from 8 yards before Dorrans smashed over on the re-bound. On the counter we should of added a 3rd as Agbonlahor picked out John Carew, but he failed to keep his header down in injury time.

A Good solid performance from our boys!!

West Brom 0-2 Aston Villa

Ashley Young (7)

Sebastien Bassong (41)

December 20th - December 23rd:

Both Javior Saviola & Matthew Upson returned to training ahead of the busy Christmas schedule.

Premiership Results:

Bolton 1-0 Blackburn

Bristol City 0-5 Man City

Chelsea 1-1 Newcastle

Man United 1-0 Portsmouth

Preston 1-2 Arsenal

Sunderland 4-0 Fulham

Tottenham 2-2 Middlesbrough

West Brom 1-0 Liverpool

Wolves 1-1 Stoke

Everton Vs Aston Villa - Wednesday 23rd December - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Davies, Bassong, Insua, Milner, Defour, Barry, Di Maria, Young, Laurito. Bench: Schmeichel, L.Young, Ze Castro, Petrov, Agbonlahor, Saviola, Carew

Team: Usual formation, with Milner wide right and Young playing behind Laurito this time.

Long ball over the top by Tim Cahill released James Vaughan, from a narrow angle he tested Friedel, but Friedel pushed his shot away. 2 mintues later, James Vaughan flicked on a long throw in, noone picked up Leighton Baines who from 3 yards, smashed the ball in. Poor defending. 10 minutes later, Long ball again, Freidel come out, he smashed it straight against Vaughan, the ball headed towards the goal, Vaughan continued and tapped in the open goal from 6 yards. Vaughan again went close as Davies failed to close him down, this was the worse display from our team this season. It really was.

I got right stuck into the players at half-time, the performance was disgraceful, off came Milner and on came Carew as we went 4-4-2.

Friedel early on in the second half was called into action following a 20 yard effort from Tim Cahill. Finally our 1st attempt as Barry set-up John Carew, but his effort went over the bar. Di Maria had a shot saved by Howard, as the ball deflected into his path, with 30 minutes to go, we'd only just started playing. Everton we're seeing the game out really well, although on 78 mintues Ashley Young's corner was met by Curtis Davies, but his header went over the bar. Then a lifeline on 87 mintues, Ashley Young broke down the right, he whipped a wonderful cross and on the end of it was Federico Laurito, 2 minutes left plus injury time, could we rescue a point? No to be quite frank as Everton held on.

Poor performance.

Everton 2-1 Aston Villa

Leighton Baines (6)

James Vaughan (16)

Federico Laurito (87)

December 24th - December 26th:

Milos Krasic is back in training, just in time for the game against Sunderland. In other news, I let all the staff have day off in Christmas, although from 7-9 I brought the lads in to discuss the Sunderland game.

Premiership Results:

Arsenal 3-0 Stoke

Blackburn 0-1 Everton

Fulham 2-2 Bristol City

Liverpool 1-2 Bolton

Man City 6-0 Preston

Middlesbrough 0-2 Man United

Newcastle 2-1 West Brom

Portsmouth 0-1 Chelsea

Wolves 3-2 Tottenham

Aston Villa Vs Sunderland - Saturday 26th December - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Davies, Bassong, Insua, Young, Defour, Barry, Di Maria, Krasic, Laurito, Bench: Schmeichel, Upson, L.Young, Petrov, Agbonlahor, Carew, Saviola

Team: Time to bounce back, back to my what I beleive is my strongest 11.

We started well as Di Maria whipped in a good cross down the left, Gordon parried it away, before Laurito picked the ball up, but his shot went half a yard wide. Sunderland though we're keeping it tight and then causing problems of their own as Jones came inside and gave the ball to Richardson, who thumped it from 25 yards, ball curled inches over. Then a big chance as Ashley Young got free on the right, his shot was saved, the ball fell to Barry who's shot was somehow cleared off the line by Hangeland. Then a wonderful effort followed that up, Milos Krasic picked the ball up in space and drove a wonderful shot which Gordon did well to tip over. We we're starting to find our feet in this game, 20 mintues gone, Gareth Barry gave it to Krasic, Krasic threaded it through to Laurito, who took a touch and finished it wonderfully into the corner. Sunderland started to come out of their shell after that and Malbranque fizzed a good effort over the top, before Gignac was released down the right, his cutback found Whitehead in space, but his finish was a tame one, straight at Friedel. This was starting to become 1 sided, as Richardson found Whitehead who rthen picked out Malbranque, he fired in a wonderful shot, somehow Friedel kept it out. Then Malbranque was involved again as his corner was perfect for Hangeland, but his header crashed against the bar. We held on until half-time

The players we're very tired, I could see it, it'd been a heavy period where alot of them have played every game. I Told them to try and get another goal and then we could make changes.

It had a positive effect as Barry's ball was inch perfect for Di Maria to race onto it, but by the time he hit his shot, the angle was too narrow. Then the leveller as Malbranque found McCartney, his cross was a good one and Gignac rose highest to head in. At that point, on came L.Young, S.Petrov and J.Carew, for Reo-Coker, Barry and Krasic. Oh and how those changes had a positive effect as Petrov found Di Maria who crossed to the front post and in steamed John Carew to glance a header into the bottom corner. Gignac was causing real problems, this time it was Bardsley's cross, Gignac again won the header but could only direct it wide. We we're holding on and with 8 mintues to go, Leadbitter beat Davies in a challenge, I was fuming, he played in Gignac, 1 on 1, 10 yards out, Friedel came to the rescue with a fine save. This time Gignac was the provider, his driven cross evaded everyone bar Richardson at the back post, the ball went past Friedel....but smashed off the post as Bassong cleared, but we held on for a massive 3 points and another home win (9 in 10)

Such a vital win, although performance weren't great.

Aston Villa 2-1 Sunderland

Federico Laurito (20)

John Carew (63)

Andre Pierre Gignac (56)

27th December - 30th December

Nigel Reo-Coker has been ruled out for 11 days with a groin injury.

Premiership Results:

Blackburn 2-4 Sunderland

Fulham 2-0 Preston

Liverpool 2-1 Everton

Man City 2-0 Stoke

Middlesbrough 0-2 Chelsea

Newcastle 2-0 Bolton

Portsmouth 1-1 West Brom

Tottenham 1-0 Man United

Wolves 1-0 Arsenal

Aston Villa Vs Bristol City - Wednesday 30th December - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Nelson, Davies, Bassong, Insua, Young, Defour, Barry, Di Maria, Krasic, Laurito, Bench: Schmeichel, Upson, L.Young, Petrov, Agbonlahor, Carew, Saviola.

Team: Nelson in for the injured Reo-Coker, we knew they would get numbers behind the goal, we needed an early goal I felt.

11 Minutes in came our first attack, Di Maria, having such a good season, played a great ball into Laurito, hit shot was well saved by Basso, but in came Milos Krasic to finish the re-bound. It took us until 34 mintues to create another opportunity, but it was telling as Ashley Young's corner was met and thumped home by Curtis Davies. 3 attacks and 3 goals in the first 39 mintues as Nelson found Ashley Young, who's cross was perfect for the in form Federico Laurito to finish from 3 yards out. The game got to half-time, it was an awful game where we'd hardly created anything and found ourselves 3-0 up.

I just told the players it was a great opportunity to score alot more. Off came Young who was suffering a minor knock and on came John Carew.

But Bristol City started the brighter as David Noble struck over from 20 yards after some good build up play. Christian Riberio then tried his luck from distance, it was a great strike as the ball skimmed of the cross bar. On 74 minutes we had our 4th attack of the game, as Barry won a header in midfield, the ball fell to Laurito, who set Di Maria, he fired in a lovely shot which give Basso no chance to make it 4-0. I wanted a clean sheet but Davies didn't it seemed, as he left a cross into the box and Dean Furman came in behind him to finish past Friedel. 2 minutes later, McCallister played a short free kick to Loius Carey, he hit a wonderful shot which smacked against the bar. Milos Krasic then nearly made it 5-0 as Saviola cut in and played a clever ball, Krasic though failed to hit the target. Shortly after it was full-time.

Well actually quite a poor performance, but it's a win and a comfortable one.

Aston Villa 4-1 Bristol City

Milos Krasic (11)

Curtis Davies (34)

Federico Laurito (41)

Angel Di Maria (74)

Dean Furman (77)

31st December - 2nd January

I looked back over the current season and was ecstatic, it shows what time can do, Randy showed faith in me and I felt i'd gone some way to re-paying this faith, it was still a long way to go, but we we're 4th at the moment and had won 11 out of our last 14 games which is some form. Di Maria, Young and Krasic in those attacking roles we're the key players, we we're highest scorers in the league with 44 goals from 20 games, which was amazing to think considering John Carew, Agbonlahor and Saviola between them had only nothced up 11 starts. In the month of december, Angel Di Maria won the young player of the month, while I personally picked up 2nd Manager of the month. The start of the month also saw Arsenal make a bid worth £21 Million for Steven Defour I rejected. He has been absolutly fantastic since signing.

Manchester City Vs Aston Villa - Saturday 2nd January - Fa Cup 3rd Round

Team News: Friedel, Nelson, Davies, Bassong, Insua, Young, Defour, Barry, Di Maria, Krasic, Agbonlahor, Bench: Schmeichel, Upson, L.Young, Petrov, Laurito, Carew, Saviola.

Team: Same team apart Agbonlahor given a chance to shine instead of Laurito. we knew they would come at us and hopefully we could use his pace on the break.

3 minutes in and unfortunatly Insua had to come off with an Injury, on came Luke Young. First attack for Man City and first goal as Zhirkov's corner was headed in from Gamberini. Then it was 2-0 on 16 mintues as Zhirkov's cross was headed out to Gelson Fernandes who smashed in a shot into the top corner from 20 yards, Carbon Copy 8 mintues later as Zhirkov's cross was headed out, though this time it Nigel De Jong who smashed it low into the corner from 20 yards. 26 minutes and it was 3-0. Curtis Davies then should of scored as he failed to hit the target 6 yards out following Ashley Young's corner and just before half-time, if it weren't before, it was game over as Robinho's free kick was curled into the corner.

I just said nothing to the players at half-time, I just sat in the corner writing "notes" shaking my head, on came Carew and Laurito for Krasic and Agbonlahor.

The players responded to the silence by really upping their game and a minute into the game Carew flicked on and Gareth Barry smacked it into the corner. 2 minutes later, Di Maria's shot was well saved by Heart, it fell to Defour he gave it inside to Laurito, Laurito turned and shot, Gooooal. 4-2, just 3 mintues into the second half. This was unbelievable as on 50 minutes, Ashley Young's corner was headed By John Carew, Hart back-tracked, he couldn't get there...the ball smashed off the post, but on the re-bound was Laurito to tap in from a yard. 45 Minutes - Man City 4-0 Aston Villa, 50 Minutes - Man City 4-3 Aston Villa. From that we seemed to slow down, on 58 mintues Di Maria crossed and in came Defour, but his header went over the bar. Then on 61 minutes, it was definatly game over as Ireland found Shaun Wright Phillips, who came inside and struck a lovely shot from 30 yards into the top corner. 13 mintues later, the 9th goal of the game as Robinho sprung down the right, Luke Young failed to put in a tackle, he cut inside of Davies and fired low into the corner. 2 Minutes later this extra-ordinary game took another twist as Di Maria drove down the left and put in a great cross and in came Laurito to score his 3rd goal, and his 1st ever Hat trick for us. Then a big chance to make the last 5 mintues interesting, Ashley Young's corner found John Carew, but his header went wide.

Well defensivly we was shocking, good going forward.

Manchester City 6-4 Aston Villa

Allesandro Gamberini (7)

Gelson Fernandes (16)

Nigel De Jong (27)

Robinho (44, 75)

Shaun Wright Phillips (61)

Gareth Barry (47)

Federico Laurito (49, 51, 77)

3rd January - 9th January

The week saw 2 bids, 1 accepted, 1 rejected. Man United bid £8 Million for Curtis Davies which I rejected, before accepting Liverpool's £10 Million bid for Gabriel Agbonlahor. He's a good player, but he's only made 2 starts all season and was 3rd / 4th choice at the moment, so I wanted to let him go, and let the promising Nathan Delfouneso start to show what he's capable of in the 1st team. Chelsea then bid £17.5 Million for Gareth Barry A big offer, but I decided to reject, he was a key player and I didn't really need the money.

Premiership Results:

Arsenal 4-1 Man City

Bolton 2-1 Portsmouth

Bristol City 2-0 Blackburn

Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham

Everton 2-3 Newcastle

Man United 3-0 Wolves

Stoke 1-1 Fulham

Sunderland 0-2 Liverpool

West Brom 0-0 Middlesbrough

Preston North End - Saturday 9th January - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Davies, Bassong, Insua, Young, Defour, Barry, Di Maria, Krasic, Laurito, Bench: Schmeichel, Upson, L.Young, Petrov, Milner, Carew, Saviola.

Team News: Back with Laurito upfront and Reo-Coker at right back, in a very important game, these are the games we have to win.

We got off to the worst possible start as Eagles corner was headed in from Jason Roberts. 2 minutes later, Eagles again provided a good ball into the box, Billy Jones controlled it and fired in a low shot, 2-0 after 6 minutes, what a disgrace. We bounced back quickly though as Young found Di Maria, his cross was a good one, and on the end of it was Milos Krasic to nod home from 6 yards. From the kick off, we won the ball back, Defour played it to Ashley Young who flicked it down the line into Reo-Coker, his cross was perfect and Federico Laurito headed in from 3 yards out to make it 2-2 inside 14 minutes. 5 Minutes later it was nearly 3-2 as Ashley Young's cross was a good one, Milos Krasic got up highest, but his header hit the bar. Chris Eagles then who caused problems all day, won a free kick 25 yards out, he struck his free kick well, the ball sailed over the ball, but also inches over the bar. Eagles again was involved as his run and cross down the right was perfect for McKenna, but he failed to find the net as Brad Friedel made a sharp save.

We came in half-time I said they were lucky to be ahead, I told the players I was dissapointed, hoping to get a reaction.

We started the second half slowly however and Elliot came inside and played it through to Chris Eagles, but Friedel stood up and made a good save. It was all Preston as McKenna played a lovely ball through to Andrew Driver, who smashed a half volley, but again Friedel kept us level. Then on 60 mintues, Ashley Young hit over a deep corner and on the end of it was Bassong, but he failed to direct his header on target. 10 mintues later Bassong got up highest again at the back post from a Young corner, but his header smashed into the side netting, 15 minutes to go, I brought Defour off and on came John Carew in order to try and win the 3 points, but we failed to take control as we dropped 2 points again away from home.

Just annoying, only 2 wins away from home, I'm not sure what the problem was.

Preston 2-2 Aston Villa

Jason Roberts (4)

Billy Jones (6)

Milos Krasic (12)

Federico Laurito (14)

10th January - 16th January

Gabriel Agbonlahor completed his £10 Million move to Liverpool. Emiliano Insua was ruled out for 5 days following a knock against Preston. Then despite bids from Werder Bremen, At.Madrid and Liverpool, I captured the signing of young Spanish star Sergio Busquets for just £1.4 Million.

Premiership Results:

Blackburn 2-0 Preston

Fulham 1-3 Arsenal

Liverpool 4-1 Bristol City

Man United 1-0 Chelsea

Middlesbrough 3-0 Bolton

Newcastle 1-1 Sunderland

Portsmouth 1-1 Everton

Tottenham 2-0 West Brom

Wolves 0-3 Man City

Aston Villa Vs Stoke City - Saturday 16th January - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Davies, Bassong, Bouma, Young, Defour, Barry, Di Maria, Krasic, Laurito. Bench: Jesus, L.Young, Upson, Busquets, Milner, Saviola, Carew

Team: Young Spanish stars Jesus and Busquets moved onto the bench, while Bouma came in for the injured Insua.

It weren't a great start as Soares found former Villan, Emile Heskey, but from a tight angle his well struck shot flashed across the face of the goal. Then nearly a wonderful individual goal as Milos Krasic picked the ball up in midfield, he ran with it, and kept going, past 2, 3 and then 4, but his shot was kept out well by Sorenson. Then disaster as Heskey played in Jack Collison, he took a touch and smashed it into the top corner from 20 yards. We responded well as Laurito played in Milos Krasic, his shot was a good one but it smashed off the post and into safety. Then complete stupidity as Bouma hacked out at Barboianou and was given his marching orders.

Half-time, I questioned the lads passion, off came Krasic and Di Maria and on came Carew and Busquets to go into 4-2-1-2 formation.

Oh my word, 50 mintues, Ashley Young played a short free kick to Gareth Barry and from 35 yards he hit the most of incredible striker which bent and dipped into the top corner, we grabbed the ball, 10 men or 11 men, we wanted the win. Then 7 minutes later John Carew literally rampaged through the middle, he was stopped on the edge of the box but the ball fell to Ashley Young, he bent it past Sorenson, but also just past the post. Stoke we're still pressing though aswell and nearly re-took the lead as Jack Collison again struck from distance, but his shot went just over. Then so unlucky as on 67 mintues, Busquets found John Carew, Carew turned well but his shot smashed of the inside of the post and Barry's re-bound was blocked. Then disaster 2 mintues later as De Clerio found Barboianou and he finished superbly into the bottom corner. We come back strongly though as Steven Defour had a 20 yard effort well saved, before Busquets found Ashley Young who turned on the egde of the box and drilled in a lovely shot towards the bottom corner giving Sorenson no chance. We couldn't create anything from there on as both teams take a share of the points.

Good fighting spirit to come back with 10 men twice, but overall it's dropped points.

Aston Villa 2-2 Stoke City

Gareth Barry (50)

Ashley Young (77)

Jack Collison (15)

Stefan Barboianou (70)

17th January - 27th January

Stiliyan Petrov completed a £3 Million move to Sunderland.

Premiership Results:

Bolton 2-2 Tottenham

Bristol City 1-3 Newcastle

Chelsea 2-0 Wolves

Everton 4-2 Middlesbrough

Man City 5-0 Fulham

Preston 1-2 Liverpool

Stoke 1-3 Blackburn

Sunderland 2-0 Portsmouth

West Brom 1-2 Man United

Arsenal Vs Aston Villa - Wednesday 27th January - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Davies, Bassong, Insua, Young, Defour, Barry, Di Maria, Krasic, Laurito. Bench: Jesus, L.Young, Upson, Busquets, Milner, Saviola, Carew.

Team: Insua back in for Bouma...changed from 4-2-3-1 to 4-4-1-1, hoping to be abit more solid defensivly.

2 Minutes in, Eduardo drew Reo-Coker in, he slid it to the left where Rosicky was free and Rosicky guided his finished into the bottom corner. We should of equalized as Laurito picked it up, he went past 3 players including the goalkeeper, surely would finish but somehow Djourou got back on the line to clear what would of been a world class goal. Friedel was then drawn into action following a great pass from Arshavin to Eduardo, Friedel dived low to prevent Eduardo's fierce shot. Then so close as Davies gave the ball to Defour, Defour lined up a shot, he smashed it, Gordon dived, it went past him, but also inches over the bar, but we were punished as Arshavin slipped in Tomas Rosicky, who took it on and smashed the ball into the corner for his second of the game. Then more bad news as Laurito had to come off, so on came John Carew in his place. Friedel then prevented Moutinho making it 3 with an acrobatic save.

We didn't play too badly, just defended poorly. I brought Young of at half-time, Moved Krasic to the right and put Saviola upfront alongside Carew.

20 Seconds in Saviola should of scored as Carew put him through with a clever ball, but his finish was straight at Craig Gordon. Joao Moutinho nearly made it 3 shortly after, recieving a pass from Sagna, but his shot crashed into the side netting. Then a wonderfully crafted goal, as Arshavin gave it to Eduardo, he carried on his run, Eduardo back to him and Arshavin finished it 1st time. Then ourselves nearly got a goal as Curtis Davies hit the post following Di Maria's corner. Then we got a goal with 5 mintues to go as Krasic won a long ball in the air, Saviola raced onto the flick on and finished well into the bottom corner. Then Carew played in Saviola again and from a tight angle forced Gordon into save, had that gone in, who knows what could of happened. Then deep into injury time another chance as this time Saviola played in John Carew, but Gordon again was in top form to deny him.

Actually a good performance, 57% possesion and 20 shots compared to their 13...Although worryingly, no win in last 3 league games, moving down from 4th to 7th in that time period.

Arsenal 3-1 Aston Villa

Tomas Rosicky (3, 23)

Andriy Arshavin (64)

Javior Saviola (85)

28th January - 30th January

Bad news as Federico Laurito will miss the game against Man City after being told he'd miss 5 days, following a recent knock against Arsenal. In transfers news Barry Bannan completed a £400k move to Wigan Athletic.

Premiership Results:

Blackburn 1-3 Arsenal

Chelsea 1-0 West Brom

Liverpool 2-1 Stoke City

Man United 2-0 Bolton

Middlesbrough 2-0 Sunderland

Newcastle 4-0 Preston

Portsmouth 3-2 Bristol City

Tottenham 2-0 Everton

Wolves 1-0 Fulham

Aston Villa Vs Manchester City - Saturday 30th January - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Davies, Bassong, Insua, Young, Defour, Barry, Di Maria, Krasic, Carew. Bench: Jesus, L.Young, Upson, Busquets, Milner, Saviola, Delfouneso.

Team: Carew in for Laurito as Delfouneso moves onto the bench, we badly needed a win, and not a great team to play against in Man City who are 2nd in the league.

Zhirkov went close early on from a free kick, he struck it well but that ball sailed just over the top. Man City were causing problems and in particular Robinho as Stephen Ireland found him on the right side of the area, he took a few touches before hitting a shot inches wide of the post. It took us 35 minutes for our first chance and we should of scored as Barry found Insua inside the box but he shot straight at Given. Then the first goal as Zhirkov moved down the left, his cross was a good one, Friedel completly missed it and Fabio Quagliarella capitalized on his mistake. Then on the break, Robinho found Ireland, he had a shot, it was blocked the ball fell Kindly to Zhirkov who lobbed the ball over Friedel to make it 0-2 before half-time.

A Poor 1st half, and with Carew struggling I had to bring him off. Off came Krasic and Carew and on came Saviola and Delfouneso.

We just weren't creating anything so on came Busquets for Gareth Barry on 60 minutes. Then Curtis Davies fired over from 20 yards following Young's pass. We clawed our way back into the match, when Reo-Coker gave it to Young, his cross was deep and at the back post was Sergio Busquets for his 1st goal at the club, we were back in the game and for the last 10 minutes I chucked Curtis Davies upfront to give us a physical presence. With 5 minutes to go, Insua crossed, it was headed out to Young, he went down the right, he provided a cross, it seemed to have gone past everybody but there was Angel Di Maria 10 yards out to fire in a half volley past Shay Given!! The game from then fizzled out, and a great point in the end for us.

Aston Villa 2-2 Manchester City

Sergio Busquets (80)

Angel Di Maria (85)

Fabio Quagliarella (39)

Yuri Zhirkov (44)

January 31st - February 6th:

Some last minute bids from other clubs we're rejected as Liverpool offered £16 Million for Federico Laurito, and also Curtis Davies was bid for by Man United for £9 Million, again rejected. Angel Di Maria again picked up the Young player of the month award. Federico Laurito returned to full fitness.

Premiership Results:

Arsenal 3-1 Liverpool

Bolton 0-0 Chelsea

Everton 4-2 Man United

Bristol City 4-2 Middlesbrough

Man City 2-0 Blackburn

Preston 1-0 Blackburn

Stoke 2-0 Newcastle

Sunderland 4-3 Tottenham

West Brom 2-1 Wolves

Fulham Vs Aston Villa - Saturday 6th February - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Upson, Davies, Insua, Young, Defour, Barry, Di Maria, Krasic, Laurito. Bench: Schmeichel, L.Young, Ze Castro, Milner, Busquets, Delfouneso, Carew

Team: Upson in for the suspended Bassong, Laurito back after injury comes in for Carew.

We had the 1st chance of the game as Barry played in Laurito, he showed good skill before having his shot well saved by Kuszcack. Curtis Davies then missed a great chance as he had a free shot from 15 yards, but he failed to keep the ball down. Davies then missed another good chance, missing the target with a header from 6 yards following Ashley Young's corner. Then Clint Dempsey went close as he ran past Reo-Coker, before forcing Friedel into a good save. Then on the stroke of half-time, Clint Dempsey raced away from Matthew Upson and finished past Friedel to give Fulham the lead.

I told the players I wanted to see more from them, I didn't change anything at the moment.

From kick off, Di Maria found Milos Krasic, who then played into Laurito who's shot hit the side netting. Then Reo-Coker drove down the right, he then went to cross, but as he was about to do so, Paul Konchesky brought him down, Penalty given! Gareth Barry...stepped up...Kuszcack saves! Then on 65 minutes, I brought on John Carew for Milos Krasic and Sergio Busquets for Gareth Barry, and it had the desired effect as Carew received the ball on the edge of the box, he turned on the ball and hit his shot against the bar, but on the re-bound was Angel Di Maria to finish. Then on 87 minutes, Carew received the ball from Defour, he turned away from the defender, but his shot went over the bar. Fulham held on, as that's 5 without a win now for us.

Not good enough again really, although played okay.

Fulham 1-1 Aston Villa

Clint Dempsey (45)

Angel Di Maria (71)

Author's note: Thanks, 1,000 views, hope your all enjoying it.

7th Febraury - 10th February:

Well we had a team meeting discussing why our recent results had suffered, We knew we needed to turn this form around.

Premiership Results:

Blackburn 3-0 Fulham

Chelsea 0-0 Everton

Liverpool 2-2 Man City

Man United 1-1 Sunderland

Middlesbrough 2-0 Preston

Newcastle 0-2 Arsenal

Portsmouth 1-2 Stoke City

Portsmouth 5-0 Bristol City

West Brom 1-2 Bolton

Wolverhampton Wanderers Vs Aston Villa - Wednesday 10th February - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Bassong, Davies, Insua, Young, Defour, Barry, Di Maria, Carew, Laurito. Bench: Schmeichel, L.Young, Upson, Milner, Busquets, Delfouneso, Krasic.

Team: Bassong comes back in, and Carew starts alongside Laurito as Krasic drops to the bench.

Carew upfront seemed to have a good effect as Ashley Young crossed, Carew rose highest, but Hennessy denied him with a very good save. Then on 18 mintues, Ashley Young found Carew, Carew turned and played it through to Laurito, he took a touch and smashed it in with his right foot, 0-1 and a great start. It was nearly two, as Carew shot was blocked, it fell to Di Maria, but his shot narrowly missed the bar. 10 minutes before half-time Laurito collected a throw in, he played a wonderful ball into the box, Ashley Young turned inside the box and smashed it from 6 yards into the roof of the net. Then out of nowhere, Foley for Wolves, broke down the right, his cross was perfect and David Clarkson finished, there 1st attack, and just before half-time.

I told the players to keep going after half-time, we were going well, although that goal before half-time was a bit of a blow.

The second half started fairly well as Di Maria got down the left, but his shot was straight at Hennessy. Then we should of scored our 3rd as Di Maria crossed for John Carew, but he failed to get his header on target. Then a blow as Carew had to go off injured, Delfouneso came on along with Busquets for Defour. Then on 63 minutes, Ashley Young put in a dangerous corner and Nathan Delfouneso headed in from a yard out, in only his 2nd Sub appearence for the club. Then Clarkson was threatning again as he had a shot from just 7 yards wonderfully saved by Brad Friedel. Ebans Blake then went close from 30 yards, but his shot grazed the bar. Then more bad injury news as Sebastien Bassong had to go off injured, on came Upson for the last 15 minutes. Then 89 minutes, Ashley Young went off injured, but we held on to collect a very important win.

Well nothing is perfect, we win an away game to bounce back on track, Nathan Delfouneso scores his 1st goal for the club, but on the bad-side, Carew, Bassong and Young all went off injured.

Wolves 1-3 Aston Villa

David Clarkson (45)

Federico Laurito (18)

Ashley Young (35)

Nathan Delfouneso (64)

11th February - 20th February:

Sebastien Bassong and Ashley Young injuries weren't serious enough to warrant missing games, although John Carew's was far more serious as he is out for around 3 months.

Premiership Results:

Arsenal 3-1 Portsmouth

Bolton 0-0 Wolves

Bristol City 0-3 Man United

Everton 1-0 West Brom

Fulham 1-1 Liverpool

Man City 1-0 Newcastle

Preston 1-1 Tottenham

Stoke 1-1 Middlesbrough

Sunderland 0-3 Chelsea

Aston Villa Vs Blackburn - Tuesday 20th December - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Bassong, Davies, Insua, Krasic, Defour, Barry, Di Maria, Saviola, Laurito. Bench: Schmeichel, L.Young, Upson, Milner, Busquets, Delfouneso, A.Young.

Team: Saviola in for the injured Carew, while Ash Young takes a rest as he isn't 100% from his knock against Wolves.

We started alright as Federico Laurito went on a good run, his shot was saved though, but the ball fell to Defour, but his shot was blocked when it was heading into the empty net. Then Robinson was called into action, as Di Maria found Laurito, Laurito turned in the box, but his effort was well saved, but it was a simple ball that got us the lead, Davies long ball, found Milos Krasic down the right hand side, his ball was just perfect into the path of Federico Laurito, who finished it nicely into the corner. It was nearly 2-0 on the break as Curtis Davies headed over from Ashley Young's cross, we got to half-time with a 1-0 lead.

It was a solid half, we just needed to not get sloppy. No changes at the break.

Then some more injury woe as Di Maria was brought off after 54 minutes after he went down, on came Ashley Young. Then Ashley Young went close with a good free kick which was tipped over by Robinson, but from that corner, his corner was nodded home by Curtis Davies, his 3rd goal of the season, which is quite dissapointing considering he does win alot of headers from corners. As soon as the second goal came in, Sergio Busquets and Nathan Delfouneso came on for Javior Saviola and Gareth Barry. Blackburn nearly got back into the game as Borges found space 10 yards out, his shot however smashed over the crossbar. Borges then created another chance, this time playing through Brett Emerton, but from 12 yards, he dragged his shot well wide. Then we nearly made it 3, as Insua's ball was perfect for Delfouneso, he used his pace to get in behind, but his shot was superbly saved, but we held for our consecutive win.

That meeting before the Wolves game seemed to have a good effect as we moved back upto 5th in the league.

Aston Villa 2-0 Blackburn

Federico Laurito (40)

Curtis Davies (66)

[font="Courier New"]| Pos   | Inf   | Team          |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| 1st   |       | Arsenal       |       | 27    | 23    | 0     | 4     | 60    | 18    | +42   | 69    | 
| 2nd   |       | Man City      |       | 26    | 18    | 6     | 2     | 58    | 23    | +35   | 60    | 
| 3rd   |       | Chelsea       |       | 26    | 17    | 6     | 3     | 41    | 12    | +29   | 57    | 
| 4th   |       | Man Utd       |       | 27    | 17    | 4     | 6     | 50    | 20    | +30   | 55    | 
| [color="DarkRed"]5th   |       | Aston Villa   |       | 27    | 14    | 7     | 6     | 57    | 39    | +18   | 49  [/color]  | 
| 6th   |       | Liverpool     |       | 27    | 14    | 6     | 7     | 56    | 39    | +17   | 48    | 
| 7th   |       | Newcastle     |       | 27    | 13    | 5     | 9     | 45    | 31    | +14   | 44    | 
| 8th   |       | Everton       |       | 27    | 13    | 5     | 9     | 36    | 29    | +7    | 44    | 
| 9th   |       | Middlesbrough |       | 27    | 12    | 7     | 8     | 49    | 39    | +10   | 43    | 
| 10th  |       | Tottenham     |       | 27    | 12    | 5     | 10    | 43    | 37    | +6    | 41    | 
| 11th  |       | Sunderland    |       | 27    | 12    | 4     | 11    | 37    | 35    | +2    | 40    | 
| 12th  |       | Bolton        |       | 27    | 8     | 8     | 11    | 18    | 31    | -13   | 32    | 
| 13th  |       | West Brom     |       | 27    | 8     | 5     | 14    | 27    | 38    | -11   | 29    | 
| 14th  |       | Portsmouth    |       | 27    | 8     | 3     | 16    | 31    | 44    | -13   | 27    | 
| 15th  |       | Wolves        |       | 27    | 6     | 6     | 15    | 20    | 44    | -24   | 24    | 
| 16th  |       | Blackburn     |       | 27    | 6     | 5     | 16    | 31    | 45    | -14   | 23    | 
| 17th  |       | Stoke         |       | 27    | 4     | 9     | 14    | 21    | 38    | -17   | 21    | 
| 18th  |       | Fulham        |       | 27    | 4     | 8     | 15    | 23    | 58    | -35   | 20    | 
| 19th  |       | Preston       |       | 27    | 3     | 5     | 19    | 17    | 54    | -37   | 14    | 
| 20th  |       | Bristol City  |       | 27    | 3     | 4     | 20    | 20    | 66    | -46   | 13    | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| [/font]

21th February - 27th February

Tottenham Hotspur lifted the league cup ad they beat Arsenal on penalties in the final after the game finished 1-1 in normal time.

Premiership Results:

Chelsea 1-0 Bristol City

Newcastle 1-1 Fulham

Portsmouth 1-2 Man City

Wolves 1-0 Blackburn

Liverpool Vs Aston Villa - Saturday 27th February - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Davies, Bassong, Insua, Barry, Busquets, Defour, Young, Di Maria, Laurito Bench: Schmeichel, L.Young, Upson, Milner, Krasic, Saviola, Delfouneso.

Team: 4-5-1, hoping to keep it tight early on and hit them on the counter.

9 mintues in and the first attack, as Agger found Torres, Torres went past Reo-Coker, crossed low and in came Steven Gerrard to finish. We we're keeping it tight, but we we're being beat by sheer quality, Mascherano found Alonso, 20 yards out he turned and delightfully chipped it over Friedel. Then our first chance as Barry found Defour, Defour hit a shot first time, but sliced it over. Then on half-time, Insua went down the left and found Busquets, but his angled shot went wide. Half-time

We actually played pretty well and only contained them to 2 chances, unfortunatly they had took them both, I just told the players to believe and try and get an early goal.

No chances in the 1st 15 mintues for either team, so I decided to bring on Saviola for Busquets to hopefully make a difference, but the game was drifting out of site as we reached 70 mintues and still neither side we're creating anything. 72 Minutes on came Delfouneso for Di Maria, I went 4-2-1-3 hoping to somehow grab a point out of this game, but on 84 minutes, Arbeloa's decent free kick was superbly headed in from Daniel Agger to give Liverpool a 3-0 lead and rap the game. The game fizzeld out, which was a fitting end to a boring game.

Well we weren't bad...just some quality finishing un-did us.

Liverpool 3-0 Aston Villa

Steven Gerrard (9)

Xabi Alonso (24)

Daniel Agger (84)

28th February - 13th March

Sergio Busquets and Federico Laurito collected the 2nd and 3rd young player of the month awards respectively.

Premiership Results:

Arsenal 5-0 Tottenham

Blackburn 1-1 Liverpool

Bristol City 1-2 West Brom

Everton 2-0 Wolves

Fulham 3-2 Portsmouth

Man City 3-1 Middlesbrough

Preston 0-2 Chelsea

Stoke 0-0 Man United

Sunderland 1-0 Bolton

Aston Villa Vs Newcastle - Saturday 13th March - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Davies, Bassong, Insua, Young, Defour, Barry, Di Maria, Krasic, Laurito. Bench: Schmeichel, L.Young, Upson, Busquets, Milner, Saviola, Delfouneso

Team: Back to 4-2-3-1 for this game against a very good Newcastle side.

It was a tight start to the game, We created the 1st chance of the game on the 17 minute mark when Laurito headed over the bar from Ashley Young's cross. Then a good chance as Ashley Young recieved a pass from Milos Krasic, he turned and struck at goal, but Harper made a good save. Then 30 mintues into the game Martins broke down the left, he found Guthrie, who moved the ball once more into Guiterrez's path, but he failed to keep his shot down. It was Newcastle now with the pressure as Guthrie found space in the box, but his shot was superbly tipped around the post by Friedel.

I told the players to really up their game in the second half, but I kept faith in the team that started...for now anyway.

We started the second half well, breaking down the right with Young, his cross was headed out and then from 35 yards, Defour smashed a wonderful shot, dipping over Harper but also just over the bar. Then Newcastle came at us again as Martins found Owen who gave it short to Guthrie, his shot whistling inches past the post. Gareth Barry then recieved the ball in the middle of the park, he found Di Maria, he came inside his man and a hit a good right foot shot, the ball going just wide, this was better though. Then on 56 mintues we wasted a good opportunity as Young raced down the right, but his cross failed to pick out anyone, from the counter attack, Taylor smashed a long ball, Friedel come out...got nowhere near it as Martins took it past him and finished into the empty net, signs of needing a new keeper. I brought on Busquets and Saviola for Barry and Defour soon after. Then somehow Davies was denied, Young's corner fell to the back post, Davies volleyed but Harper amazingly tipped it around the post. Then from the resulting corner, Busquets rose highest but his header crashed off the bar. Then the sucker punch as Bolzoni fired a shot from the edge of the box, Friedel saw it late and failed to get a strong enough hand to it. Our season was pittering out. We failed to create anything after that.

Angry, Dissapointed.

Aston Villa 0-2 Newcastle

Obafemi Martins (58)

Francesco Bolzoni (64)

14th March - 20th March

A Quiet week, very quiet.

Premiership Results:

Bolton 4-2 Bristol City

Chelsea 2-0 Stoke

Everton 3-1 Sunderland

Man United 1-1 Arsenal

Middlesbrough 1-1 Fulham

Newcastle 1-0 Blackburn

Tottenham 1-2 Man City

West Brom 1-1 Preston

Wolves 1-1 Liverpool

Portsmouth Vs Aston Villa - Saturday 20th March - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Davies, Bassong, Insua, Young, Defour, Barry, Di Maria, Krasic, Laurito. Bench: Schmeichel, L.Young, Upson, Busquets, Milner, Saviola, Delfouneso.

Team: Same team, hoping for a big response against Portsmouth,

How can you go from the most attacking team in the Premiership with goals flowing in, and conceding goals, to the most team in the league, we had more possesion, but neither us or Portsmouth created a single chance on goal in the 1st half, the only thing worth nothing was Ashley Young's cross which was palmed out by James...it was really that bad

Second half, I told the players I was dissapointed, hoping they'd respond in the correct way.

It was a sligthy improvement I suppose, Angel Di Maria collecting the ball from Ashley Young before firing over. On 78 minutes Steven Defour smashed an effort on goal which forced David James into a wonderful save, in fact the only interesting thing all game was the keeper's had a combined age of 78. On 78 mintues I brought Barry off and on came Delfouneso in search of trying to get a goal. 79 Minutes, Ashley Young's corner, about 6 people all went for the same ball, beating all of them was Federico Laurito to head in from 6 yards! I said to John Robertson, "Wouldn't it be typical for us to concede now we've scored". As soon as the goal went in, I brought of Krasic and brought on Busquets to give us more solidness in the middle of the pitch. It was nearly 0-2, as Ashley Young bent in a wonderful free kick, David James made another fine save. Full-time

Amazingly Portsmouth didn't have a single chance all game as we held on for all 3 points.

Portsmouth 0-1 Aston Villa

Federico Laurito (79)

21st March - 24th March:

Luke Young was ruled out for 1 week, with only 7 games to go, I decided to terminate the loan of Ze Castro.

Premiership Results:

Blackburn 1-0 Portsmouth

Liverpool 0-0 Newcastle

Preston 0-2 Bolton

Stoke 1-2 West Brom

Sunderland 4-2 Wolves

Aston Villa Vs Middlesbrough - Wednesday 24th March - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Davies, Bassong, Insua, Defour, Barry, Young, Krasic, Di Maria, Laurito. Bench: Schmeichel, Nelson, Upson, Bouma, Milner, Sole, Saviola.

Team: Same as usual as we lined up 4-2-3-1, while Busquets and Delfounso we're away on international duty and with L.Young injured, Nelson, Bouma and Sole all made the bench, Antonio Sole, a 16 year old signed from Barcelona.

Middlesbrough started the brighter as Tuncay linked up well with Shevchenko, before Tuncay drilled a low shot which Friedel saved well, but a minute later, Krasic ran 30 yards going past 4 defenders before finding Angel Di Maria, who took the ball inside and fired his right foot shot into the corner, great finish! Steven Defour then hit a shot just over the bar 4 mintues later, the message definatly got to the players, after some pretty poor performances, I told the players to relax and just enjoy the game, and with that seemed to come alot more freedom in their play. This was glorius football, Bassong collected the ball and dropped it to Reo-Coker, he played it inside to Krasic, Krasic drove to the heart of the Boro midfield, he slipped into Young who came infield and dropped it to Laurito, he touched it to the side of Robert Huth and bent his shot in from 25 yards. 19 minutes and it was 3-0, another wonderful goal as Defour played Krasic, and in 2 touches, he was passed Wheater in a flash, one on one, he slotted the ball cooly passed Turnbull. More good football nearly led to 4th as Barry picked out Krasic, his left foot shot this time was straight at the keeper. 32 Minutes though we had another, Young's cross was met by Laurito, his shot was saved but the ball fell to Gareth Barry who slotted in. Curtis Davies even tried to get in on the act as he smashed a shot off the bar from the edge of the box, but the score at half-time was 4-0.

Just the type of performance we needed. I told the players how good they were and they just make sure in the 1st 10 mintues that they didn't let Boro back into the game, I decided to make changes with Barry, Laurito and Di Maria coming off, for Saviola, Sole and Milner.

Middlesbrough come at us second half as Afonso Alves and Gary O'Neill forced Friedel into good saves just before the hour mark. They got a goal on 69 minutes as Downing got down the left and lifted a good ball for Gary O'Neill to head in, shortly after Downing then come close with a long range shot, but 4 mintues later we had a 5th, Milner found Sole, he turned Wheater well before setting up Javior Saviola to finish it off. Didier Digard and Robert Huth then both had efforts from long distance miss the target, but it didn't really matter as the game was over, full-time,

Great performance, couldn't of asked for much more!

Aston Villa 5-1 Middlesbrough

Angel Di Maria (10)

Federico Laurito (15)

Milos Krasic (19)

Gareth Barry (32)

Javior Saviola (77)

Gary O'Neill (70)

25th March - 27th March:

Not to much happened.

Premiership Results

Bolton 1-0 Stoke

Chelsea 0-1 Man City

Everton 2-0 Preston

Man United 0-0 Fulham

Middlesbrough 2-1 Blackburn

Portsmouth 0-2 Liverpool

Sunderland 3-1 Bristol City

West Brom 0-1 Arsenal

Wolves 0-1 Newcastle

Tottenham Hotspur Vs Aston Villa - Saturday 27th March - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Davies, Bassong, Insua, Defour, Barry, Young, Krasic, Di Maria, Laurito. Bench: Schmeichel, Nelson, Upson, Bouma, Milner, Sole, Saviola.

Team: Same as Boro, hoping for a repeat performance!

We started pretty well as Ashley Young crossed into Di Maria, but his volley was well saved. Luka Modric then created an attack for Tottenham as he drove down the left, his cross found Bent, he turned and hit a low shot, but Friedel made the save. Steven Defour then had a long range shot just wide. Blase Matudi then twice went close for Spurs as he smashed two shots from distance, both were off target though. Tottenham grabbed the 1st goal though as Modric played in a beautiful ball and David Bentley nodded in from 8 yards to give Friedel no chance. Bentley nearly grabbed his double, but they soon doubled their lead as Modric again delivered a cross and this time Wilson Palacios steemed in, to get the second.

Poor 1st half, Laurito had a knock so I brought him off and brought on Saviola.

Curtis Davies then picked up an injury, so on came Matthew Upson. James Milner then nearly got us back in the game, when he drilled in a right foot shot, but Gomes made a fine save. 4 Minutes to go, (awful game) Steven Defour found some space and hit a good shot, but the ball clipped the bar. Tottenham, comfortably saw out the game to pick up all 3 points.

So dissapointing.

Tottenham 2-0 Aston Villa

David Bentley (33)

Wilson Palacios (45)

28th March - 3rd April

It was a good month again for our players as Steven Defour and Emiliano Insua finished 1st and 2nd in the Young Player of the Month award respectively. Curtis Davies was also ruled out for 3 weeks.

Premiership Results:

Arsenal 3-1 Bolton

Blackburn 0-0 Tottenham

Bristol City 2-1 Wolves

Fulham 1-2 Chelsea

Liverpool 5-2 Middlesbrough

Chelsea 4-2 West Brom

Newcastle 4-0 Portsmouth

Preston 3-5 Sunderland

Stoke 2-2 Everton

Aston Villa Vs Manchester United - Saturday 3rd April - Premiership

Team News: Friedel, Reo-Coker, Upson, Bassong, Insua, Defour, Barry, Young, Krasic, Di Maria, Laurito. Bench: Schmeichel, Nelson, Bouma, Busquets, Milner, Delfouneso, Saviola.

Team: Same team apart Upson comes in for injured Davies, while Busquets and Delfouneso return to the bench.

We got off to a perfect start, Reo-Coker drove down the right and his ball was perfect into Di Maria, his finish was a good one into the corner. Then our next attack on 9 minutes came from a long ball by Upson, Laurito raced onto the ball, Van Der Sar come out to clear but he missed it and Laurito got their to finish into the open goal! It was nearly 3-0 as Ashley Young fired a free kick, somehow Van Der Sar tipped it over. It was all us as Steven Defour then smashed a shot just inches wide of the mark after good play from Krasic, it was a good half for us.

I told the players to not get complacent, we stuck with the same as the 1st half 11, they were terrefic.

3 Minutes into the second half, Di Maria came inside from the left and found Steven Defour and 1st time he hit the ball so sweetly, Van Der Sar stood no chance as the ball nestled into the top corner. On 55 minutes Emiliano Insua came inside and hit a wonderful right foot shot from 30 yards, but the ball flew just inches past the post. United only had their 1st chance of the game on 70 mintues as Scholes played in Dimitar Berbatov, Berbatov struck over the bar. Then something that's just completly football, Ze Castro not played a game all season, and in 2 weeks of terminating his loan, Davies and Now Upson we're injured, on came Bouma to play centre back, then in the last minute both Laurito and Di Maria both got knocks, but it didn't matter as we held on for a fantastic 3 points

Aston Villa 3-0 Manchester United

Angel Di Maria (5)

Federico Laurito (11)

Steven Defour (48)

Archived