Final piece of the tactical jigsaw

Hello guys,

Over the past few days and nights!! i have been working on a 4-1-4-1 based formation,whilst i feel that i have it correct at the back my concerns are with midfield and the lone striker role.Now im thinking along the lines of i dont want to push too many players forward in the event of a damaging counter attack although i do feel that my lone striker will need a decent level of support.

So on that note my question is to you tactical masterminds out there do i keep the system as it is pictured here...as you can see the forward is on a poacher role which i personally think is suitable,but on the other hand would my midfield not need to be linked to my forward somehow? i.e either a false nine role or a deep-lying forward? thats what im thinking..

Hope someone can shed some light on what they think before i release..

Thanks for reading lads.

58aee86410ccd_bOY9jiV-Imgur.thumb.jpg.a19c85acfd2a89a9e57ac85f8dc29d23.jpg

@steff91

It all depends on what you want to achieve! At the moment, we don't really know how you play/want to play in terms of mentality, structure, and team instructions. 

I can tell you this - As a poacher won't drop down to connect with the midfield, the midfield will need to connect with him. Which means, more runners ... In general its easier to play with a supportive striker that drops deep. 

It's not something that can't work, but your wingers will stay wide and your wingbacks will make a lot runs in that area as well. They might run into each other at times. 

2 minutes ago, jorgvandervloed said:

@steff91

It all depends on what you want to achieve! At the moment, we don't really know how you play/want to play in terms of mentality, structure, and team instructions. 

I can tell you this - As a poacher won't drop down to connect with the midfield, the midfield will need to connect with him. Which means, more runners ... In general its easier to play with a supportive striker that drops deep. 

It's not something that can't work, but your wingers will stay wide and your wingbacks will make a lot runs in that area as well. They might run into each other at times. 

I actually forgot to include the next screenshot with my original OP thanks for your input..

Hamilton Academical_  Overview-2.png

When the ball goes forward what do you expect a poacher to do?  How much support do you expect him to have when the ball is travelling longer distances? Will your midfield be able to catch up? 

I'm not sure what your plan is, you have 1 player looking to get forward to offer support. The playmaker will be deeper but forward thinking.  Then you have two wingers supporting wide but holding up the ball for wingbacks to attack, but who will be in or around the box?

I don't consider this cheating, but you might.  Whenever I have a tactical idea I want to test, I play the same match over and over and figure it out.

Personally, I think the direct passing with a poacher as a lone striker won't work.  In possession you'll be playing a man down, or your striker will keep getting the ball with nowhere to go with it.  I think you either need the wings in the AM stratum, or you need to go 4-4-1-1.  Or you need to move the ball up the field slowly.  (Or maybe both.)  Give the striker some playmates.

But try it out a bit and see what happens.

On 2/23/2017 at 16:49, superdave said:

I don't consider this cheating, but you might.  Whenever I have a tactical idea I want to test, I play the same match over and over and figure it out.

Personally, I think the direct passing with a poacher as a lone striker won't work.  In possession you'll be playing a man down, or your striker will keep getting the ball with nowhere to go with it.  I think you either need the wings in the AM stratum, or you need to go 4-4-1-1.  Or you need to move the ball up the field slowly.  (Or maybe both.)  Give the striker some playmates.

But try it out a bit and see what happens.

I thought about doing that myself, experimenting playing a game over and over again to see what works but i would consider this cheating. An alternative could be to manage your U18's and U23's and experiment tactics with them if there is players that can fit into what you want to try.

Btw i see you're managing Notts County. Well in a save i'm doing i was managing Villa but got sacked in January. Decided to carry on and got offered managing Notts County who are 19th and 6 points from the drop zone in League two. Only just took over been sorting out backroom staff responsibilities, hiring staff, sorting out training etc. Got hired on the same day we're playing Grimsby away...Jon Stead looks a good DLF-Support or a TM though i noticed he has moves into channels as a trait which i dont think suits him (slow- not very mobile) so he's unlearning it now and i'm thinking of playing him as a lone striker in a 4-1-2-3 DM wide with a DLF- Support role. Some good wingers like Jonathan Forte and good midfielders like O'Connor.

Problem is right now the team has zero familiarity with the 4-1-2-3 so i'm thinking might be best for a 4-4-2 and have the team learn the 4-1-2-3 but not sure...i'm going to tinker some more see what the squad is familiar with before i decide before our first match. Want to make a good first impression!

On 2/23/2017 at 11:49, superdave said:

The problem with that is that it might lead you to a tactic that works well against the one team you keep playing, but not against most other teams.

Along the same lines though, I like to have a throwaway save for testing ideas on FMT where there's no tactical familiarity.

I've just looked at the tactical analysis for the Notts County team i've just took over and they've played 4-1-2-3 DM wide the second most often of 5 formations played in their last 20 matches (7 starts, 591 mins) . Yet for familiarity the formation is very awkward...how? the most commonly used formation, 5-3-2 WB (12 starts, 822 mins)  is at max fluid level. Surely for 4-1-2-3 DM wide they should be at least accomplished?? and its the formation i want to play.

What can i expect will happen, what will i expect to see when a team plays a formation they're awkward with in a competitive game? it just makes no sense with the amount of time they've been playing it and its been their most successful formation for creating chances.

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 20:12, cns180784 said:

I've just looked at the tactical analysis for the Notts County team i've just took over and they've played 4-1-2-3 DM wide the second most often of 5 formations played in their last 20 matches (7 starts, 591 mins) .

My save is 15-16.  Stead did quite well as a target man in a 4-2-3-1.  That was 12 or 13 seasons ago...I'm trying to remember other elements of the team.  Blair Adams was good enough that when I finally got to the Prem he was good enough to be a rotation player and not get relegated.  Elliott Hewitt was a bit better than that.  Sneijders was Adams level...he was a rotation level player when I was (barely) keeping my head above water.

I have Stead playing as a DLF- Support. I dont have Blair Adams. I have Hewitt and at the moment he's my second choice RB to Leonardo Muchetti but he is good. Sneijders has great pace a good all round winger/forward i'm playing him as an advanced forward. This is my team lineup from my first match in charge against Grimsby away which we won 1-0:

GK-D..Collin

FB-D..Muchetti  CB-C..Duffy  CB-S..Edwards  FB-D..Dickinson

CM-A..Thompson  DLP-D..O'Connor  BBM-S..Aborah

AF-A..Sneijders  DLF-S..Stead  AF-A..Forte

So as you can see playing a narrow 4-3-3 with counter mentality, structured team shape and using TI's for more direct passing, pass into space, close down less, exploit the middle, be more disciplined and stick to positions. Despite the TI's for more direct passing and pass into space i found my team were actually keeping the ball very nicely with shorter passing (playing only 21 long balls the whole game) and it actually does suit the formation better, although Grimsby did allow us the time on the ball with their 2 CM's  backing off with the deepest one playing just in front of the two CB's looking for the counter. I think our style of play was influenced by our DLP- Michael O'Connor as he dictates tempo. I did for most of the 2nd half give Muchetti a Support duty in RB to give us some much needed extra width. Though going forward, i expect the two Advanced Forwards to work the channels and provide that extra width and open space for the CM-A and BBM to exploit whilst they also link up with Stead, the DLF.

It worked very well in our first match although only 9 shots on target from 26 and 16 from long range...but it was a long shot that the goal come from so its not always a bad thing if most of your shots are from outside the box. Despite being at home next i dont expect Crawley to allow us as much space in the middle of the park and more width from the full backs may be called on much earlier...we'll see.

Yea 16-17 have had a decent start won 2 drew 1 and am now sitting in a mid table place what the board expects. Signed Emile Heskey and Rafael Bondi in the Jan transfer window, Heskey will mainly just be backup for Stead but Bondi is a quality player with great technical and mental attributes for League 2. Though he doesnt really fit into my flat 4-3-3 but i sometimes plan to play a 4-2-3-1 which i might do in my next game at home to Cheltenham. I found this guy who is Brazilian by an Italian scout i hired with his knowledge. He was playing for an amateur Italian team so was able to sign him on a free without paying compensation, pretty sweet.

Only drawback on both players is that you'll know Heskey is old- 39 and Bondi is 35 too and the average age of my squad is now 29 lol

On 26/02/2017 at 08:18, cns180784 said:

I thought about doing that myself, experimenting playing a game over and over again to see what works but i would consider this cheating. An alternative could be to manage your U18's and U23's and experiment tactics with them if there is players that can fit into what you want to try.

Btw i see you're managing Notts County. Well in a save i'm doing i was managing Villa but got sacked in January. Decided to carry on and got offered managing Notts County who are 19th and 6 points from the drop zone in League two. Only just took over been sorting out backroom staff responsibilities, hiring staff, sorting out training etc. Got hired on the same day we're playing Grimsby away...Jon Stead looks a good DLF-Support or a TM though i noticed he has moves into channels as a trait which i dont think suits him (slow- not very mobile) so he's unlearning it now and i'm thinking of playing him as a lone striker in a 4-1-2-3 DM wide with a DLF- Support role. Some good wingers like Jonathan Forte and good midfielders like O'Connor.

Problem is right now the team has zero familiarity with the 4-1-2-3 so i'm thinking might be best for a 4-4-2 and have the team learn the 4-1-2-3 but not sure...i'm going to tinker some more see what the squad is familiar with before i decide before our first match. Want to make a good first impression!

I don't get this, why don't you pick a side, a top side - then test to your hearts delight

5 hours ago, Rashidi said:

I don't get this, why don't you pick a side, a top side - then test to your hearts delight

Well i just want to concentrate on this one save rather than have another one and do what you're suggesting. I spend too much time looking at stuff and thinking over this and that to concentrate on more than one save. Besides i'm up for the challenge of LLM, done it before with great success managing Bristol Rovers...although that was CM 02/03 on my Xbox...lol

Archived