Owner options

christan67

Right now, the most hated people in football tend to be owners, or certain of them. They are the ones who feel the full wrath of fans if the club isnt going in the direction the fans want and lets me honest, all fans expect a lot more than perhaps most teams are capable of!

Wouldnt it be nice to experience that side too? How about an option to be the owner? To be the man who hires and fires the managers, looks at ground expansions, stadium improvements, wages, decides wether or not to be laid back and let the manager get on with it or take a far bigger and more intrusive role? Tries to lure events to the ground, wonders how to make ends meet close season, changes shirt colours to the ire of supporters or tries to change club names leading to a lynchmob waiting for him outside the ground?

The game as it is is fantastic, but I dont think any management game has tried to incorporate that side of things and it could be a very interesting side and maybe even make a lot of football fans appreciate their owners a little more! (or detest them more, depending!)

It has been done before.  In Ultimate Soccer Manager 98 you could set ticket prices and expand the stadium.  You could even set food prices at the stadium restaurants.  You could choose a difficulty level to give you more or less starting cash.  The hardest levels made you start with loans and you had to try and avoid going bankrupt.

This is something I have been wanting for years.  What is the point of making a salary as the manager if you can't do anything with it.  The owners are the ultimate managers of the clubs.  It would be great to be able to spend your own money on every aspect of the club or even to buy shares in a club and attempt a takeover.  Get voted in as chairman or raise the capital to buy a club outright.  Maybe you could be a small shareholder who gets a vote or own clubs in multiple countries so you can buy and sell players between your clubs.  It may not be realistic that you would take to the pitch as the manager of the team you own but it is a game after all and it would certainly be fun and even though they generally would not do that in real life they could if they really wanted too.

24 minutes ago, ErrantSperm said:

It has been done before.  In Ultimate Soccer Manager 98 you could set ticket prices and expand the stadium.  You could even set food prices at the stadium restaurants.  You could choose a difficulty level to give you more or less starting cash.  The hardest levels made you start with loans and you had to try and avoid going bankrupt.

This is something I have been wanting for years.  What is the point of making a salary as the manager if you can't do anything with it.  The owners are the ultimate managers of the clubs.  It would be great to be able to spend your own money on every aspect of the club or even to buy shares in a club and attempt a takeover.  Get voted in as chairman or raise the capital to buy a club outright.  Maybe you could be a small shareholder who gets a vote or own clubs in multiple countries so you can buy and sell players between your clubs.  It may not be realistic that you would take to the pitch as the manager of the team you own but it is a game after all and it would certainly be fun and even though they generally would not do that in real life they could if they really wanted too.

The point of the manager salary is Job Security.

11 hours ago, ErrantSperm said:

It has been done before.  In Ultimate Soccer Manager 98 you could set ticket prices and expand the stadium.  You could even set food prices at the stadium restaurants.

For the love of god please never require me to pause my managerial duties to decide on the price of stadium food.

11 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

The point of the manager salary is Job Security.

This is an interesting point that I had never considered until I saw it mentioned when I first visited these forums - as a small club manager I used to usually just make my wages low so I had more money in the wage budget. But come to think of it, do your wages even come out of the same wage budget you use for players and signing your own staff? I guess so, right?

Just now, Weston said:

This is an interesting point that I had never considered until I saw it mentioned when I first visited these forums - as a small club manager I used to usually just make my wages low so I had more money in the wage budget. But come to think of it, do your wages even come out of the same wage budget you use for players and signing your own staff? I guess so, right?

Anyone can find it though. It's shown in the Confidence screen. Under Job Security you will have a 'rating' that says it'll cost a lot to fire you, so your security is good, or the opposite.

2 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Anyone can find it though. It's shown in the Confidence screen. Under Job Security you will have a 'rating' that says it'll cost a lot to fire you, so your security is good, or the opposite.

Yes, I understand that now, I just was usually more concerned with scrapping together another 3k p/w to sign a free agent that it didn't occur to me to spend time negotiating with my own board for a more protected contract. But you didn't answer my question; out of curiosity, can you confirm if our wages do indeed come out of the same budget we ourselves have to spend, or was I wrong in my assumption and that's settled separately?

Just now, Weston said:

Yes, I understand that now, I just was usually more concerned with scrapping together another 3k p/w to sign a free agent that it didn't occur to me to spend time negotiating with my own board for a more protected contract. But you didn't answer my question; out of curiosity, can you confirm if our wages do indeed come out of the same budget we ourselves have to spend, or was I wrong in my assumption and that's settled separately?

I didn't answer it because I'm not sure.

On 8/26/2016 at 18:59, Weston said:

But come to think of it, do your wages even come out of the same wage budget you use for players and signing your own staff?

Staff wages don't come out of the wage budget, do they?

On 26/08/2016 at 18:05, Weston said:

24 minutes ago, eriktous said:

Staff wages don't come out of the wage budget, do they?

No, I'm 99% sure they don't.

The wage budget is for your players and this can be confirmed by looking at the wages tab under finances where it is broken down by squad status.

1 hour ago, Cougar2010 said:

No, I'm 99% sure they don't.

The wage budget is for your players and this can be confirmed by looking at the wages tab under finances where it is broken down by squad status.

I could've sworn as a lower league club I couldn't sign an assistant manager once cos of wage restrictions but maybe it was just a board limitation on the max possible offer for the role?

Seems like something someone just needs to test by saving before and after signing a contract and seeing if the wage budget changes at all.

I've signed new staff while the wage budget was already maxed out, so it's definitely a different budget. You're right about the board restrictions; they set limits to what you can offer, depending on staff role, and if the new signing's demands are way too high, there is no way to strike a deal.

1 hour ago, eriktous said:

I've signed new staff while the wage budget was already maxed out, so it's definitely a different budget. You're right about the board restrictions; they set limits to what you can offer, depending on staff role, and if the new signing's demands are way too high, there is no way to strike a deal.

I've done that as well but only cos sometimes (I never know when or why) it lets you go below your budget if it's just a few thousand. I also think the wage budget does effect the board restrictions cos if you have very little wage budget left they allow you less and if you move the slider to the opposite extreme where you have excess in wage available the max offer available increases, if I remember correctly...

• 3 months later...

Archived