Rainmaker 17 - Counter Attacking Man City to the Treble + Hull 8th - Season 1

That'll be the tactic.

Your full backs pushing on mean you are vulnerable down the flanks.

But the upside is likely bigger than the downside I.e. you should be creating a lot from wide areas.

The gradual improvement in the quality of your team should make this less of an issue.

Any thoughts of how I could get this going with Chelsea? 10 games in and I've yet to have a striker score. 

Admittedly a tough run of fixtures (ManC, Arsenal, Swansea, Spurs, United, Liverpool) but no wins and only one goal maximum in a game says there's probably something wrong with the team. 

Wing backs are Marco Alonso and Azpi, Chalobah in Anchor (8 av rating through thouse games!) and then Cesc and Kante either side of Hazard in the middle. Up top are Destro and Costa. 

Can't work out what I need to get right!

Disclaimer - used the IGE to max tactical familiarity. 

So the second half of my season was less injury hit but i got less points. Still cannot complain considering Boro came bottom 3 in both your saves Rosler.

I noticed i had a +2 GD first half and -2 second half scoring 29 first half and 27 second. Rhodes contribution noticeably tailed off.
I signed Dembele from Celtic in January with Crouch as he was cheap and added depth plus got James on loan from Leicester and a young lad from Ipswich called Dozzell as he look like he could turn out decent. maybe signing so many had a negative affect for a time....

in 2 mind weather too continue with Boro or start a fresh game un-employed :rolleyes:

secondhalf.png

finaltable.png

rhodes.png

chambers.png

20 hours ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Weird,

Should be killing it with Chelsea,

From Tactics screen click analysis, team talk feedback. What does its say?

Dulwich_Hamlet_Analysis_Team_Talk_Feedbafree screen capture

As you can see, morale couldn't be higher, would die for each other etc 

Think I might restart and see how it goes starting again. I think I'll just buy 2 1st teamers and some youngsters as opposed to the 5/6 I bought before. 

Massively enjoyed using your tactics in FM16, definitely looking forward to trying these out sometime.

One query I do have though concerning your Hold/Protect lead tactic. Is there a particular reason you still use close down more and get stuck in for team instructions? I've always gone with the logic of not using these when playing defensively because it pulls players out of position and even just one break of a defensive line can be costly. I tend to play a high block which essentially means my attacking players will pressure the opposition back-line to try and force them into mistakes or long balls forward. But once the ball is in our own half the midfield and defence will stay more structured and hopefully difficult to break down. Obviously this is achieved through individual player instructions. Using close down more and get stuck in TI's suggests more of a low block approach. If you have players with good stamina, work rate, tackling etc etc that can get back into position quickly then of course it would be great even in a defensive system. Just wondering if this is something you've experimented with?

Hi Warro,

Thanks for the feedback.

I must admit, having established my preferred team instructions for the main tactic I am loathe to alter them drastically for the alternate versions, partly because the use of the Hold/Chase tactic is situational and it is therefore difficult to get a firm grip on how effective they are.

I have had pretty decent success running down the clock with the current hold version however your suggestion also makes sense, perhaps when/if there is another ME update and things need tweaking i'll take a look at your approach.

Cheers

So I gave this a shot, and I thought it was the greatest tactic ever. Brand new on the job (hired at the end of December), I plugged this in and promptly went 5 - 0, scoring 3 or 4 goals a game. Then like hitting a brick wall, the rest of the season my team could not score more then 1 a match, and ended up in a tie nearly every matchthe rest of the season. Better then losing, but I can not for the life of me figure out how the results changed so drastically almost overnight. I had hardly any change in personnel.

so its my second season with Boro and the tactic. I tried  too follow your transfer advice and only sign 2 players, i actually signed a couple.

Matty James came on loan in January - i signed him full time in summer so i didnt really count that.
i needed too improve my keeper so brought in Fabianski from relegated Swansea.
I got alot of my assists from LB so i brought in Joel Ward.
I was fairly happy to be honest then got offered Giuseppe Rossi for free :D

My Head of youth brough 2 youngsters in but i dont count them really.....

4 league games in Rossi gets injured for 6 months :seagull:

anyway

i threw this kid O'Neill into Europa league games and he just loves it :applause:

halfwayseason2.png

oneil.png

Your Thunder Chief tactic was awesome last year even with the 4-2-3-1 tweak. I really enjoyed the football it played as it was not all about possession. Are there any changes you would make for FM17 or do you have any plans to create a formation with wide players?

KUTGW

Hi Azza, 

These days I tend to get one tactic set I like then press on with whatever challenges i've set myself.

If a ME update changes things i'll have to produce something else but no plans to do so at present.

Thanks

Thanks for this! I have been looking for something thats just not all about possession. And this fits a lot of things that I like.

It went well for the start of the season with Liverpool then everything came crashing.

I have serious problem in away games. Have lost 4 games in a row away now. Home still seems solid but a thrasing away against City with 6-0 turned my team into a losing monster away from home.

Any suggestions on what to do? I got an upcoming home game against Watford and I'm worried since Middlesbrough just won 3-0 against me on their turf.

Edit;

The away game issue continues. I still haven't lost points at home even once but out of 11 away games in the PL so far I have only won 1. 

Hi Karnack,

Thanks for the feedback.

I've never experienced contrasting Home/Away form like that, sometimes there are patterns within FM, they don't last forever, hopefully your away form will settle down soon enough.

I'm working on something new at the moment, looking really quite promising and quite an innovative set up, i'll see how it goes over a full season. 

I managed to increase my form away during the later part of the season but it's a clear problem in away games for me. Managed a 4th position in the end after all so can't really complain.

It seems to be a great tactic for cups since we won both cups season one!

Starting season 2 soon, gonna be interesting to see if the away-problem remains.

I get confused by the countless versions of this game does this tactic still work with the 17.2.1. version of this years fm? 

May i say i'm having fantastic success with this tactic. Don't get me wrong building the correct squad over a couple of seasons makes you very strong but this tactic does allow you to achieve when everything else is being worked properly too. i.e. Teamtalks, squad morale in general, team meetings, signing the correct players (i've found the centre ap mid is useful if he has running into box kind of PM's). 

I've also found you can have a tall slower forward and a faster one works quite well. Having a striker who likes to "place shots" as a rule seems to also help.

One final thing i read a while back is getting players with the correct mentality so i spend alot of time working with my scouts to find out abit more about the player before i buy them. I'm looking for key things in the report like good Bravery, Team Player, Consistency  and if they like Big Matches too i want them (especially my keepers). However if i have a talented player maybe just 1-2 through the team who goes against this grain (for example i have signed Adebayor in my second season)  then i find that is ok too.

A couple of other things i have noted.

- Spending money wisely.

-Two good full back who can cross, like to push forwards will get a good amount of assists

- AP Centre Mid. Get this man right and find him a good backup for rest or injuries, i find loads of important play is through this guy including your corners once updated. (try get one who likes to run into the box). If you want him to chip in with a fair few.

-Strikers i like players who can place shots also have 1 or both with good accel/pace i've found really important.

-Goalkeeper as already stated get the best you can, i got to jan season 1 as Cardiff midtable had a big revamp (despite the 2 players in a window advice), i sold some of my best players that i'd never dreamed of selling  to raise funds and signed a good keeper in Al Habsi from Reading after he dominated me a couple of games prior got a good scout report back he enjoyed big matches and consistency. I finished 4th and won the play off final all in my first season.

- Use the updated corners, i dont need to say much about this, very unusual with the short option there at every corner, but works really well with a variety of corner goals so i can complain! Same with defending them it really tightens the situation up alot.

Archived