Thoughts on my tactic

I would love dome thoughts on my tactic .I am managing Exeter City in the championship, we are one of worst teams in the division so I am trying to avoid relegation.i have to slowish centre backs so am trying to avoid a high d.l.i would really like some advice so I could learn more thank you

1603700208236921085303823156187.jpg

I don’t know anything about Exeter or their players but your selection of roles doesn’t fit with one of the worst teams in the division as you quote them. Two playmakers, shorter passing & higher tempo is more suited for a better, more technical team, not one as u suggest trying to avoid relegation. 
Before making any suggestions, do you have the players to play two playmakers? 

Just use the one playmaker in midfield, if any 

Use just the one attack duty on the left flank 

WB on the right flank might be too adventurous, I don't like the WB & W combo especially when you have an attack duty on the right hand side of midfield 

IF(A) & AF(A) isn't a good combo, a good one would be IF(S) & AF(A) or IF(A) & DLF(S/A). Think along the lines of Creator/ Finisher. You either want the IF to be the main scorer or the creator, the same for the striker

TI's don't look too bad to me, I just wouldn't use Regroup 

1 hour ago, dazza11 said:

I don’t know anything about Exeter or their players but your selection of roles doesn’t fit with one of the worst teams in the division as you quote them. Two playmakers, shorter passing & higher tempo is more suited for a better, more technical team, not one as u suggest trying to avoid relegation. 
Before making any suggestions, do you have the players to play two playmakers? 

Mundle is definitely capable of being a play maker so is Collins but like you say might be overkill. I have 3 good wing backs/full backs plus a ok midfield .I am struggling to find a winning formula right now but willing to learn .I think we got promoted a season early with a young team.

13 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Just use the one playmaker in midfield, if any 

Use just the one attack duty on the left flank 

WB on the right flank might be too adventurous, I don't like the WB & W combo especially when you have an attack duty on the right hand side of midfield 

IF(A) & AF(A) isn't a good combo, a good one would be IF(S) & AF(A) or IF(A) & DLF(S/A). Think along the lines of Creator/ Finisher. You either want the IF to be the main scorer or the creator, the same for the striker

TI's don't look too bad to me, I just wouldn't use Regroup 

Thank you .

Try implementing a more direct style of play if you're at the worse end of the league.

FB instead of WB to have them stay in the back and give early crosses.

If your DLP is decent at defending, you can place him in the DM spot on defend duty. This way you have him close to the position where you'll recover the ball in defense, so he can be the starting point of a counter attack. 

Then your CM combo can be BWMs and CMa (if you have a CM that is decent in the final third)

40 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

If you're going more direct, you'll probably want the fastest guy to be the finisher if he has the attributes

With slow centre backs the mark tighter instruction may be an issue. 

Your tactic is too aggressive for the quality your side has. Even a top team would have defensive issues because you are so aggro down the left and it isn't balanced enough by the right.

Instead of WB(A): WB(S). Still gets forward, but not as often and doesn't do anything fancy on the ball. You need relief and occasional width. That screams support.

The STC should be either playing in the AML and dropping in to the AMC space or fed by the two wingers and midfield. Pick a goalscorer and put his primary creator on support.

Something like:

DLF(s), IF(a), W(s) against teams of similar quality or weaker. Here you are trying to draw teams that are more conservative out of position

or

P(a), IF/AP(s), W(A) against stronger teams so you have a strong counter attack. Winger on attack to give time for your team to attack the box  when he has the ball rather than having only your poacher available. Also offers an additional goalscorer when he doesn't have it. Here you are attacking spaces in behind.

In terms of midfield trio you should keep it simple and focus primarily on shielding defence, breaking up opposition attacks and runs from deep. A trio of CM(s), CM(d) and either BBM(s) or CM(a) will achieve that. Tell the CM(s) to tackle harder and hold position, tell the BBM to get further forward. Creativity will come from the flanks. The reason for this advice is your team will be underdogs most matches, so your game should usually be about stopping the opposition from playing theirs and capitalising on space in behind. Playmakers and fancy roles are for teams that camp in opposition half or try to dominate possession.

Edited by Domus Clamantium

11 hours ago, Weasek said:

we are one of worst teams in the division so I am trying to avoid relegation.i have to slowish centre backs

If you are among the worst teams in the league fighting against relegation, then:

- do not play both wide players on the same flank (left) on attack duties (plus in already attack-minded roles at that)

- do not use tight marking in a system (formation) that is not optimally suited for such manner of defending

- do not use an increased pressing urgency (or at least be very careful with it) when you play on a high-risk team mentality (positive in this case)

- do not use an attack-minded fullback role behind a CM on attack duty (referring to the WB on support behind the attacking AP on the right)

Thank you everyone, my in experience on fm has showed.i just thought that not scoring many goals wouldn't be linked to being able to defend better.well 5 points in  the last 3 games has given us a big chance of getting out of relegation so the advice worked.