has anyone tried a 2-3-5?

I have a while back when trying different systems to maximise possession. It was in the German league also... had a lot of fun and stress with it as well!

It's fantastic at home. I was Bayern in that save...it smashed the Bundesliga most goals in a season record. Won all the home games. It's a tactic great to open up teams that park the bus. I know Pep has used the system a number of times so it's why I tried giving it a go...but away from home you can imagine you would leak goals like a sieve. 

Just now, westy8chimp said:

Won the league and CL with sort of a 235...what positions were you using? 

tactic.thumb.PNG.2f8b1c7d535d5daca889859dcd3ad0a9.PNG.7f63570c2b8412426f3ebc2e11e27beb.PNG

2 Dms

3cms

5 attackers (2 wingers, 2 dlfs and one af)

the team instructions were a high defensive line, much more direct passing (i had about 3? maybe 5 men in the box so it seemed logical), close down less, highly structured a higher tempo float crosses and play the ball to wide areas or pump the ball into box

i want to recreate a 2-3-5 of olden times so that's why i chose the highly structured shape

16 minutes ago, BJT said:

I have a while back when trying different systems to maximise possession. It was in the German league also... had a lot of fun and stress with it as well!

It's fantastic at home. I was Bayern in that save...it smashed the Bundesliga most goals in a season record. Won all the home games. It's a tactic great to open up teams that park the bus. I know Pep has used the system a number of times so it's why I tried giving it a go...but away from home you can imagine you would leak goals like a sieve. 

yeah... the amazing thing was leipzig are a much stronger team on paper yet by chances on goal we were equal, the extra man ended up paying off as they hit on the break i suppose

50 minutes ago, mourinho-herrera-defense said:

2 Dms

3cms

5 attackers (2 wingers, 2 dlfs and one af)

the team instructions were a high defensive line, much more direct passing (i had about 3? maybe 5 men in the box so it seemed logical), close down less, highly structured a higher tempo float crosses and play the ball to wide areas or pump the ball into box

i want to recreate a 2-3-5 of olden times so that's why i chose the highly structured shape

Holy sh*t the neutrals must be loving watch your team plays :D

What were the roles that you assigned for your DMs and CMs by the way?

39 minutes ago, bangkonggedek said:

Holy sh*t the neutrals must be loving watch your team plays :D

What were the roles that you assigned for your DMs and CMs by the way?

just the default ones really, i wasnt sure how i exactly wanted them to play and i thought i'd get whacked anyways so whats the point so i didnt change the roles

Think I'm going to give this system another crack :) 

My idea last time was more pressing in the top third of the pitch when choosing player roles in trying to get control. This time around I'm going to let the football do the work which is generally the style I'm more comfortable with.

Hopefully I can get it working better away from home by playing more free flowing football and causing teams more problems when in possession.

39 minutes ago, BJT said:

Lol, yeah I noticed that...but I did presume he meant CBs. Or just maybe 2DMs instead of CBs was exactly what I was missing in implementing my pressing approach! :)

In either case, it looks very adventurous. I am curious as to how he set up roles and duties :)

Really glad I've taken a look at this system again...it's worked really well this time around with my changes and much better away from home.
To top it off, we got a 26 consecutive pass goal. Unfortunately it surpassed the 60 second limit to get on clip, but I got most of it to so you can see it in action. 

Below are some screenies of the shape, roles and season statistics:

2135989726_Bayern_Overview.thumb.png.4f5606f99fb2af6bba80f767b29f578f.png

1635549386_GermanFirstDivision_OverviewStages.thumb.png.1925453dd382c9462c077b474b6a30f7.png

629037580_GermanFirstDivision_StatsTeamOverview.thumb.png.d1a26fb380e27d1bd603419c83c7b4e9.png

German First Division_ Stats Player Overview.png

We just about hit the 100 goals mark and also had the best defence in the league which surprised me - although we didn't get the most clean sheets.

We won all 17 home games. We also broke the most points in a season Bundesliga record which was previously 91 points. Averaged over 600 passes a game. Lewandowski shined scoring 63 goals in all competitions.

Our defeat was away to Leverkusen...definitely our worst league performance, only game they had more shots on goal than us. Can't play well every game though I guess. A 5-0 home win vs Dortmund though in our last league home game was quite satisfying which squeezed us in the 100 goal mark!

Archived