DOF handling contract renewals = any good or financial suicide?

I'm wondering if the DOF is any good at renewing contracts or will he give them unrealistically high contracts and ruin your finances?

I wanted to ask first before trying myself and have my save ruined.

It's especially for the reserve team that I want him to do the contract renewals, but if he offers all players "15% wage rise every year" it's offcourse something I don't want and I will need to take this in my own hands.

However I would love it if he does the job "quite good". I don't need the best deals, as long as it's realistic what he does.

He does a decent job, but you can get much better deals if you handle it yourself.

One thing i noticed as a pattern is that minimum release clauses are somewhat pretty low. Also he is usually pretty generous with appearance fees.

Most of the time i let him negotiate contracts, but for crucial ones i always take matters into my hand. It results in quite a nice balance.

1 hour ago, DavyDepuydt1 said:

I'm wondering if the DOF is any good at renewing contracts or will he give them unrealistically high contracts and ruin your finances?

I wanted to ask first before trying myself and have my save ruined.

It's especially for the reserve team that I want him to do the contract renewals, but if he offers all players "15% wage rise every year" it's offcourse something I don't want and I will need to take this in my own hands.

However I would love it if he does the job "quite good". I don't need the best deals, as long as it's realistic what he does.

I've found DOF's generally do a decent job when it comes to negotiation.  There are times he may offer more than you expect but this is generally because the player/agent requested a higher amount than you perhaps expected.  There are also times when he can't reach an agreement with a player due to where he perceives his upper limit to be, sometimes you would be prepared to offer a little more to keep/sign a player.

What I would say though its worth trying the DOF because you can always back out of the deals.

If he is renewing a contract you can see what he offers straight away on the "Contract Offers" tab from the squad screen and cancel it if you don't like it.

If he is signing a player you can see from the transfer section and again cancel if you don't like it.

It can be risky. One times my best youth player in the team had last year on contract. I leave the negotiations to DOF. They renew the contract but with a ridiculous small release clause in it.

He can do a decent job for a talented youth players you dont count they will make it but want to keep them anyway just in case.

I think it also depends on the DOF himself. I've had a few that were hit or miss, don't know if there are hidden DOF attributes like "financial sanity" but I've had to take over contract renewals this go around because my wage budget has been blown up repeatedly by my DOF.

I'm not a fan

I used to have it, but found that he plonked too many of the "match highest earner clause" into contract renewals of star first teamers that don't draw a large salary (like a goalkeeper) that it crippled my financially when I offered the star striker a bumper new deal
It got pretty annoying when I had 7 of my first teamers all on the same wage because of it

edit: although I will stress this was in the first edition that the DoF was implemented in, so maybe it's been made more realistic since then

Archived