Gaining new Nationality

Hi there.

I am playing in Indonesia, and I am wondering, how do my brazilian players get an Indonesian nationality?
I know if they played in spain, they could get EU-citizenship if they stayed there for 2-3 seasons or something like that.

Is it possible in Indonesia?

If you select the player, go to their nationality information, it should tell you how long it'll take for them to gain Indonesian nationality. However, they won't take it automatically, they may decide to remain solely Brazilian.

7 minutes ago, Ninja777 said:

Problem is, nothing is stated under the players or any of my players nationality information. Not even how long he needs more. I'm playing Touch version on the pc, not that it should matter.

From what I can see online, Indonesia doesn't recognise dual nationality, so chances are that the Brazilian players just have zero intention of ever taking Indonesian citizenship, because they'd have to drop their Brazilian nationality to do so.

Well I am not even able to offer them, or ask them, to think about it.
Some of them might even get on the national team, because they are too good for the Indonesian but too bad for the Brazilian one. 
Maybe in real life, some would take that offer.

Even if dual nationality was available, due to the reputation of the league, I doubt that many ( if any ) Brazilian players would opt to take this out if they are required to drop their Brazilian nationality.  I suspect that you will need to look elsewhere.

8 hours ago, thehig2 said:

Ive had this happen whike managing teams in Russia.

Had a few Brazilains and a couple Portugease players and none of them had any data on eligibility to gain Russian Nationality

Did any of them already have caps for their national squad? If so, that may be why, as they'd only be able to play for Russia if they'd never played for their own national team, and if they can't play for Russia, it'd likely seem a waste to them to be interested in citizenship.

9 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Did any of them already have caps for their national squad? If so, that may be why, as they'd only be able to play for Russia if they'd never played for their own national team, and if they can't play for Russia, it'd likely seem a waste to them to be interested in citizenship.

They might have, not to sure I only stayed at Krasnodar two season and moved on.

Sounds likely to be honest 

It's possibly a bug as they should be able to gain Indonesian citizenship after 5 years of residing there. 

I find the gaining citizenship bits in FM are very hit and miss as to whether it works or not. 

I know China doesn't have it, but that's fairly realistic as its almost impossible to gain Chinese citizenship IRL. 

Also players often take citizenship to "help their club with foreign player limits", I've got 2 players who are doing just that on my current save. Neither will probably play for the national team of their adoptive nation. I've got 1 player who has 40+ caps for his home nation who also took a second nationality to help with the foreign player limits. 

Edited by kiwityke1983

4 hours ago, kiwityke1983 said:

It's possibly a bug as they should be able to gain Indonesian citizenship after 5 years of residing there. 

I find the gaining citizenship bits in FM are very hit and miss as to whether it works or not. 

I know China doesn't have it, but that's fairly realistic as its almost impossible to gain Chinese citizenship IRL. 

Also players often take citizenship to "help their club with foreign player limits", I've got 2 players who are doing just that on my current save. Neither will probably play for the national team of their adoptive nation. I've got 1 player who has 40+ caps for his home nation who also took a second nationality to help with the foreign player limits. 

Exactly, that's my "problem" here in Indonesia. I've read online, that you need 5 5 consecutive years or 10 non consecutive years to be able and it's also stated that you need other requirements. Like you can't have dual citizenship, so it would require the player to drop their old nationality. Of course, that would be the question, if they would be willing to do that. There are both pros and cons of doing it. But it could be cool, if I, as manager, could ask my player to consider it.

11 minutes ago, Ninja777 said:

Exactly, that's my "problem" here in Indonesia. I've read online, that you need 5 5 consecutive years or 10 non consecutive years to be able and it's also stated that you need other requirements. Like you can't have dual citizenship, so it would require the player to drop their old nationality. Of course, that would be the question, if they would be willing to do that. There are both pros and cons of doing it. But it could be cool, if I, as manager, could ask my player to consider it.

Check other foreign players at other clubs and see if they have any days to nationality under their Nationality info. 

If nobody has this then SI have obviously decided for whatever reason that gaining Indonesian nationality is essentially impossible so removed it from the game as per China. 

Actually I just came across a regen in my game, which is able to play for either Holland or Indonesia, so he actually has dual citizenship (he was "born" with it in Holland).
And also a real player Chris Fayers has dual citizenship. Australian/Indonesian
Samuel Sibatuara actually has 3. Australian/Indonesian/Italian
Emil Audero Indonesian/Italian.

Actually there's a few. So it is possible to have two or more. I guess you have to be "born" with it.

Edited by Ninja777

1 hour ago, Ninja777 said:

Actually I just came across a regen in my game, which is able to play for either Holland or Indonesia, so he actually has dual citizenship (he was "born" with it in Holland).
And also a real player Chris Fayers has dual citizenship. Australian/Indonesian
Samuel Sibatuara actually has 3. Australian/Indonesian/Italian
Emil Audero Indonesian/Italian.

Actually there's a few. So it is possible to have two or more. I guess you have to be "born" with it.

Aye, you can be born with dual nationality with Indonesia, but can't take it if you're gaining their citizenship.

I imagine FM doesn't have a mechanism built in for players to drop nationality or totally switch it, only to add a new one, as I have never seen an instance where this has happened in the game.

If you're looking for a fun save where you can build up the national team with a bunch of young players taking early citizenship my best experience with this type of save was in Poland where I believe it was only two years to gain nationality and the work permit rules were very favourable.