[FM17] A New World: Ceres Rises

forameuss

Y4qXpEp.png

A New World : Ceres Rises

May 2016

"Football in the Winterlands is arguably only the 5th most popular sport in the country.  Some will say that this is because it is simply an inferior sport, but others will point to the largely inhospitable conditions.  For the record, Ice Hockey, Curling and Mountain Sports like skiiing and snowboarding all rank higher.  Highest, however, is a baffling version of water polo based solely in the close to frozen lakes in the far-north of the country"

Speaking of the Winterlands...

djCQBLp.png

l2ZePnm.png

Nothing too special about the structure of these leagues - Premier sides face each other three times, Amateur sides play each other four times.  

The real change here is in the schedule.  I haven't really covered it in great detail, but every country in Velusia follows the same calendar largely.  Seasons start on the 1st of March, then end in mid November.  All except the Winterlands, for obvious reasons.  The Winter months are not kind to the country, and football is pretty much impossible.  So seasons are compressed here, starting on the 1st of May and ending 1 month earlier in Mid-October.  As a result, it's quite a busy schedule.

od2a6BU.png

I also bring you news of one of the first sackings in the game world.   By no means the first, because my bodged together way of adding staff means that there are some weird mixes at clubs.  There have been a lot of firings, mostly at lower league clubs, but this was the first that jumped out as being at a "major" club.

xenTUi3.png

uhDF7mS.png

As you can see, Linhedge are underachieving, and Billy Narayan paid the price for it.  Unfortunate, but I'd say it's a justified sacking, which is good news for the balance of the game world.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Y4qXpEp.png

June 2016

"In terms of landmass, the Winterlands is the 3rd largest on the continent.  In terms of population (98,472) it is the 14th largest, with only Saint Elias City (39,801) being lower"

jvu5MfO.png

Before we return to rounding up the leagues, a quick note on the social feed.  Appears like there's only one thing worth discussing, and that's manager movements.  Hopefully we get a little more from it in future.

onCOpUU.png

On to Haverford now, and another of the nations that were supposed to be part of another.  Haverford was going to be part of South Azura in the same way that the Ferrous Isles were part of the North.  Instead, a few more clubs were added, and we now have a standalone league system.  36 games, so over halfway there.  It doesn't look good for Forth Valley, but then there's no relegation.  Just pride they're going to lose.

tDlzDI4.png

For once, a slightly different proposition when we look at the top tier of league football in Pinemarsh.  Instead of just a standard league format, the ten teams split into 2 groups.  Sixteen games later, 4 teams advance into a playoff system, two semi finals, then a final on neutral ground to determine the league champion.  The worst side in each group are relegated to the second tier.

sZsNHvX.png

XwYSLj6.png

No such frivolity in the lower leagues of Pinemarsh.  Ten teams in each competition, two from the Championship going up, and a massive four going down.  Only four sides in the group will not move, so I expect some movement between the tiers.

Great updates, formeauss! Thank goodness, I read the updates and it's awesome to see teams progress a lot. Manager movements can be pulled more probably.

By the way, what are process in doing these because I was wondering if they are doing step-by-step in making these to create continental competitions for all of them. I mean, it's good for me to plan and create my own world in the future.

Keep up the good work!:D

12 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

This entire setup is massively impressive. Great stuff, on every possible level!

Thank you very much :)

12 hours ago, sherwinriga said:

Great updates, formeauss! Thank goodness, I read the updates and it's awesome to see teams progress a lot. Manager movements can be pulled more probably.

By the way, what are process in doing these because I was wondering if they are doing step-by-step in making these to create continental competitions for all of them. I mean, it's good for me to plan and create my own world in the future.

Keep up the good work!:D

I could probably spend several posts outlining it, but I'll give a brief outline.  All the data that goes into the game is arranged into an Excel spreadsheet.  Then this data is converted into something that the editor will understand.  The database is made up of a national rules file for all 15 nations.  Each one of those contains every single data change for all nations, plus the rules for just that nation.  If that makes sense.  They're all built up piece by piece, so in the process of creating them, I've got one huge file with all the data changes, then copies are made, adding the national rules for each nation on to create their own file.

Continental rules are added manually at this stage after I ran into a few problems with it.  Then the International rules are the same.

I could do a longer post explaining it in more detail if people will be interested.

Y4qXpEp.png

July 2016

"Montarian Azuri is the primary language spoken in Montaria.  It is very, very similar to regular Azuri, only much simpler and with more curious spellings of words"

8EqbpDd.png

YlpzbmF.png

9OjftmU.png

55vJfxc.png

KmDGazD.png

It's Summer time, and where better to spend it than in sunny Recalada.  The league systems are fairly simple here, employing a play-each-other-twice structure.  The only slight change is that in the lowest tier, several clubs are barred from promotion due to their status as B teams.  You'll see that at present, the side in 16th is due for promotion due to this.  I may have ballsed up the set-up for this, but I'll go with it.  For the most part it's fine that these teams not going up. 

But there is one particular quirk.  For the entire month of July, along with the week directly preceding and following, the leagues all break while teams take part in Festival de Verano (the Summer Festival).  

MopOKv7.png

9iY7rYE.png

Groups are seeded by reputation, giving the smaller teams a change to have a shot at the big boys.  Unfortunately, it seems like they've mostly been absolutely pumped.  Obviously B teams aren't involved here, so it's a nice exhibition of football.  There is a second stage, that is supposed to take place right after the group stage so that the competition is all done by the time the league starts again.  Unfortunately, scheduling seems completely broken, and we're playing one second round game per day.  Sometimes none at all.  I'll update you when it finally finishes, probably some time in 2038.

8RSt09Z.png

zzCRKGx.png

Our penultimate nation is Montaria, and it's not going to take a genius to work out where it gets its inspiration from.  From the names of the clubs to the structure of the leagues, I may as well call it the Freedom Eagle 'murica Superbowl.  Two conferences, 36 games in each.  Then the top four in each play off until only one is left.  At that point, both conference winners meet in the Superbowl.  Because of course they do.

Y4qXpEp.png

August 2016

"Montarian Azuri is the primary language spoken in Montaria.  It is very, very similar to regular Azuri, only much simpler and with more curious spellings of words"

And finally, we come to Aurelia, the only nation yet to be covered.  It's fitting that it gets its own post, as it's probably the largest system, and certainly the one with the most to cover. 

First up, we have the State Champonships.

ixIXn82.png

nap5XQY.png

nMwiHKR.png

WAxrEDM.png

5aWm1TQ.png

L40sW5h.png

K9JD5A6.png

8 regions of Aurelia, and 8 different Championships.  A few have 18 sides, the rest have 16.  2 groups, then a finals match between the winners of each one.

Now you may have noticed that I mentioned 8, and there's only 7 up there...enter Rovka.

w3Uwfmg.png

Congratulations to the Chaturbhunj Chasers on winning the inaugural Rovkan State Championship after beating Apex Arvensdale in the final.  

But these games only cover up to the midpoint of the year.  After that it's the actual league campaign.

sZ6o7mf.png

8ztcXLV.png

5L8mG5x.png

lW86eTQ.png

Htoku8Z.png

5qaffAq.png

QyPAsq7.png

PLw0Qa4.png

Now, one thing to note about how many leagues there are.  There's an interesting bug in FM that means that if you create a system with more secondary leagues than actual leagues, then the extra secondary leagues don't appear.  I had originally merged all the leagues that are considered "Sunday League" into one division with several sub-divisions, but this meant that a lot of the State Championships didn't turn up when I started the game.  So now we have a massive 8-tier league system, meaning that for little Meah, there's a long way to go to reach the top.

The teams created for this thread are spread over the bottom two divisions thanks to their lower reps, but Chaturbhunj Chasers look like they're going to add the Third Tier Trophy to their State Championship one at this rate.  Quazen Roses and Apex Arvensdale are on for promotion too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Right, here's my "walking back in with my tail between my legs" post...

Basically, I'll admit that I bit off way more than I could chew with this.  I had grand plans with this, as you can see.  What ended up starting the thread was actually a pared down version of what I wanted.  My original plan was to change the world wholesale, replace every nation on Earth with something so that the real world was well and truly gone.  I relented slightly, changing just two continents, thinking that was the way to go.  Unfortunately once I started, I realised the way I was wanting to update was just going to be way too time-consuming.  Tracking all those nations was going to take a long time, and I felt like not tracking them would've been worse.  What would be the point in having created this huge world if I wasn't going to talk about it?  So I was at a bit of an impasse.

BUT...I talked previously about working on version 2.  I won't bore you with the intricate details, but basically the way I generated all the data was a bit flaky.  A 20Mb spreadsheet drove the majority of it, with sheets that sometimes even I couldn't read, and I was the one that wrote them!  So I started again, trying to make the spreadsheet more like you'd enter it in the editor itself.  Then changed the code that read it to be a bit cleaner and more scalable.  It's not got quite as many features as previously, but it's getting there.

But obviously just changing how I generate won't help, it's changing the data itself that will.  So I thought smaller. It's nice to have enough nations so you can have a big international tournament, but as I've already said, it gets way too big.  Instead, I'm going back to how this whole thing started when I initially started planning the world, with just North and South Azura.  I'll do a full run-down of what that will entail once the database is ready, but we'll have 512 clubs across the two nations, all playing in the same league system.  That means a long, long league system (14 tiers I believe) and instead of having a watching brief and updating everything that happens, I'm going to create a basement club in great detail, start them on the bottom rung, and document their rise to the top of Azuri football.  

Stay tuned.

EDIT: Oh and all those custom teams you provided earlier, they will still be making an appearance.

Archived