[FM18] - Rovers Return?

stevemc

19 часов назад, stevemc сказал:

Louis Khouri looks a good talent in the game, but I couldn't keep him because of his work permit, however if I could have got a work permit for him on his contract renewal then I would have kept him and developed him.

do you think he's the same talent in real life?How often do the predictions of a  FM come true in reality?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brighton & Hove Albion: 2019/20 - Premier League: December

We managed to navigate through the Christmas month, with 4 wins and 3 losses, couple of clean sheets in there too after a few tweaks to training and making my tactic more conservative, until Watford ripped us apart :D

157zmvp.png

This leaves us 7th coming in to the New Year:

2r6dzpg.png

The youth facilities have now also been upgraded:

15doyes.png

Moise Kean has picked up the Golden Ball award, he's going to be attracting some big clubs soon:

4kw4kw.png

West Brom also offered me a job interview, despite already having a manager in charge, but I've got no interest in joining a 19th placed club full of ageing players:

vb7e9.png

51 minutes ago, stevemc said:

We managed to navigate through the Christmas month, with 4 wins and 3 losses, couple of clean sheets in there too after a few tweaks to training and making my tactic more conservative, until Watford ripped us apart :D

Steve, what tactic are you using now? Nothing wrong with 7th, but those losses to Southampton and Watford would worry me. Looks like a bit more consistency would see you comfortably into the top 5 or 6.

18 hours ago, warlock said:

Steve, what tactic are you using now? Nothing wrong with 7th, but those losses to Southampton and Watford would worry me. Looks like a bit more consistency would see you comfortably into the top 5 or 6.

I'm using a 4-3-3 but I didn't really invest in my defence in the Summer, I'm kinda playing with a Premier League midfield and attack, and a Championship defence :D. Doesn't help that my main centre-back is slow too. The Watford game looks worse than it was, at 3-1 with about 15 minutes to go, I went full on gung ho trying to get a 3-3 but it backfired hugely. I'm going to keep tweaking it, but I'll be recruiting defensively in the Summer and hopefully that will help to close the gap too.

7 hours ago, stevemc said:

I'm using a 4-3-3 but I didn't really invest in my defence in the Summer, I'm kinda playing with a Premier League midfield and attack, and a Championship defence :D

Yeah, I know how that goes. Did pretty much the same in my Wolves save - most of my squad leaders were defenders and hell broke out when I moved them on in season 3!

1 hour ago, warlock said:

Yeah, I know how that goes. Did pretty much the same in my Wolves save - most of my squad leaders were defenders and hell broke out when I moved them on in season 3!

Yeah I've had the same with Robert Huth, thankfully he's retiring at the end of the season :D

Brighton & Hove Albion: 2019/20 - Premier League: January

A mixed month really, a few losses, a couple of red cards and suspensions, dumped out of the FA Cup by Championship side QPR:

2nvv85v.png

Here's the league as it stands - we're in the mix for Europa League...

33w4080.png

I've signed a new deal this month too:

2iqlsoi.png

I wasn't planning on doing any January business, but I negotiated an £18m deal (plus 20% of next sale) to sell Ryan Nyambe, whom I think has reached his level, I paid £6m for him, so I made a tidy profit and it also levelled off our finances:

2eqb8kw.png

I replaced him with Davide Calabria but Borja San Emeterio has been promoted to number one.

Here is a general round up of the Premier League transfers:

2zizib9.png

17 hours ago, stevemc said:

I seem to be struggling with a defensive corner set up, does anyone have any ideas?

My setup is not to have players on the goal line - they never do much anyway. Fastest outfield player stays forward, best passer on the edge of the area - these two hopefully give us the chance of a fast counter. Tallest players (usually CBs and strikers) set to man-mark tall players. Four others defending the six-yard line. Anyone else set to man-mark or just 'go back'. I still concede a few over the season but not enough to worry me, and I usually bag a handful of goals on the counter.

5 hours ago, warlock said:

My setup is not to have players on the goal line - they never do much anyway. Fastest outfield player stays forward, best passer on the edge of the area - these two hopefully give us the chance of a fast counter. Tallest players (usually CBs and strikers) set to man-mark tall players. Four others defending the six-yard line. Anyone else set to man-mark or just 'go back'. I still concede a few over the season but not enough to worry me, and I usually bag a handful of goals on the counter.

Thanks I'll try this.

I conceded a goal in the first game with that new set up :D I checked the set piece stats for goals conceded from corners, and I'm top, so there's a big problem there.

However, on closer inspection, I only have 3 players in my starting 11 over 6ft, so maybe this is something I need to address in the Summer too, when I'm recruiting defenders.

Brighton & Hove Albion: 2019/20 - Premier League: February

Really solid month, topped off with a monster win over Liverpool:

25hmhhh.png

2yl4v1s.png

Still not much change in the league table though:

dgl6rl.png

Moise Kean is still flying, despite his disciplinary issues:

28858n6.png

Brighton & Hove Albion: 2019/20 - Premier League: April

Good month, beat West Ham who were in contention with us for 7th place, but Leicester have joined the mixed after beating us. Going to go close in the run in...

5yz0ci.png

n5hhfm.png

111pixe.png

Moise Kean once again leading the way...

4udno8.png

Also decided to wrap up an early deal ready for Summer, addressing our height deficit, Tim Jedvaj joins for £7.25m to play right-back.

20at10i.png

Brighton & Hove Albion: 2019/20 - Premier League: May

League finally over, finished 7th, great achievement in our first season in the Premier League - Should be enough for the Europa League:

2eajiae.png

2w5ilid.png

Not sure how match of the year was the 3-0 win against Newcastle united, when I beat Liverpool 7-1 at home :D

20kyo1.png

Moise Kean and I won a couple of individual awards:

dfktvo.png

25gfio4.png

Our under-18's had a solid season, a few of the players are really starting to improve now:

2rnvq06.png

But, our under-23's won the Premier League Cup...

4ufk7d.png

Elsewhere, Manchester United were dominant this season:

1zmdpgo.png

I've also picked up Marco Benassi on a free, he'll be a useful addition to the midfield, probably replacing Lewis Baker.

anmx3o.png

Brighton & Hove Albion: 2020/21 - Premier League: Summer Window

Here's a few bits of news from the end of the last season:

2r5tc9c.png

2h30bk2.png

29amtx.png

2yy8h3b.png

Ended up being a much busier window than planned, and it's not over yet, still a week to go...

oh2x7d.png

So...

GOALKEEPERS:

Ben Foster was given a free transfer, and Tom Heaton arrived from relegated Burnley.

DEFENDERS:

Out went Luis Hernandez (£14m for a 31 year old is something I couldn't turn down), Kalas (£8m), Paz (£11m) and Danny De Costa (£9.75m), replaced with Mammana (£14.5m), Drongelen (£18.5) and Rob Holding on a free. I've added more height and Tin Jedvaj has enhanced that further too.

MIDFIELDERS:

Out went Baker (£7.75m) and Maddison (£11m) replaced with Bennassi on a free and a transfer-listed Harry Winks for £12.25m.

STRIKERS:

I sold Destro (£14..75m), Perez (£6.5m) and James Wilson (£13m) and in came Patrick Roberts on a free, to play out wide of a front three, from the bench. Facundo Colidio also joined for £8.25m. I'm still toying with the idea of selling Andy Carroll due to his age.

The board actually set me a nice budget, and with all this activity done, I'm sat on £107m still left to spend:

2mnk7fa.png

Luke Shaw takes my fancy, he's transfer listed, but £54m feels a little steep. The last few weeks of the window might be big...

Anyway, pre season is ahead and the fixtures are out:

2rm1rhu.png

Rather disappointingly, we finished 7th but didn't get Europa League football.

Just looking for some feedback on a couple of my more talented regens. I've picked these up over the past couple of seasons and they are making great progress...

Pedro:

Really excited about this lad, picked him up for a couple of hundred grand, creative midfielder, good free kick, long shot and finisher too.

dwsw2g.png

Adamsson:

I see this kid replacing Andy Carroll, he should save me having to buy a replacement target man.

2vb0by8.png

Butina:

6ft3ins Butina already broke through last season, providing a number of key assist from the bench, Andy Carroll has been the recipient of a number of quality crosses.

2dshbgw.png

Simal:

I like the look of Simal, but his growth my be slightly thwarted by Butina.

20t2edt.png

Just wanted to post a quick update, as I'm sending my MacBook in for repair tomorrow so maybe be without it for a week or so :(

I'm literally on Deadline Day now, I accepted a generous £33m bid for Merino, as I think I'm staffed enough in that area of the pitch:

sqs86w.png

Manchester United also signed a youngster off me, West, whom I don't see as anything special, worth £150,000 but got £675,000 for him plus a 50% sell on just incase :D 

23h92dx.png

I've got my game all backed up, so fingers crossed I'll be back on this sooner rather than later...

• 2 weeks later...

Brighton & Hove Albion: 2020/21 - Premier League: August

Transfer window round up:

2r2rcaq.png

Simple pre-season, bedding in a few new players, not done anything to my tactics:

2r5xnx0.png

Here are the boards expectations this season, I'd love to land some European football for next season:

2akdzf4.png

Nice start to the season too :)

10ofyw1.png

Brighton & Hove Albion: 2020/21 - Premier League: September

Steady month, month win in the league cup too :)

112bloy.png

"Lads, it's Spurs" :D

2gsh99c.png

Early form is good, leaving us in 2nd place, good to build from:

2dl671j.png

Lincoln, as expected, has started really well, I'm expecting a good season from him:

55pcm8.png

I've also reached 100 games in management:

9092fq.png

Brighton & Hove Albion: 2020/21 - Premier League: October

Nothing much to report for October really, we lost away at top of the league Chelsea which has moved us down to 4th, but it's still close at the top.

104mb84.png

We've drawn Manchester United in the League Cup quarter finals.

Also tied Ruben Neves down to a long term contract.

Brighton & Hove Albion: 2020/21 - Premier League: November

Finished the month in 3rd, despite a little wobble towards the end of the month:

ness8w.png

Also happy I've managed to just sneak Brighton into the development clubs list, hoping to move up higher over the coming seasons:

2i6f249.png

Decided to drop £13.75m on 18 year old midfielder Claudio Lucas, ready for January:

35d3k2b.png

Brighton & Hove Albion: 2020/21 - Premier League: December

We had a really good December, Lincoln and Jota were superb, winning player of the month awards too as well as me landing manager of the month:

2zr1hzk.png

This leaves us 4th in the table going into the New Year:

2mos1oj.png

Lincoln, as I predicted, has been brilliant and has been voted Golden Boy:

v4b2bs.png

January is here and there will be a few ins and outs, which I'll post in the next update.

Brighton & Hove Albion: 2020/21 - Premier League: January

An unbeaten month for us, despite a few injuries:

2vc9tfq.png

This form moved us up for 1st but we've played a game more:

2lxw4r9.png

Transfer wise, I let Andy Carroll and Marco Benassi leave during January due to lack of playing time. Andy Carroll was a great servant to us, but Lincoln has just taken over his spot.

25i6hpd.png

r0cxz6.png

Elsewhere, it was an expensive window:

2iavp5i.png

Brighton & Hove Albion: 2020/21 - Premier League: February

Bit of a stumble this month, although our 2-2 draw was with Chelsea was a good comeback after being 0-2 down:

1ypdat.png

2pqqazo.png

We are currently on a great unbeaten run though, will I the enough to possibly win the league?

v8l99e.png

We will have to do this without the influential Ruben Neves who's suffered a broken leg :(

xleb82.png 

Brighton & Hove Albion: 2020/21 - Premier League: March

Bottled it away at Newcastle United, even Christian Benteke got on the scoresheet after a Tin Jedvaj shocker of a pass back put him through one on one, Tin Jedvaj later added to his terrible day at the office by bagging an own goal for Newcastle's winner in the 92nd minute - you've got to laugh! :seagull:

Chelsea had the perfect month, at just the right time, extending their lead at the top of the table going into April.

Lincoln hit his 20th league goal of the season in March, and now sits just one goal behind current leading scorer, Pablo Dybala, of 7th placed Manchester City.

2yuy4jd.png

zwxok4.png

Dumped Arsenal out of the FA Cup 6th round in an epic 4-0 home win :D Leaves us with a semi-final against Manchester City at Wembley.

Luke Shaw is out for a month too, which is a blow to how we play, up to Angelino to step up now.

After PSG tried to unsettle Predrag Rajkovic with derogatory bids during January, I've managed to tie him down to a new long-term deal:

w2kmer.png

I've also instructed the board to improve our youth facilities and junior coaching.

1 hour ago, stevemc said:

I've also instructed the board to improve our youth facilities and junior coaching.

Oooh, get you! Most of us request - politely, cap in hand, 'umble-like!

What kind of run-in do you have? Enough games left to claw your way back to the top if they're not too difficult.

19 hours ago, warlock said:

Oooh, get you! Most of us request - politely, cap in hand, 'umble-like!

What kind of run-in do you have? Enough games left to claw your way back to the top if they're not too difficult.

I have the board grovelling to me :D

There's been a upturn in events, I'll post it in my April update...

Brighton & Hove Albion: 2020/21 - Premier League: April

Things changed and twisted in the title race this month, as we close into the final games of the season.

Chelsea bottled it, allowing us and Manchester United to close the gap:

jfw0va.png

2vdrw3d.png

We pulled off a brilliant result away at Manchester United, but then slipped up with a 1-1 draw away at 10-men Arsenal:

2j1plao.png

wrhle9.png

The league is tight now, level on points, with 3 games to go:

2dam06o.png

Our run in doesn't look too bad:

wjasgg.png

But United have Wolves, Watford and Crystal Palace...

We have wrapped up Champions League qualification though, which is a great achievement:

whz760.png

Our FA Cup run continued, knocking out Manchester City 3-1 to set up a final against Liverpool:

2i9o2zo.png

Brighton & Hove Albion: 2020/21 - Premier League: May (3 games to go...)

Oooh, this might actually be about to happen...

Lincoln played a blinder, sent us top, and Wolves turn over Manchester United :eek:

50708.png

33y3qzp.png

23hk1sk.png

Lincoln has put himself in the race for the golden boot too, tied on 26 goals with Lukaku and Dybala...

mkhjk3.png

2 games to go...

Brighton & Hove Albion: 2020/21 - Premier League: May (2 games to go...)

Slip up. We conceded an 89th minute equaliser against Swansea. Whilst United smashed Watford.

2vwzlf8.png

a1jea.png

It's still in our own hands though:

1zp6v48.png

Title decider coming up...

Brighton & Hove Albion: 2020/21 - Premier League: CHAMPIONS!

WE'VE DONE IT! We beat Leicester City to do a Leicester City :D

24w8sg6.png

Manchester United won too, but we managed to turn over mid-table Leicester City with help from super-sub Butina.

29xbqk6.png

1zb6rmx.png

2j4ov7q.png

Mourinho wasn't happy :D

23l0e51.png

Lincoln just missed out on the golden boot, but all three of our strikers made the charts:

6hum55.png

FA Cup final to come...

Brighton & Hove Albion: 2020/21 - FA Cup Final

Well, we blew FA Cup final, never really got going, really disappointing performance, and lost 1-0 to Liverpool.

33kx0cj.png

I'll post an end of season update tomorrow...

That's an awesome season, despite the FA Cup disappointment. Have to agree with Mr Gritt - McCluskie is doing great things with Brighton! (Even if the "all-time great" tag needs a bit of work :))

Felt like a snowball effect, once we hit form it all started falling into place.

No idea why we didn't perform in the FA Cup final, completely out of the blue that performance and Liverpool's form was patchy going into the final too. Can't complain though, I wanted to qualify for the Europa League this season so to win the title was massive :)

Just debating now wether to stay at Brighton or move on this summer, there's a but of a manager merry-go-round going on...

Right, thinking time... Monaco have come in for me... seems a good challenge, they finished 4th in Ligue 1 but they've got an £87m transfer budget (same as Brighton) and £3m wage budget (£1.2m than Brighton) so re-building is possible. Would be satisfying trying to stop moneybags PSG continued domination on France and Monaco have a good history, I've never managed in France either in the whole of FM. Could be a chance to raise my profile even further.

Thoughts on this development? :D

Archived