Help me beat my friend on FM20

Me and my friend every year play a save together but nearly every time he beats me and wins the league. he uses the same tactic and no matter what I do I cant beat him even if the teams are similar. does anyone who has a good understanding of tactics have any suggestions on how to beat this tactic? (I only know what he uses as I quickly saw this when he left his laptop unattended)

Screenshot 2020-05-19 at 19.47.32.png

You are posting in the wrong forum. If you ask in the Tactics Training and Strategies  forum and explain what type of football you would like to play you and the things that are going wrong with your present tactic you will receive help. However before doing so I would recommend reading Pairs and Combinations  which will help you to make a balanced tactic. 

Edited by Hovis Dexter

For what you are asking, I think you are much more likely to get help in this "Upload/Download" section than in the regular tactical forum, so I moved the topic there. Your friend seems to be using a plug'n'play (exploit) tactic, so you are hardly going to beat him with a normal and sensible one. 

9 hours ago, AB Michael said:

Me and my friend every year play a save together but nearly every time he beats me and wins the league. he uses the same tactic and no matter what I do I cant beat him even if the teams are similar. does anyone who has a good understanding of tactics have any suggestions on how to beat this tactic? (I only know what he uses as I quickly saw this when he left his laptop unattended)

Screenshot 2020-05-19 at 19.47.32.png

Hey, i don't believe the best way about this is 'Plug n Play' as suggested. You can use you scout analysis, or you can scout his team. Check where and how he scores most his goals and where the assist location is. if you don't want to use a 'Plug n Play' that many seem to be against, then don't have to follow that route.

there is a few ways around this. Defensive width can go to wide, whilst you tight mark his wide men. your wide players could also exploit his weakness, aim to pass into space in behind his defence and full backs...You might wan't one or two players running into channels in attempt to stretch his defence whilst runners exploiting the space created...Using a DM is a must i think, maybe use 2DMs....you can go for a 4231 (either 2DMs with AML AMC AMR, or 2DMs with ML MC MR) ...Being deep (not too deep) can be another option. his team do not priorities possession, you can possession he gives away from playing direct and very high tempo. 

3 hours ago, Cadoni said:

There is no exploit tactic in FM20. 

I'm not as clued up on Experienced Defender on tactics, but an exploit in any sense is just making use of a weakness in the game. Doesn't necessarily guarantee results but they can cover anything from the ME to training, to transfer/contract negotiations, to even pre-season friendlies. For quite a number of years the playing big teams in pre-season friendlies endured. 

For the OP, if you're looking for something for a one-off game to counter a specific type of play then I usually find Knap has good selection of tactics in his thread. Might be worth asking him directly in here: 

Again, it's anecdotal but he's my go to for a 1 off network game against another player. 

Thanks for all your suggestions and feedback, as you can see I have his tactic and I've used it against him and managed to draw or scrape a win but I just wanted a way to dominate his formation and do what he does to me over and over 

On 23/05/2020 at 05:49, RDF Tactics said:

Hey, i don't believe the best way about this is 'Plug n Play' as suggested. You can use you scout analysis, or you can scout his team. Check where and how he scores most his goals and where the assist location is. if you don't want to use a 'Plug n Play' that many seem to be against, then don't have to follow that route.

there is a few ways around this. Defensive width can go to wide, whilst you tight mark his wide men. your wide players could also exploit his weakness, aim to pass into space in behind his defence and full backs...You might wan't one or two players running into channels in attempt to stretch his defence whilst runners exploiting the space created...Using a DM is a must i think, maybe use 2DMs....you can go for a 4231 (either 2DMs with AML AMC AMR, or 2DMs with ML MC MR) ...Being deep (not too deep) can be another option. his team do not priorities possession, you can possession he gives away from playing direct and very high tempo. 

Hi RDF which Beowulf tactic in your opinion works best with underdog teams like Brighton and watford and helps in domestic cup matches too?

• 1 month later...

Very similar to my Lyon tactic and the only team I consistently struggle against is Liverpool who play very similar, only other formations I struggle against are 532 with two wingbacks 3 centre backs like Atalanta, can't comment on good instructions as you don't get to see opposition team instructions but like I said Liverpool are unplayable so I'd say play him at his own game