FBs on defend do not overlap ?

Hi!

I use a tactic of 4-4-2 with balance mentality. I set my FSs on defend but set the option to overlap (both right and left). But i see they do not overlap when attacking. Do they need to be set also on attack mentality or support? I thought that by adding the option to overlap  the FBs will do that even they are on defend mentality...

1 hour ago, anagain said:

Set them to automatic and they'll get forward when the team is attacking, but will be ready to defend when needed.

Automatic sets the duty in relation to the mentality (defend = very defensive & defensive, support = cautious, balanced and positive, attack = attacking and very attacking), so if he's using defensive or very defensive, this advice will actually do nothing.

My FBs/WBs still get forward with a cautious mentality, and are still very defensive when I set the team to attack. I find it works, is all.

The OP said he was using a balanced mentality, which is what I often use. I find automatic works well.

Edited by anagain

3 minutes ago, anagain said:

My FBs/WBs still get forward with a cautious mentality, and are still very defensive when I set the team to attack. I find it works, is all.

The OP said he was using a balanced mentality, which is what I often use. I find automatic works well.

I believe the UI could be helpful in this case, as I've seen a lot of people thinking that automatic is it's own duty.

5 minutes ago, dan99 said:

I believe the UI could be helpful in this case, as I've seen a lot of people thinking that automatic is it's own duty.

Oh, I know what automatic does. If I start a match on balanced, and switch to attack or cautious as I need, then my FBs will change as is required. In many formations FBs are very dynamic and are more changeable than many positions. The automatic mentaility reflects that.

Edited by anagain

I just have them set to basic full back training, though supportive covers the basics of a full back that will overlap.

I guess it has to be mentioned that I am lowly Bangor City. My players are not world beaters.

You might want to experiment and see what works best for you. Your FBs will need to be at least supportive to overlap regularly though. It will also depend on how adventurous your wingers are. 

In a 4-4-2 I very often don't want my fullbacks overlapping anyway its always caused me defensive issues as there is no DM to cover

I have used a Wide Midfielder on defend to allow an overlapp, that worked but normally I find I conceed less often with full backs being defenders in a 4-4-2