pass in to space

just a general query really. 

i am using a 442 formation that seems to be working well for my man united side. i have been keeping team instructions to minimum.

as you can see in the screen shot that i have the pass into space option selected which has been great for my AF to score. ( 22 goals in 27 appearances )

my DLF had 5 in 18. i was happy with this as i wanted my AF to be the main scorer. Any way i removed the pass into space option and my DLF scored 4 goals in 1 game and 2 in the following so thats has 6 goals in 2 games. granted against inferior opposition but i was just wondering if removing pass into space caused that upsurge in goals or is it just coincidental?

i must add that my AF also scored 3 goals in those 2 games

united formation.png

Could have something to do with it, in that if your DLF lacks pace he cannot contest balls into space and he'd be better off receiving the ball at his feet.

But I still think it's mostly due to randomness, I doubt that instruction has that big of an effect on the performance of any one player.

From memory, Pass Into Space is a universal setting for the whole team to pass more risky. I guess the easiest answer would be if your AF is scoring more with it is because more passes are being played in behind the defence. Without it you're seeing more build up play that benefits the DLF.

8 minutes ago, SD said:

Could have something to do with it, in that if your DLF lacks pace he cannot contest balls into space and he'd be better off receiving the ball at his feet.

But I still think it's mostly due to randomness, I doubt that instruction has that big of an effect on the performance of any one player.

It didn't just impact that one player though? It would have impacted the entire team. It will have impacted everyone's performance in that game not just the DLF who scored a lot. The other players were probably more accurate with their passing, players overall needed to run about to get onto the end of the balls etc. You don't really use roles in that tactic that have lots of movement past the strikers or include much running beyond them other than the odd one. So it likely is that your side isn't suited to balls not played at their feet.

9 minutes ago, Cleon said:

It didn't just impact that one player though? It would have impacted the entire team. It will have impacted everyone's performance in that game not just the DLF who scored a lot. The other players were probably more accurate with their passing, players overall needed to run about to get onto the end of the balls etc. You don't really use roles in that tactic that have lots of movement past the strikers or include much running beyond them other than the odd one. So it likely is that your side isn't suited to balls not played at their feet.

That's a fair point, it's definitely affecting the whole team, what I was questioning is to what degree can an improvement of that magnitude can be put down to the TI's synergy with the tactic or that role in particular and to what degree on other factors - squad quality, form, opposition tactics, variance.

My guess is that opposition tactics also played a big part, the OP mentions both were inferior teams so there's a good chance both were set up defensively, sat deep and pressed little so there was little space available to exploit.

To me instructions like Pass Into Space or Run At Defence/Dribble Less are rather situational and not core elements of a tactic.

Cheers for the replies. I hadn't taken in how it would have effected the whole team. I shall keep that instruction off for the time being and watch more of the build up instead of focusing on the end product. 

Also hadn't realised the other roles weren't advancing as far forward as I initially thought.  

13 minutes ago, the SLC said:

Cheers for the replies. I hadn't taken in how it would have effected the whole team. I shall keep that instruction off for the time being and watch more of the build up instead of focusing on the end product. 

Also hadn't realised the other roles weren't advancing as far forward as I initially thought.  

If you have the pace, and Man Utd does, the TI can certainly be useful against teams who play a high d-line or push up their fullbacks. I'd say your left IW and AF are in a good position to exploit those spaces.

6 minutes ago, SD said:

If you have the pace, and Man Utd does, the TI can certainly be useful against teams who play a high d-line or push up their fullbacks. I'd say your left IW and AF are in a good position to exploit those spaces.

My AF and IW are my main goal scorers. 

I thought the DLF would create space for the IW. I have thought about moving him to a IF but unsure about it in regards to defending. 

3 minutes ago, the SLC said:

My AF and IW are my main goal scorers. 

I thought the DLF would create space for the IW. I have thought about moving him to a IF but unsure about it in regards to defending. 

The DLF dropping deep will generally create space for himself between the lines, but whereas in real life the opposition defender will sometimes choose shadow the DLF to deny him that space, that pretty much never happens in FM. That's not to say a DLF is ineffective, it's one of my favorite roles and he still pulls defenders out of position to an extent when they try to close him down after he has already received the ball.

Archived