FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

Originally posted by Dayle Wood:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ricardo Kaka':

i play 4 1 3 2

bought zapatar and van der vaart. Tevez has been a beast. 11 goals in 6 epl matches. Tied for first with Chelski

How has Van der vaart been for you. I am going to either buy him or Matias Fernandez but not both. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Van der Vaart over Fernandez any day. Fernandez was a consistent underperformer and was quickly dubbed a flop.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by crazyrap465:

Buys:

Amauri 11m way better stats than Huntelaar. Quieroz says he is a quality player in coach reports. I'm trying to work him in slowly, as the Tevez-Rooney partnership as done very well

Rafinha 10m Backup To Neville/ extra winger

Saivet- can be had for a free and looks good

Sold:

Eagles 3.1

Dong 1

Eckersly 700

Beat Chelsea 4-1 in the Community Shield, with Rooney netting a fab hat trick. So far I'm top of the league with 4 wins out of four.

Im interested in how Amauri goes too, stats look good, but im having trouble getting him for a decent fee. Gyan looks good too, although my scout said he probably wouldnt get a work permit. Eddie Johnson is still an option, but his CA looks like it has been nerfed a bit.

well im currently top of my deme game with utd only player bought was huntelar who is my top scorer not using target man playin 4-2-3-1 with roonye just behind huntelar my team is as follows

gk-kuzsack

dl-evra

dr-neville

dc-vidic/pique

dc-rio

cm-scholes/anderson

cm carrick

aml-nani/giggs

amr-ronaldo

am-rooney/tevez

st-huntelar

hargreaves is left out as he dislikes wayne rooney for sum reason.and van der sar too old kuzsack looking solid and curently top in november after beating chelsea 2-0 peace!!!

My first post... My team is almost default as I've only signed Michael Owen (9m).

In another game I signed Huntelaar for 4.7m. I just put him on my shortlist, put a few bids in and declared my interest, and after about a month he put himself on the transfer list for 4.7m.

I've put together a pretty decent formation over the past week with various teams and is working very well with United. A lot of chances are made so when Owen's fully fit he'll be knocking them in for fun.

The only problem I have is to get Ronaldo more involved. He does a couple of nice things now and again, but I just want more from him.

Originally posted by Donaldoholic:

My first post... My team is almost default as I've only signed Michael Owen (9m).

In another game I signed Huntelaar for 4.7m. I just put him on my shortlist, put a few bids in and declared my interest, and after about a month he put himself on the transfer list for 4.7m.

I've put together a pretty decent formation over the past week with various teams and is working very well with United. A lot of chances are made so when Owen's fully fit he'll be knocking them in for fun.

The only problem I have is to get Ronaldo more involved. He does a couple of nice things now and again, but I just want more from him.

To get him the ball more, try mixed FWRs, using wide formations and set passing to down the flanks. You could set him to playmaker as well.

Nah,I tend to sign targetmen with minimum of 16 for jumping and heading and i find Huntelaar stats are just below this mark and hes way better irl.15 for jumping doesnt really win many headers tho i guess it depends on your tactics.by the way Vagner Love is ace with ball played to feet

Ah... another late return to a new Man Utd thread... typical of me.

Anyhow! I finished the demo as Manchester United in about 2 days, I am quite happy with the game although there are a few niggles that annoy me slightly, one is Ronaldo and Rooney's PA being close to their CA even though they are still very young and always improving as seen last season. The second is the fact that Ronaldo and Kaka are still 2nd class players behind Ronaldinho, Messi, Villa, Silva in stat wise anyhow.

But anyway, after swapping Tevez or Rooney for Berbatov my results actually dived, so I think I will play again and just use Rooney and Tevez as my main partnership like in FM2007. I am not sure whether I will use Anderson as a ST or an MC, I havent decided yet. And I may swoop for Silva as an AML...

Also, I like the look of Foster, even though he is injured he looks amazing and due to coach reports I have reason to believe he has high potential! yay!

Pandev is ffffb icon14.gif But Rooney is better. I've got 3 almost identical strikers now and they're all playing well. They're all strong, creative, fast, great technically, can pass, can shoot from far and are fairly clinical. According to FM, similar strikers definitely can play together.

Hi, ive just started a game with the Red Devils, got Adriano in on loan and Ignashevich on a free.

Been reading great things about Van Der Vaart, should i go for him?

I also wouldn't mind beefing up my wings with some good talent, any reccomendations?

Also with Adriano in, reckon i should still look for another striker, maybe a target man?

Originally posted by srezel:

Hi, ive just started a game with the Red Devils, got Adriano in on loan and Ignashevich on a free.

Been reading great things about Van Der Vaart, should i go for him?

I also wouldn't mind beefing up my wings with some good talent, any reccomendations?

Also with Adriano in, reckon i should still look for another striker, maybe a target man?

I personally like Van Der Vaart, but he's nothing compared to our own scholesy. on the wing you already have talent.. but if you want more talent on the left, Joaquin and Silva should be excellent signings (both Valencia)

Targetman, well you do have Saha <_<

I don't think its worth buying an AMC considering that Anderson improves very fast if you play him from the start. At the end of the demo Quieroz prefered him to Scholes.

He scored 8 for me which is a good return considering Scholes only had 3 and they played a similar amount of games.

***Mod told me to move this into here***

Basically I play a 4-4-1-1 tactic at home with Rooney or Tevez play behind the target man and a 4-2-3-1 tactic in difficult away matches. Both tactics using a playmaker and target man, bringing me much success.

So in the demo i signed Huntelaar as my target man, but he has been disappointing for me.

App: 20(3)

Scored: 6

Assisted: 4

Avg. Rating: 7

Saha looks much better then Huntelaar when he comes on.

When the full game comes out, i'm stuck between 2 paths on where to go, and this where i need your advice.

1.)Don't sign any players. Use Saha as my target man and Rooney if needed, who has played a couple of times for me as a target man and done well. Then in my 2nd season buy A.Gyan, who if i'm correct should have gained italian nationality therefore not needing a work permit(wouldn't mind confirmation on this???). He would be my perfect target man. And after a few sales and left over transfer budget money, buy Okaka as my second target man. Leaving me with Rooney and Tevez(Playing behind the TM) and Gyan and Okaka(my 2 Target Men).

2.) Buy Huntelaar, but in the home tactic use him as a normal striker and in the away tactic use Saha. Then in my 2nd season buy Gyan. Leaving me with Rooney/Tevez and Gyan and Huntelaar, which gives me more variety.

Because i like using target men in both my tactics, i'm edging over towards option 1.

What would you guys(or gals Smile) do in my position???

I think Eddie Johnson is still going to be quality. Compared his starting stats to start of game for 2007.

In 2008 his

Dribbling up from 6 to 13

Passing up 9 to 12

Acceleration up 16 to 18

Agility/Balance/Pace up 1

Positioning up 7 to 11

Team Work up 8 to 10

Work rate down 14 to 12

Heading down 16 to 14

Hes still going to be a quality Targetman once his Heading stat gets developed.

Everyone says rooney and tevez partnership works well! I just can't seem to make them coexist! I Play a 4-4-2 with them up front (tevez right and rooney left if that matters) and they hardly ever score - are there any instructions to get the best out of them??

Originally posted by zubin23:

Everyone says rooney and tevez partnership works well! I just can't seem to make them coexist! I Play a 4-4-2 with them up front (tevez right and rooney left if that matters) and they hardly ever score - are there any instructions to get the best out of them??

I play rooney with full attacking

creative freedom at 17-20

closing down at 18

foward runs often

run with ball often

and free role

Tevez is the same except i put run with ball as mixed and no free role.

I decided that tevez would be my out and out striker since his finishing was better and he has been great for me

Originally posted by zubin23:

Ya the partnership is great actually with most formations. One that i tinkered with was 4411 with tevez right behind Rooney in the AMC position with an arrow forward. They both bang in loads of goals. As for instructions i go with pretty much Ricardo Kaka's settings, except for the free role on rooney.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zubin23:

Ya the partnership is great actually with most formations. One that i tinkered with was 4411 with tevez right behind Rooney in the AMC position with an arrow forward. They both bang in loads of goals. As for instructions i go with pretty much Ricardo Kaka's settings, except for the free role on rooney. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I managed to get them going together well withthat formation too, tevez in behind as a freerole and rooney as a targetman with ball to feet. Can bring on huntelaar for rooney, drop rooney in behing or even Anderson, seems to work great.

Manchester United FM 08 Demo

Lineup

GK: Van Der Sar

RB: G. Neville /

CB: Vidic

CB: Ferdinand

LB: Evra

DMC: M. Veloso / Carrick

DMC: O. Hargreaves / Carrick

AML: R. Quaresma / Giggs

AMR: C. Ronaldo / Nani

AMC: Tevez / Rooney - Anderson

AC: Ronney / Tevez

TRANSFERS:

my.php?image=united3sv0.jpg

Since it's a Demo then i didn't try and the the maximum for my players..

-

Team sheet / Avg. Rating / Apps / Goals / Form / Morale

my.php?image=united4jw8.jpg

Premiere League Standings

my.php?image=united2rw4.jpg

Originally posted by Illdisposed:

Manchester United FM 08 Demo

Lineup

GK: Van Der Sar

RB: G. Neville /

CB: Vidic

CB: Ferdinand

LB: Evra

DMC: M. Veloso / Carrick

DMC: O. Hargreaves / Carrick

AML: R. Quaresma / Giggs

AMR: C. Ronaldo / Nani

AMC: Tevez / Rooney - Anderson

AC: Ronney / Tevez

TRANSFERS:

my.php?image=united3sv0.jpg

Since it's a Demo then i didn't try and the the maximum for my players..

-

my.php?image=united4jw8.jpg

my.php?image=united2rw4.jpg

Links do work so I'll add direct Link:

Transfer

http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?image=united3sv0.jpg

http://img502.imageshack.us/my.php?image=united4jw8.jpg

http://img122.imageshack.us/my.php?image=united2rw4.jpg

thats some great result... i am looking to use the same tactic as well, however i definitely wont buy another two from portugal...icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Ty H:

Illdisposed - How did you manage to sell so many players???

1st thing i do when i start is to Enter the Reserves List, hold down "Ctrl" And select all players, and putting them up for sale - then when teams Bid or ask about the player i change the Money i want for the player, thank god, then FM 08 Saves the Money i want, and i simply reply all teams with the asking price, and hopefully i sell the players. Also, if all the teams say the asking price is to high, then i reduce the price slightly and repeat again.

1st team players are the easiest, you just Put them up for sale and select the "not needed in the club" and other lower teams throughout the world will go crazy.

The price you see that I've sold my players are quite under the usual price i get for my players. I've played 4 full 08 Demo games now.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by crazyrap465:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sanchez11:

Hi has any one finished the demo with amuari in there team? if you have how has he done?

crap so far. He has 1 goal in 3(4) approximately, compared to 8 in 8 for Rooney and 4 for 6 with tevez </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers

Im looking to add either a left or right winger.

Any recommendations?

Ricardo Quaresma is godlike in my opinion, maybe not a Lionel Messi but well worth the £27.5m you can buy him for.

Ricardo Quaresma Screenshot:

http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=united95cr1.jpg

I'd suggest you just look at the players stats and not really on the Statistics, I've used him as a SUB To ease his way into the 1st team. Quaresma can be used as both AML and AMR - hod good is that?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by srezel:

Any recommendations?

Ricardo Quaresma is godlike in my opinion, maybe not a Lionel Messi but well worth the £27.5m you can buy him for.

I'd suggest you just look at the players stats and not really on the Statistics, I've used him as a SUB To ease his way into the 1st team. Quaresma can be used as both AML and AMR - hod good is that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, if you think his stats are good, then take a look at Silva from Valencia.

He's definately one of the best players on the game statswise! icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by No.25:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Illdisposed:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by srezel:

Any recommendations?

I'd suggest you just look at the players stats and not really on the Statistics, I've used him as a SUB To ease his way into the 1st team. Quaresma can be used as both AML and AMR - hod good is that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's definately one of the best players on the game statswise! icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you bought silva?

Originally posted by sanchez11:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No.25:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Illdisposed:

Any recommendations?

He's definately one of the best players on the game statswise! icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you bought silva? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope i Haven't bought Silva if the post if focussed on me icon_smile.gif I've never bought him throughout my time playing FM 07 and FM 08 Demo. Even if i matched his Buy-out clause then I'd doubt he would join my club, but that's just a guess since I've never tried to sign him. It's based on my scout report. Maybe He'd like to join United if i win the Champions league? That can sometimes make players like Buffon, Gattuso etc. Wanting to join you're team.

I'm gonna stick with Quaresma, even if Silva has "better" stats icon_smile.gif But thanks for letting me know about him

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sanchez11:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No.25:

Any recommendations?

Have you bought silva? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope i Haven't bought Silva if the post if focussed on me icon_smile.gif I've never bought him throughout my time playing FM 07 and FM 08 Demo. Even if i matched his Buy-out clause then I'd doubt he would join my club, but that's just a guess since I've never tried to sign him. It's based on my scout report. Maybe He'd like to join United if i win the Champions league? That can sometimes make players like Buffon, Gattuso etc. Wanting to join you're team.

I'm gonna stick with Quaresma, even if Silva has "better" stats icon_smile.gif But thanks for letting me know about him </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok

Any recommendations?

Yeah i've been looking at Quaresma, but isn't he just good, nothing fantastic? I mean i am an admirer of his stats but my scouts say he's just a good signing. However they said Silva is better.

So how much is Quaresma or Silva, and which is better value for money?

Any recommendations?

Yeah i've been looking at Quaresma, but isn't he just good, nothing fantastic? I mean i am an admirer of his stats but my scouts say he's just a good signing. However they said Silva is better.

So how much is Quaresma or Silva, and which is better value for money? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seeing that Illdisposed bought Quaresma for 27.5 mio, it's probably around that.

Silva, however, is much more expensive. I offered 50 mio which was refused.

Who's the better value for money is hard to answer as I haven't tried any of them and don't know what the price of Silva is icon_smile.gif

I would however say Quaresma for a few seasons, but Silva on the other hand is only 21 years old, so he'll probably last 10 years.

Any recommendations?

So how much is Quaresma or Silva, and which is better value for money? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seeing that Illdisposed bought Quaresma for 27.5 mio, it's probably around that.

Who's the better value for money is hard to answer as I haven't tried any of them and don't know what the price of Silva is icon_smile.gif

I would however say Quaresma for a few seasons, but Silva on the other hand is only 21 years old, so he'll probably last 10 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But how does one get 27.5 million with ManU's budget? I tried selling some fringe and reserve players, but i still don't have enough. How did you guys get so much?

Any recommendations?

I would however say Quaresma for a few seasons, but Silva on the other hand is only 21 years old, so he'll probably last 10 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But how does one get 27.5 million with ManU's budget? I tried selling some fringe and reserve players, but i still don't have enough. How did you guys get so much? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check out this screenshot: http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?image=united3sv0.jpg It shows the list of players I managed to sell, since it was the demo then i just accepted whatever price to get a bigger transfer budget, in the Final release, then i could probably get a few more for the players. But it's not much.

As you also can see, then it almost adds up with the transfer money i made from selling players and buying. Also, adjusting you're player wage / trasnfer budget helps a lot. And also, setting the expectations for winning the league to high increases you're budget. But keep in mind, theres a lot of expectations from the board, i think if you don't win the premiere league or champions league then you'll be sacked, but I'm not sure. I don't know how the board react. Also keep in mind the "2 year plan" the board has set up for you.

hope this helps you to increase you're transfer budget

Archived