FM17 - 4-1-4-1

I really struggled with FM16, where no matter what I did i just couldn't get it.  So with a new version of FM, I have some renewed determination to succeed.  If any of you have seen my previous threads you will know my preferred formation is a 4-1-4-1.

Why 4-1-4-1, I see it as a nicely rounded tactic, that can remain quite solid.  It can, however, be toothless in an attacking sense if you don't use the right roles.  

A goalkeeper and two central defenders

2 full backs, one to overlap down the left and one to provide support on the right

A DM who will focus on defending.  

As I am using a DM I feel I can be a little more adventurous with the other 2 central midfielders, so one will be BBM to provide support in both attack and defence.  The other will be CM(a)  and will need to to get forward to support the lone striker

2 wide midfielders, one to be a direct runner, the other a more creative influence from deep

My striker will drop deep to link up with midfield

As usual I will start in the lowest league load, English National League South and my eye this season has been drawn towards Oxford City.

So this is how I see the tactic in its initial form;

Tactic
akwff8.jpg

I am tipped to finish 19th so will likely start with a counter mentality and as I don't really understand the whole fluid/structured mentality enough will be sticking with Flexible.  I could drop down to structured as I do really just want my DLF, CM(a), WM(a) doing the attacking.  my BBM, WM(s), FB(a) focussing on transitions and the remaining players really bossing the defensive side but this will need consideration and better understanding.

Team Instructions
akwff8.jpg

I have only chosen Close Down More, to give us a little more impetuous when trying to win the ball back.

Player Instructions
The only player with specific instructions is the right had WM(a), he has dribble more, cut inside with ball and cross less often. 

How is this working for you?

Through my extensive play on FM15, 4-1-4-1 was the most defensively stable tactic. It became my first choice tactic for almost all my away matches. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, sometimes there is no offense to speak of. If the striker has a bad game then the tactic is pretty much useless. This isn't so much a problem when a draw isn't a terrible result, but as a home favourite, it becomes a huge issue.

I like the CM(a) and BBM(s) choices, and occasionally I'll swap the BBM(s) for a RPM(s). If I don't have really good attacking wingbacks in my side then I'll play conservative with them and give my DMC more licence to dictate play from deep (DLP/REG).

One more thing...I find a DLF(a) role does a slightly better job than a DLF(s) or F9(s) role. Maybe that was down to my specific players, though. I was also playing a more aggressively mentality.

Predicted to finish 19th, my Oxford City team have a relative poor squad

However after 16 games played, I sit 4th.

Table
14nh75i.jpg

Home
2ch72aa.jpg

Away
6pnp5j.jpg

Fixtures
3012ati.jpg

Positive Areas

My DLF and CM(a) are top of the goal scoring charts.  The wide players ML & MR top the assist charts along with the DLF. 

Areas of concern

1)  When leading the opposition will often go Attacking and in a number of results, including the 4-3 win in my last game above, I was winning 0-2.  I need to consider what to change to preserve this lead.  Maybe drop my left FB from Attack to Support.  Change from Flexible to Structured.  One to think about but it does seem to be an overload problem so it also be worth considering a mentality change

2) My home form is a worry.  Again I may need a mentality and/or shape change.

6 hours ago, boblardo said:

Player Instructions
The only player with specific instructions is the right had WM(a), he has dribble more, cut inside with ball and cross less often. 

I too am playing with the 4-1-4-1 on my current save. You've done fantastically well with Oxford in your save.  The only suggestion i'd have on your line up above is about whether you should have your WM(a) cut inside. Your 2 CMs will be pushing on with one in (A) role and another as Box-to-Box. Your DLF will be dropping deep. So thats 3 players occupying similar space in the AMC strata. The WM then cutting inside as well could create congestion. That said, it could be a useful overload tactic. You may just lose a-lot of width from your game though.

1 hour ago, boblardo said:

I need to consider what to change to preserve this lead. Change from Flexible to Structured.

I dont know how beneficial it is completely changing your team shape during a game. Is that a normal thing to do? I tend to stick with altering player roles from attack to support / defense and limiting creative freedom.

Good to see that your 4141 is making strides. I followed ur thread for FM16 and was inspired to try a similar formation.

As for preserving leads, i'd suggest decreasing Closing Down back to Sometimes. The 4141 is very compact in terms of its defensive shape, so getting ur players to not close down that often and staying disciplined and remain in position and shape will make it more difficult for ur opponents to break u down, and will hv to commit more men forward, which u can exploit in counter attacking.

After two seasons my tactic has developed into this

n4a710.jpg

There are just 2 TI's, Play out of defence and whipped crosses

I have finished 10th & 8th in my two seasons which is great for a team predicted to be relegated.  The only changes I make are to mentality & Shape depending on the opposition and occasionally I will change my DLF(a) to DLF(s)

I am still losing goals when the AI goes Attacking and found the best way to cope is click Pass Into Space and drop the d-line (not saying its perfect but seems to work for me)

Archived