Promoted yet nobody wants to join?

Hi there,

I've gained two consecutive promotions with Hartlepool United, yet even approaching players who are in the league below seems impossible. Something doesn't feel right at all, and I'm not sure if it's to do with the staff I've recently hired or what? I'm really confused as to why nobody wants to join my team. Whenever I go on the scouting section to see which players would be interested in joining me, they are off seriously low quality. I was wondering also whether it might be due to the fact I have about 8 players in my team due to a mass clear out at the end of the League 1 campaign. Any help would be most appreciated!

I have a similar situation after back to back promotions with Luton, most of the people I can sign are League 1/2 standard according to the scouts but I'd put this down to a few things:

A) Club reputation being around a mid-table League One club despite now being in the Championship, we need to establish ourselves and show we can survive before our reputation will catch up.

B) Odds on favourites for relegation, higher reputation players don't want to come along to get relegated to League One.

C) We have the lowest wage budget in the Championship so probably can't afford the wages for a lot of the players.

This is something that I have experienced myself rising very quickly up through the leagues. I believe it's your low club reputation that is the cause and possibly also manager reputation, if you started with a fairly poor one.

I've noticed that while few players are interested, as pre-season comes to an end and free transfer players remain without a club they will start to become interested.. some might stay not interested, but you can still negotiate with them. If your team is doing okay or better by January, a whole new segment of players will open up to you, so dig in.

Nothing much more you can do I'm afraid then just using a lot of time in scouting and searching for players that might be able to do a job. In the Championship (coming from National League) I got by with mostly L1 and L2 quality players.

The reputation will eventually catch up but you need a season or two.

• 2 weeks later...

My experience has been slightly different. Whenever I get promoted, I get better players. Granted, they are not young superstars, but declining veterans from the same or lower divisions, also unattached retirees from developing countries. That's fun!

Its frustrating !, playing as QPR, I have brought in 2 freebies, 1 loan & a player with no WP.

I have been top of Championship during Jan transfer window - no one wants to join - no wonderkids etc. , even some fall backs like from Hibernian turned us down.

I do wonder if I lied with my reputation at the game start, I might have some good players?

Archived