[FM18] [FC Suðuroy] [Faroe Islands] ::: A Faroese Fairytale Adventure

ajcardall

After a bug was discovered in the database I'd employed for the Coventry United career (see below for thread), I made the difficult choice to suspend said career for the time being and attempt something new. I've never tried this before, but I've always enjoyed reading other users' attempts, and that is taking a relative backwater and attempting to transform them into a dominating force in football.

I've noticed there are a few threads in various regions (Malta, Balkans, Far East, Oceania, Iceland etc) so wanted to go for somewhere that wasn't necessarily unique (this has been done), but was still in Europe. I've decided to go for the Faroe Islands, using the database provided by claassen, and will see how far along I can go. I've no real "end game" in mind, and any goals I do have may shift over time. At the outset, it's got to be the classic 'win the Champions League', but that may change. I've got a number of different paths in mind, and at this point I don't want to commit myself to one particular career path, but rather keep my options open.

Database.thumb.png.a1937f58523b97158562b41d489ba913.png

These are the leagues that have been loaded, and the player database is large, with all players of a National Reputation from Europe also loaded.

I'll provide the usual club and manager introduction shortly.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FC Suðuroy

A club introduction

IPBMWMj.png

FC Suðuroy are a semi-professional club who play in the second Faroese division, 1. Delid. Predicted to finish 10th (out of 10), there's little expectation at the outset.

Here's what wikipedia has to say about the club

Wikipedia:

FC Suðuroy is a Faroese Football club, which was founded in January 2010 and consists currently of the former clubs VB (founded in 1905) and  (founded in 1949), which merged in 2005 to form VB/Sumba. FC Suðuroy's first team in the men's championship competes in the 1. deild in 2014. All teams play their home games at the Vesturi á Eiðinum Stadium in Vágur. The FC Suðuroy logo was designed by the photographer Rógvi Nolsøe Johansen in 2010, the same year he won the competition to design a logo for the club.

After the end of the 2016 season it was decided on 15 December 2016 that the three clubs of the island Suðuroy, which are TB Tvøroyri, FC Suðuroy and Royn Hvalba would merge into a new club for the 2017 season.[1] The merger will not be complete until 2018 and the name will be all three names together for the 2017 season: TB/FC Suðuroy/Royn.[2] The three clubs have not been dissolved yet, they continue separately for the children's and women's teams. In 2017 it will only be the men's teams which will play for the new cooperation. In Faroese the new team is referred to as Suðuroyarliðið (the Suðuroy-team).[3]

VB/Sumba played in 1. deild (1. division, which is the second tier) in 2009 and won the division. FC Suðuroy therefore played their first season in the Faroe Islands Premier League, which was called Vodafonedeildin from 2009–2011. FC Suðuroy played their first league match on 1 April 2010 against the champions HB Tórshavn. The result was 4–4.[5] FC Suðuroy didn't make it in Vodafonedeildin, they were relegated and played in 1. deild in 2011. They won the division with 70 points[6] and were promoted to Effodeildin along with TB Tvøroyri, which is a club from the same island, Suðuroy.

Based on the southern most island of Suðuroy, FC Suðuroy are a new club, and the perfect start for the Norse adventure. The club play their football at the Vesturi á Eiðinum Stadium in Vágur. It's a multi-use sports facility, but the primary sport is football. In terms of capacity, it can hold 3,000 viking beserkers, and has some rugged scenery around the ground.

Vagur,_faroe_islands,_football_field.jpg

1280px-Vagur_Suduroy_Faroeislands_East_a

The pitch can be seen mid-centre, above the lake.

In game, the club's facilities are represented as follows:

gH8X993.png

So, it looks like there's a lot to do. But who's the man with dreams of grandieur for this tiny club?

The Manager

EwISNWf.png

Tróndur í Gøtu

Tróndur í Gøtu was a viking from the Faroe Islands, and was a central figure in the Færeyinga saga which tells the early history of the islands, and the coming of christianity - which Tróndur himself opposed, but was forced to convert to by Sigmundur Brestisson. He is said to have pronounced a curse against the religion and against Sigmundur, who was spreading it across the islands.

It's Tróndur who I've decided should be the man who put the islands on the map, and make the rest of Europe tremble as the Norsemen sweep through.

Here's the manager profile at the outset:

fmmYRbp.png

Initial Goals

I said in the opening post that I'm not going to set any hard and fast goals, and that objectives may change and shift. However, 'just playing' isn't as interesting, and so while it may be subject to change, my initial goals are:

Dominate the Faroe Islands

Raise Faroese football as high as possible

Fight for European silverware

Take charge of the national team and make the rugged islands a force to be reckoned with

7 minutes ago, RioImmagina said:

I'm currently managing AB (1st Deild): with the correct formation you can easily win the league :)

Don't forget to sign some newgen, despite the young age, some of them are very strong

Yeah I'm on the lookout for some extra quality - I started with a handful of decent players, but mainly poor ones, so definitely need to get scouting quickly. :D

FC Suðuroy

Pre-Season Report 2017

sXoDC2a.png

Definitely not the most inspiring of pre-season schedules, but we did run some top division clubs pretty close in a couple of games. This schedule was primarily about gelling and fitness, and trying to find the right tactic going forward (still ongoing), so the real test will come when the league kicks off in a few weeks' time.

m68qcfl.png

tRq1goq.png

Last season FC Suðuroy finished second, but there seems to be little chance of a repeat this year, and relegation seems on the cards. It looks like it could be a long slog this year.

jE7MTSk.png

This is the first team squad. Ignore the player positions, the tactic isn't settled yet and is subject to change. We have a few decent looking lads in the squad, but overall the quality appears to be very poor and will need constant strengthening and some of the poorer players moving on.

Here are some of the more stand-out players, as rated by the assistant manager:

HlcaojV.png

Tóri Jacobsen - the young midfielder is best suited to the attacking playmaker role, but can also do a job on the left wing if needed. His flair and technique will see him utilised in the AMC position as an attacking playmaker.

5zQro55.png

Ari Hansen is a young goalkeeper, and despite being only 16, will doubtless be the first choice as he is some way ahead of the deputy, Kári Djurhuus. Still needs some work in some key areas, but at such a young age, he definitely has room to grow.

q60u8CH.png

Allan Samuelsen looks a decent centre back at this level. Good in the tackle and in the air, he does need to work on his positioning sense.

4Dk7fFm.png

Rúni Johannesen is the clubs leading striker, and someone who has room to improve, if he has desire to do so. He is atheletic and knows where the net is, but his lack of concentration could be a problem.

15 minuti fa, ajcardall ha scritto:

Yeah I'm on the lookout for some extra quality - I started with a handful of decent players, but mainly poor ones, so definitely need to get scouting quickly. :D

Naah, don't waste money on scouting, in Far Oer you dont' need scouts.

You olìnly have to simply go to every nation U20-U21-U19 page (especially oceanian,African,asian and nortth american) and propose a 4 week test at every free player (specially under 18 yo). 75% of them will join you, and you will be able to sign a lot of good player (eg. Mvoe carrè, former Bordeaux central defender wiith outstanding phisical attributes). It works perfectly with newgens: type 3 letters and search (eg. CAR-Mat-SON-COL), sort by age, and offer a 4 weeks test to all the  free players under 18 yo.

It's an incredible exploit in FM18 :)

FC Suðuroy

March 2017

1. Deild

0SzAdYY.png

A nice start to the league with 9 goals scored in the first 4 games, with two clean sheets. Very pleased with the start given our pre-season odds and expectations, but now it's a case of taking the strong start and maintaining it throughout the season.

70YK1y7.png

The seven points picked up leave us in second place at this early stage, a point behind league leaders B68. It also occurs to me that you don't necessarily have to finish in the top two to earn promotions, as the B-teams can't compete in the same division as their parent clubs, so they can't get promoted. Could be useful.

boLotw5.png

Using an asymmetric tactic with positions and roles tailored for our strongest starting XI, and so far it has been working very well. Jacobsen and Johannsen have already developed a good partnership, and work well together.

UVoucce.png

Jacobsen is the star player so far, providing 4 assists and one goal in his first 4 games, and a lot could ride on him this year.

FC Suðuroy

April 2017

1. Deild

uTOVRqf.png

We started poorly, losing the first three games of the month, including in the first round of the Løgmanssteypið (Faroese Cup). However we were able to stop the rot and turn things back around, picking up back-to-back victories in our final two games to send us climbing back up the league table. After the games against B68, myself and Páll Guðlaugsson, the B68 manager became embroiled in a war of words in the press, and it will be interesting to see how that dynamic develops over time.

PK7N5FT.png

We finish the month sitting in third, but by virtue of the B-team non-promotion rule, we occupy the second promotion spot regardless. In fact, at one stage we were in 6th place, and still in the promotion spot, due to all teams above (excluding B68) being B-teams.

xjnwCCx.png

The graph shows how fluid the league currently is, and how much a single victory - or defeat - can change your league position.

ZA9xqpZ.png

We're on the charts for leading producers of international footballers... not sure who they are, mind you! But two former players are representing the national team. Hopefully see that improve.

FC Suðuroy

May 2017

1. Deild

a1hJB3Z.png

A strong month with three victories and just one defeat, giving us 9 points from 12, and further strengthening our promotion push as the season enters the final stretch. Consecutive clean sheets was the most pleasing aspect of the month, and our young goalkeeper is having a brilliant debut season between the sticks, and hopefully can cement his place for years to come.

R51qVCv.png

We find ourselves five points behind the league leaders, and 5 points ahead of the nearest team that could dump us out of the promotion places.

ljA3frg.png

We've stabilised over the past month, and even improved on our position in the league.

9HEf9zH.png

nRcFCLz.png

It's hard to overstate this guy's importance to our good season. He's in fine form, averages 7.9 for the season in the league, and tops the average rating and assist charts for the division. A brilliant player and has been the key to our success this season.

7Q7FR7B.png

Aside from producing a handful of players for the national team, we have produced 15 footballers who play in the top division. Pleasing signs indeed.

28 minutes ago, qwertygod said:

That photo of the pitch and town is beauty itself , can't wait to see them welcome the mighty madrid and co!

It's stunning, that's for sure!

Be a shame to spoil such rugged beauty with a 50,000 seater monstrosity :D

FC Suðuroy

June 2017

1. Deild

jS0sphE.png

An unbeaten month, including getting a measure of revenge over Páll Guðlaugsson and B68, knocking them off of top spot in the league and taking their place.

KHaEWLa.png

5DCHmAj.png

How'd you like them apples, Páll? :D

2uEVUpg.png

Rúni Johannesen is this month's star player, finding the net 4 times in the three games, including grabbing a hat-trick against B36 2. Overall this season his tally is 11 goals in the 12 matches he has played (an injury meant he missed a couple of weeks earlier in the season) and averages a pleasing 7.34 in the league. His 11 goals in the league leave him second in the scoring charts, trailing the leader Rasmus Dan Sørensen by just one goal.

FC Suðuroy

August 2017

1. Deild

pcAWvEb.png

A disappointing loss of form in the last three games, with three consecutive defeats

MEmkVg9.png

The dropped points at the end of the month see us fall to 3rd place, and out of the promotion spots.

AEanh1R.png

I5prOnT.png

We did manage to set a new club record for run of matches without defeat - all prior to the drop in form towards the end, obviously!

There was also a media piece about how I've managed to lift the club, which was nice.

FC Suðuroy

Youth Intake

6oCrz8M.png

A golden generation is what we got for our first intake of my career. Hopefully some of them are able to live up to the high expectations

jgwu39b.png

A lot of potential, it seems, with a handful who could even make an immediate impact, especially Rói Madsen (1A) and Rógvi Poulsen (1B).

6OMo06n.png

My worry with Madsen is high low level of determination and seemingly unambitious personality. Hopefully some carefully selected tutoring will help him progress and ensure he reaches his full potential.

iIGjdjn.png

Much more ambitious and determined, Poulsen has decent mentals as well as a good level of athleticism.

FC Suðuroy

September 2017

1. Deild

RhKpvpO.png

We started well, but once again our form dropped at the end of the month, and lost two and drew one. 7 points from the month, and with the race to go up now hotting up, what does it mean for the table?

ogXp1Zd.png

Sadly, it means our promotion hopes come to an end, and 3rd is now our highest achievable position. With two games left, and a maximum points return of 48, we will spend another season in 1. Deild.

Disappointing to fail to go up this year, but we were predicted as the league's whipping boys, so we definitely did better than we expected. Hopefully next year we're able to push on and get over the line.

FC Suðuroy

2017 Season - End of Season Review

1. Deild

gBPKnQj.png

sxvk0Gg.png

Four points from the last two, and we secured a 3rd place finish this year. In the end we were 7 points off of the promotion spots, which is a disappointing collapse after our decent start and middle section of the season, but it definitely gives us a platform to build on next year and hopefully we will be able to hold on and get ourselves promoted.

7T7t5Ip.png

fclWIR3.png

A very good - if disappointing - season. Jacobsen was definitely the man of the year - he had an amazing debut season and we will be looking for more of the same next year as we make a push for promotion.

Tw9SUyJ.png

SkvzIqK.png

EU0dIB8.png

UQQdLtO.png

11 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Shame to miss out on promotion in the end, after your start I had you odds on.

10 hours ago, Sheriff7 said:

Bad luck mate next year you will win it!;Good luck!!:thup:

Thanks chaps! :thup: It was so frustrating at the end, it just seemed like our legs had gone and no matter what, couldn't string any decent consistent form together.

Still, a few key reinforcements and next season should be more successful :D

FC Suðuroy

2018 Season - Season Preview

1. Deild

Last season we narrowly missed out of promotion after some inconsistent form towards the end of the season, leaving us 7 points off the promotion spots. During the winter pre-season, I'd been tacking two players that I wanted to bring in to try and give us that extra bit in the league. There wasn't a major overhaul - just two new additions. Some fringe players were released and some of the youth candidates promoted to the first team. While not strictly "youth only", I definitely want to try and steer the club in that direction.

Z0hqyMc.png

Little to report, it was a better pre-season than last year, and against the Hertha Berlin II side, we performed pretty well.

Mrm8ljO.png

Vwq7hpn.png

Our odds this season have been lengthened. I can assume that while I spent the winter fine tuning, other clubs in the league have gone for full overhauls and a lot of reinforcements.

I don't pay much attention to the odds, but it would have been nice to have had the odds shortened, rather than almost doubled! Oh well, just means the bookies will be severely out of pocket ;)

rkH8jGV.png

I've heard about this happening in game, but its the first time I've had it happen. Our star man last season has openly come out as gay. After the media piece, I spoke to him about his conduct, praising him for putting the club in a positive light. It was the closest interaction I could find to say "Well done, lad. Proud of ya!"

eZEadD7.png

Rúni Nielsen is the first new face joining us. He represents the Faroe Islands at the youth level, and is already a leading player in terms of perceived ability and potential in the team. His low determination is a worry, as is his unambitious personality. Unfortunately given his senior role in the team, I'm unable to tutor him.

lR1epoE.png

Sjúrður Rasmussen was the second new player joining us, and at 16 he already has some pretty impressive stats for this level. He also has moderate levels of determination, which should stand him in good stead as he progresses through his career. His current training focus is overall DC playing position, but I'm also getting him to work on his positioning sense.

FC Suðuroy

April 2018

1. Deild

anO3iVU.png

We made an extremely strong start to the season, with the only defeat coming in the 1st Round of the cup to top-division mainstays Nes Sóknar Ítróttarfelag (NSÍ) in extra-time. In the league we're still unbeaten and have only dropped points on two occasions, and both of those games were matches we were unlucky to lose.

eehduVF.pngAE5LNmb.png

In both of the games we were clearly dominant, and against EB/Streymur we even had a penalty saved. I can't have any complaints, as we're playing very well and looking dangerous in all our matches so far.

l64Mmmb.png

We're only two points clear at the top despite our very strong start, which is testament to how well 2nd placed EB/Streymur are playing as well. They were relegated from the top division last season, so it comes as little surprise that they are performing as well as they are.

TnfmR3P.png

Earmarking Janus Hansen for his performances so far this season. In the league he averages a gnat's whisker under 8.0, and in his 7 matches he has found the net 4 times, provided the assist for three other goals, and been named player of the match 4 times. To put it another way, he is the best player on the pitch in over 50% of the games he has played so far! This is especially pleasing as it means we're not so heavily reliant on last year's star performer, Tóri Jacobsen.

FC Suðuroy

May 2018

1. Deild

1BLqWB0.png

2 wins, 1 draw, and our first league defeat this month. The 3-4 defeat against Giza/Hoyvík looked like a close run thing, but in actual fact two late goals for us made the scoreline seem closer than the game actually was, and truth be told, we never looked like coming away with the points. Frustrating to finally succumb to a defeat in the league, but we're still in a good position.

jnL9xnW.png

Top by virtue of goal difference, and the promotion race is exceptionally tight this season with 4 of the teams capable of being promoted (not B-Teams) within 6 points of each other at the top. Only B71 are not involved in the promotion scrap.

QVFGb88.png

Rúni Nielsen has been the best performing player this month. He is the third part of our attacking midfield triumvirate, along side Jacobsen and Hansen. All three are averaging between 7.3 to 7.7, which is great stuff and is really helping our excellent season.

FC Suðuroy

August 2018

1. Deild

Fast forwarded to late summer, at the point when the rest of the fixtures dates are released. In that time, we've played 7 league fixtures and 4 friendly matches during the summer recess. To call the past few months phenomenal would be a huge understatement, and the disappointment of missing out last year is definitely behind us now.

HkFKQVH.png

We've won an amazing 7 games on the spin (friendly games excluded, obviously). 21 points has provided us with a very healthy buffer in the race for promotion, one we don't look like letting slip any time soon.

dslq3TP.png

9 points clear of second place, and 11 of third - although they are yet to play their game in hand and the gap could shorten. It's been a terrible season for the IF reserves at the bottom, with just a single league victory so far this season.

nHTGEEo.png

We added another two players to the squad during the summer window, both of whom had extensive trials at the club and were put through their paces in the mid-season friendly programme.

euSSL5E.png

Our form player at the moment is Janus Hansen. Since the defeat to Giza/Hoyvik at the end of the previous update, he has gone on to score 5 and assist 6 in the 7 matches. His form has tapered a little as of late, but he is still averaging a very decent 7.26, with 2 goals and 3 assists.

Wen9Ofr.png

First international call up - albeit at the junior level - has just happened during my watch.

Delighted for Rúni Nielsen, but he will miss the upcoming fixture against TB/FC Suðuroy/Royn, one of the teams challenging for promotion (although they are a considerable 15 points behind at this stage).

CfSt6wg.png

We got another golden generation this season, so that's two in two seasons now, which is definitely pleasing.

weP4ecc.png

8 players have a PPA of 4-star or greater, with three players having a PPA of 5 star.

We even got a 2.5 star CA ability player in Fróði Justinussen (18.1).

Here's a closer look at the top three youth candidates this year:

Hdwl7k0.png

Fróði Justinussen (18.1) - CM. Some nice stats for this level, and a high level of teamwork and decision making (comparatively). His low level of determination is disappointing, but I do plan to attempt to bring in some players with high levels of determination and (ideally) professional mentality to act as tutors. He may well be immediately promoted into the senior squad to expose him to first team football in an attempt to bring him along asap.

av2LCu5.png

Fróði Nielsen (18.3) - DC. Again, some pretty healthy stats for our level, but let down by poor determination. Fortunately there's a highly determined defender who is eligible as a tutor already in the squad, so I shall be pairing the two as quickly as possible. He probably won't be in the senior squad for this season, instead will remain with the U-19s to get experience and practice.

7j6UbIZ.png

Allan Joensen (18.2) - M/AM. While he doesn't have the greatest stats at the minute, he does possess decent physical abilities which could stand him in good stead. As with Justinussen, I'll be looking to recruit a suitable and eligible tutor to help improve on his determination. Another who will wait for his promotion to the senior team.

FC Suðuroy

September 2018

1. Deild

yfYgPE6.png

Dropped points in three matches this month, which while disappointing, isn't the talking point. Not by a long shot...

JVrgaC0.png

05tk7XL.png

0PUUbcn.pngMW3V1NH.png

ZyTzU1j.png

We have vanquished the disappointment suffered with last year's fall away in the best possible way! We defied all odds and expectations and have been promoted to the Effodeildin!

Not only that, but the victory over Nes Sóknar Ítróttarfelag 2 in the last fixture of September was enough to guarantee that we will go up as league champions!!!

j3vhi3T.png

jM0UuDJ.png

There was further cause for celebration at the club, as our U-19 squad also crowned themselves champions, winning their group 2 title!

FC Suðuroy

October 2018

1. Deild

We had already wrapped the title up, and with just three games left to play, it was very much a chance to give some of the youngsters and fringe players a chance to impress.

k9ZSLiG.png

s8uACgK.png

Can't grumble at that. Two wins and a defeat, and the youngsters performed well when called upon.

We started the season as rank outsiders for the title, and hot favourites to be relegated. I was a lot more confident, especially after last season's amazing performances. I knew we were close, and it was a matter this season of finding that extra spark. A slight tweak to the tactic, and a couple of new faces brought in, and we were the finished article. We were by far and away the strongest team in the league this year, so much so that when we went top after the second game of the season, we never moved since. The attacking four have all been fantastic this season, and we dominated the assists, goals and average ratings charts for the league this season.

This is my first time in the Faroes, so I've no idea what the step-up to the top flight is like in terms of abilities and team strengths. I have a few concerns - a few of our players are rated as decent for 2. Deild - the third division. I guess only time will tell. Doubtless we shall be favourites for relegation, and as this is new territory to me, then it will be a case of safety first - ensuring our top flight status.

OZdNpiq.pngpd7I3Lq.png

Johannesen was the fan's player of the season, and the clubs leading scorer this year did indeed have a phenomenal year. The striker was also inducted into the club's overall best XI. Hopefully he will be just as clinical next season because I feel we're going to need his goals.

uA6Xa18.png

FC Suðuroy

2019 Season - Preview

Effodeildin

It's fair to say that last season we walked the 1. Deild, and at times looked unstoppable. In fact, we were only beaten twice, and one of those came in a dead rubber at the end of the season when I'd given first team starts to a lot of our youth prospects. Heading into the 2019 season and the Effodeildin, I am genuinely unsure as to what to expect. This is very much new ground, and I've no idea how big of a step up it is to the top division. Surely if we're able to replicate last season's performances, we'll win more than we lose? As we stand on the edge of kick off, my own expectations for the year are merely to survive and cement our status in the top division, giving us a base to build from next year.

6srOeH0.png

We enjoyed a good pre-season against teams around our level. Just one defeat and one draw in our eight pre-season friendly matches, but as we know, the real work starts now.

61tXB5e.pngSpsQHyJ.png

Last season we were favourites for the drop, so it comes as little surprise that the bookmakers have made us favourites for an immediate return to the second tier of Faorese football. The board are also seemingly resigned to our fate, and merely ask that we put up a good fight against relegation - even if we are ultimately unsuccessful. Given that we had similar odds and expectations last year, and yet ended up dominating, it's difficult to read too much into the pre-season odds and expectations.

8DlrhtX.png

Eight new players joined the club, some to be utilised primarily as tutors, some as potential starters, and some as back-up options. Disappointed to see Teitur Olsen leave the club, as in the brief time he was with us, he performed very well. HB are one of the strongest teams in the country, finishing runners-up last year, and claiming the title the season before, so it's hard to begrudge him making the move.

zRYqOIq.png

Finally, this is our squad for the season ahead. The team still has a lot of potential, and hopefully we'll be able to live up to that potential.

FC Suðuroy

May 2019

Effodeildin

Back in the top-flight, it was imperative that we make a good start. As I've said, I'm not sure what to expect in terms of quality increases, but we can only play our game and then adapt as necessary.

7H1Px8m.png

We started life in the top division in very good form, picking up wins in our first four matches. Eventually the break-neck start came to a halt, and we were brought back down to Earth with a sudden downturn in form, that saw us pick up just one win in our next five league games.

In the cup, we went further than we'd managed previously, reaching the semi-final before being eliminated in the two-legged fixture by Nes Sóknar Ítróttarfelag, the aggregate score ending up a very disappoint 2-6.

SOQ02oX.pngwBt1EPw.png

The drop in form knocked us down from the top spot, but we managed to pick up two back-to-back victories that returned us to the top of the league, but only on goal difference. The league is definitely a lot tighter, and more of a challenge than last year. I've seen enough in our performances to remain convinced that we will avoid the drop this year. The European qualification places are 1-5, so the entire top half. If we could manage that this season, that would be fantastic, but as the results show, and the tightness of the table, another poor run and everything could change.

gZ6lW2R.png

Going to select 41. Andreas Egeberg Jacobsen as the stand-out performer so far this year. He joined over the winter pre-season, and has made a very good start. With 11 goals in 10+1 appearances, it's little surprise he finds himself top of the league scoring charts.

QI0qwtW.png

Another academy product has made it into the youth set-up of the national team. His performances were very poor, but both games he played the U-19s were heavily beaten, so it would have been difficult to really shine. Hopefully he will build on this promising start.

FC Suðuroy

August 2019

Effodeildin

We couldn't have asked for a better start to life in the top division, finding ourselves in and around the top spot and challenging hard for a European finish. If we could continue picking up vital victories in key matches, then this season would be very successful, especially when set against our pre-season odds and expectations.

eEaghJ6.png

4 wins from 7 matches, with three defeats, and plenty of reasons to be pleased with how we're performing. To be critical, we could do with improve defensively, but we are still finding our feet and learning what life in the top league is all about. The 7-0 victory over Nes Sóknar Ítróttarfelag was extremely pleasing, especially given the bad blood that has developed between myself and the NSÍ manager, Allan Mørkøre. After the emphatic victory, he took to the press to claim we had been "lucky". In a 7-0 win. Lucky.

tjKwnQi.png

1QF4yja.pngM9Ew8sx.png

Yet to drop any lower than third place, although the last two defeats have seen 4th placed Klaksvíkar Ítróttarfelag close the gap to two points, so we need to pick up more wins and secure our position, and close down the gap on league leaders B36.

NCrpJxS.png

In the summer window, Rúni Nielsen was poached by NSÍ, and it was important we brought people in to fill the void left by his departure. On that front, we signed two new players, Jann Martin Mortensen and Kristoffur Jakobsen.

sbn5aow.png

3JDWiqu.png

FC Suðuroy

2019 Youth Intake

5HSJFEK.png

Another new generation, another golden generation. That makes it three out of three for us, but given the relatively low quality of the players at the team, perhaps it is easier for the youth candidates to stand out?

LDYOX2s.png

The new batch don't look as good as recent years, but the levels of determination are seemingly improving this year, with two players having a fairly professional personality. Hopefully this is an ongoing trend in our youngsters.

Here's a look at the five candidates with a PPA of 4+ stars:

G8XGv8Q.png

Strong in the air, good levels of fitness, and pretty decent in the tackle. Clementsen will need to improve his positional sense and his determination, but training and tutoring should help bring those up. Has the base skills to be a first-teamer in the next year or so.

u3IE2Ze.png

Not the best stats, but he could be a decent defensive centre back, and I'll probably look to train him in that position. His low mentals are a concern.

3TuCPrp.png

Another defender who has a lot of work to do if he is to reach his potential.

QaHt1WF.png

A midfielder who looks better suited as an attacking playmaker rather than the ear-marked shadow striker. Needs to improve his teamwork, though.

02zVVYq.png

A goalkeeper who has a lot to do, esepcially with his Aerial Reach and Communication. I'll train him as a straight keeper, as opposed to a sweeper keeper.

FC Suðuroy

2019 - Race for Europe

Effodeildin

K9xugs5.png

As the season draws to a close, with four games remaining, we are 8 points off the pace with the league leaders, knowing that the title is realistically out of our reach this season.

However, we do still have the European spots to fight for, and with three home games coming up, we really need to make sure we get points of the board.

All contenders have a relatively simple run in, although HB (2nd) do play Víkingur Gøta (4th) in their next game, so someone is going to have to drop points.

Can we find a bit of form at this late stage, and push for Europe in our first season in the top flight?

FC Suðuroy

2019 - Race for Europe

Effodeildin

BPMNbvD.png

The first round of matches have been played, and we did what we needed to do, an impressive 3-0 victory over Klaksvíkar Ítróttarfelag

In the other games played, B36 beat 07 Vestur in the earlier match to open up a 8 point lead, and with just 9 remaining the play for, it would take a monumental slip up for them to miss out on the title.

The Víkingur Gøta 2-0 victory over HB allowed us to jump into second place, but with one point separating the three teams, it remains incredibly tight.

FC Suðuroy

2019 - Race for Europe

Effodeildin

TLSAw5F.jpg

HB take a point in their second game of the run in and - overnight at least - climb up to second place.

Victories for ourselves and Víkingur Gøta could see them drop to fourth place, however.

FC Suðuroy

2019 - Race for Europe

Effodeildin

bUgpguN.png

Disaster! A poor performance sees us slump to 0-1 home defeat against 07 Vestur, and with Víkingur Gøta picking up a 2-0 win, we find ourselves in 4th place, one point out of the European spots.

B36 wrapped up the league title with their 2-0 win over AB (FRO), so it is now down to us, Víkingur Gøta and HB to settle the continental qualification places, and after our home defeat, we have it all to do in the remaining two fixtures.

FC Suðuroy

2019 - Race for Europe

Effodeildin

KyqFNk4.png

We did what we needed, recording a 4-1 victory over AB (FRO), but victories for Víkingur and HB means that as we head into the final game of the season, we need either of the two teams to drop points, while we need to ensure we pick up a victory.

A draw for us against NSI and a defeat for HB against AB (FRO) will see us sneak into third place.

FC Suðuroy

2019 - Race for Europe

Effodeildin

It all comes down to this. After 26 games, and numerous highs and lows, it is now all down to 90 minutes of football. We head into the game against Nes Sóknar Ítróttarfelag knowing that even if we win, it still might not be enough, as if results don't go out way, we'll finish 4th regardless of how we do in our own victory. Prior to the match I held a team meeting and impressed upon the squad that, win lose or draw, we've had an incredible season and they can be proud. I wanted to send them out for the final game without added pressure or expectation, and even if we miss out on a European qualification spot, then it surely isn't the end of the world, and we can be very proud of our season.

Nes Sóknar Ítróttarfelag (NSÍ) vs FC Suðuroy

A1NfyZF.png

A brilliant match. With the chips down, the boys came through and secured a brilliant 2-0 victory over NSÍ, but as we know, if other results didn't go our way, it wouldn't be enough...

5TAYSE5.png

...but AB (FRO) did us a massive favour, holding our European race rivals HB to a 1-1 draw. HB took an early lead, but they weren't able to build on it, and AB (FRO) managed to get themselves back into the game and fought out a 1-1 draw.

Elsewhere, Víkingur also won their final match to ensure they finish second, but I didn't care. We'd manage to snatch a European spot at the death!

wRBxsOM.png

And here's  confirmation of the final league table, as we pinch 3rd place by just one point over HB, who will miss out on European football next year! It was a brilliant season, one where we were tipped to drop straight back into the second division, but we overcame the odds and expectations, and will be in the qualification rounds of the Europa League next year!

Archived