Player learning new trait without being mentored

This player acquired this trait without being mentored which deprives him of the use of his fairly strong weaker foot. Is this kind of trait acquisition influenced by team leaders/players in the same social group or completely random/out of our control?

1.thumb.jpg.a7d62485e73cee460a8ec95ef7cf5473.jpg

2.jpg.4f22e8a0b2cb263d519078a6dd3b9c66.jpg

It's possible to pick up traits from players in the same training unit. It was possible in FM19, so I doubt that this changed. It shouldn't be a common occurrence though. 

Edit: I looked and you asked the same question in FM19. Got the same answer too.   :brock:

But yeah, it shouldn't be common. Mentoring should see traits being passed on much more than via a training unit. Players are supposed to learn traits that suit them/their style, so it's a strange one in this case since he can actually use the other foot.

13 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Edit: I looked and you asked the same question in FM19. Got the same answer too.   

Hah, yes. I guess that as a minmaxer this issue vexes me greatly, especially given that it is very hard to unlearn traits.

2 minutes ago, Ein said:

as a minmaxer

Save yourself a lot of headaches and frustration and don't think about FM like this!

In this case, if it were earlier in the cycle, I'd say report it as a bug. Wanting to learn that trait doesn't suit the player, so it doesn't make sense.

My understanding was that since FM19 the only way to get young players to learn traits was through putting them in a mentoring unit with other older (over 23) influential players with the desired traits. I find it's the best way, because the other way, having them learn it by individual training takes too long and takes up valuable training time. For this reason I would never put a player in a training unit whose traits you wouldn't want. It's rather simple how it works.

Edited by crusadertsar

I have the same issue where out of nowhere my winger has picked up 'runs with ball trough center'. He also seems to be unwilling to unlearn this. Extremely frustrating. 

He's not part of a mentoring unit but my AMC who's my best player and leader has this trait. So I assume it must be from the training unit.