Known issues and solutions - FAQ

Anyone experienced the following or overcome it?!

XML parsing error!

not well-formed (invalid token) at line1 of highlights.xml

followed by

not well-formed (invalid token) at line1 of speed.xml

Please can anyone help or someone from SI shed some light on this and provide me with a cure?

Its killing me now not being able to solve this! Cheers!

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fix: Please download the following update from the Microsoft Direct X SDK: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5493F76A-6D37-478D-BA17-28B1CCA4865A&displaylang=en

You should also check that you are running the latest graphics driver, you can do this by visiting the computer manufacturer website, or by visiting the graphics card manufacturing website.

I have tried to download the update as outlined below however it wont install - I receive the warning needs packer to be installed or words to that effect - for the record I'm using geforce4mx agp8x by sparkle for my graphics

Please can u help

Thanks, Carl

Right i desperately need help. I cant find my problem anywhere else on this forum.

Basically, i bought and downloaded through Steam, activated eventually. Got the game working anf enjoyed fine for 2 days. Next day open my laptop, to find that it wouldnt start up correctly, but eventually after scan disks etc got it booted. Now my task bar isnt working and when i load FM09 up, it starts ok, then when i try to load a game it stops about half way through the progress bar and says "Saved game could not be loaded", so i try to start a new game, i get passed the league set up and about half way through the progress a serious error occurs and it says it has stored it in the crashdump. What is the point of a trashdump?? I've uninstalled and reinstalled through Steam and the same thing happens.

Please, please somebody help me...

it's quite slow on the processing front

i have a 2.8G processor and 3 Gb RAM and last year i had the same processor with just 512mb RAM and it felt faster, is it just me or has the processing slowed down, incidentally i have match processing set to fastest (can't interrupt) is this due to the 3d engine, which i don't use, as i'm a results type of guy?

OK This is where I am at

I have my own problem, "FM.exe has encountered a problem"

I come on these Forums and realise the vast array of problems currently on this game, which in turns makes me depressed and think ' will I ever fix my problem'

In my school someone has Illegally downloaded this game FOR FREE via torrent and has full access to patches and is playing FAULT FREE

I have paid 30 QUID for (the most anticipated game of my calendar year) and cant even get to the Main MENU

OOOMMMMMGGGGG HHEEEEEEELLLLPPPP

Hi

I bought game from Memorybits.com and I have a problem during installation - log as follows:

Basically it is not installing properly - so I get no Icon and no way of starting the game. A real nightmare. Hope someone can help. Thanks

Free Memory: 1995 kB

Total Memory: 16320 kB

Install Begin: Wed Nov 19 20:22:48 GMT 2008

Install End: Wed Nov 19 20:23:09 GMT 2008

Installed by InstallAnywhere 8.0.1 Enterprise Build 3081, by Macrovision

INSTALLATION WAS CANCELLED BY USER DURING PRE-INSTALLATION

User Interactions

-----------------

#Choose Delivery Method

#----------------------

DELIVERY_METHOD=Install via Uniloc (using the Internet or Phone Activation)

DELIVERY_METHOD_1=

DELIVERY_METHOD_2=Install via Uniloc (using the Internet or Phone Activation)

DELIVERY_METHOD_BOOLEAN_1=0

DELIVERY_METHOD_BOOLEAN_2=1

Summary

-------

Installation: Cancelledduring pre-install.

3 Successes

0 Warnings

0 NonFatalErrors

0 FatalErrors

Action Notes:

None

Install Log Detail:

Execute Script/Batch file: Steam InternetCheck.exe

Get Registry Entry: Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam

Value Name: InternetConnectivity

Install Action: InstallAnywhere Variable

INSTALLATION WAS CANCELLED BY USER DURING PRE-INSTALLATION

Thanks

Probable solution for the problem of 'fm.exe has encountered a problem and had to close. sorry for the inconvenience'

Hi there,

after days with this problem, and hours of debugging this is what i did:

open the 'DirectX Control Panel'

go to the 'Direct 3D 9' tab

check the following 3 options: 'Software only', 'Enumerate Ramp Rasterizer', Enumerate Reference Rasterizer'

click Apply.

run the FM2009.

i use options '--reset_preferences -windowed -small_screen' for running fm.exe and i have installed the latest Microsoft DirectX SDK (November 2008).

hope it works for you guys as it worked for me.

regards

theo.

where is the DX control panel?

Probable solution for the problem of 'fm.exe has encountered a problem and had to close. sorry for the inconvenience'

Hi there,

check the following 3 options: 'Software only', 'Enumerate Ramp Rasterizer', Enumerate Reference Rasterizer'

click Apply.

run the FM2009.

i use options '--reset_preferences -windowed -small_screen' for running fm.exe and i have installed the latest Microsoft DirectX SDK (November 2008).

regards

theo.

Yyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssss

omg venting your anger in the forum really does work

if you have the "fm.exe has encountered a problem"

all you do is change your screen resolution settings to 800x600

low and behold football manager fires up

doesnt work for me. thanks anyway.

Hi

I installed the game on my Mac and played until i came to the 1st match where it froze. I uninstalled and re-installed and now whenever i try to launch game it says

The application FM09 has quit unexpectedly.

I have downloaded the patch.

At no point when i install am i being asked for a key code.

can you help?

Steam problems - keeps freezing

when loading and playing the game through steam it regularly decides to freeze and will not work again, control, alt and delete has to be done to shut the programme down and then i have load from where it was last previously saved!

I have taken the match day experience, sounds, player photos and club badges all off to try and make the game more basic thinking it might help to run it, this is not the case although it seems to have helped a little.

I bought the game on disk and it took me 12 hours of messing around to install it and still couldnt, now this on steam... What next.

Please help!!!

Hi there, I am having problems with my installation. I have updated my driver, and I have downloaded and installed the november 2008 direct x update. There was no issue in installation, but when i click to play the game it takes a long time, and then after a while it freezes on a black screen with an L and a loading bar in the corner. it does this every time and i have tried installing and uninstalling several times but its always the same

here is my system and driver information if this helps. hopefully you can see a problem as i have been trying to get it working for days with no luck. thanks very much for your help, regards, michael

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 11/19/2008, 17:45:39

Machine name: USER-26223EBBE3

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.080814-1233)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Packard Bell NEC

System Model: 00000000000000000000000

BIOS: Award Medallion BIOS v6.00PG

Processor: AMD Sempron Processor 3000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8GHz

Memory: 448MB RAM

Page File: 526MB used, 528MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

DirectX Files Tab: The file d3d9d.dll is a debug version, which will run slower than the retail version.

Display Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 2: No problems found.

Music Tab: No problems found.

Input Tab: No problems found.

Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------

DirectX Debug Levels

--------------------

Direct3D: 0/4 (n/a)

DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)

DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)

DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)

DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)

DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)

DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP

Manufacturer: VIA/S3G

Chip type: VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP

DAC type: Internal

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3108&SUBSYS_D0071631&REV_01

Display Memory: 64.0 MB

Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Default Monitor

Monitor Max Res:

Driver Name: vtdisp.dll

Driver Version: 6.14.0010.0214 (English)

DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 4/6/2005 17:31:26, 3455104 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp: n/a

VDD: n/a

Mini VDD: vtmini.sys

Mini VDD Date: 4/6/2005 17:31:36, 173696 bytes

Device Identifier: {D7B71FE6-7248-11CF-5775-0DF0A0C2CB35}

Vendor ID: 0x1106

Device ID: 0x3108

SubSys ID: 0xD0071631

Revision ID: 0x0001

Revision ID: 0x0001

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_B ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D

Deinterlace Caps: n/a

Registry: OK

DDraw Status: Enabled

D3D Status: Enabled

AGP Status: Enabled

DDraw Test Result: Not run

D3D7 Test Result: Not run

D3D8 Test Result: Not run

D3D9 Test Result: Not run

-------------

Sound Devices

-------------

Description: Realtek AC97 Audio

Default Sound Playback: Yes

Default Voice Playback: Yes

Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3059&SUBSYS_D0071631&REV_60

Manufacturer ID: 1

Product ID: 100

Type: WDM

Driver Name: ALCXWDM.SYS

Driver Version: 5.10.0000.5780 (English)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

Date and Size: 1/28/2005 16:48:58, 2310272 bytes

Other Files:

Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

HW Accel Level: Full

Cap Flags: 0xF5F

Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 192000

Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 26, 25

Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 26, 25

HW Memory: 0

Voice Management: No

EAX 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes

I3DL2 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes

Sensaura ZoomFX: No

Registry: OK

Sound Test Result: Not run

no1 got any ideas for me?

I am so GLAD!! i never bought this game, it sounds to me like SI/SEGA have screwed up, since FM 2006 there have been problems with "ARRAY ACCESS OUT OF BOUNDS" and I have read that it is still there in 2009.

The whole steam thing has totally backfired, a good idea but come on guys make sure it works, test it properly on machines that aren't used for developing, wasn't there any BETA testing done on this game?

The whole Champ man to FM thing was great, I went with FM and loved the game, FM 2008 was great until it stopped working with crappy errors that made no sense about loading fixtures etc.

TIP: GET BETTER PROGRAMMERS!!!!!! I know the SI team read these boards and stuff (Marc Duffy) please Marc, dont destroy your game, its a great game, get some propper developers in and fix the bugs!! DONT LETTHE BUGS REMAIN FOR THE NEXT 3 or 4 RELEASES OF THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your losing customers!

Its not fair to sell someone something that doesn't work properly, even if you didn't know it wasn't going to work, the idea is you should know and you should ensure you have the propper infrastructure in place to handle the projected amount of customers!

Its unfortunate about the DDoS attacks but come on, ARRAY ACCESS OUT OF F*****N BOUNDS thats old school error, FIX IT!!!

Wonder if Eidos still make champ man, might be worth checking that out, or LMA manager that was always a good game, bet their games work

hey ive had problems getting the game running and like ive already said i think its very poor show by all involved and someones head needs to role, but please DO NOT, EVER EVER mention champ manager or LMA as sufficient substitutes for FM, now i have the game running and ive installed the patch and its really good IMO, nothing comes close. But saying that, i am really angry with the way FM is released - in effect incomplete and unfinished . . needing patches and so on . . . and lets face it these programmers are probably all working to deadlines set by bloodsucking profiteers who dont give a turd about you and me, they care about money period, and now they assume there loosing x amount of money through pirates so come up with the activation idea and presumably force it through even though the programmers or whoever it concerns probably knew in advance this wasnt going to be a smooth launch.

hey i might be deemed naive here but why dont they concentrate on finishing a game fully - without bugs and fully tested in all areas and forget about profit and figures for once, so what if we go a year without a new FM, they could improve it dramaticaly in that time, while releasing update patches for the latest transfers and stuff for the current game.

ok maybe thats a bit extreme

but this has been a disaster and has put lots of people off the game for good and made the whole brand look like a bunch of amatures

i dont claim to know what goes on behind the scenes, all of the above is speculation but id bet my arse all these problems are down to making more money and that really really makes me upset

MPearson, you are showing 448MB RAM, which is likely your issue, the min requirements is 512. As your graphics are shared 64MB is taken from your system RAM to compensate. Dont worry tho, replacement RAM is dirt cheap and easy to install! This will likely solve your issue, if not then a better graphics card will (the one u list is pretty poor)

If you want to hold off til tomorrow send me a PM, and i will respond when i have tested tomorrow - I have a similar machine, XP2800 Athlon, 512MB RAM with 64MB shared and it wont run for me either, however am upgrading laptop tomorrow to 1024MB for the princely sum of £15 lol!

hi guys- i have a problem with my game. i cant play any games, everytime i go to play match the game crashes. i have downloaded the patch and everything is installed correctly. has anyone got any idea when another patch will be released so that i can actually play the game. not saying that in a cheeky manner just asking if anybody knows , cheers guys:thup:

Can you read the instructions here and downloaded the latest script made available (v7):

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=65715

Hi Neil,

I have just tried this. However, I can't open the runme.exe file, it then tells me to download the v2.0 .net framework. When I try to install this I get an error, is there anyway you can help with this?

Many Thanks

MPearson, you are showing 448MB RAM, which is likely your issue, the min requirements is 512. As your graphics are shared 64MB is taken from your system RAM to compensate. Dont worry tho, replacement RAM is dirt cheap and easy to install! This will likely solve your issue, if not then a better graphics card will (the one u list is pretty poor)

If you want to hold off til tomorrow send me a PM, and i will respond when i have tested tomorrow - I have a similar machine, XP2800 Athlon, 512MB RAM with 64MB shared and it wont run for me either, however am upgrading laptop tomorrow to 1024MB for the princely sum of £15 lol!

thanks, its actually working for me now!! Neil Dejyothin sent me a file and it has solved it!

it is running really slow, but its running which will do for me for now!!!!!!!!!!!!! its took days to get this far

I'm a new poster and after successfully loading, activating FM09, keep clicking on the icon to be greeted with...FM.exe experienced an error and needs to close, before being asked whether I want to send a report to Microsoft!! I am useless with computers and basically just wanted to get up and running with this game. I have installed Microsoft Dot.Net Framework as I was advised this would cure the prob, but it still isn't working, I'm getting more and more frustrated and contemplating returning the game and reverting to FM 08 which I had no probs with. Massive plea for assistance in very basic terms.. Cheers

Exactly the same problem here, i have tried everything that has been suggested to no avail. Really frustrated, hoping for a solution soon

Sorry for reposting, but if anyone knows what to do with the following problems I'd appreciate it if they could help out!

from the install.log ...

Install Directory: C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\data\

Additional Notes: FATAL ERROR - Error Installing Folder Contents: java.util.zip.ZipException: invalid stored block lengths

.....and.....

Install File: C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\data\movies\license.ogv

Additional Notes: ERROR - ZeroGpl: invalid stored block lengths

grrr

Brought the game and everything went fine, loaded, activated, played a couple of matches and everything fine!

Noticed a new patch and installed this through BitTorrent. Downloaded and everything fine. Tweaked the game editor (as i did originally) and again everything loads fine. Problem is after a while everything freezes! No reason given, no error messages. Left it for a while and nothing happens. No set time as to when this happens. Once when submitting a team, once when just looking at club info so very random!

Any ideas what the problem is and what i can do to fix it?

Note, i have a laptop brought earlier this year on vista so well within spec!!

Cheers,

Rob

Put it in windowed mode, this stops this problem. Main page (before you load or start new game) then click preferences, then windowed mode. This is the temp answer until the fix it. although i dont actually mind windowed mode.

cheers mate, i'll give it a try and see how it goes!!

Mine plays but keeps freezing and saying 'football manager not responding' so i leave it a while and sometimes it starts working again and sometimes I have to go into task manager and come out of the game.

Why?

thanks

Still not had a response to this and its still doing it. Help :(

i also have the problem stated above, FM cannot work well in Vista

everytime when i go into the "submit team selection" or "go to match" sceen, the computer freeze and find that FM does not reponse

my brother play FM on another computer with window XP............. and he has no such problem

what can i do now??? i have bought FM on the release day but cannot play a match, what the hell

Put it in windowed mode, this stops this problem. Main page (before you load or start new game) then click preferences, then windowed mode. This is the temp answer until the fix it. although i dont actually mind windowed mode.

hi guys i have problem with Cannot run game: failed to set up graphics system error!

i install Microsoft DirectX SDK but still i have the same problem i also try to update my graphic card but still no luck:(

i have ati radeon 9250 is there any othere suggestion to resolve this problem?

PLEASE HELP!!:(:(:(

Hello all.

I'm running it on a laptop, with a graphics card that's below the requirement (it's an ATI Mobility Radeon X300).

Anyway, I figured I wouldn't be able to run an all-singing, all dancing version with 3D etc. But I was hoping the game would be playable.

However, as soon as I start playing, the screen flickers incessantly. Will this simply be because the graphics card isn't up to the job? (It's a shame if that's the case, as obviously I can't upgrade my graphics card?)

Thanks in advance.

(PS - I've tried windowed mode; it makes no difference)

This is my 6th post now on this subject... I just want some help so i can get up and running...

My version of the game crashes after the tactic screen. I don't know why and just want to stop it. I bought the game from GAME and use steam to launch it.

I've been recommended to use windowed mode till the actual error is sorted but its greyed out... I'd like to know how to be able to windowed mode or the game in the normal way

Bless ya, I have read this whole bloody thread (thousands of posts) and you along many have been ignored.

Try this babe:

1. Right click on the FM09 icon on your desktop & click properties.

2. In the target field, add "-windowed -small_screen" at the end of the target, with a space between the target & "-windowed -small_screen" & obviously no quotation marks.

3. Click ok & you should be able to play in windowed mode next time you run FM09

Danielle

can you please tell me how to do that

thanks

Go onto the main screen (where it gives you the options of new game, load game etcc...) click on preferences (bottom right of main screen) and then near the top it says display and there is a drop down menu, click on that and click on windowed mode. :)

This is my 6th post now on this subject... I just want some help so i can get up and running...

My version of the game crashes after the tactic screen. I don't know why and just want to stop it. I bought the game from GAME and use steam to launch it.

I've been recommended to use windowed mode till the actual error is sorted but its greyed out... I'd like to know how to be able to windowed mode or the game in the normal way

I have sent you a private message but see this thread. Bless ya fellow Blade fan, I hope I have helped :)

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=64936

Danielle

Have you installed the 9.1.0 patch?

You may also want to try running in Windowed mode to see if that helps.

I try to download the patch from sigames, but there was no mirror for me to download. It seems like a dead link to me. Is there still anyway i can get the patch?

Right, Can you please please please stop answering the same questions over and over again.

and have a go with mine, which ive asked several times, and have never seen it answered.

if people cant be bothered to read the thread for answers, then they dont deserve to play.

Right, i have downloaded the game from steam, i have patched it, i have downloaded the Framework, and i have also got The service pack for it, i have also downloaded the 500mb direct x SDK, My Graphics card has the latest drivers - The Demo worked on this computer also.

Right and now my problem.

When I launch the Program, With or without steam., it says my trail period has expired and asks me for my Product Key. so i put it in, Next it acticated successfully, and thanks me. The Installation of Football Manager 2009 certificate has been activated under product key: xxx.

so i press ok, Then - Nothing! nothing at all, it doesnt launch.

So when i go back to starting the program, it does it all again, Product key, Thank you, nothing. Product key, Thank you, nothing, Product key, Thank you, nothing, Product key, Thank you, nothing.

HELP PLEASE!

Thank you

I am having the same problem, this was originally posted 2029 and has still not been answered. I appreciate you are doing your best to solve these problems but you clearly need more people to help with so many issues. The game has been out for almost a week now and there are still alot of unsatifised customers, who are not only not been helped but are simply been ignored. We have paid alot of money for this product and deserve better.

solution solution solution solution solution solution

ok for all people experiencing the "fm.exe has encountered a problem"

when you installed the directx download as provided by si, to fix the graphic problem, another problem was invented as a result, that comes into play at next start up.

In the download, a file d3d9d.dll was created this can be seen if you type in (dxdiag in run - start panel) you will notice this and it is actually interfering with the running of the game (will be a hazard sign next to the file) you will also see it is a final debug file not a final retail, conflicting with the game graphics thus preventing any start-up of footy manager

maybe si can elaborate on my findings and possibly provide information for not just me but most people on where we can find a fix and final retail version of d3d9d.dll

someone please elaborate on this, this man has found a possible solution to a problem a lot of us are having, please please tell us if this can be repaired

Hi there,

click Apply.

run the FM2009.

regards

theo.

How do you open the Direct X control panel?

Guest Let\'s go West Ham!

The game won't let me go on holiday (sorry if this has been covered before but I did a quick search and couldn't find anything). When I select "Manager>Options>Go On Holiday" it just takes me to the "Game Status" screen.

Archived