Midfielders playing too close

I play with a BWM set to defensive playing just in front of the CB, and then a CM/B2B sitting just in front of him (one is on the left of centre, one is on the right of centre).  This one set to support

However when it comes to attacking and defence both players stand on top of each other despite the line difference in positioning, and the dfferent mentalities.  

Any idea how to split the a bit wider?

Two of the three roles you have are roles which need to roam in order to do the job you are asking.

In order to combat & to get more what you are after you could go down the lines of Anchor Man in the DM slot in front of the CB's. Will just sit there and be very disciplined and tackle all day long whilst playing short simple passes to more creative players ahead of you.

The B2B role is fine if that is what you want but I would suggest pairing him with some sort of playmaker role just to give you that bit of creativity. Maybe a DLP or AP on support.

6 hours ago, sunchymeno9 said:

I play with a BWM set to defensive playing just in front of the CB, and then a CM/B2B sitting just in front of him (one is on the left of centre, one is on the right of centre).  This one set to support

However when it comes to attacking and defence both players stand on top of each other despite the line difference in positioning, and the dfferent mentalities.  

Any idea how to split the a bit wider?

Where the ball is will affect the positioning so a screenshot of where they are and where you'd like them to be would be helpful.

Its likely the roles and/or duties your using plus the players mental attributes / traits.  Both CM-Su + BBM-Su are expected to stay central and link with the BBM-Su dropping more and pushing up more, the fact you have a DMC won't really chance this, if you want them to be higher and/or wider then roles, duties or PIs should be changed.

There is known and acknowledged bugs on this issue (Although I'm not a fan of the suggestion OP is responsible regardless, surely he can expect some reasonable distance regardless of roles/duties and whether or not it's been acknowledged as an issue).

Anyway it was mentioned in the Beta changelog, at least when the ball is in the vicinity of the players in question (that's my reading of the below). 

On 14/02/2019 at 17:38, Neil Brock said:

- Fixed instances of central midfielders bunching close to ball 

Archived