The English Football League Thread - EFL in FM17

Jogo Bonito

15 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@Armistice Congratulations on your promotion, that's an excellent season even if you could have won the title! I'm pleased to hear Rodney did well, he looked a decent prospect at the end of last season. Good luck in League 1, just don't beat the Dons...

Thank you, Rodney is impressive for League Two level but he's inconsistent. He will score three goals in a game then play sub-par in the next 2-3. I can't remember him scoring more than in a couple of games in a row. Also another good young player at Hartlepool is Brad Walker, was pretty solid for me and scored some screamers too. I've got a regen who seems to have lot of potential, he has ambition to play and win Premier League so I hope he will have enough ambition to pursue that. :laugh:

The tough job is this season, I have to buy many new players and the club reputation is hindering my options. I have a decent list of players, I just hope I won't get rejected too often.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Jogo Bonito: Some really good signings there and a good fee recouped for Isgrove, making a profit that will definitely make a difference at that level. I don't see any reason as to why you can't enjoy another good season - this year is the year for you, I feel it.

@Armistice: Well done on promotion that is a brilliant accolade to do with Hartlepool. Rodney has caused me issues on past saves and I'm glad he's providing the goals for you, hopefully he can make the step-up with you and the squad in League One next season. I assume it'll all be about survival but who knows what you may do after that incredible season. 

Thanks lads, good luck in your saves too, it's week-end so I can play more, without being stressed out by my job lol. Hoping I can sort out the squad today and try to set up a transition to a 4-1-4-1 system which is my favorite formation.

Hi guys. Inspired by reading about your games on here,  I'm looking for a last save in the English Leagues, and I am looking for a club that has a player to build around, but I haven't been able to find anyone so far. Sort of like Blackburn a couple of years back, when they had Jordan Rhodes. Are there any obvious choices I'm missing? 

I know this thread isn't meant for this sort of request, but I hope it's alright for me to ask :)

On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 12:22, Adzke said:

Hi guys. Inspired by reading about your games on here,  I'm looking for a last save in the English Leagues, and I am looking for a club that has a player to build around, but I haven't been able to find anyone so far. Sort of like Blackburn a couple of years back, when they had Jordan Rhodes. Are there any obvious choices I'm missing? 

I know this thread isn't meant for this sort of request, but I hope it's alright for me to ask :)

Sorry,  haven't really been able to come up with any ideas. I mean, in L2 you would have team like that e.g. Akinde at Barnet, but could you build a club on him? Not so sure! Forest with Britt, unless using a new database? Not sure really.

@Armistice Good luck, a challenge makes it more satisfying.

1 hour ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Sorry,  haven't really been able to come up with any ideas. I mean, in L2 you would have team like that e.g. Akinde at Barnet, but could you build a club on him? Not so sure! Forest with Britt, unless using a new database? Not sure really.

@Armistice Good luck, a challenge makes it more satisfying.

No worries, thanks for your reply! I started out with Peterborough, and so far they've turned out to be a cracking save! 

And good job on the thread! Very inspiring reading! :D

On 10/6/2017 at 19:44, Jogo Bonito said:

@Armistice Congratulations on your promotion, that's an excellent season even if you could have won the title! I'm pleased to hear Rodney did well, he looked a decent prospect at the end of last season. Good luck in League 1, just don't beat the Dons...

V8ydnIP.png

It's a good win in the opening game of the season, but there's still much work to do, I haven't thought of a strategy for this season and I think this will come back and bite me if I don't think quick. It's a bit difficult to create a system for my liking because I don't really have players in all positions and also my fullbacks picked injuries which makes it even more difficult. It's frustrating to see players go to teams like Southend United who relegated in League Two at the end of last season instead of coming to mighty Hartlepool. But their loss, right? :D

@Armistice I can't say I am too happy seeing that, but well done anyway :herman:

I've had another decent start with AFC Wimbledon as I have my third crack at trying to exit League 1. The team now plays a 4312 formation, although in some of the earlier away games I went with 4132 and a slightly more cautious approach on the road. Ironically, the away form is better than at home - on our own turf we seem to drop quite a lot of points with draws that should be wins. The last match was satisfying and disappointing at the same time. 2-0 down hosting table-topping Preston, we fought back to lead 3-2 with a couple of minutes left - only to lose concentration and concede a last-gasp leveller that kept us just behind them on goal difference.

59dfc5c03623b_Results3.2.thumb.png.71d8d31688bf1f4a01b4db1716cb061a.png

59dfc5d13c8e8_Progress3.1.thumb.png.72dab77749c966b349e1d1ee4dd816db.png

Oh, I said last time that there were unlikely to be any more signings. That was until I got an amazing opportunity on transfer deadline day to sign another quality central midfielder. No outlay was needed and he also had the London connection I sought in most of my squad members...

59dfc83329303_HarryWinks1.thumb.png.749cfe9364eb20139d56ab3d37e1bfec.png

Welcome to Wimbledon then, Harry Winks. Now obviously young Harry wasn't quite England international standard at the time his last attribute ratings were done in FM17, but he should be able to make a pretty good contribution at this level, shouldn't he? Well, before you get excited at that prospect, read on...

59dfc94e8956a_HarryWinks2.thumb.png.016aba31a4ceb762e1a85caa16e1c4b0.png

Yes folks, that's right. Tottenham sanctioned it, but Harry turned us down. How disappointing. So what do you do when that kind of thing happens? You move on. Faster than I could say "Houston, we have a problem", I was asking for a return ticket to Texas instead. Nope, don't worry - I haven't decided to try my luck across the pond. In fact, I've turned down a whole host of clubs offering me a job even at Championship level. I was, however, able to snap up my latest free transfer signing - with English midfielder Joseph Holland agreeing to link up with us in January when his MLS contract expires. He's been developing quite well over there in recent times, and should provide another decent option for the central midfield slots after the turn of the year.

59dfcb49c0f9a_JosephHolland.thumb.png.301584366cdddbf582b839b3977f388c.png

I have completed my first season with Morecambe and I have to say, I'm quite content with our finish. The aim at the start of the season from the board was to simply survive, due to the lack of funding available it left us with limited resources throughout the season, combined with the low attendances at the Globe Arena, as mentioned in my previous update which continued, despite some impressive results at home late on in the season. Speaking of finances, there is a slight improvement and we are steadily paying off the debts owned - even though we witnessed very early cup exits which didn't really help our cause. The board have highlighted they are very impressed with my handing of the finances this season. 

Ashley Fletcher joined us on loan from West Ham, our parent club, in the January window and after a slow start with us finally found his feet in the last stretch of games. I would expect us to go back in for him next season if he is still available on loan as we did continue to struggle when it came to goals, lacking a consistent goalscorer - but I suppose that is to be expected with a club this as reputation is low and is considerably the same as a large majority of the National League clubs, this and the lack of money can cause several issues.

462e5d5db4bced291e78754392a25f5c.png3de6a9efdfc4650a061b42bc852abac7.png

30ee9f56ebc3d3d704d6bbd6e9839841.png72e30afb7299b9ad0446371b82ce9935.png

8b502c73fc31091df3ff363c3b0c7082.png

The star of this season has to be Michael Rose however. The central-midfielder has been a real leader in the middle of the park and has also covered at left-back when we were limited in that area for whatever reason. Our top goalscorer, scoring 11 goals from 50 games, thankfully we have managed to tie the 34-year-old down to another year here where we hope for another top season. Andrew Fleming also impressed when he played and finally Aaron Wildig who missed the first four months of the season came back and impressed whenever he played and I can't wait to get a full year with him. 

6eb889295c80f231f5f21953fd633455.png

64670dcebda08f31e830a1e57e515157.png

Due to our finances we have released several players who aren't immediate first team players and who were on higher wages. Club legend Kevin Ellison will be departing the Globe Arena for the new season as I couldn't afford to keep such an ageing player at the club on the wages he was earning. Thankfully most of the squad who required new contracts decided to lower their demands for wage which was fairly helpful so hopefully this will help to pay off these debts as soon as possible and we can try to build them back up once again. I can't really say much about next season yet as with a club like Morecambe you really do have to take the season game by game. Hopefully it's another enjoyable one with the Shrimps.

Things looking good for both of you lads @Jogo Bonito @DefinitelyTaylor. Looking forward to see more updates. Meanwhile, the balance says our club made 1m profit in the last season, yet the Board still don't accept my requests to improve Training Facilities. Maybe they want more pocket money before they start investing in the club? :D

Da6eXvM.png

Anyway, four games in and we won two, we drew two. Against Port Vale it had to be one of the most typical 'get FMed' game I ever had this year, we missed a lot of opportunities from inside the box, we hit the woodwork and they scored from a deflected free-kick and a mistake of our LB, the ball was cleared long by them and it hit our LB as if it was banging against a wall and their striker was nearby and scored. :lol: Good thing was we came back from 2-0 down which tbh I never expected to happen. Against Oxford, they scored a header, which I reckon will be our weakest point this season. Other than that, tactically we create chances but there are some issues to sort out, especially the long shots from the edge of the box. If I can tweak the tactic around and turn these shots into something more productive, I think we'll be up there with the top sides this season.

Edit - Transfer window has closed and I managed to get some gems on loan. One of them is Lys Mousset from Bournemouth, heads and shoulder above anything in my striker department, never thought he'd join us. Had a last go through Premier League U23 teams and I spotted Lys and made a loan offer. The second guy I got is Manu Garcia from Man City also on loan. He looks like an upgrade on Walker so at least I'll have a rotation player on that spot. Also got a third loan from Crystal Palace, a CM forgot his name, but he looks good too.

So given that we have so many loans it's a bit hard to fit them in within the five loans limit in a matchday squad, but we've stacked up a lot in CM & ST area and we're kinda light in wide midfielders so I'm thinking of going back to my 3-5-2 formation just to make sure we include Lys Mousset in there, while my main striker atm has scored 5 goals already and Olley is on form too. This attacking trio should destroy a lot of defences imo.

I think I have all the reasons to try and win promotion this year.

@DefinitelyTaylor Nice update and a solid season for you. Good luck with your next year.

@Armistice I can relate to the maximum loan players problem, I endured that at Doncaster. But it's a very good start and it sounds like a real coup with Mousset joining on loan - good business indeed.

By the way, my AFC Wimbledon side have just been drawn against Hartlepool in FA Cup Round 2...

Approaching the last 11 games into the 18/19 season, and my Wycombe team is somehow clinging on to first spot. I think teams are becoming more wary of me now and are sitting back and hitting me (hard) on the counter. My left back isn't the best so I have conceded on the flank for a couple of games running already. Need to address the area asap. Thankfully, somehow Norwich has also suffered after beating my team.

Not wanting to jinx it, but promotion looks like a possibility. I will need Harry Wilson (Liverpool Loanee) and Kasey Palmer back from injury though. They were key to Ashley Fletcher's scoring form and my surge up the table. With them out, the goals have dried up and teams have become to take points off me. Nervous last stretch indeed...

On a side note, my youth intake is trash. Found and purchased a couple of good regens, who are out on fee paying loans (no work permit)... so at least that is some source of income.

Wycombe 1819 championship.JPG

Wycombe 1819 fixtures.JPG

Results

gFXeRNS.png

I don't really care about Checkatrade Trophy, it's good because I play the other squad players in it so they won't start crying about playing time.

League Table

XLHgMmV.png

Mousset has been quite disappointing so far, especially when his PPM 'Shoot from Distance' ruin every chance we create through patient build-up.

Update, managed to play a few more games.

TWObAOK.png

We won our game in hand so we put a nice 6 points gap between us and the first play-off place. We also signed Martin Cranie on free transfer (released by Huddersfield) and we're on verge of signing Saville on free (released by Wolves). We have lots of CMs right now, so we have to find a way to play them all. We got knocked out the Checkatrade Trophy after leading 3-0 at Bradford in the last game in Group Stages (we needed a win), we conceded 3 goals in the second half and only beat them on penalties but it wasn't enough.

Haven't been around in a while due to .. life.. But i picked up my sheffield united save to get warmed up for FM18. Just finished my 2017/2018 season in 17th in the championship. Not the finish I wanted.. We ended the season $3.7M in debt unfortunately. 

But then several weeks after the season end, one of the owners of the club, Abdullah bin Musa'ad bin Abdulaziz Al Saud  - invested $12M into the club, which got me way into the black. On top of that, i received about $5M in solidarity payments from the EFL, as well as $6M in sponsorship/tv money... 

I'll try to not spend it all at once :)

Just finished my 2nd season with Aston Villa, 1st in the PL.

Surprisingly had a great season, finishing 7th, FA Cup semi-finals and winning the League Cup (and therefore qualifying for Europa League). Most teams attacked me and gave me space in behind. Against the big teams I either got slaughtered (25 shots to 1) or won 1-0 or 2-0. Defence was pretty solid.

Begovic, Mooy, Biabiny and (eventually) Bolasie were big ins. Only problem is shifting the bloat. Made tidy profits on Montero and Bacuna but best I could do for the likes of Agbonlahor and Micah Richards were fee paying loans while they wound down their contract. 

Kodjia ended up coming 5th in the Golden Boot with 19 goals. Couldn't get anything out of Hogan in the way of goals, but he got a heap of assists (playing as a CF). Rotated McCormack through left IF(A) once I couldn't shift him and he got quite a few as well.

Had the 8th highest attendance in the league, above the likes of Chelsea and Everton (!) but below Sunderland (West Ham was 3rd). So my board agreed to a stadium expansion. Should be interesting to see how I go next season with the extra competition and teams taking me seriously.

20171018155407_1.jpg

20171018155052_1.jpg

20171018155133_1.jpg

I managed to not only get Wycombe promoted, but also won the Championship in the process! I am still in disbelieve myself! My team faltered in the second half, finishing 5th in the points table, but took the Championship as no other team wanted it. Middlesbrough had an insane 2nd half of the season, winning 50 points and also the EFL cup against Man Utd?! So they will be playing in Europe and the Premier League next season.

Thibaud Verlinden topped my team's assists with 17 (13 in the league). Ashley Fletcher scored 26 goals in 52 appearances (18 in the league). Harry Wilson also played a big part, with his vision and knack for scoring crucial goals key to snatching victories.

Trying to tempt Wilson over with a 9K p/w contract. I need advice now on how much maximum wages to offer in-coming players and my current squad. Gone are the days where I can get away with paying just 2K p/w to my key players. They are now demanding at least 10K, if not more. How much do you typically cap a player's salary at? Any advice is welcome!

Wycombe 1819 championship.JPG

Wycombe 1819 completed fixtures.JPG

Wycombe champions.JPG

Ashley Fletcher 1819.JPG

Harry Wilson 1819.JPG

Thibaud Verlinden 1819.JPG

Nice to see all your updates.

I've been trying to move my spell at AFC Wimbledon forward and have just a few games left of season 3. I guess  in a couple of days time we will all be concentrating on the FM18 beta and then on to FM18, so best of luck to you all for that and thanks for contributions to the thread in FM17.

And it seems like the right time to wrap up my 3rd season at AFC Wimbledon...

Results from November 2018 kept us well-placed in League 1 and still in two cup competitions

59f2205e1e1ae_Results3.3.thumb.png.b6d7311d84735cc4e553f356133a663d.png

Results from January 2019 saw a wobble and then a recovery - with our eventual FA Cup exit in a money-spinning tie at Anfield

59f220983e308_Results3.4.thumb.png.198350129ae98490f9d92c03b80f3b5e.png

Results from March 2019 were much better - earning 3rd spot and eventually a Wembley win on penalties & promotion!

59f220bdc4d7a_Results3.5.thumb.png.0bca8f384e5cc517a6b16591717d10f1.png

The League Table doesn't lie! We were the 3rd best team, and we deserved our reward. 3rd time lucky... 

59f2211211f74_Season3table.thumb.png.1b3bc166d76dd14e785e13ecd59c5ae3.png

You can see our little dip in the New Year, but we were always on the heels of the leading pair 

59f2212d8013d_Progress3.2.thumb.png.d99debea0a901ba735cf9daf527a98d2.png

Here's the brief season review...

59f22153a08c1_Season3review.thumb.png.f98b75533c16094dd7ee8fd2f2cacfde.png

And the squad that did it for me. Well done again Lyle Taylor... 

59f22186b4703_Players3.1.thumb.png.215bc222612ed260a2d6c7351ce3af3f.png

...but the star this year was his on-loan strike partner Daniel Agyei (our ex-youth graduate)

59f2219869f5d_Players3.2.thumb.png.b037e0609850fcb80fee666eac7067a7.png

And finally, the thing I had been waiting for the most...back to Plough Lane

59f221b00b74a_PloughLanereturn.thumb.png.6941858290ab1add07e3f881b2e6fa80.png

So here we are, home at last...and up to the second tier at just the right time!

59f221c41ad3f_AFCWimbledonClubProfile.thumb.png.7851da1d0df18944c4d19ded6d63f004.png

@therealpete Thanks, I really enjoyed my spell at AFC Wimbledon and would have loved another season there. However, it's time for FM18 now so I guess it was a good enough place to stop.

As for the new thread, I've done it for a few years now and I'd really love somebody else to have go so I can just pop in and out as a guest. I'm already in League 2 for the BETA version so I'll still be contributing to whoever creates the FM18 version.

P.S. I see you're managing FGR. They were a very close second choice to the team I eventually picked, and I definitely fancy having a crack with them soon myself as it's their inaugural season at EFL level.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/10/2017 at 23:46, Jogo Bonito said:

@therealpete Thanks, I really enjoyed my spell at AFC Wimbledon and would have loved another season there. However, it's time for FM18 now so I guess it was a good enough place to stop.

As for the new thread, I've done it for a few years now and I'd really love somebody else to have go so I can just pop in and out as a guest. I'm already in League 2 for the BETA version so I'll still be contributing to whoever creates the FM18 version.

P.S. I see you're managing FGR. They were a very close second choice to the team I eventually picked, and I definitely fancy having a crack with them soon myself as it's their inaugural season at EFL level.

Has anything been said about the FM18 thread? Looking forward to it.

Archived