New nationality

4 小时前, FrazT说:

Players can gain citizenship if they want by staying in another country for the required number of days, but do not change or add nationality by doing this.  I don't think that this applies to managers.

Isn't gaining citizenship the same as adding new nationality? :onmehead:

In FM terms think of citizenship as the right to not count towards foreigner limits in leagues but nationality the right to represent that country in internationals.

You see it a lot with SA players in Spain as they get Spanish citizenship after 2years but need to wait another 3 years before they can represent Spain internationally.

44 分钟前, grahamf说:

In FM terms think of citizenship as the right to not count towards foreigner limits in leagues but nationality the right to represent that country in internationals.

You see it a lot with SA players in Spain as they get Spanish citizenship after 2years but need to wait another 3 years before they can represent Spain internationally.

This is accurate.

I did have a look after posting above and it is not fully clear where the division between nationality and citizenship starts and finishes.  There is also, I suspect a specific way that football rules interpret these differences and as such, are represented in the game

14 hours ago, FrazT said:

I did have a look after posting above and it is not fully clear where the division between nationality and citizenship starts and finishes.  There is also, I suspect a specific way that football rules interpret these differences and as such, are represented in the game

First thing first, I think the way it is represented in the game is simply along the FIFA regulation that a player must reside at least 5 years before having the right to represent said country (or the whole time range to gain the said country's nationality is this is longer). So a SA national gains Spain nationality after 2 years according to Spanish laws, but has to wait for 3 more years to represent Spain. Same player if were to reside in Germany must wait for 8 years in order to gain German status and as it is past the FIFA-set period, he is eligible for Germany straightaway. (at least in-game)

Non-football now:

Nationality and citizenship are a very closely related yet complicated existence. In simple wording nationality is your passport - you are part of the country and are "protected" by the country. Citizenship is whether you are allowed to work/vote/receive welfare etc. Different country may have different interpretations but generally this is the idea. An example is the various British national status - British nationals, British subjects, British overseas citizen, British nationals (overseas), etc (the latter two are DIFFERENT FFS). A few friends are from Hong Kong and some of them hold the British nationals (overseas) passport, but they are not considered citizens in UK and require visas and work permits to stay. Yet if they travel with their passports and need assistance, they can go straight to British embassies (in theory) for help. After Hong Kong's return to China, some of them also hold a "Hong Kong, China" passport, and in theory are Chinese nationals. They can also go to Chinese embassy if needed. But they are not citizens of China. As I say, it is very complicated:rolleyes:

Archived