FM18: Athletic Club (Bilbao) - Los Leones

bowieinspace

3 hours ago, Chappy2509 said:

Second season in has any one had any luck retraining Williams to the complete forward role iduruz retired but it’s not go well so far 8 games no goals and a very low avergare rating .

Well in my save Williams is a 3.5star complete forward in the second season.

Currently rotating with Aduriz and guruzeta in front.

Try patiently playing him  he'll improve. Oh and playing him in front of Raul garcia seems to do wonders.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first season with Athletic not using a 4-2-3-1. I'm using Knap's Argus 3-4-3, and we won La Liga and the Europa League.

La Liga

1202351276_2017-18LaLigaTable.thumb.jpg.795970d7b20912a4a5566af45ce175a3.jpg

Europa League Group Stage & Knockout rounds.

520182441_2017-18EuropaLeague01Group.thumb.jpg.f47eb517bab7ec79608063936fced90e.jpg

576299223_2017-18EuropaLeague02Finals.thumb.jpg.1636ce16005745f51e73e67139c4a26a.jpg

Copa del Rey

1455567357_2017-18CopaDelRey.thumb.jpg.b18d2e0feee2a73fba9f39734ddd3224.jpg

Best XI

683678426_2017-18BestXI.thumb.jpg.129bfe3cd3a829f917dd0ce2684df232.jpg

Transfers

1037434948_2017-18Transfers.thumb.jpg.31744455544f45479c9c5d38b0997414.jpg

9 hours ago, Chappy2509 said:

Second season in has any one had any luck retraining Williams to the complete forward role iduruz retired but it’s not go well so far 8 games no goals and a very low avergare rating .

He played a blinder as a DLF-At when Aduriz retired for me, but then 2nd season he wasn't very good. Our goals dried up in general that season though - I think the AI figured out my Attacking / Very Fluid could be stopped if they just sat back as we had better results against top teams.

15 hours ago, Chappy2509 said:

For me he's not great as a forward, personally I'd lean towards playing him in a different role if you want to play him up there but obviously depends on your system. I think with Athetic's lack of striker options you need to make sure the wingers and midfielders provide a goal threat as Williams doesn't score enough from the centre. I like Williams on the right (or left as an inside forward), with a Raul Garcia up front in a DF type role.

I've had success with Sabin Merino up there as well, and I know others have picked up Jon Bautista and he's gone well

1 hour ago, bowieinspace said:

For me he's not great as a forward, personally I'd lean towards playing him in a different role if you want to play him up there but obviously depends on your system. I think with Athetic's lack of striker options you need to make sure the wingers and midfielders provide a goal threat as Williams doesn't score enough from the centre. I like Williams on the right (or left as an inside forward), with a Raul Garcia up front in a DF type role.

I've had success with Sabin Merino up there as well, and I know others have picked up Jon Bautista and he's gone well

For me, Iniaki has been silky smooth as a SS (a) w/ Roam From Position

1 hour ago, Chappy2509 said:

siting here watching the athletic game and all o can think is a lot of the youngster are underated in this game 

Yep, youth ratings have been pretty poor for quite a few years. Considering the amount of youth players who go on to play for Athletic's first team (or other La Liga clubs/Segunda clubs), you would expect youth ratings to reflect a big pool of players who could contribute to the first team in future years, with the vast majority only ever being good enough to be rotation/back up options and the odd one or two who become top level players. However I tend to find on FM with Athletic at the start you might get 1 or 2 who turn into good first team players or even beyond (sometimes they are overrated even), but the rest are just a waste. Compared to say an Ajax in game, where you go into Jung Ajax or the kids team and they're stacked with players who could go on to play for the first team. 

Kepa is a prime example...for years in FM he would never become that good and his variable PA in those years wasn't that high, but everyone could see he was likely to be world class in the future. Then you look at players like Yeray, Unai Nunez, and Inigo Cordoba who are now first team regulars...those guys would be lucky to get to 120CA in many previous FMs. Then you have current players like Nolaskoain, Inigo Vicente, Guruzeta and Azcona as examples who look set to either feature for the first team this year, will at some stage in the next 2 or so seasons, or are future stars who are rated so low that they would be lucky to even feature for Bilbao Athletic at their peak. You do obviously get the occasional highly rated youngster too...in recent FM editions VIllalibre, Unai Lopez for example have been arguably overrated. However the odd player with a high variable PA isn't the issue (both Villalibre and Lopez looked likely to become stars at various times, but haven't quite gotten there for various reasons), the problem is the lack of depth, where you get 1 or 2 potential stars and then 30 players who are straight terrible at the start of each game. 

I tend to start my save when the full game comes out rather than the beta so I can go in to the editor and do a better job with variable PA's. 

Shame we threw away the result vs Huesca today...shouldn't be doing that at home but Huesca played well. Positive signs under Berizzo though overall, more enjoyable than Ziganda!

4 hours ago, bowieinspace said:

Yep, youth ratings have been pretty poor for quite a few years. Considering the amount of youth players who go on to play for Athletic's first team (or other La Liga clubs/Segunda clubs), you would expect youth ratings to reflect a big pool of players who could contribute to the first team in future years, with the vast majority only ever being good enough to be rotation/back up options and the odd one or two who become top level players. However I tend to find on FM with Athletic at the start you might get 1 or 2 who turn into good first team players or even beyond (sometimes they are overrated even), but the rest are just a waste. Compared to say an Ajax in game, where you go into Jung Ajax or the kids team and they're stacked with players who could go on to play for the first team. 

Kepa is a prime example...for years in FM he would never become that good and his variable PA in those years wasn't that high, but everyone could see he was likely to be world class in the future. Then you look at players like Yeray, Unai Nunez, and Inigo Cordoba who are now first team regulars...those guys would be lucky to get to 120CA in many previous FMs. Then you have current players like Nolaskoain, Inigo Vicente, Guruzeta and Azcona as examples who look set to either feature for the first team this year, will at some stage in the next 2 or so seasons, or are future stars who are rated so low that they would be lucky to even feature for Bilbao Athletic at their peak. You do obviously get the occasional highly rated youngster too...in recent FM editions VIllalibre, Unai Lopez for example have been arguably overrated. However the odd player with a high variable PA isn't the issue (both Villalibre and Lopez looked likely to become stars at various times, but haven't quite gotten there for various reasons), the problem is the lack of depth, where you get 1 or 2 potential stars and then 30 players who are straight terrible at the start of each game. 

I tend to start my save when the full game comes out rather than the beta so I can go in to the editor and do a better job with variable PA's. 

Shame we threw away the result vs Huesca today...shouldn't be doing that at home but Huesca played well. Positive signs under Berizzo though overall, more enjoyable than Ziganda!

Loved yuri getting his first goal. . .

Is there any other youth prospects you think are underrated?

I tend to boost Guruzeta, Simon, Muñoz, Vicente, and Nolaskoain.

Oh yeah and a bunch of youngsters from other clubs. . .

8 hours ago, Purple Frog said:

Loved yuri getting his first goal. . .

Is there any other youth prospects you think are underrated?

I tend to boost Guruzeta, Simon, Muñoz, Vicente, and Nolaskoain.

Oh yeah and a bunch of youngsters from other clubs. . .

Azcona

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/08/2018 at 20:36, bowieinspace said:

Azcona

Thanks!

Not sure if you're still interested but I think the reason why La Liga tends to lag behind the prem in FM is the disparity in prize money.

If I'm not mistaken, the La liga prize money should be updated from 4million euros for 1st place to 40 million euros for 1st place and so on!

I've edited it using the pre game editor.

11 hours ago, Purple Frog said:

Thanks!

Not sure if you're still interested but I think the reason why La Liga tends to lag behind the prem in FM is the disparity in prize money.

If I'm not mistaken, the La liga prize money should be updated from 4million euros for 1st place to 40 million euros for 1st place and so on!

I've edited it using the pre game editor.

Is that a bug? 

2 hours ago, bowieinspace said:

Is that a bug? 

Well, La Liga signed a more equitable prize money deal a short time ago and I think FM just didn't implement it.

As far as I can understand, the original deal meant that Barcelona and Real Madrid got the lion's share regardless of position (this was implemented in the game through 'sponsorships' for the two clubs.)

This fits in with your observation that only those two clubs would end up succeeding.

So FM is a bit late at updating changes maybe?

6 hours ago, Purple Frog said:

Well, La Liga signed a more equitable prize money deal a short time ago and I think FM just didn't implement it.

As far as I can understand, the original deal meant that Barcelona and Real Madrid got the lion's share regardless of position (this was implemented in the game through 'sponsorships' for the two clubs.)

This fits in with your observation that only those two clubs would end up succeeding.

So FM is a bit late at updating changes maybe?

I'd say that should be put in the bugs forum and hopefully a developer or researcher can spot that and help.

Cant do much here

22 minutes ago, Jean0987654321 said:

I'd say that should be put in the bugs forum and hopefully a developer or researcher can spot that and help.

Cant do much here

Its possible to edit it manually through the Pre-game editor.

Advanced rules-prize money section.

But yes, I guess I should raise it up with the developers when fm19 comes out or something.

• 3 weeks later...

@IOA I just use it for players with rubbish potential that have come through the youth system to see out their contracts. Especially those who have negative personalities that I don't want to rub off on the guys I actually hope to use in the future. 

5 hours ago, IOA said:

Has anyone had their C team promoted to a playable league yet?

Just wondering whether or not to put any players in there...

Cheers,

It's never happened to me in probably 10 years of FM editions totaling perhaps over 100 seasons in game.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived