Seeing a game out

I’m looking for some advice on the best way to see a game out. I’m in my first season at Brentford and whilst my tactic is working really well at the moment I was wondering what tweaks I could make without switching to a whole new tactic or making drastic changes as I find this doesn’t help! Had some pretty dodgy moments in the last 15-20 mins when 2-0 and end up clinging on to a 2-1 or ending 2-2. It’s probably glaringly obvious but I’ve yet to work it out. I’ve posted tactic below, any advice would be greatly welcomed. Excuse the poor picture quality 

CE5CC50D-2E06-4D2F-9C5A-5331935D047D.png

FIrstly, at 2-0 up going into the last 10-15 minutes, your opponent is going to push harder so your tactical decisions may not be the cause.

For me thoguh, sitting out the last 10, I slow things down (tempo lower, GK - slow down ditribution) and tighten things a little, perhaps one step narrower and bring LoE and DL closer buy one stop. Shorten passing as the players are now closer together. Play For Set Pieces can eat up the minutes, as can Shoot on Sight (blast it to Row Z). Time wasting to Max.

I don't like sitting back and packing defence, I usually end up conceding, BUT keep doing whatever got you  to 2-0 but narrower, shorter and slower. Keep-ball (unless you can blast it into Row Z!)

5 hours ago, Snorks said:

FIrstly, at 2-0 up going into the last 10-15 minutes, your opponent is going to push harder so your tactical decisions may not be the cause.

For me thoguh, sitting out the last 10, I slow things down (tempo lower, GK - slow down ditribution) and tighten things a little, perhaps one step narrower and bring LoE and DL closer buy one stop. Shorten passing as the players are now closer together. Play For Set Pieces can eat up the minutes, as can Shoot on Sight (blast it to Row Z). Time wasting to Max.

I don't like sitting back and packing defence, I usually end up conceding, BUT keep doing whatever got you  to 2-0 but narrower, shorter and slower. Keep-ball (unless you can blast it into Row Z!)

What about player roles? Should I reduce some attack duties, change a role? 

I'm currently playing with the same formation and often move the AML and AMR back one slot deeper so I'm playing a 4 1 4 1. I also try and leave the roles the same or similar so in your case I'd try playing my ML and MR as inverted wingers on attack. This way you're not making any dramatic alterations but you are making the team a bit more defensively sound.

Moving the wingers back a strata is a good idea, as AML/AMR don't really have a defensive role and with more urgent pressing, they're more likely to try and get higher upfield and press fullbacks/wingbacks, which could leave your own wide defenders without any support. I'd also suggest changing the AP to a DLP in these situations, so that you have a holding player in the center of the park -- you'll have less penetration centrally; when you're trying to see the game out, I think that's a trade-off that makes sense.

Dropping the mentality on your wide defenders is also something to consider, WB(D) or (Auto) are under-used IMO and would help you be more solid while still providing wide outlets.

The main threat at end of the game is when they go to a 433 (3 St) or 424 which needs caution from the FB to keep covered.  I tend to just go to FB-De and let the forwards try to use the space opponents give up.  Can still be a bit of a shoot out end to end but that extra cover helps prevent the CBs getting out numbered.

15 hours ago, Sarriball14 said:

What about player roles? Should I reduce some attack duties, change a role? 

To be honest I rarely do - I tend to play with AML/R rather than ML/R. I have one on Attack and one on support as my standard set up. The FB behind the Support winger is an Attack duty - so I might pull him back to be more defensive, to a FB-S or WB-S or even Defend if that's an area I am concerned about. However, the Attack duty positions are going to keep the opposition pinned back or if not, have space to work in - getting another goal is the best defence!

If you have a number of Attack duties then yes I would, I tend to have three or four maximum, so yes, a WB-A might come back to a Defend duty but otherwise  I still want them to score if they can. It often surprises me the difference a change in just Tempo can make to  a performance.

Like I said earlier, I keep doing what was working, just shorter and slower.