FM20 Tactics for Norwich

I'm really struggling to find a working tactic how to play with Norwich. 8 games, 1 win, 1draw and 6 losses. It seems like my defence is leaking to much. Maybe a few more goals scored would be fine too. I've tried different variations of 4-3-3. With DM and with 2 CM's and with 2 CM's and AMC.

I've played these CM/FM games for years and every time been a strong team like Liverpool etc. Now first time to manage a team wich is expeted to drop back down.

Now I'm finding it  impossible to find a suitable tactic. Of course Norwich squad is a weak one. Maybe could strenghten my squad in January window (if I still have the job). 

Need really some help if someone have find a tactic that works even somehow with Norwich. Sorry for my bad English. It's been a while when needed last time :) (I'm from Finland)

I'm playing with them right now and i just finished the first season in 12th spot. It wasn't amazing but like you said the squad isn't really good. I didin't like their wingers so i played 4-3-1-2 with Pukki and Drmic up top Buendia behind them as a am(s), Steiperman as mez(s) on the left Turnbull or Vrancic as a dlp(d) in the middle and Amadou as a carillero on the right with Aarons wb(a) and Lewis wb(s). Defense was good attack was lacking but the midfield isn't good so i think with better midfielders it would be a better set up. I don't have many TI's just shorter passing, play from back, work ball into box and counter on positive mentality, i enjoyed my first season with them with this tactic so you could try something like this.

17 minutes ago, Fëanáro Míriel said:

I'm playing with them right now and i just finished the first season in 12th spot. It wasn't amazing but like you said the squad isn't really good. I didin't like their wingers so i played 4-3-1-2 with Pukki and Drmic up top Buendia behind them as a am(s), Steiperman as mez(s) on the left Turnbull or Vrancic as a dlp(d) in the middle and Amadou as a carillero on the right with Aarons wb(a) and Lewis wb(s). Defense was good attack was lacking but the midfield isn't good so i think with better midfielders it would be a better set up. I don't have many TI's just shorter passing, play from back, work ball into box and counter on positive mentality, i enjoyed my first season with them with this tactic so you could try something like this.

I'd like try that. What kind of team instructions did you have?

55 minutes ago, Micco said:

I'm really struggling to find a working tactic how to play with Norwich. 8 games, 1 win, 1draw and 6 losses. It seems like my defence is leaking to much. Maybe a few more goals scored would be fine too. I've tried different variations of 4-3-3. With DM and with 2 CM's and with 2 CM's and AMC.

I've played these CM/FM games for years and every time been a strong team like Liverpool etc. Now first time to manage a team wich is expeted to drop back down.

Now I'm finding it  impossible to find a suitable tactic. Of course Norwich squad is a weak one. Maybe could strenghten my squad in January window (if I still have the job). 

Need really some help if someone have find a tactic that works even somehow with Norwich. Sorry for my bad English. It's been a while when needed last time :) (I'm from Finland)

Can you post a screenshot of your current tactic, to begin with? Because we can then analyze it and tell you what kind of tweaks could help to improve it. 

1 hour ago, Micco said:

image.thumb.png.12c8ddb8756ab7172f037b6df0cc9aed.png

Well, I can now see why you are struggling.

First, when you manage a team that has just been promoted to the elite league (a relegation candidate), the first thing you need to make sure is that your tactic is as solid defensively as possible. Which your tactic is not, given that:

- you have both left wide players (LB and AML) on attack duties, and on top of that - without any defensive cover from the midfield on their side

- you use not just more urgent pressing but also the counter-press, both of which tend to disrupt your defensive shape, rather than keep it stable and tight

- you play a BWM as the "holding" midfielder, but the problem is that it's not a real holding role (even when on defend duty), simply due to its very aggressive manner of defending

And you do all that while playing in a top-heavy formation without a DM (4231), which additionally contributes to the defensive risks mentioned above.

When it comes to the attacking side, there is a notable misbalance between your left and right halves of the setup - the left is overly attacking/adventurous/risky, whereas the right is overly conservative. 

Your team instructions seem to encourage a possession-oriented style of football (short pass, PoD, WBiB, distribution to CBs and FBs). Do you have the right players to properly execute such style of play? And even if you have such players, the tactic still needs a fair deal of tweaking in order to be better balanced in attack and more solid in defense.

Following all I wrote above, do you now have a more clear idea not only about what's wrong in your tactic, but also what you should do to improve it?

If yes - great!

If not, I'll be glad to help you through some examples and relevant explanations :thup:

Shithouse football is what I always play in first season with relegation fancied sides.

Flat back 4, disciplined and time wasting from the off.

I play for set pieces, and dedicate a lot of training to set pieces, sign a player or 2 who will dominate aerially for set prices.

Not a fun way for everyone, but its how I do it 

I finished 9th in my first season with Norwich. I pretty much only used 4-1-2-3, not exactly sure how it was set up because I changed it a lot over the season, Pukki was playing as DLF-A mainly, Buendia on the right as IW-S or IF-S. Buendia was my best player in that season (11 goals and 11 assists in PL) and I ended up selling him for over £85mil to Manchester United.
In 1st season I brought in 2 players, Kristoffer Ajer (I bring him to every club I play with, that guy is awesome, although a bit on the slower side, he can play as your centre back or, where I used him, a defensive/central mid) and Martin Terrier from Lyon (because you lack players in wide attacking midfield positions).

I ended up selling Tom Trybull, Kenny McLean, Moritz Leitner, Mario Vrancic, Grany Hanley, Dennis Srbeny.

I wouldn't set up my tactics the way you did it, and Experienced Defender pretty much explained why. I wont get into tactics, because now I myself am stuggling in my 2nd season, even though I'm 7th.

Hello!

I've got a save with Norwich going at the moment. Mid table first season, and broke into the top 8 in my second. I'm at work at the moment, but I'll post my tactic later. From memory - first season I used a 4-3-3 (4-1-2-2-1 wide or whatever it's called) and my team instructions were somewhere between tiki-taka, vertical tiki-taka and fluid counter-attack. It took me a lot of watching and quite a while to settle in though, and I changed it about a lot when trying to work things out. During my second season I stuck mainly with a tweaked 4-2-3-1 tiki-taka default (the change was due to personnel). I'll add more details and a couple screenshots later! 

6 hours ago, 99DECLAN said:

Hello!

I've got a save with Norwich going at the moment. Mid table first season, and broke into the top 8 in my second. I'm at work at the moment, but I'll post my tactic later. From memory - first season I used a 4-3-3 (4-1-2-2-1 wide or whatever it's called) and my team instructions were somewhere between tiki-taka, vertical tiki-taka and fluid counter-attack. It took me a lot of watching and quite a while to settle in though, and I changed it about a lot when trying to work things out. During my second season I stuck mainly with a tweaked 4-2-3-1 tiki-taka default (the change was due to personnel). I'll add more details and a couple screenshots later! 

Hi!

Would be great to see how you have make that working and wich kind of players you had in your squad.

• 5 months later...

I'm half way through the first season and currently sitting in 5th which is amazing. I'm using FM touch for the first time so I don't know if that's easier or just a coincidence. 

I've gone for an attacking gengen pressing formation switching between 442 and 4231. I got McKenna in at CB as the defenders were injured and Joe Willock in on loan. I'll share my formations when I get back home as I don't have a SS on phone.

Screenshot_20200629-173729.png

Edited by Experienced Defender
inappropriate word