Could someone help me understand transitions?

From attack to defence and from defence to attack obviously, probably both with equal importance. Of course it is up to the football style I want to employ, but when I am looking at transitions I have no idea what to look after. I feel that this has been talked not so much about and it is one of the most important aspects in a tactic to see if it is effective or not (at least from what I understood). And why exactly are transitions that important (apart from the obvious reasons of getting the right men forward and in the right positions, and getting the players in the right areas to block the opponent's attacks respectively).

Transitions are important because if you don't know at which stage of the game you are in (i.e. are you transitioning from defence to midfield) then you won't know if a certain player is playing to his role/duty. Knowing how to spot your transitions effectively will give you a good idea of how your team playing to their duties and instructions, or whether they are simply not good enough. Most times people assume they have the right player for the role, and then when I look at their pkms, its obvious they don't since he is missing out on some attributes that would make him better in the role. He may be slower than the rest to get into position, but how will you know he is slower if you don't even know when he was supposed to move back in the first place. It's easy enough to say he should have moved back at a specific point, but most people get that period in time wrong. Something else could have happened earlier in the transition they missed out on, that could have prevented the player from moving back.

They are very easy to spot once you know what to look for. Just break a teams movement down into phases.

1 hour ago, Rashidi said:

Transitions are important because if you don't know at which stage of the game you are in (i.e. are you transitioning from defence to midfield) then you won't know if a certain player is playing to his role/duty. Knowing how to spot your transitions effectively will give you a good idea of how your team playing to their duties and instructions, or whether they are simply not good enough. Most times people assume they have the right player for the role, and then when I look at their pkms, its obvious they don't since he is missing out on some attributes that would make him better in the role. He may be slower than the rest to get into position, but how will you know he is slower if you don't even know when he was supposed to move back in the first place. It's easy enough to say he should have moved back at a specific point, but most people get that period in time wrong. Something else could have happened earlier in the transition they missed out on, that could have prevented the player from moving back.

They are very easy to spot once you know what to look for. Just break a teams movement down into phases.

Could you give a short example? Thanks.

And how exactly can you describe a transition? From what point to what point?

At the risk of coming off as a condescending *****, a transition is simply when the possession changes from one team to another.

Your AMC has the ball, edge of the 18 yard box, attempts to take on his marker and loses out. The ball bounces clear of both players.

Pause the game here, then take note of several things; Where are your other players positioned? Where are the opposition players positioned? What better options did your AMC have to pass the ball before he was tackled? Did you have enough players in support, do you have enough to prevent giving up too much space on the counter?

There are more, but that's for you to figure out as you get better at analysing the transition.

The opposition DM comes and cleans up the loose ball, he takes a touch to his right and looks down field.

This is the next phase of the transition, the other team now have possession. You need to pause the game and look again at all the things going on; Has anyone moved to close him down? If so, who? Is anyone not tracking back quickly enough? Are your deeper players pushing forward now to limit time and space on the ball?

The DM sprays a long hopeful ball forward to his AMR who is charging down the line trying to meet the pass. Your LB was positioned too high (WB(a)) and hasn't recovered quickly enough.

Now, has your left central defender moved to close down this attacking move? Has the right CB moved to cover, bringing the RB with him? Where are all your players now?

Your CB managed to get to the ball first, turn and pass back to your keeper, who was aware enough to make himself available. He takes a touch to his right, and passes forward, ahead of your RB who is now moving to collect the ball.

We have transitioned again, so start over, look at all the things. Pause the game often, make notes on scratch paper if you have to. These transitions are key, if you are in the right places you will save and score goals, the wrong places and you will give them up.

43 minutes ago, Phelix said:

At the risk of coming off as a condescending *****, a transition is simply when the possession changes from one team to another.

Your AMC has the ball, edge of the 18 yard box, attempts to take on his marker and loses out. The ball bounces clear of both players.

Pause the game here, then take note of several things; Where are your other players positioned? Where are the opposition players positioned? What better options did your AMC have to pass the ball before he was tackled? Did you have enough players in support, do you have enough to prevent giving up too much space on the counter?

There are more, but that's for you to figure out as you get better at analysing the transition.

The opposition DM comes and cleans up the loose ball, he takes a touch to his right and looks down field.

This is the next phase of the transition, the other team now have possession. You need to pause the game and look again at all the things going on; Has anyone moved to close him down? If so, who? Is anyone not tracking back quickly enough? Are your deeper players pushing forward now to limit time and space on the ball?

The DM sprays a long hopeful ball forward to his AMR who is charging down the line trying to meet the pass. Your LB was positioned too high (WB(a)) and hasn't recovered quickly enough.

Now, has your left central defender moved to close down this attacking move? Has the right CB moved to cover, bringing the RB with him? Where are all your players now?

Your CB managed to get to the ball first, turn and pass back to your keeper, who was aware enough to make himself available. He takes a touch to his right, and passes forward, ahead of your RB who is now moving to collect the ball.

We have transitioned again, so start over, look at all the things. Pause the game often, make notes on scratch paper if you have to. These transitions are key, if you are in the right places you will save and score goals, the wrong places and you will give them up.

Nah you weren't being condescending. 

5 hours ago, Phelix said:

That's very helpful, thank you!

Apologies for intruding on another thread with what probably looks like a stupid question, but there is one thing on here I was interested in, but I have no idea how to effect it within the game...

This is a major problem I have had, my left full back on attack to try and create an overload down the left side, gets caught out... but my CB rather than running out to close down, he holds his position and instead waits for a midfielder to run half the length of the pitch. He then doesn't mark their one attacker, nor does my other CB and so is stood in the middle of the pair of them to head/pass home a cross right in between them. It is like they are caught in no mans land, should I stay, should I go... 

How do you actually implement a change like this on football manager? I actually always assumed it is one of those things that is down to the individual player and his decision making...

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 01:49, Phelix said:

I really like this post.

On 10/02/2017 at 10:28, LCFCEaves31 said:

Apologies for intruding on another thread with what probably looks like a stupid question, but there is one thing on here I was interested in, but I have no idea how to effect it within the game...

This is a major problem I have had, my left full back on attack to try and create an overload down the left side, gets caught out... but my CB rather than running out to close down, he holds his position and instead waits for a midfielder to run half the length of the pitch. He then doesn't mark their one attacker, nor does my other CB and so is stood in the middle of the pair of them to head/pass home a cross right in between them. It is like they are caught in no mans land, should I stay, should I go... 

How do you actually implement a change like this on football manager? I actually always assumed it is one of those things that is down to the individual player and his decision making...

The change could come from various things being altered from your specific team instructions or player instructions, is he on cover? could he be changed to a stopper so he will come out and attempt to stop the play? it could be down to team instructions have you given your team a deep defending line, so hes trying to stay deep - is closing down set to stand off so hes not coming out to close down for that reason, so many factors.

Archived