No nonsense full-back

Hi guys! On my Watford save, I've got to the stage where I'm a European regular, and now my regular right-back is coming towards the end of his time at the club (30 yo and doesn't want to renew, trying desperately to shift him). I've got a 22 yo lad who spent last season deputising at RB and CB, got superb defensive stats, but is poor going forward, would it be worth me having him as my first choice as a no-nonsense full-back, or is that only really a suitable option for lower clubs? Just how much would it hinder me going forward (in particular my right winger, who was my second top goalscorer and best assister last season)

It really depends on what sort of football your team plays. I don't think there's any particular reason a no-nonsense full back couldn't be successful at your level. So long as it makes sense in the system. If you're playing any sort of short passing, tiki taka, or wing play type system I'd probably suggest paying for a wingback. You can also train the guy as a CB if he's that good defensively?

i would go the preferred move option, if he is that good to adapt the team to

could train him to look for long passes if that is an option, or cross early and put his aim to center?

failing that a dlp in front of him and a bpd next to him would let them be more aggressive while he covers, or take a right winger that doesnt need to track back? plenty of options

6 hours ago, GianniM said:

Best to invest in the young lad then and let the 30 year old be the sub

As it turned out, both my LBs were crocked for about 6 weeks so he's been filling in there lol

• 3 weeks later...

Had been trying to sign a Brazilian regen right-back from Barcelona, they always quoted £80m, until he got the hump there so I got him for £50m rising to £55m. Sold my no nonsense full back to Atletico for a fee rising to £45m, which despite the fact some of that had to go to Colchester (who must be buzzing right now lol), I think is a pretty good deal as he never really excelled anywhere I put him

When I have a good defensive full back, who is poor at going forward, I generally set him as a standard full back on defend duty, especially if I am playing out of the defence. I also give him the cross less often player instruction to lessen the effect of the cross from deep that is set by default.

I think the no nonsence full back goes against the play out of defence team instruction, because of the default more direct passing player instruction that is set with the role.

Edited by north_london_fan