After 10 years with FM, my first career update

trman73

I've made a decision. I'm going to play out these last three friendlies (two in November and one in March), then pursue one final club job come summer. I'm just not that into this. I want to give it one more go with a club, then shut down and take a little time off while I explore FM18 and wait for it to be fine-tuned before starting another career story.

I feel like I'm losing some steam in this career. Losing the West Ham job the way I did really threw me for a loop as I thought I'd stick on there until I retired. But I don't want to play the next few years having just a handful of meaningful games in a season and then a bunch of friendlies that honestly I'm barely paying attention to.

We lost to South Korea, 2-1, after holding a 1-0 lead. We beat Australia, 3-1, scoring twice in the first half (Pooley and Kronberg), giving up one early in the second, and then scoring on an own goal late to take it.

59f93677c087c_ScreenShot2017-10-31at9_50_03PM.thumb.png.1f2c6a22708e970afc40a01ea9bfd605.png59f9367959386_ScreenShot2017-10-31at9_50_14PM.thumb.png.741bbf87fc27338e31d254abc7a09d2d.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I've changed my mind again. On December 22, 2038, the day after my 65th birthday, I decide to retire from football.

It was an impressive career:

59f93d537a93d_ScreenShot2017-10-31at10_18_49PM.thumb.png.e207d8582ec7f1f007327bee2ca0f920.png59f93d55be0ae_ScreenShot2017-10-31at10_19_04PM.thumb.png.2a140f205e47db874e6c75d607c97d8d.png

I retire as, without question, the most successful American-born coach in soccer history.

Here are the final numbers...

59f93e40da393_ScreenShot2017-10-31at10_23_21PM.thumb.png.c89cc65e60263c9ec4c6e541fcb5e26d.png

My Trophy case includes:

• 2017 Chile Cup with Santiago Wanderers
  • 2017 Chilean Super Cup with Santiago Wanderers
  • 2022 Euro Cup with Roma
  • 2026 World Cup with Italy
  • 2028 Italian Super Cup with Juventus
  • 2029 Serie A title with Juventus
  • 2029 Champions Cup with Juventus
  • 2029 Serie A Head Coach of the Year with Juventus
  • 2029 Club World Championship with Juventus
  • 2030 Italian Cup with Juventus'
  • 2030 Serie A title with Juventus
  • 2030 Champions Cup with Juventus
  • 2030 Serie A Head Coach of the Year with Juventus
  • 2036 EFL Cup with West Ham United

I coached Santiago Wanderers in Chile, then went to Europe and basically never left, starting with Genoa (not good in my first major job), then Roma (huge success). I moved on to coach Italy (incredible success), left for Spain (disaster), then returned to club football with Juventus (won everything). I left for England, where I coached Leicester (successful), Liverpool (meh), and West Ham (successful with a maddening end to my tenure). Last, I took over USA (most successful World Cup campaign in years and years).

I won the most prestigious trophy in the world and the most prestigious club trophy in Europe (twice).

Here are my five favorite moments of this save...

5. Being hired by West Ham United. One of my goals, achieved late in my career. How this ended basically also ended my desire to continue with this career, so really bittersweet.

4. The second Champions Cup with Juventus - It got boring toward the end, but in that second year, having this dominant team and doing everything I set out to do was satisfying.

3. Winning Euro Cup with Roma. I got more joy out of coaching Roma than any other team. The 4-0 win over Inter to complete an incredible run to my first major cup was really exciting. I played the final in my bedroom with the door closed with basically a "do not come in here" mandate to the family.

2. The first Champions League win with Juventus. The victory over City cemented me as an American coaching legend, having won World Cup and Champions League.

1. The entire 2026 World Cup run - The early struggles, the needed win to get out of group play, and the run of wins over Spain, Portugal, and Mexico. That Mexico match, going to extra time and then winning it, was the single most exciting game I have ever played in Football Manager.

Here are my five favorite players:

5. Michael Platt - Not the best player in the world, but I bought this guy when I took over Leicester and he led us to two really good seasons.

4. Mohamed Salah - This guy was a decent player when I came to Roma. He turned into a world-class goal scorer under me. He would go on runs where he just couldn't be stopped.

3. Jonathan Valdes - The keeper I brought in from Sporting to Juve for $45 million. My highest-dollar transfer. He started 70 club games for me and had shutouts in 39 of them. He was epic in the Champions League runs, then went to Chelsea and cemented himself as the best keeper in the world. I'm taking credit for this success.

2. Davide Calabria - My very first signing with Juventus, he became one of the best right backs in the world. Taking credit for this as well.

1. Federico Bernardeschi - He was already at Roma when I arrived, but this guy is one of the favorite players I've ever had in any career. Won the 2026 World Cup Best Player. What else is there to say? I loved this player.

FINAL THOUGHTS

I thoroughly enjoyed doing this. I was hoping when I started that it would rejuvenate my interest in FM, and it absolutely did. There is no doubt I will do this again with FM 2018.

One thing I'll do is pace myself a little better. I would go days where I'd play, and write long summaries, of 6-7 games (and I play out each game, watching all 90 minutes). Toward the end, I was getting burnt and just running out of things to write other than game recaps. So maybe 2-3 games instead of 4-5.

I also plan to throw in a teeny bit more fiction... maybe some back stories of guys, and make it a little more "fun."

Last, I coached 10 teams in 22 seasons - seven clubs, and three nations. That's a little too much for me, and I found myself constantly looking for the next thing. Next year, I want to focus on really taking a club and building it into what I want for the long haul.

LAST THING

I just really appreciate everyone who read this and especially those who commented and helped me with your ideas, strategies, suggestions, and general encouragement. That sounds cheesy, but when I started I told my wife, "no one will read this... they don't know me, I'm never on the boards, and it will be boring. But I'm doing it." And then when the comments started coming, it was absolutely awesome. So sincerely, thanks to all of you, and I cannot believe this little thread won a coveted forum award!!! I will make a vow right now that when a new person starts their first thread for FM 18, I will post encouraging words for her/him.

Okay... I have no more words to give to the "Last Chance Save." Thanks again... see you whenever 2018 is ready to devote another story to!

Tom

Edited by trman73

I must admit that I dont go often into forums like this but I do like hearing from other normal people like me chatting about their experiences during their FM adventures. I use it as a motivation as I do lose interest every now and again when I have a “West Ham sacking” moment like you did. Quite puzzling and annoying. 

However, you have taken this to another level with your detailed and fun description of storytelling career mode. Brilliant! The way you wrote this career have, undoubtedly, made most of us who read the career some sort of assistant coaches and made us feel incorporated into the save. The award you won are thoroughly deserved and wont be beaten at any point in the future. 

I wish to follow your future careers you plan to write about and not sure if there is a notification system here to let me know if you start writing. All the best, Tom. Your career kept me on this forum.