Shots/On target...

I get that this is a ridiculously broad question, but my team is Currently having around 15/20 shots a game but only managing 3/4 on target. Now I know it’s not going to be a “one click and fixed” scenario but is there anything I can actually do to help my players realise that they are meant to try and aim the round thing to go between the posts of the big white thing at the end of the pitch? 

Best starting point is probably to look at the specifics - who is taking the shots, when/why are they taking them and why are they missing. 

Your poacher missing 15 shots a game from 3 yards out would need a different fix to your CMs repeatedly punting 40 yarders when they don't have any passes on, for example.

That's good advice. All I can add to that is that often the culprits are long shots or blocked shots, so that's something to look for as well.

While I do not have an issue with my players shooting from distance, I try not to have too many of those shots. They're low % shots, so I want my players only taking them when it's a great time to do so.

Blocked shots is one that I often see as a problem for users. This can be a little tricky to solve, but it could be very low tempo play with little movement, making it easy for the defense to just sit and hold shape. Rectifying that would require some tactical tweaking.

Trust me it won't make any difference if you start getting shots on target. The AI will just start blocking everything before scoring on the counter attack or with a crossed free-kick to the bark post.

The problem is if you become slightly successful, the only way the AI can combat it is by sticking 11 players on the edge of their six yard box. Least enjoyable FM ever made.

"Shots" is kind of vague in terms of how the game calculates it. If you're playing a patient game, and your boys are sitting in the zone facing a ton of defenders, and the ball is bouncing around like a pinball, you might get 6-10 "shots" on the goal in a single play, whether or not there was any chance they were going to go in or not. The more important metric is chances and half chances. If your striker is blowing too many actual chances, you may want to watch the chances to see why. If you give them the traits "lob the keeper", or "round the keeper", or "places shots", or other suitable finishing training, it will directly help him to make the shots he couldn't before. If you're not getting much in the way of chances, it would benefit your team greatly if you analyzed why and made changes to your tactics, individual instructions, or player traits that would assist in this matter.

Some of these issues could boil down to your players lacking in various attributes that you are asking them to be competent in, making them subtly inappropriate for the task. Or, you may not be making use of their strengths. A while back in a very low league I had a striker with decent potential. His dribbling skill was insanely high for the league (~14), but his finishing score was atrocious (~5). Over the next few years I trained him to round the keeper, dribble more, dribble through center, and get into opposition area. I also worked a bit on his physicals so he wouldn't be pushed around. Little guy (he was hilariously small- making him look like a child) would just wander through defensive lines with the ball like it was nothing and score a hat trick most games. Nobody could touch him. He would actively generate chances, and resulting goals, from a simple midfield pass.

Other times the player could just be acting like an idiot, or going through a dry spell. If it's the former, you can criticize their last match where they blew all their chances for no apparent reason, call them out on it, and miraculously they'll start being more clinical. Have to be careful, though, because if it's a dry spell, you could make matters worse by criticizing him for it. Generally, though, it's your job to ensure every player on the pitch can excel in their tasks through solid tactics and fine tuning.

Edited by Prepper_Jack