Dominate % at Old Trafford

Hi, not sure if this is a bug but I am playing in my second game as Southampton manager and i am winning at Old Trafford..yep I know not an impossibility but im dominating possession aswell...surely it would be more of a smash and grab job rather than dominating like this...if not a bug i think its abit unrealistic..

20190206_184256.jpg

It is not how much ball you have, it is what you do with it. I am fairly certain their possession is so low because of the number of passes you are making. 971 pass attempts (F12 takes a screenshot, by the way) is a hell of a lot. From this, I can deduce that you were using instructions to keep the ball heavily. However, you never really did anything with the ball you had (hence 4 shots, 2 long shots). So, sterile possession, likely quite far from their goal. Man Utd attacked and scored when they had the ball, they used it very well.

971 pass attempts, by the way, is an insanely high number. The possession tactic I use rarely tops 600, still getting 60+% possession most of the time. This, to me, strongly suggests you do not have a very balanced system. Which is not to say it is bad, or ineffective, just that you could definitely use the ball a lot more efficiently.

I was really only a bit shocked because you said you were Winning at first...in my experience and it might be totally my tactics i mostly dominate the game , 40 -4 shots or something but i know i often draw or loose still, which isnt out of the possibily because my guys just Play all out Football Always Forward no pauses etc. . FM tneds to belike that a bit also i guess. So all in all you lost after all and then it makes sense again. :-) I do see that great Team sometimes even draw even on shots, but then i loose 6-1 or something and am totally outplayed.

Reading, who I support, quite recently went to Old Trafford and had 60% of possession - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46706809

Albeit not a full strength Man Utd side, but you wouldn't expect a side fighting Championship relegation to go to Man Utd and have that much of the ball. It does happen occasionally in real life, it just depends on the tactics that both teams employ.

Interestingly, the time before that we had 55% of the ball - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38474766

18 hours ago, aprylsdad1976 said:

I get your reasoning but a team like Southampton (lifelong fan) wouldnt dominate at Old Trafford v a team with players like pogba etc. but maybe im imagining to my real life and at the end of the day FM is a simulator

I think if you set up how Southampton would normally set up at OT in real life, you would not achieve such a large amount of possession. This is why FM is good, you can set up however you want and achieve things that you cannot in real life.

Also, I wouldn't say dominate is what you did. 12 shots to 4 and a 4-2 scoreline tells me Man Utd were the better side. Possession is overrated :D

11 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

I think if you set up how Southampton would normally set up at OT in real life, you would not achieve such a large amount of possession. This is why FM is good, you can set up however you want and achieve things that you cannot in real life.

Also, I wouldn't say dominate is what you did. 12 shots to 4 and a 4-2 scoreline tells me Man Utd were the better side. Possession is overrated :D

I'd love it if Saints were this goid at keeping possession lol

Archived