More Flexibility on Tactical Formation

tyard89

Nowadays, it is not surprising to see teams playing with different formations on offense and defense. For example, Barca sometimes attacks with 4-4-2 and stays back with 4-3-3. This was sort of included before in old Championship Manager series. It might be included again. This can make the tactical aspect of the game more sophisticated.

• 3 months later...

Yes. It would be great if we could set in-possession and out-of-possession formations separately. In modern football, those are often completely different, whereas in the game it's very difficult, almost impossible to achieve. For example, a team can defend in a 4-4-2, but in attack one fullback comes inside, the other bombs forward, the winger on the same side moves behind the strikers, and the attacking formation becomes a 3-4-1-2. 

On 13/12/2019 at 11:12, Enzo_Francescoli said:

Yes. It would be great if we could set in-possession and out-of-possession formations separately. In modern football, those are often completely different, whereas in the game it's very difficult, almost impossible to achieve. For example, a team can defend in a 4-4-2, but in attack one fullback comes inside, the other bombs forward, the winger on the same side moves behind the strikers, and the attacking formation becomes a 3-4-1-2. 

I think you're sort of able to do this already with the roles for example your left back on Complete wing back and right back on Full back defend

One of your CMs on a attacking role and the left mid on inverted winger 

On 14/12/2019 at 21:44, Jackoberto said:

I think you're sort of able to do this already with the roles for example your left back on Complete wing back and right back on Full back defend

One of your CMs on a attacking role and the left mid on inverted winger 

I had tried something like that before I made the post. WB(a) on the left, NFB on the right (told to sit narrower), IW (a) on the left (sit narrower). The key word remains "sort of". Full-backs won't quite come inside to form a back three, and inverted wingers always start out wide and won't come behind the strikers.

Not to mention more daring formations, like a 4-4-2 on defend which turns into a 3-4-2-1 on attack, I believe Bordeaux uses that IRL, or, more famously, Bielsa's 4-2-3-1 which turns into a 3-3-1-3.

Long story short, this would be a great feature on the next edition.

My idea is this-

3 formations per tactical setup

1 attacking (i.e. ball in final 1/3)

1 transition (i.e. in possession/just lost, not countering)

1 defense (i.e. out of possession, ball in team's own half)

Each setup has its own formation (attack 2-1-4-3, transition 4-3-3, defense 5-4-1) and team/player instructions (defense, RB is fullback-d and team is high press, attack RB becomes RM or RW and def. line is high, and transition the press is low and RB runs back). Each type is saved as a "subtactic" and you can save combinations of 3 as a tactic to use. This way, you can send everyone back to defend except your striker, move to a 4-3-3 on transition when you win the ball before (counter)attacking or when the opponent is in possesion but is not attacking, just passing, and when attacking, send your WB's up and tell the midfield to cover instead of attacking. This also allows you to send everyone up to attack when chasing a match while not having half your team standing at the halfway line while 6 opponents attack your 3 at the back which could end the game.

I've been waiting for something like this for a long time, surprised they haven't introduced this in some way.

There certainly needs to be a set of instructions for when your team does not have the ball, 1 for when it's in their half, 1 for in yours, and a set of instructions when your team has the ball in your half and one in their half.

In transitions it is not needed, during transitions is when players are transitioning from one formation and mentality to another.

I'd like to see a hardcore mode where there is less control over the players and the team once the game has started. Everything has to be shouts and hand signals after that, things that can be realistically expressed to players playing  in a loud stadium. Passing a short handwritten note is the most detailed it can get. 

Currently one can change every position/player specific micro-instruction for all 11 players at one time, that's 40-50 instructions made by a manager on the touchline!

Changing between 3 known and practiced and memorized formations is realistic, and adding the additional 'when in possession in our half/in theirs' and a 'when not in possession in their half/ours' would just require a little more work.

I'd also like to see a greater level of control over pressing instructions (pregame and at the half) using the formation map on the tactic screen. 

Edited by tarzanofmars

I'm just an average Joe but tactics already seem pretty convoluted and complicated to me. When I read the title of this post I thought it was about the tactical familiarity. Not trying to hijack the thread, but my concern was that tactical familiarity makes it harder to test different tactics throughout the season.

Edited by xilere

• 9 months later...