FM17 - Uni is over, time for a gap year!

VillaSmith

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

The league has a familiar look with Bayern so far clear.

It's bloody typical that their transition period had to end when I joined the league, it was wide open the last two seasonsĀ :(

Wpa5y8k.png

July - September 2023 / Pre-Season | Schalke 04

Ā 

Transfers

Out

BK6oMxO.png

No real major goings out really. Howedes retired and became a full-time coach after signing a player/coach contract last season. Llorente managed to impress at Besiktas on loan last season and I managed to shift him properly this time around. MerƩ was 5th choice CB so thought I'd get a bit of cash for him. Adam Svard did well at Union Berlin last season and I wanted to give him some opportunities this season, which allowed me to sell Rashford for a fair whack. The rest are mainly Schalke II/U19 players that I've cashed in on or loaned out for experience.

Ā 

In

Juan Ignacio MisuracaĀ - Ā£375k from Boca Juniors. A decent DM that was transfer listed at Boca, so thought I'd take a risk. Looks like he could be good DLP in the future, but for now, he's off to Schalke II and hopefully loaned somewhere.

Kenji NozakiĀ - Ā£525k from Freiburg. This guy came through at Freiburg in the last Youth Intake, and he looked decent so I signed him for the compensation fee. Looks like he could be a good player with the right tutoring, I would really like to see that Determination increase, but he's one for the future. Not to mention the potential revenue from shirt sales he could generate!

Nathan RaphaelĀ - Ā£17.5m from Santos. I wanted this guy in January to replace Meyer, but he was a bit too expensive then and I could get by having Omer Gungor as my back up. He looks a quality playmaker with tonnes of potential and is a ready made replacement for Asensio as he gets a bit older or if Barcelona decide to trigger his release clause, but he'll mainly be a rotation player for now. The fee could rise to Ā£23.5m depending on performances.

Satiro HadiĀ - Ā£8m from Groningen. My DoF tried to sign him in January but I felt he was a bit too expensive at Ā£15m. Then this summer I saw that Milan wereĀ after him and as I needed a DLP backup, I decided he'd be a good option. He looks a good player and quite well rounded, he'll be a decent option off the bench. I thought I might not get him as other teams were after him too and I didn't offer him a great contract, but he came back for an improved offer as I was his preferredĀ destination, which I'd never seen before! The fee could rise to Ā£14.5m depending on performances.

Luca BraultĀ - Ā£22.5m from Standard Liege. Noticed him when I faced Liege last year and liked the look of him, so I got my DoF to chase this guy as a backup/rotation for Zapata. A bit expensive but he's a good little player with good potential, so I'm not too bothered.

Patrick ArendĀ - Loan from Leipzig. Signed by DoF as I needed wingers. He looks okay, but he'll be a backup at most IĀ reckon. He can play all down the left which is a bonus though.

Kawayne GrantĀ - Loan (Ā£350k p/m) from Arsenal. Had an eye on him when I was England manager, a fairly well-rounded Striker/Winger that I thought would be a decent rotational player. Would've preferred something more permanent, but I'm actually struggling to find many wingers on this save that can be had for decent fees, but loans are okay for now.

Marvin Schwabe - Ā£11m from Koln. Fahrmann had demanded a transfer and Zieler was attracting attention so I got rid of them both and needed a good backup that I could relyĀ on if I needed him in the Champions League. Schwabe wanted to leave Koln and I couldn't let Bayern have him so I swooped in for him. He's a good GK and homegrown in Germany, he'll be a good understudy for BassolĆ©, and having someone of his quality may make me more willing to drop BassolĆ© if he hits bad form. The fee will rise to Ā£12m if he plays 50 games.

LeandraoĀ - Ā£3.7m from Fluminense. One from the future this guy, he's got great potential and was listed by Fluminense. Will look to loan him for now and maybe play him here and there.

Jonas BjorklundĀ - Ā£3.7m from Arsenal. I wanted to make his loan deal permanent to add some bodies to my midfield, and originally put my DoF on the case, but he offered Ā£31m originally, and Arsenal then demanded Ā£40m for him so I ended the chase. Then a bout two days later, Bjorklund was transfer listed for just Ā£.7m so I snapped him up. As far as I can tell, he didn't demand a transfer and he didn't kick up a fuss, Arsenal just suddenly realised they didn't want him, strange. Oh well, now I have a decent backup DM for quite cheap and on low wages.

Finn RemmersĀ - Ā£2.8m from Bayern. Signed by my HoYD. Looks decent and good potential, one for the future. Could rise to Ā£4.4m.

Ā 

Squad

AbgM8ov.png

I'm happy with my squad, a lot of signings but I've got quite a settled First XI which I think will help my start this season. As you can see Gudde and Yeboah are unhappy here, Gudde wanted to be more important to the squad and rejected my contract, and Yeboah wanted to leave for a bigger club. I've managed to just about sort that problem now, Gudde has a new contract and I've promised Yeboah I'll win trophies this season, else he's off to PSG it seems. Marco Garbe was also unhappy I didn't loan him out, but there isn't an option to say "I want to start you now". Luckily when he demanded transfer and I called him an unprofessional little dick, he backed down and was happy to stayĀ :brock:

Ā 

DFL-Supercup

eGYytPT.png

First competitive game of the season and I trounced Bayern to et my first silverware with Schalke, and my first club cup win! We dominated from start to finish, and really punished Bayern from set pieces, we were far and away the better side, leaving Bayern to only get a consolation in the 80th minute.

Ā 

DFB-Pokal

DHFw5R4.png

An awesome performance from my backup side. Svard was phenomenal all game and we played some absolutely lovely football. This sort of performance is what I like to see in this round.

Ā 

Champions League

OmD7cNE.png

Qb8a1FC.png

A tough group but I started off well. It was a tough game against Juve with both teams cancelling the other out for much of the game, but Grant came on as a late substitute and scored two well-taken goals to get me off to a good start for this Champions League campaign. I'm happy with that win as Juve are probably the best team in the group. Sociedad and Liege will be tough but I reckon I can get past them. The table after one game looks like this;

paArbcW.png

Ā 

Bundesliga

OwlJfcV.png

HLfg5dJ.png

So close to a perfect start to the season! We have been playing some lovely stuff so far this season, the advantages of starting the season with a settled starting XI. Marco Garbe has been playing CB for me this season and has been fantastic so far. Ellison started out injured, but I'm looking forward to his partnership with Garbe. Defensively we've been really sound and that's so refreshing after being good in attack last season but shaky in defence, although teams are sitting back against me a bit more now. Koln was a frustrating game, they took the lead fairly early then sat back and were really hard to break down. I did have my DM and DLP switched for this game which may have contributed to it. Oh well, top of the table after 7 games and playing really well, I'm delighted with my start to the season.

Even after sleeping on it, I'm still fuming about Gudde (henceforth known as "the Snake") leaving. All the Snake wanted in the summer to stay was to be a key player, and now he can't possibly wait a season or two for a Champions League medal! I can sympathiseĀ with John Gregory now when he said he could have shot Dwight Yorke. Forget if I had a gun, I wish I'd had a bloody rocket launcher.

I hope Bayern get absolutely humped in the knockout rounds now and that their form dips so much they only get Europa qualification. I think this has made me develop a genuine hate for BayernĀ :mad:

Wpa5y8k.png

October - December 2023 | Schalke 04

Ā 

Bundesliga

4o3UuUN.png

ddlgniR.png

I couldn't quite keep my form up, but it's still been a good few months and I go into the winter break in 2nd, only behind Dortmund on points difference. The biggest disappointment of this run of games is that I lost my two "title-deciders". Tactically I think I approached the games all wrong, trying too much to play on the front foot when I should have perhaps sat back a bit. Luckily, both were away from home, which means I'll play them at home in the run-in when the results will be more important. Frankfurt was also a bad result, which is currently the result keeping me from being the Herbstmeister. I gave away a penalty early on, which they scored, then they sat back for the rest of the game and were infuriatingly hard to breakdown. The highlight of the last few months has to be my 8-1 demolition of newly promoted Wolfsburg, which was highlighted itself by the Snake scoring a 35-yard free kick right into the top corner, it was a real beauty, the type of goal you'd pay Ā£78m for...

Ā 

DFB Pokal

ECaszD6.png

A comfortable win against Dusseldorf to put me into the 3rd round in which I prevented Dusseldorf from having a shot on target, which is becoming a bit of a hallmark of my team this season. The 3rd round was a tough draw against Leverkusen, which came shortly after relyingĀ on a late winner in the league game against them the weekend before to boot. I managed to take a comfortable 3-0 lead, but Leverkusen hit back in the last half an hour of the game, which gave me a bit of a fright late on, but I managed to see out the game in the end. Hoffenheim await in the Quarter Final.

Ā 

Champions League

8sM17UQ.png

DNEys9R.png

Through to the knockout rounds undefeated! Some confident performances throughout and I dominated all but the Juventus games really. Liege gave me a scare, taking the lead early in the second half, but I fought back for the draw. A fantastic start to my first Champions League campaign.

Ā 

TFyLXba.png

A tough draw against Arsenal for the first knockout round, I would have much preferred playing Feyenoord or Leverkusen, but at least it isn't Real Madrid. It will be tough but I'm confident I can give them some good games, and hopefully get through. I also hope Inter absolutely smash Bayern...

Ā 

Ā 

A big blow in the first half of the season was Marco Garbe breaking his leg in training. He was forming a great CB partnership with Ellison, but now he's out until April/May, so is pretty much out for the season :(

gHSBVvT.png

Also, my good start to the season earned me a new 5-year contract, I want to win a Bundesliga with Schalke, and maybe even see if I can get a Champions League, I'm building a great squad at the minute and I want to see how far I can take it.

Wpa5y8k.png

January 2024 / Transfer Update | Schalke 04

Ā 

Out

G2bM0nn.png

Only the one major transfer out that I've already mentioned, the rest are youth players loaned out for experience and Schalke II/U19 players sold with buy-back clause for much the same reasoning. Asensio wanted to leave this window too, but neither Real Madrid or Barcelona came in for him and he was then happy to stay. Werner also wanted to talk about leaving, but I managed to get him to sign a new contract with the promise of higher wages. Yeboah is still listed, but no-one came in for him either.

Ā 

In

pYH9IU4.jpg

Daniele Frasca - Ā£19m (Ā£33m) from Watford

Ā 8yHPpg9.jpgĀ 

Lisandro Nervis - Ā£12m (Ā£20m) from Vasco de Gama

7YC8nSo.jpg

Chris Trainor - Ā£15.75m from Celtic

Three first team signings using the Gudde money. Nervis was originally the intended replacement for Gudde, but then Frasca became available and he's a much more ready-made replacement. I reckon I'll loan out Nervis for now or use him as a rotational player as he has good potential, but not quite as good as Frasca. I'll admit I was scrambling a bit as the GuddeĀ stuff came out of nowhere and I wasn't prepared for it. Chris Trainor was signed by my DoF, as going into January, Ellison was my only fit CB and Zapata was forced to play in defence for a few games. I tried to bring in Matip, but he wanted Ā£110k p/w and I couldn't give a backup that much. Trainor looks a decent find though and has made a fairly comfortable start, he's also now the most expensive Northern Irish player ever.

Ā 

oOGS6SJ.jpg

Steve Chalmers - Ā£575k from Hamilton

ATekddL.jpg

Matthew Lloyd - Free Transfer from FFA COE

Ā 

Two youth signings that I've loaned straight out for first team football. Lloyd was a bit of a risk-free punt whilst Chalmers seems to have quite a bit of potential about him and I'd had him lined up for a while. Hopefully both can kick on whilst out on loan.

Wpa5y8k.png

January - March 2024 | Schalke 04

Ā 

Bundesliga

01aZilJ.png

shggqI3.png

An okay couple of months that could have, and probably should have, been a lot better. With Dortmund initially falling out of the title race and Bayern slipping up, I had an opportunity to run clear at the top of the table, but I kept slipping up myself, unable to put teams to the sword or break down defensive teams. At the end of March my first Title Decider of the run in reared it's head. I'd slipped behind Bayern but before the game had managed to get ahead on goal difference, so it was a huge game and my players really stepped up to the plate. It was a confident performance and we prevented Bayern from creating chances. We were on top for much of the game and played some absolutely lovely stuff, which was great considering the stuttering form beforehand. Bayern drew their next match giving me an opportunity to get a decent lead andĀ I then went and lost at Stuttgart which blew the title race right back open and allowed Dortmund back into the race. It's frustrating but we're in a good position and just need to kick on in the last few games whilst trying not slip up to let Dortmund or Bayern sneak by.

Ā 

DFB Pokal

4gsyBAt.png

A disappointing end to my cup run, which is really frustrating since I wanted to win this and had a real opportunity to do so. It was a really frustrating game, we dominated the entire game and then Hoffenheim got one chance in the 81st minute, which they promptly stuck away to knock me out. With Bayern being the only "big" side left in the competition, this was a really good opportunity for silverware, but I just couldn't take it. There's always next year.

Ā 

Champions League

L16JC8w.png

The tie was much closer than the final aggregate score would suggest. The first leg was even but for two separate two-minute periods in which Arsenal managed to slice through me with ease and score twice both times. We took the lead and I was really hopeful at first, but the task soon became quite daunting. We started off the second leg fantastically and looked like we might get back into it, cutting Arsenal apart with the ease they cut me apart, but Firmino nullified my away goal in the 15th minute and then dashed my hopes in the 50th minute. After it got to 3-2 I just couldn't find a way back into the game and the dream was over.

Ā 

Youth Intake

mJ28bHr.png

KE20IL5.jpgĀ AsyfRce.jpg

Another decent Youth Intake this year. Bjorn Dau is supposedly a Once in a Generation player, but I just don't see it. He is only 14 so perhaps I'm being a tad harsh, but he doesn't have anything that particularly stands out just yet, maybe with the right tutoring he'll come good. Jesse Erhardt is the other good player from this cohort, and I'm much more excited about him. Good technique and technical ability, nice mental attributes and he's already decent physically, I'm looking forward to how he develops. I think I need to get rid of his Dives into Tackles trait, but other than that I like the look of him.

Ā 

WGTi69n.png

Also, February saw a milestone I haven't achieved thus far on this save, 100 games at a single club! It was celebrated with a big win against Werder Bremen and look forward to many more!

Wpa5y8k.png

April - June 2024 / Season Review | Schalke 04

Ā 

Bundesliga

s9FUUUI.png

KsSWklz.png

r78BEr0.png

Ā 

It was a close-run thing coming down to the last day, but a comfortable performance at home to Wolfsburg secured me the title, and Schalke's first everĀ Bundesliga win! I had to win almost every game as both Dortmund and Bayern pushed me to the end. I thought I might throw it away after losing to HSV and then letting a 4-0 lead against Dortmund slip to 4-3, I was sure it would end 4-4 or 4-5 and end my title hopes. Fortunately, we managed to hold on and put on some really confident and commanding performances befit the status of Champions! I'm delighted to get my first Top Flight Title, and I can't wait for next season now. I reckon if I can keep hold of my key players and add a few new faces, I can retain the title and venture further into the Champions League. My immediate focus for now though is to win a DFB Pokal. It's a competition I could have won each of the last two seasons and has eluded me thus far, and I want to get my hands on it.Ā 

Ā 

Awards and Squad

Ii5E6Po.pngĀ Fumogsr.png

qiRANtI.png

7nkKlfV.png

Two Manager of the Year gongs for me this seasonĀ :cool:Ā But my player's missed out on the other awards, with Yeboah coming in second for both Player of the Year awards. Four players featured in the two Team of the Year awards too, which were both the same. The lack of individual awards is a testament to my lack of reliance on single players this season, with Yeboah, Werner and Asensio not being quiteĀ asĀ spectacular as last season, but still having great seasons, whilst the team effort was brilliant. My defence was more impressive this season with Garbe leading the way despite missing half the season with his leg break, and the defenceĀ all around being quite formidable. Frasca stepped into the GuddeĀ shaped hole fantastically, and with my first XI mostly staying injury free, with the exception of my defensive crisis in January, there was little room for my fringe players to get games, but they still mostly impressed when relied upon.

Ā 

Key Players

5. Marco AsensioĀ - Another great season from the Spaniard and he was rightfully aggrieved when he got left out of Spain's Euro 2024 squad. I dunno what I'd do without Asensio, he's become so important to my team, I can't believe he only cost me Ā£15m, thatĀ seems an absolute bargain now! As I mentioned before, not quite as spectacular as last season, but still ruddy good. He still chipped in with goals and lots of assists, proving vital when I needed him most.

4. Timo WernerĀ - Another good season from Werner, although the stats flatter him a little. Werner was much less consistent this season, scoring in flurries and going missing at times, becoming very infuriating throughout the season. Still, I can't argue with 30 goals and 13 assists. He did lead the line well, but I think he needs a bit more pressure for his starting place, as whilst Svard played well this season, the inconsistency of youth meant I couldn't drop Werner for long stretches to rely on him. One of Dortmund's 30+ goal strikers is somewhat available currently, I might try for him to provide some competition.

3. Fernando ManjarrĆ©sĀ - A storming season from the Colombian full-back, chipping in with both goals and assists, and some of those goals were belters too! ManjarrĆ©s is steadily improving and fast becoming one of my most important players. Comfortable in defence and bombs forward exceptionally well providing a great outlet on the right-wing. He seems a steal now at Ā£17.25m and I'm hoping he stays at Schalke for many years to come, and with Schalke being a favoured club for him, I'm sure he will.

2. Marco GarbeĀ - The only new face to my key players this season, and that's even with a leg break in December. Garbe formed a magnificent partnership at the back with Ellison this season and has the hallmark of being a ready-made, long-term replacement for Schalke stalwart Benedikt Howedes. It's a testament to his performances that he's one of my key players despite missing most of the season, but he was truly fantastic. He came off the bench against Leverkusen and started against Wolfsburg during the run in and looked decent still, so hopefully the leg break won't have affected him too much, but hopefullyĀ over pre-seasonĀ I can get those physical attributes back up a bit.

1. Richard YeboahĀ - With injuries, interest from Europe's elite and a transfer request hanging over him all season, Yeboah was magnificent even if he didn't quite hit the numbers of last season. A massive threat from any of the front three positions, he is an immense player,Ā you can tell when he's missing from the squad, and there's no way I'm letting him leave for less than Ā£100m. The makings of a true Schalke legend, he was happy with the League win and withdrew his transfer request, hopefully, he can stay fit next season and I can see what else he can bring to the table.

Ā 

A phenomenal season. I don't what to say other than that. We were fantastic. Now the goal is to cement our place at the top and turn our attentions to Europe and the cups too. The current squad has a lot of quality in the starting positions but relies on potential for the fringe players, I need quality there too to keep my First XI's feet to the fire to ensure consistent performances. But I reckon with the right signings I can have an even better season next year, I can't wait :DĀ 

DUXwLL9.png

XD6U49J.png

Interesting developments over in Spain, for different reasons. In Madrid we have AtlĆ©ti sacking the man that has turned them into one of the best teams in the world, AtlĆ©ti are no longer the other good club in Spain, they're truly one of Europe's elites vying with Man Utd for top dog in the world in terms of reputation, and it's all down to Simeone. Under his tenure, they've wonĀ 5 of the last 11 titles (the three previous seasons in a row), won a Champions League, wonĀ multiple cups, reducedĀ El Clasico to a sideshow and turned AtlĆ©ti into Spain's richest club, yet finishing 1 point behind champions Real Madrid was enough to get rid of AtlĆ©ti's most successful manager and the man turning them into what they are, it's like if Man Utd sacked Ferguson when he lost the title to Blackburn or Arsenal. Meanwhile, in Catalunya, Barcelona finally get rid of the man slowly killing the club. Enrique started off well at Barca, winning 4 titles in his first 5 seasons (2 of the first 3 ingame), but since then it's been a slow decline. Reliance on an aging MSN, going from title challengers to 10-15 points behind the Madrid sides to last season finishing 7th, 30 points from the title. Enriques reign could perhaps be characterised with Idrissa Gueye, who Barca signed in 2018 from Championship side Everton. A decent player for sure, but nowhere near Barcelona standard. As the core of the team got older or left for greener pastures, and their replacements being distinctly not Barca standard, Barcelona haveĀ fallen from grace. So it's a surprise it's taken so long to get rid of Enrique, failing to challenge for so long would surely not be tolerated at Barcelona. Oh well, he has bit the bullet now though.

Ā 

Both are very tempting, but I won't be chasing either job, I'm happy at Schalke, but it'll be food for thought if one of them approaches me. Ancelotti is linked with both jobs so perhaps he'll finally leave Bayern, but with his Real Madrid history, he might not go for them either.

12 hours ago, deltablue said:

Well done taking the title right at the end.

Ā 

9 hours ago, john1 said:

Congrats on winning the title :cool:

I would go for AtlĆ©tico Madrid job :thup:Ā 

Cheers guys :) I just about managed to hang on.

Ā 

I considered going for the AtlĆ©tico job, but wanted to stay with Schalke so didn't apply and neither of them even considered me for an interview :( Ā AtlĆ©tico went for Allegri from Leverkusen, and Barcelona took Ancelotti from Bayern. Bayern gave me an interview but didn't give me the job as I demanded more Transfer and Wage Budgets, although I would have rejected them anyway. Now I haveĀ to deal with Conte at Leverkusen and Klopp at Bayern, some stiff competition this year.

Wpa5y8k.png

July - September 2024 / Pre Season | Schalke 04

Ā 

Transfers

Out

IcolmM1.png

Not much in terms of outgoings this season, mainly just loaning out youth players. I managed to make a bit of cash through Santos, Rudiger, and Hadi, but all three didn't feature too prominently last season or in my plans for this season, so I cashed in. I also loaned out Woodland as he wanted more first team football and I didn't want to lose him, he also needed time to develop so loaning him out was best for everyone.

Ā 

In

ubHTuZl.jpgĀ 9xLBss4.jpgĀ OLR873e.jpg

tyuN11D.jpgĀ Q9fOglD.jpgĀ 7EKULyq.jpg

izjjQhF.jpg

I signed seven youth players this window, mostly cherry picking players from other German teams' Youth Intake's, plus Braune who was signed by my HoYD. I spent about Ā£5.5m on the compensation fees and my HoYD spent Ā£2.9m on Braune. I'm most excited about Neuhaus, and if it wasn't for Germany's rules on U17 players, he'd be in my squad as a back up for sure, he looks a real gem.

Ā 

Wim VerhelstĀ - Free Transfer from Waasland-Beveren. A bit of a punt this signing. He's got decent potential but is a tad old to reach it, but he was running down his contract in Belgium so I took the chance. I've loaned him out for now and will see how he develops.

Milan KolarĀ - Ā£15m from Sparta Prague. I've been tracking Kolar for a couple years, and with Hadi out the door and my hoping that Nervis would be loaned out, I bought Kolar to be my backup DLP. He looks very good for an 18-year-old, and hopefully, he can make an impact. Could rise to Ā£19m.

Lionel Christopher Werlemen - Ā£35m from Man Utd. My third time signing Werlemen, and this time it's permanent! I wanted more strength in depth on my wings and Werlemen only had a year left on his contract, so I got him at a decent price. He's played well for me before and has improved a bit further since I loaned him.

Klevis HoxhaĀ - Ā£73m from Bayern. A BIG signing, and one I made to send a message to the league, and also get revenge for Gudde. Hoxha is one of Germany's brightest prospectsĀ and a Bayern youth prospect. Him and Yeboah on the wings could be deadly and whilst the huge fee is a risk, I think he'll be worth it.

Tommy AllenĀ - Loan (Ā£175k p/m) from Chelsea. With Rudiger gone I felt I could do with a 5th choice CB, so I got Allen on loan as I have youth players coming through that I want to play, but are too young right now so a permanent option wasn't really needed. Allen will mainly beĀ injury cover this season.

Alberto HirtĀ - Loan (Ā£180k p/m) from Man Utd. After spending Ā£135m and my coffers being a bit empty, I realised I hadn't replaced Woodland yet. Hirt was available for loan and he looks aĀ quite good option until I can bring through a youth player or buy someone next season.

Ā 

Squad

zhL5byg.png

Only a few signingsĀ with the odd youth player promoted. Much like last season I've pretty much kept the same First XI, with Hoxha probably rotating with Laenen. Winning the Bundesliga last season has kept my squad happy with none angling for moves this season. The squad is very settled and I'm very happy with how it's looking.

Ā 

DFL-Supercup

FaULH7j.png

Two Supercups in a rowĀ :brock:Ā And my word, what a spectacle to start the season :eek:Ā The game was fairly even and although we raced into a 4-0 lead, we went in at half time with the score at 4-2. The team was devastated by the Olympics with 7 players missing, which was mostly my German contingent, making me think the German U23 manager is a Bayern fan. This forced me to play some backup players, with Werlemen and Laenen, in particular, seizing their opportunity to impress, getting 3 goals and 5 assists between them. A great way to start the season, and I was very happy to see that my rotational players could beat Bayern convincingly, although the defensive performance was a worry.

Ā 

DFB-Pokal

RNDSscT.png

A good start to my DFB Pokal campaign, with a mass of changes from the Supercup, although due to the Olympics, players like Laenen were forced to play. Wiesbach didn't have a shot all game and we camped on the edge of their box, the sort of commanding performance you'd expect at this stage.

Ā 

Champions League

p6oxGYa.png

A decent group that could have been easier, could have been harder. Man City are the obviously tough team in the group, although I could have had AtlƩtico which would have been bad. Shakhtar and Celtic are tricky but I reckon I can do well against them so I should progress.

Ā 

vGEZEdV.png

5BlUNt6.png

A tough start to the group away at Man City, and they showed their quality by brushing me aside with ease. Insaurralde was back to terrorise me after getting 35 goals for Dortmund last season, notching himself two goals, and although it was 1-0 at half time, City scored twice within two minutes shortly after half time to kill off the game. Celtic are next with the two Shakhtar games afterwards, which I need to get good results in before I face Man City again. Hopefully the home game will be more in my favour so I can nab 1st place for an easier knockout draw, but I need to beat the other two first.

Ā 

Bundesliga

We3V62L.png

YcK8ng0.png

A perfect start the league campaign, especially easing past Dortmund in the opening game! We've been sensational in attack, scoring at will with Hoxha clicking into the front three straight away. Werner is back to his best after his inconsistent form last season. Quite a few players a very tired already however, as Ellison, Garbe and Yeboah all played in both Euro24 and the Olympics, so they haven't had a rest since the last winter break. The one negative has been my defending, we haven't been able to keep many clean sheets, which I think is due to my players being knackered from the summer of football as a lot of those goals come late on in the games. Still, a 100% start is nothing to sniff at.

5 hours ago, john1 said:

I look the look of promising youngsters you have brought in :cool:Ā Superb start to the season barring Man City defeat.

It's a decent little batch, hopefully it'll sort out my lack of Germans and Homegrown players soon enough.

Wpa5y8k.png

October - December 2024 | Schalke 04

Ā 

Bundesliga

d6NgyRF.png

2SUDUNf.png

Whilst I couldn't keep up the 100% record, my form to finish the first half of the season was magnificent, leaving me far and away at the top of the table, with 11 points between me and Klopp's Bayern leaving me as this seasons Herbstmeister. The defensive side was a bit iffy in the first few games, but we managedĀ to turn that around over the last couple months to give us a bit of stability at the back and less reliance on just outscoring teams. Stand out performances are obviously the 8-0 v Bayern I've already mentioned and the 7-0 v Koln. Both games we were fantastic going forward, tearing the defencesĀ to shreds with ease and creating chances at a whim, it was two truly phenomenal performances, which is kind of funny since they both came in my worst run of form so far this season.

Ā 

DFB PokalĀ 

ft6uzqn.png

A convincing win against a side that has given me some tricky games so far. We dominated for much of the match and comfortably see ourselves into the 3rd Round, in which HSV await us.

Ā 

Champions League

fqmavG3.png

ZSWE6fc.png

After a disappointing start at Man City, I managed to turn it around and finish without losing another game. We dominated the rest of the games, even the City game, and we can count ourselves slightly unlucky that we couldn't quite get 1st place. It was quite heartening to see the turnaround after that initial loss as I was worried that I could trip up a little in this tough group.

Ā 

fHWuGJ7.png

A decent draw against Inter for the next round that is a middle of the pack type draw. I would've preferred Marseille or Lyon but I avoided the Madrid sides and Man Utd which I can be thankful of. It's a little hard to judge where Inter are as a team as Juve have fallen off so much in Serie A, but they find themselves in 5th currently so they may be a bit fragile and there for the taking.

Wpa5y8k.png

January 2025 / Transfer Update| Schalke 04

Ā 

Out

WDMO1lz.png

Wasn't planning on doing much in the transfer window this winter, but Laenen asked to leave for PSG as they could offer more money. When I asked what sort of wages he wanted, he quoted me Ā£200k p/w, so I let PSG trigger his release clause. It's a big loss, but with Hoxha now in the team, it's not as big as it could've been. It also recoups some of my summerĀ spending too, which is a small positive. Leandrao was loaned out again after coming back from CearĆ” so he could continue getting first team football. Kai Wellers is a CB who broke into my first team back in November, but I took the opportunity to get him more first team action when Sturm Graz came in.

Ā 

In

aFG5WJJ.jpg

Juan Carlos Rey - Loan (Ā£475k p/m) from Real Madrid

Ā 

I hadn't planned on bringing anyone in, but Laenen forced my hand. After some failed attempts at getting someone permanently, Rey became available for loan, so I brought him back in. He's gotten quite a lot better since I first joined Schalke, and I know he can perform well in this system, so it seemed a great fit. Lots of pace and good dribbling, crossing and first touch, he's practically a left footed Laenen.

On 24/08/2017 at 22:43, Nobby_McDonald said:

Very well done Smithy. Bayern dominance is dead.

Cheers :) It is as long as Klopp is in charge.

1 hour ago, john1 said:

Some big scoring wins :cool: Not bad draw against Inter Milan :thup:Ā 

And there's more to comeĀ :cool:

Wpa5y8k.png

January - March 2025 | Schalke 04

Ā 

Bundesliga

8o9Is42.png

w3VrAZq.png

A good run of form to keep my position at the top of the pack with Europa League football confirmed, although my loss in the away leg of the Revier Derby sees Dortmund close the gap ever so slightly. Another big win at the expense of another Munich side, this time 1860 were on the receiving end. That game was also Rey's second dƩbut for Schalke, and what a game he had with 4 goals. We're really getting into our stride now, solid defensively and lethal in attack, and we've been playing some fantastic stuff to boot. Hannover and HSV were disappointments however, I still struggle to completely deal with teams that sit back a defend in a compact way, but we're getting better. Elsewhere, Bayern are out of the race now, and Klopp is under immense pressure, I'm so happy Ancelotti left for Barca :D

Ā 

DFB Pokal

w6hQAnQ.png

Two very convincing wins to get me through to the Semi Final. HSV was a slightly worrying tie as they had frustrated me in the first half of the season win in Hamburg and then would go onto again in the Home league draw too, but in the end, we dominated from start to finish and controlled the game with ease. Disappointing that their two shots on target resulted in goals, but when you score six you can't really complain. As for the Bayern gameĀ :lol:Ā Pretty much a repeat of the 8-0, but we took it easy on them, I don't think Klopp could have taken another embarrassment. The Semi Final presents me with another Revier Derby at home to Dortmund, at tough ask to get to the final.

Ā 

Champions League

QImqyrm.png

A good win at home in the first leg, keeping Inter from threatening the goal and creating good chances. Inter though were very good defensively and limited the quality of my chances, but Werner managed to break through early on to give me the lead going into the second leg. Whilst I controlled possession in the second leg, Inter were much better and controlled a lot of the game. Fortunately, we took an early lead to get the all important away goal but that looked as it wouldn't save me as Inter got into the game and went 2-1 ahead, and looked to make it 3-1 with good chances. Just before the hour mark though Yeboah levelled the score and took all of Inter's momentum out of the game, leaving them to get two more in the last half hour. We held out and booked our place in the Quarter Final!

X29LW6x.png

Probably the best draw I could have hoped for. Marseille knocked Fiorentina out in the last round and are in poor shape in Ligue 1, sitting in 8th. They have some good players though so I can't take them for granted,Ā but I definitely avoided the better teams this round.

Ā 

Youth Intake

xBld34z.png

U6pqOl0.jpgĀ hXKlaau.jpgĀ HTgKy3d.jpg

zof2Umo.jpg

An okay intake this year, with Bittel supposedly the best of the bunch, but I'm not sure about him. Blan looks a good player, while Berning and Manga look okay too, but I think I have a lot of better players in my youth team currently, so they're down the pecking order progression wise.

Wpa5y8k.png

April - June 2025 | Schalke 04

Ā 

Bundesliga

0kkjpOe.png

q1VeOx3.png

A shaky end to the season, but my substantial lead meant that I got over the line with 3 games to go. Two in a row! I ended up playing my reserves in the last few games to keep everyone fit for my other competitions, which partly explains my somewhat poor end. My losses to Leipzig and Bayern allowed Dortmund to begin to threaten my position, and I was worried that I might let my lead slip. Luckily Dortmund failed to win in their last 4 games, 7 games in all competitions and I ended up with quiteĀ a convincing lead. A fantastic season with some absolutely amazing results, I'm really staking my claim as Germany's top dog. Klopp's Bayern managed to end the season with good form but were still a long way off, with Klopp in danger of getting the sack. If Bayern do sack him I reckon Dortmund will be my biggest challenge next season as Bayern got better as the season went on, and another transition season could see them flounder further. I'm confident of keeping the team together, and I don't think much is needed to challenge again. I'll probably look to blood some more youth players next season as well.

Ā 

DFB Pokal

aNwYryy.png

A massive win to get to my first DFB Pokal Final, and a huge psychological blow for the title challenge too. We were phenomenal in this game, tearing Dortmund apart at will and playing some lovely stuff. Rey was amazing, with one of his occasional goal gluts from the wing, but my whole team was great. Defensively we were great too, only allowing 3 shots and preventing Dortmund from ever presenting a real threat. RB Leipzig are my final hurdle between me and finally getting that trophy.

Ā 

Champions League

hHUeCUJ.png

A solid draw in the first leg got me my away goal, and I really should have won that game, especially since Marseille had only theĀ one shot on target. The second leg was a less dominating performance, but it was still a breeze. We comfortably eased past them, they didn't threaten me and I controlled the game from start to finish.

Ā 

ymWiSpx.png

A solid win in the first leg in a tricky Revier Derby. The game was very constrained and nervy, with neither team really playing their best stuff. Dortmund got an early penalty but BassolĆ© managed to tip it wide to prevent the away goal being scored. The second half we managed to break through with a penalty of our own and then gave ourselves a good lead for the second leg with Brault's late finish. The second leg was a different story, much like the DFB Pokal game I completely controlled the game and scored almost at will, putting me in Schalke's first ever Champions League final! To be fair, I've had a fairly fortunate run to the final, I've avoided the big boys thus far, but that ends as I face Man Utd in the final, who have justĀ won the Premier League for the sixth year in a row and are by far the best team in the world under Mourinho's stewardship. It's gonna be a tough game, but I'm gonna try my hardest to win, and hopefully I'll have given myself the chance to win a treble!

ZY6r6S0.png

Ā 

Thank you for joining us today at Berlin's Olympiastadion for the FinalƩ to the German season, as RB Leipzig face Bundesliga Champions Schalke 04 in the Final of the DFB Pokal! Kick off is moment's away, let's take a final look at the line ups.

Ā 

iBcz4bW.png

Ā 

First, let's have a look at the "home" team for this tie, RB Leipzig. Leipzig make two changes to the side that lost to Stuttgart last weekend. Ā Ochs comes in for Ricardo Rodriguez at Left Back whilst Argentine Rodrigo Altuna drops to the bench to be replaced by Bernardo in Defensive Midfield. Leipzig come into this game in poor form, only picking up one point from their last three league games to finish what has been a poor season for them as they finished 8th and out of the European places, and Leipzig will see this game as an opportunity to play Europa League football next season. Leipzig will look to play with some width in this game whilst trying to combine some solid defensive shape with fast counter attacking football. ZĆ© Gomes is the main threat in this Leipzig side, totalling 27 goals this season, whilst Buitink will pose a threat from the wing that Schalke manager Sam Smith is all too familiar with as Buitink's goals were in part behind the Englishmen's sacking from the England national team. Stark will lead his team as usual.

Ā 

Jga7Dhc.png

Bundesliga champions Schalke make eleven changes to the side that lost to Wolfsburg on the final day of the season, with a much more familiar feel to the line up than the side Schalke fans have been treated to over the last few weeks. Schalke will look to use their terrifying front three who have a staggering total of 81 goals and 57 assists between them, leaving Leipzig with a tough challenge on their hands just to keep them quiet, and that's without considering the rest of the team! Schalke have been fantastic this season, playing some lovely possession based football tempered with some explosive attacking moves, and will look to impose themselves in this final and get a domestic double.

Ā 

Leipzig will fancy themselves for this game as they are one of two teams to have prevented Schalke from beating them this season, with only Manchester City managing to do so in the Champions League group stage. Leipzig will also see this as an opportunity to arrest their decline from the last few seasons as they finished lower for the fourth season in a row in the Bundesliga and will want to regain the trophy they won three years in a row between 2020 and 2022. Schalke haven't won this competition since 2011 and has long eluded manager Sam Smith in his early days at the club and they'llĀ want to earn their first domestic double since 1937 in the pre-Bundesliga era. A great prospect of a final for sure.

Ā 

Schalke have the form and come into the Final as heavy favourites, but Leipzig have the upper hand in games between the two this season, winning at Home and drawing in Gelsenkirchen. Schalke though are on a high after winning the Bundesliga for the second year in a row and reaching the final of the Champions League.

Ā 

The teams are out and waiting for kick off and we're now only moments away!

5th Minute:Ā Ā BernardoĀ dispossesses Frasca and launches a ball forward for Buitink to chase, but ManjarrĆ©s easily cut's it out and plays a simple pass back to BassolĆ©. BassolĆ© passes forward so Garbe and Ellison can enjoy some passing between them, and Garbe now plays it to Asensio who brings it into the Leipzig half. Asensio past Ć­talo and plays a lovely ball down the left for Yeboah to chase, and Weiser is in no man's land whilst Yeboah gets into the box and to the goal line, where he cuts it back to the expectant TimoĀ Werner. Werner! And he hits it straight into the arms of Leno from the edge of the six-yard box. A comfortable save in the end but Schalke look dangerous early on here.

12th Minute:Ā Schalke enjoying some nice possession here as the ball works it's way to Frasca. Frasca plays a one-two with Hoxha on the edge of the box. Frasca then finds AsensioĀ with a low pass who plays it Yeboah on the edge of the D. Yeboah strikes! And it's blocked by Stark, but it falls to Hoxha! And a brilliant save from Leno! Hoxha hit it first time across Leno, but he pulls out a great save to deflect the ball away, and Leipzig eventually manage to scramble the ball away. Schalke are already knockingĀ heavily on the door.

23rd Minute:Ā Hoxha brings it forward through the middle for Schalke, but Miele gets the tackle in and looks to start a counter attack with a pass out wide to Brays on the right wing. Brays beats Beneags to the ball and dribbles inside past him to then lay the ball off to Bernardo. Bernardo holds the ball up and then plays it wide to Weiser. Weiser plays a nice weighted ball for Brays into the box, and Brays cuts it back to Miele, who shoots! And BassolĆ© turns the ball wide for a Leipzig corner. Leipzig are growing into this game and that was a great opportunity to take the lead.

24th Minute:Ā Buitink prepares to take the corner from Leipzig's left wing. And his left footed drive aimed for Gomes is cut out at the front post by Frasca, but only as far as Brays 35 yards out. Brays plays it back out wide to Buitink who gets a second chance to cross and... GOMES!!! ZĆ© Gomes beats Ellison in the air as BassolĆ© makes the mistake to come and claim the cross, leaving Gomes to nod into an empty net! Wild celebrations from the Leipzig players and fans as they take first blood in this final.Ā Leipzig 1 - Schalke 0!

29th Minute:Ā Buitink puts this free kick into the box from the left wing. And Garbe gets his head to it but only as far as Brays who marauds into the box, but Werner tracks back to win the ball back and lays it off to Benegas. Benegas now triesĀ the back pass and BassolĆ© quickly moves it on to Ellison, who plays it wide to ManjarrĆ©s. ManjarrĆ©s is held up by Buitink but he manages to get the ball down the right wing to Hoxha, who knocks it back to Frasca. Frasca moves the ball to Asensio who spots Hoxha's run in behind the defence and plays a lovely 30-yard pass. Hoxha charges into the box on the right-hand side, and he cuts it back for WERNER!!! A brilliant finish across the goal into the top left corner and Schalke have drawn level in a matter of minutes!Ā Leipzig 1 - Schalke 1.

35th Minute:Ā Leipzig pass the ball around the back four, and it makes its way to Weiser. Weiser takes his time, but no-one is making runs for him, and he's caught by Yeboah! Yeboah dribbles inside with the ball and plays a one-two with Werner. Yeboah brings it further inside and plays a ball behind the defence to Hoxha waiting in the box. Hoxha turns. And he blasts over! Ā He could try out for Germany's Rugby team with that three pointer! Leipzig are let off for their lapse in concentration there.

41st Minute:Ā  Asensio wins the ball back for Schalke in the midfield and Werner falls on the loose ball. He plays a short pass to Frasca who then lays it off to Asensio. Asensio brings it forward and then plays it to Yeboah who cuts inside. He plays a one-two with Werner, and finds himself in space on the edge of the box. Yeboah shoots, but he slices it wide. Schalke really upping the ante here and Leipzig are given another let off.

Half Time:Ā Manuel Grafe blows up for half time and we're all even in this DFB Pokal Final. Leipzig took the lead but Schalke responded within minutes. It's been a fairly even affair so far, but Schalke are currently edging the stats and wereĀ in the ascendancy as the half came to a close and they'll want to continue that into the next half. Both managers will likely look to whip their team into shape at half time and weĀ can certainly expect what has been a good game so far to continue when the teams return.

50th Minute:Ā Asensio quickly takes a free kick from 35-yards out and pass down the left of the box to Yeboah. Yeboah has the opportunity to cross but it's deflected off of Weiser towards goal, but Leno can turn it round for a corner. Weiser was almost left very red-faced there! Asensio comes across to take this corner, and he aims it at the penalty spot but it peters out into nothing as LenoĀ comes and claims it.

52nd Minute:Ā Hoxha is brought down by Weiser on the edge of the box and now Schalke have a really dangerous free kick now as Asensio stands over this. Asensio steps up to strike the ball! But it whistles over the bar and Leipzig are spared.

53rd Minute:Ā Schalke have a corner now on their right wing. Asensio with an in swinger to the front post for Garbe! Garbe can only hit the side netting, but he was allowed a free header there by Leipzig, who are living dangerously now allowing Schalke to control this game.

57th Minute:Ā Leipzig look to attack here down the right now. Weiser plays it to Miele. Miele brings the ball inside but loses the ball to Asensio and now Schalke can counter through Werner. Werner plays it wide to Yeboah, but Yeboah slows the play down and holds the ball up and then gives a short low pass to Frasca. Frasca plays the ball down the right of the box for Hoxha who beats Ochs and drives a low cross for Werner, but Stark is there to cut it out and the ball falls to Miele on the edge of the box. But that's a poor touch by Miele and Frasca pounces! But his shot curls over the bar and doesn't worry Leno. Leipzig let off again as Miele's mistake goes unpunished! Will Schalke rue these missed chances?

62nd Minute:Ā Hoxha cuts inside with the ball and plays a pass to Yeboah, who lays it off for Frasca. Frasca takes it wide and plays a one-two with ManjarrĆ©s. Frasca turns and plays it to Zapata, who finds Yeboah on the edge of the box. Yeboah turns and shoots! YEBOAH!!! A lovely curled finish from the edge of the box into the bottom right corner and Schalke take the lead in this final!Ā Leipzig 1 - Schalke 2!!

68th Minute:Ā Schalke bring the ball forward down the right with some nice passing moves, and now ManjarrĆ©s gets the opportunity to cross, but Sokolowski heads away. ManjarrĆ©s gets to the loose ball first and passes inside to Werner, who shiftsĀ the ball to Sensio who lets loose a shot. But it cannons off of Stark for a corner. Asensio whips the corner in but Sokolowski gets a head to it and Leipzig manage to scramble the ball away.

72nd Minute:Ā Buitink prepares to deliver the corner for Leipzig. He curls it to the back post for GINTER!! IS THAT IN!? No says the ref, it bounced on the lineĀ it seems not over it! But it doesn't seem to matter as the ref deemed that Ginter jumped unfairly with Garbe, a lucky escape for Schalke as Leipzig threaten for the first time this half.

83rd Minute:Ā Bernardo plays a short throw and receives the ball back from Buitink. Bernardo with a low pass to Altuna and Altuna moves the ball inside to ƍtalo on the edge of the box. ƍTALO!! Ooooooh,Ā I could've sworn that was in! ƍtalo fires a shot whistling past the post and BassolĆ© is left stranded, Leipzig coming close to levelling this final late on now, Schalke need to concentrate here if they want to get through this.

86th Minute:Ā Leno smashes the ball forward now, and Trainor beats Gomes to the header, but it falls to ƍtalo. ƍtalo passes to Sokolowski who pings a 40-yard pass out wide to Buitink, who has the opportunity to cross now as Gomes and Sandro are free in the box. But he shoots!? And he hits the side netting and wastes what could beĀ Leipzig's last opportunity. Surely the cross was the better option there, and Buitink's poor decision may prove decisive.

Full Time:Ā Time is nearly up now as Asensio brings the ball forward down by the touch lines. The fans wait for Grafe's final whistle now, and there it is!!! SCHALKE HAVE WON THE DFB POKAL!!! The game endsĀ Leipzig 1 - Schalke 2!!!

ZY6r6S0.png

AXxHOGT.jpg

A cagey affair from both teams but it's Schalke who came out the winners today. Despite that, it was Leipzig who drew first blood through a ZƩ Gomes header taking advantage of a BassolƩ mistake. Schalke weren't behind for long though as Timo Werner equalised five minutes later with a composed finish into the top left corner. The scores were level as Schalke began to dominate the game, and in the end, it was Schalke youth product Richard Yeboah who scored the winner with a long range finish past Bernd Leno, giving Schalke their first DFB Pokal win since 2011.

Ā 

A great game is concluded and that's it for our coverage, we'll be back soon with coverage of Schalke's first Champions League final against Manchester United!

Archived