Penetration in the final third

I'am in my second season with the fcb and have a bit of trouble scoring goals. As soon as I'm standing in front of the 16, only long shots or passes to the outside and flanks into the overcrowded 16 comes. There is no really penetration into the box.
Due to the demands of the board, I play a ball possession-oriented football. For this I have chosen an adapted Gegenpressing tactic so that I am not completely predictable for my opponent.

This is my basic set-up. I rarely change roles and duties of my players. I do not use PI's

c97c25c3c00feb61c4928867fae8e374.png

The main problem is that I cannot penetrate the opponent's defence in the final third.

d5c32caeb9ebc37fe61710032ae67bea.png

My best scorer is hazard as IF (S). 

Observed problems:
- As mentioned in the title, I rarely create extremely clear goal chances in the half of the oppostion. Most goals are scored from standard situations or long shots or through flanks in the middle. 
- I don't know if it's the role distribution for the 4 offensive players.
- My striker is not really involved in the game, which is not required because of his role, but so he hasn't many chances. Werner is a very fast player, but so far I don't have a plan how to use him in the final third.

Horrible shots on target ratio:

684616ca9edfaa5d343dc4bcbe86eab6.png

Also created chances:

0f98bf0f129259ba473282a12e34fadd.png

Since I actually have very fast and dynamic players in the offensive area, I would also like to get away from ball possession football. Do you have any ideas what playing style I could play to take advantage of the explosive power of my players? 

Here are the player traits from my front 4:

ee10b5225b7dde25a0b26a9b31ca6014.png

fd2a971469a9a6e4e171e70b1b267889.png

7b2dde6ae5f978e159dcbf7ba0c13a80.png

63f2821717dcead5a44e16e54d61a7ae.png

Thx for your advices and sorry for my written english.

I'm in no way a tactical genius, in fact I struggle myself quite a bit but I've seen quite a lot 4231's come through here over the years asking for advice.

I find the bottom of your midfield static. You have 2 holding midfielders in there. You could try and change it to CMd --- BBM/CMs (get further forward) or you could even try it with a DLPd --- BBM/CMs (get further forward)
Also, Hazard is terrifying with the ball at his feet. I'd give him a go as Trequartista in that spot and see how it all links up.

In terms of TI's: most of them seem decent. You got to remember you're the biggest team in Germany and everyone will sit back and soak up the pressure. I'd drop the defensive line to just higher (because they will go direct from the back and hope you to catch out your defensive line) and drop the Line of Engagement down to higher or even standard.

This year seems to be the year of the wide playmaker. I have had plenty of succes in a 4411 formation, but maybe it could work in a 4231. I think you have the right player for it to work.

Hazard could be an excellent Adv. playmaker on the left, but so could Isco. Maybe switch the two around and give Hazard a more attacking duty as an AMC. He should be more of a goal threat from there I think. Your right midfielder should be more of a Box-to-box type of player. Goretzka has been doing very well in that role for me. Coman could be an inside forward. He’s two-footed, right? 

4 hours ago, Rasmus said:

This year seems to be the year of the wide playmaker. I have had plenty of succes in a 4411 formation, but maybe it could work in a 4231. I think you have the right player for it to work

There is no position for WP in 4231. Because WP operates in the wide midfield (MR/ML) positions.

Don't you have a better striker than Werner and a better wide forward than Coman in a top team like Bayern?

Btw, when I see a combo of defensive instructions that involves much higher DL and much higher LOE coupled with extremely urgent pressing - plus counter-press - I immediately get a headache :stop:

52 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Btw, when I see a combo of defensive instructions that involves much higher DL and much higher LOE coupled with extremely urgent pressing - plus counter-press - I immediately get a headache :stop:

Why? It's the defensive settings which exploits this years ME the most in a positive way.

@vandamme22 As you said already you need more penetration in the final third which includes runs and passes mostly. I would suggest you Attacking mentality to create more offensive movement. keep the passing at slightly more direct (standard i guess) and lower the tempo from high to standard. Use play out of defense so you got a slow build up and more direct play in the final third. If you feel your build up needs more patience, you can add PIs to defenders and one or both CM's to pass it shorter. Also remove narrow play.

gl bra

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

There is no position for WP in 4231. Because WP operates in the wide midfield (MR/ML) positions.

I know that, and I also that Hazard/Isco could be good options as Adv. Playmakers on the left. 😉

Archived