[FM18] - Rovers Return?

stevemc

3 hours ago, stevemc said:

Thoughts on this development? :D

Go for it. I had a great save with Monaco in FM17 - won everything domestically (even beating PSG three times). No idea what the squad would be like three or four years down the line, but they always seem to have a good supply of talented youngsters, as well as the budget to fill any gaps. Always fun to experience football in a different country, too.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brighton & Hove Albion: 2020/21 - End of Season

Here is a review of our 20/21 season - we almost certainly overachieved :D

28k3jg0.png

2afdcmo.png

My project of investing in youth players started paying off too as the U23's dominated:

n4dq4x.png

And my personal review:

dqhv6q.png

Player of the season was Lincoln, he swept the board:

33crar7.png

i1jplt.png

rbz0iv.png

And City finally lost patience with Pep :D

301ijrs.png

Monaco: 2021/22 - Pre-season

So I decided to accept the Monaco job. They had to part with £4.7m to sign me.

They are in a bit of a mess, most their top players are gone, Thomas Lemar, Tielemans and Fabinho remain, whom I plan to re-structure the team around, but Manchester City are heavily in for Lemar, already rejected a bid of £90m and the player is unhappy, so we shall see how that pans out. Up front, I have inherited a very old Edison Cavani :D They do have a couple of good wonderkids though.

Despite a £80m+ transfer budget, their finances are not great, they lose alot of money and they've got some average players on hefty wages so I'll be looking to trim the squad down, cut the wage bill and replace with younger, less-highly-paid players who have more potential.

The backroom staff needs a complete restructure, again, with average staff on top wages. I'll be returning to Brighton to take some staff. :D

I've set myself 4 must have transfer targets, these we're players I was lining up for Brighton, but I will now try to sign for Monaco - Gabriel Barbosa (available free transfer), Rodrygo (striker from Sao Paulo), T. Martinez (South American centre back), Jesús Vallejo (transfer listed at just £7m!) - if I land these, it will give me a solid foundation for the squad I'm going to build. I'm looking to build a young, exciting, attacking team.

I also need to address the goalkeeper situation as I only have L. Karius.

I've never managed in France before so this should be interesting...

Monaco: 2021/22 - Pre-season

r7vgjs.png

I'm bang in the middle of pre-season now, most my transfer business is done, bar the odd in or out, squad has been trimmed, plenty of deadwood, high earners and unhappy players are gone. So far I've managed to hold on to Fabinho and Lemar too. I missed out on Ander Herrera too, who joined Juventus on a Bosman free transfer.

The finances need some work, but I'll be working on that;

314zdac.png

Within the Monaco squad, I inherited Anthony Knockaert, who I instantly sold off much to his unhappiness. But I sold him to Monaco when I first joined Brighton because the little rat was "unhappy about being relegated to the Championship" and wouldn't stay to help me - so I had great pleasure in moving him on from Monaco when he wanted to stay :lol:

14avc68.png

We need to get off to a good start this season, we start away at St Etienne, but we host PSG just 4 games in, so we could do with an early three points against them, who have sold Draxler to Manchester United, but taken Anthony Martial in part exchange.

The season is closing in...

1 hour ago, stevemc said:

Does anyone know how many years a player needs to play in France for to not count towards the 4 foreign player rule in Ligue Un?

Don't know about FM, but in the real world you can apply for French citizenship after five years, I believe. There are lots of exceptions - through studying, marrying or military service - but five years should do it.

Monaco: 2021/22 - Start of Season

Pre-season all done now, tactics bedding in well, majority of transfers all wrapped up, new scouting team in place, re-vamp of the backroom staff too, it's been a busy summer :D

Staff revamp has seen us improve significantly:

2ah8x01.png

Although you can't see them all, here are all the ins and outs of the window - spent £213m, recouped £217m, reduced the wages too which helped out finances, and we still have £43m left in the kitty:

x0uzpk.png

98vqpv.png

I'm still toying with the idea of selling Edison Cavani and Radja Nainggolan due to their age and wages, but we shall see.

Here's a look at the squad dynamics:

oiazya.png

My nearest rivals, PSG have also had a good window:

2ng7ygx.png

I'll post a full player update shortly...

Monaco: 2021/22 - Squad

GOALKEEPERS:

Out went 36-year-old, high earner Danijel Subasic and ex-Liverpool Loris Karius and in came Kepa Arrizabalaga as my number one, arriving from Inter Milan for £44m with Ionut Radu as back up. I promoted highly-rated Alexis Kamga from my under 19's as third choice.

I had a deal agreed at £44m for Gianluigi Donnarumma but his wage and bonus demands were insane, well out of my range.

Kepa Arrizabalaga

noug5v.png

Ionut Radu

ht7f2f.png

Alexis Kamga

x1mzq9.png

DEFENDERS:

I play three at the back, so I kept Fabinho and César Montes but moved on everyone else, including Jemerson and Glik. In came Tomás MartínezJesús Vallejo and Joe Gomez. So I now have a solid set of 4 young, hungry centre backs plus Fabinho to add experience, quality and leadership.

Fabinho

20z5g7r.png

César Montes

2j1x5dz.png

Tomás Martínez

dyoyaf.png

Jesús Vallejo

2zhfc5g.png

Joe Gomez

epriaa.png

WINGBACKS:

I didn't change the first choice, I decided to keep hold of Djibril Sidibé and Raphaël Guerreiro and just added some cover in the shape of Borja San Emeterio from Brighton, and Greek talent Apostolos Tsoumagas

Djibril Sidibé

2liwpzo.png

Raphaël Guerreiro

16b0t4z.png

Borja San Emeterio

4ik7c9.png

Apostolos Tsoumagas

vsl2qa.png

I really like the look of Tsoumagas he'll be someone I'll look to develop.

MIDFIELDERS:

Decided to keep Youri Tielemans and Radja Nainggolan whilst promoting 18-year-old Fabrice Vincent from the under 19's. Also picked up Granit Xhaka (after missing out on Ander Herrera) on a free and Franck Kessié for £37m.

Youri Tielemans

289j6g1.png

Radja Nainggolan

24onc3l.png

Fabrice Vincent

142atu1.png

Granit Xhaka

xbbqde.png

Franck Kessié

6yio9l.png

Midfield is the area I think will need elite investment over the next 2-3 seasons.

Some good business there, I think. And Martinez looks like a player! But I'm not sure about Fabinho as a CB; he's one of the best DM/CMs I've ever managed and I'd be looking to play to his strengths. Of course, it's your call... :)

STRIKERS:

Manchester City stayed away from Lemar and went for Keita Baldé. As I play three up front I wanted to invest and bring in reinforcements in this area. I picked up Gabriel Barbosa on a free, Rodrygo for his £11.25m release clause, Murat Kaplan for £13m, added to Pietro Pellegri and Thomas Lemar.

In a last minute moment of madness, I somehow managed to sign Mauro Icardi whilst shipping out 34-year-old Edison Cavani to Newcastle United :D Icardi should provide us with the magic and experience we need.

Gabriel Barbosa

14v5kl3.png

Rodrygo

nozl2c.png

Murat Kaplan

23t5cw8.png

Pietro Pellegri

2dgq00g.png

Thomas Lemar

2hgyb5t.png

Mauro Icardi

309sbyp.png

I'm absolutely buzzing over signing Mauro Icardi - we needed an elite player and we've got one who is in the peak of his career too. Perfect replacement for the ageing Edison Cavani.

4 minutes ago, warlock said:

Some good business there, I think. And Martinez looks like a player! But I'm not sure about Fabinho as a CB; he's one of the best DM/CMs I've ever managed and I'd be looking to play to his strengths. Of course, it's your call... :)

I'm playing him as a ball playing defender in a three, I don't think I'd play him in defence in a back 2. We'll see how it works out :D

Just now, stevemc said:

I'm playing him as a ball playing defender in a three

Ah, okay. I can see where that would work. I'll be following with interest. Having talked you into this, I'm invested in your success!

6 minutes ago, warlock said:

Ah, okay. I can see where that would work. I'll be following with interest. Having talked you into this, I'm invested in your success!

Haha, hopefully it all works out well in the end :D I'm more interested to see how far I can go in Europe.

Monaco: 2021/22 - August

First month in France went quite well. PSG slipped up away at Brest after Unai Emery left the club just before the game :D We made no mistake, picking up 3 wins from 3 before our early season clash with PSG at home.

But look who has rocked up at PSG :mad: Unai Emery left and took the Real Madrid job, so Pep, who was sacked at Manchester City, is now in Paris...

352nlzs.png

For our Friday evening gameweek 4 match at home to PSG, the bookies had us down as slight favourites, probably due to home advantage:

688mrc.png

It proved to be right, we were ruthless, running out comfortable 4-0 winners, with Thomas Lemar leading the team through - nice little lesson for Pep :D Only sour note was centre-back Tomás Martínez breaking his ribs meaning a 2 month absence.

14w8wfs.png

725zb8.png

2hz75so.png

The Champions League draw has also been made, looking forward to making my European debut:

2drtjkz.png

PSG were not finished with business either, transfer deadline day saw Guardiola spend £45.5m on a 19-year-old right back:

e1dk5u.png

First I've ever heard, but France have a Joker window, where you can buy 1 player from another French team during this period :D

I'm going to start buying some youth players to fill Monaco's very average under 19s. This will also help fill the HG quota in years to come.

I have my own techniques for scouting 15-17 year old regens, but which are the best academies to poach from?

53 minutes ago, stevemc said:

which are the best academies to poach from?

In France itself, OL, Stade Rennais and Bordeaux seem to churn out a lot of good prospects. Best hunting ground, for me, would be the top Portuguese clubs, followed by the Dutch and Belgian leaders.

Looks like you're off to a good start in the league, and that European group should present few problems although Sevilla away could be a tricky one.

4 hours ago, warlock said:

In France itself, OL, Stade Rennais and Bordeaux seem to churn out a lot of good prospects. Best hunting ground, for me, would be the top Portuguese clubs, followed by the Dutch and Belgian leaders.

Looks like you're off to a good start in the league, and that European group should present few problems although Sevilla away could be a tricky one.

Thanks, I've managed to pick a couple of talented youngsters up...

ak8w0h.png

5nvkid.png

2eeemw2.png

28mhkc2.png

Still on the hunt for more...

Monaco: 2021/22 - September

Managed to make it through the international week unscathed, I forgot to mention but Arsene Wenger is now the manager of France :D Mauro Icardi returned from the international break on fire, smashing four in against Rennes:

206dl3d.png

We followed up those three points with a hard fought win in the Derby de la Côte d'Azur, where Murat Kaplan came off the bench to poach the winner:

2ivb438.png

Our continued 100% record puts us well clear at the top of the table:

2ng525f.png

Gameweek 1 of the Champions League went really well, 3-0 away win at 10-man FC Porto on my European debut...

e5in2q.png

Gameweek 2 also passed without bother:

xpdamu.png

14kunhi.png

I've also started going through the squad tidying up and extending the contracts of the first team players.

1 hour ago, stevemc said:

I've managed to pick a couple of talented youngsters up...

I should say you have. Most of them look like they could slot straight into a first team backup role. KUTGW!

29 minutes ago, warlock said:

I should say you have. Most of them look like they could slot straight into a first team backup role. KUTGW!

Thanks, my scout has just picked up this gem too :)

23mq38.png

7 minutes ago, warlock said:

Care to share your scouting technique? It obviously works a treat!

I basically scout the majority of 15-16 year olds in the players search area and see what returns. But also always set a short term focus on 15-17 year olds, scouting a different place each month, and just keep it rolling. Seems to pick up a few good youngsters!

1 minute ago, stevemc said:

I basically scout the majority of 15-16 year olds in the players search area and see what returns. But also always set a short term focus on 15-17 year olds, scouting a different place each month, and just keep it rolling.

Cheers, Steve. I'll have to give that a try (since my Peterborough youth setup is incapable of generating decent prospects at the mo').

On 09/04/2018 at 14:01, warlock said:

Wasn't too difficult in the end :D

2yzms1l.png

Wasn't expecting that!

5 minutes ago, warlock said:

11 shots on target and 7 goals... were they playing without a keeper? Looks like Icardi has settled in well.

Freak result, we literally didn't miss. That was Icardi's second hat trick so he's definitely settled in well :D

Monaco: 2021/22 - October

Another unbeaten month, five league games, five wins, this team is flying at the moment, asserting our dominance at the top of Ligue Un:

33ker8j.png

104p3ix.png

We are also top of our Champions League group after a 7-0 win over Sevilla:

vo20ci.png

We've also started work on improving the training facilities and data analysis facilities, ready for October 2022.

Monaco: 2021/22 - November

Another 4 league wins as the 100% domestic record continues:

25khlvn.png

iwol7o.png

Our first defeat came this month, in the Champions League, FC Porto turned us over 2-1 at home. We are still top of our group, with a two point gap, with one game to go so it's important we win and top the group.

Game week 4:

mimj3t.png

Game week 5:

28iajc3.png

Didn't help losing our key man, Thomas Lemar, for 5 weeks:

10de0z7.png

Monaco: 2021/22 - Transfer Rumours...

fy01i1.jpg

As we are approaching January, rumours are already starting to appear around some of my big players.

Manchester City are all over Thomas Lemar, who I'm reluctant to sell full stop, if he does go, I'd be looking at the £150m+ range. City also want Fabinho, but will they return with a better offer than the £80m they put on the table in the summer? To be honest, I think I could replace him with £80m, so if they return with that, I'd most likely allow him to leave now.

2ia338y.jpg

Similar with PSG, constantly flirting in the media over my wingback's Djibril Sidibé and Raphaël GuerreiroSidibé I would sell, at a push, given he's approaching 30, and not entirely happy, so £30-40m would tempt me. But Guerreiro is immense, I'd hate to lose him and I'm not sure I could actually replace him at left-wing-back, even if I got £60-70m for him.

As for Radja Nainggolan, as good as he is, he doesn't half love a moan about anything. He's 34, although still a top player, is also on a hefty wage, so I'd probably cut my losses on him, seeing as though Xhaka and Kessie have been doing a great job in his absence.

I'd imagine something will happen in January with outgoing(s)...

As for incomings, I don't feel the need to add a player at this stage, as we are flying at the moment. The only way I'll spend is if a top player leaves, then I'll see if one of my shortlisted players would be available, if not, then I'll wait until the summer. I'm still scouting around for talent for the youth team though and that's progressing nicely, with 5 new additions under 17 so far.

Monaco: 2021/22 - December

December was kind to us, we made progress in the Champions League and Coupe de la Ligue plus remained unbeaten in the league:

2e0mpn8.png

We topped out Champions League group, landing us with a knock out round trip to Turin to face Juventus:

1549j83.jpg

2mesius.png

We picked up a number of personal awards as Manchester City's Pablo Dybala picked up the Ballon D'Or:

15q6ycn.png

2zi37ew.png

rrnvco.png

Monaco: 2021/22 - January Transfers

So January was a little busier than expected :D

Started off with Real Madrid coming in for Djibril Sidibé. I would happily have accepted around £40m, but I managed to get £60m! £52.5m up front with £7.5m in instalments, unbelievable deal if you ask me!

2czyomx.png

Managed to offload Radja Nainggolan to Liverpool for £16m, he was 33, on a silly wage and was only a peripheral figure for me anyway so I was happy with that deal.

wjw1g3.png

Because of those sales, I've pushed Fabinho to right wing back to fill the void left by Sidibé. With the amount of money I had, I decided to go all out on an elite centre midfielder, which I mentioned early on in the thread, I think we needed someone top class in that area, so in came 22-year-old, 6ft1 centre midfielder, Kai Havertz! He fits the exact profile of what I'm looking for in a centre midfielder for this team.

fksh8z.png

With the money left, I picked up Andrea Pinamonti for £20m, to replace the out going Gabriel Barbosa, who's leaving on loan until the Summer after a disappointing start to his career with Monaco.

jqgbwz.png

I wasn't after a left back, but I couldn't resist picking up French left back Theo Hernandez for just £6m! In this market, that's daft!

s2s3g5.png

That's the dealings over until the Summer. Managed to keep a hold of Thomas Lemar, Fabinho and Raphaël Guerreiro.

1 hour ago, john1 said:

Cracking transfers :cool: Good money for Nainggolan :thup: Who is your HOYD?

Thank you.

Here is my Head of Youth development, nothing special, but he had the best personality from a poor bunch, plus good determination:

8y5a47.png

Monaco: 2021/22 - January

Solid month, however we slipped to our first defeat in the league, away to money-bags PSG :(

2wrg6iv.png

January results:

2qlbqrd.png

Our Coupe de la Ligue form sees us into our first final, against PSG:

15iv03.png

Whilst the board were bringing in new sponsorships, I was out spending money in January :D

eagjcy.png

2z6564h.png

To be fair, after two windows, and all the ins and outs, my net spend is bang on £100m whilst reducing the wage budget significantly.

6 hours ago, michael said:

Just out of interest who took over at Brighton when you left?

This fella, came from Spartak Moscow...

oazrxe.png

And he's carrying on my good work, despite me pinching most the backroom staff :D

2qai635.png

Monaco: 2021/22 - February

February was a busy month, plenty of squad rotating going on throughout a number of competitions, ultimately, we remained top of the league:

10q01sz.png

2eauog2.png

Our great form has earn't us Champions League qualification already :)

2q020k4.png

We served up some revenge to PSG for our league defeat, but knocking them out of the Coupe de France:

2ebfn68.png

In the Champions League, Mauro Icardi continued his big-match form with a second-half hat trick pulling us back from 2-0 down, with a 3-2 and three away goals in the bank for the return leg. Epic match :D

4i0gf9.png

Monaco: 2021/22 - March

The injuries are beginning to mount up, leaving me with selection issues at the business of the season.

We just about scraped past Juventus in the Champions League, setting up a tasty looking quarter final tie with Manchester United:

2e512lt.png

es0zs6.png

After a short club football month due to the international break, we saw progression in the Coupe de France to the semi-finals, despite a ridiculous decision to play the quarter final bang in the middle of international week so I had to play the under 19's with Icardi and Rodrigo! 

293hg1e.png

333h7vr.png

Monaco: 2021/22 - April

April started off tough, we lost the Coupe de la Ligue final on penalties to PSG. Had Theo Hernandez not been sent off so early in the game, I'm convinced we'd have won the game, but it wasn't to be. He was subsequently fined two weeks wages.

2jbwn74.png

Moving on to the Champions League, we just about squeezed past Manchester United, despite us being poor over the two legs, and having injuries, Mauro Icardi stepped up to the plate again...

72rvis.png

33a5rhw.png

That progression set up a mouth-watering semi final tie against Real Madrid, after a terrible first half, we came out and turned it around in the Bernabau to take a 2-1 lead back to Monaco with two away goals. We managed to win 4-2 in the second leg despite another red card.

x6ejhk.png

10o2lv7.png

And guess who we now play in the Champions League final? Brighton... my ex-club :D

Finally, the league was wrapped up against Marseille, which had been coming for some time:

acpjko.png

vctnux.png

11kw9w2.png

We still have two cup finals left this season, so we have a chance to add more silverware to the league title...

Monaco: 2021/22 - May

Here are a few screenshots of the end of the Ligue 1 season, which we dominated from start to finish... smashing the goal scoring record in the process...

9u6squ.jpg

2a81a2u.png

4j0q48.png

Our under 19's also won their league:

orj97o.png

In the Coupe de France, we just progress in the semi final after a terrible 60 minutes, in fact things didn't improve until Murat and Pinamonti came on to devastating effect:

2eeynbb.png

The final was a hard fought 1-0 win against State Reims, ensuring we lifted the Coupe de France for the first time since 1991 whilst securing a domestic double:

1xxjd4.png

Moving on to the Champions League, in the lead up to the game we lost a couple of players meaning I had to name two goalkeepers on the bench. Fabinho was also suspended. 

It was a difficult game against my former team, littered with players I had signed, and they took the lead after only two minutes. We came out second half and performed slight better, with make-shift right-wing-back Franck Kessie scoring a header to pull us level. With the game in extra time, and tiredness creeping in, Brighton gave away a penalty which Mauro Icardi, the competitions leading goalscorer, duly converted ensuring Monaco lifted the Champions League for the first time in their history...

r1g4fp.png

2irvv2g.png

2ihp9bo.png

There's been quite a reaction to becoming European champions :D

20u6d50.png

This season has helped me break into the English Hall of Fame:

10did4x.png

Let's see what the summer brings...

Monaco: 2022/23 - Summer

The board have announced plans to extend the stadium by 13,000 seats taking us up to around 41,000, to achieve this we need to play a season away from away at the Allianz Riviera, the home of Nice.

2d9te2s.png

Our great season has also put a massive improvement into our finances, especially compared to where the club was when I took over:

2iiejjs.png

I've started my summer recruitment early;

I finally got my hands on Gianluigi Donnarumma, for £39m:

dgq53r.png

Wonderkid centre-back Louis Colin also arrives for £15.75m, after bring recommended by new scout David Trezeguet:

fm96t.png

Defensive midfielder Vincent Koziello joins for £21m:

fuw9ph.png

Wonderkid Lucio arrives for £16m:

izcow1.png

No doubt we'll do more business yet.

PSG are have already started their summer recruitment, with Dele joining from Spurs:

2lo0ro1.png

I also flogged them Kessie for £45m :D

zjcfnt.png

The fixtures have just landed, and I'm taking the team on a US tour for pre-season:

2j5ncm.png

We've also accepted an offer from Manchester City, whom we will play in the Super Cup final, to take part in Sergio Aguero's testimonial.

I can only apologise for urging you to this episode in your career - obviously far too easy for a manager of your calibre :lol:.

Some great signings there... should be a repeat performance this season!

Archived