Help With My 5-3-2

Morning everyone just playing around with a 5-3-2 formation before fm2018 comes out as its my fave formation but hardly use it as I never seem to make it work so asking you guys for any tips,advice good or bad to make this work so hopefully could use it in fm 18.

Im Swansea in the prem my last 10 games read won 2 drew 6 lost 2 so its solid but not amazing my team is below

GK

cd-defend     cd-defend        cd-defend

wb-attack                                                              wb-support

dm-defend

cm-box to box                   cm-attack

dlf-support          poacher-attack

im playing either standard or control with fluid

Team Instructions are Tempo-normal; Mixed Passing, balanced width; Play out of defence; Team marking sometimes

many thanks

I covered this topic recently very in depth too, probably the most in-depth thing I’ve ever written. There is far too much to copy and paste into the thread though, but I’ll leave a link instead;

https://teaandbusquets.com/3-5-2-chronicles

Hopefully that will explain how it functions and what you can do to make it better etc. Use the ideas and principles in your own save :)

6 hours ago, Cleon said:

I covered this topic recently very in depth too

Good stuff, as usual. Sorry to move off topic, but at the end you wrote, "there could be potential issues with long shots. In fact I’ve already identified why in most cases but that’ll be for another article. Sometimes it’s down to the players and how rubbish they are and other times it can be down to the formation you face. This is why I’ll be talking about them in another article". Did you ever write that? I've always had trouble with long shots throughout FM17 - almost as if the 'shoot on sight' PI is enabled by default.

I suggest you watch out for the potential gap between your midfielders and your forwards. When I have used this formation, I have noticed a large gap, even when using a DLF(s) role. The midfielders just don't seem as advanced as they are in other formations. When I notice this occurring, I switch to using 2 CM + 1 AMC as my midfield three, and it more or less solves the gap issue.

Archived