Help with 4-1-2-3 tactic

Hi all. First, I'd like to say that I have been struggling with the tactics in this game ever since the sliders made their appearance, so yeah, several years now... I have read countless posts in this forum, been on numerous websites, and tried lots of different types of tactics, but it just seems that nothing ever works for me... and it's incredibly frustrating !

I have come up with a 4-1-2-3 for FM15, but again I am struggling. Could you take a look at it and tell me if there's anything blatant that is wrong with it ? I have attached it as a PDF. 

My team instructions are Shorter Passing, Play out of Defence, Low crosses (my striker is small and quick), Exploit the Flanks, Look for Overlap, Play Wider, Push Higher Up, Close Down More, Prevent Short GK Distribution, Lower Tempo, Be More Disciplined.

I play with a Standard Mentality and a Structured Team Shape. The logic to that is that I want my team to have low creative freedom, and increase the creative freedom individually for two or three key players...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

GK : Defend
CD : Defend
FB: Support
DM: Support
AP (MCL position) : Support
Left Winger : Attack
BWM (MCR position) : Support
Right Winger : Support
AF : Attack

Player Instructions : 

GK : Tackle harder, fewer risky passes, distribute to centre backs, roll it out

FB : Shoot Less Often, Dribble More, Tackle Harder, Get Further Forward, Cross More Often, Cross Aim Centre, Stay Wider, Run with Ball

CD : Close Down Less, Tackle Harder, Mark Tighter, Pass it Shorter

DM : Shoot Less OFten, Dribble Less, Mark Tighter, Hold Position, Fewer Risky Passes

AP : Dribble Less, Tackle Harder, More Direct Passes, Cross Less Often

BWM : Shoot Less Often, Dribble Less, Get Further Forward, More Risky Passes, Cross Less Often

W : Shoot Less Often, Ease Off Tackles, Cross Aim Centre

AF : Shoot More Often, Ease Off Tackles, Fewer Risky Passes

Tactic.pdf

You need to provide more info I'm afraid if you want help.  That pdf just shows play roles and ratings.  We need to know player duties as well.  You also say you're not going to go into player instructions, but if more than just your fullbacks that you mention have them, you need to.

It would also be useful if you tell us what type of problems you are seeing and the style of football you want to achieve.

Please have a read through the sticky at the top of this forum about asking for help: https://community.sigames.com/topic/264734-asking-for-help-please-read-this/

Do you have a system in mind, that you want to emulate or a favorite team etc? 

Some general thoughts on the 4-1-2-3:

You want to exploit flanks, yet both FBs are on support. By exploiting flanks and having two wingers, your striker is very much alone up there on an attacking duty. I imagine he is isolated a lot of the time. I would experiment more with an inside forward at either flank. Have the striker on a supporting role would help in the creation department, he needs to drop down and get involved.

Be more disciplined in a structured system is something I would look closer at. It could be too structured. I would have a look at the TIs also, you have 11 or so? It looks like you are going for a low risk, possession based style (lower tempo, short passing and team shape), if not, you should remove some of these. In a tight structure like this, shorter passing could be removed.

You can't increase the creative freedom manually, only certain roles get it increased automatically.

I feel your roles, duties, formation, team instructions and player instructions are just too extreme, you've grouped sets of players to do very specific things, but I can't see how it would work as a package, its too disjointed / unbalanced.  You've min/maxed each player so much + limited there freedom you have to get the balance of the team spot on, if a key role in that tactic has a off game its going to really limit what the team can do.

1.  Shorter + Play out of Defence + Lower Tempo is quite possession orientated but your front three are very vertical, looking to attack space with two looking to run in behind.
  2.  Your outside 4 players are all very cross heavy, but to who?  You have a small forward, the opposite winger might get inside, and maybe the AP+BWM could be in there, but your don't really have a consistant presence in the box for that amount of crossing compared to a formation with say 2 forwards.  Play you've emphasized this even more focusing the flanks.  By telling your wingers to look for overlaps they're going to hold up the ball and try to wait for the FB... so what are the wingers actually contributing?  Plus your FB's are support duty so going to take fewer risks, yet you've given them so many instructions they're more like FB-A or WB-A. 
  3.  Your relying on your BWM + AP to play through balls but to who?  Only really the wingers and AF, there a lack of vertical movement through the middle, 
  4.  Looks like you want your 4 defenders + 3 midfielders to win the ball, yet your pushing up and closing down more but telling your front three to tackle easier?

What sort of style are you actually trying to go for?  A slowish possession style that relies on crosses without a great presence in the box doesn't seem a logical one to me.

Thanks a lot for your input guys, your posts have really gotten me thinking.

I am not really trying to emulate any style in particular... I am just looking for a system that will generally do well and get me results... I know you will say that there isn't a one-size-fits-all tactic out there, but to be honest I've tried all sorts of tactics, some that I've downloaded from this forum, some from other websites, which were lauded by loads of people, and some which I came up with myself... most of these tactics were fluid and were possession-based, and none got me satisfactory results in the long run...

To be honest, this latest tactic which I've come up with myself, despite its apparent illogicality (in some areas at least), is the one that has been getting me the best results... I've just won my last game 4-1 at home, with 3 CCCs vs 0...  generally this tactic does alright at home, but is pretty bad away from home, with, nevertheless, the occasional really good win... I'm 11th in the Premiership with Fulham just a few games from the end of the season, media prediction was 13th, so I guess I'm not doing TOO badly, but I am convinced that there are serious deficiencies in my tactics...

8 hours ago, Ji-Sung Park said:

You want to exploit flanks, yet both FBs are on support. By exploiting flanks and having two wingers, your striker is very much alone up there on an attacking duty. I imagine he is isolated a lot of the time. I would experiment more with an inside forward at either flank. Have the striker on a supporting role would help in the creation department, he needs to drop down and get involved.

Be more disciplined in a structured system is something I would look closer at. It could be too structured. I would have a look at the TIs also, you have 11 or so? It looks like you are going for a low risk, possession based style (lower tempo, short passing and team shape), if not, you should remove some of these. In a tight structure like this, shorter passing could be removed.

I've tried setting my AML/R as IF in the past and it's never really worked... I've also tried setting my SC as False Nine so that he would drop deeper, and that's not really worked either... if you set your only striker as a deep lying forward or shadow striker or whatever, isn't there a risk that there will be no-one in the area to finish ?

I didn't know a rigid structure meant the team was going to play a shorter passing game... there are so many things, I find, that aren't clear in this game about what instruction affects what... it even seems to me there are debates going on on these forums and disagreements about the impact some instructions have...

So, if I tell my team to play a short passing game, and I tell one of my players to play more direct, does that mean the two cancel each other and that effectively he will play a "balanced" style pf passing ? See, those are the kinds of things that really I find aren't clear at all in this game, and have never been, ever since the "sliders" system was introduced a few years ago... 

I followed Ji-Sung Park's advice (partly) by switching my AML from a W(A) to a IF(A) role. I've just beaten Man Utd, who are top of the league, 1-0 at home with this tactic... probably my best result of the season. So this tactic can definitely get me results, it's just not consistent enough...

I generally only use a support duty (DLF, F9, or CF) if I have a lone forward. I figure he needs to bring the rest of the team into the game or else he'll be playing on his own most of the time. The exception would be if I had an AMC sitting right behind him.

If your forward really isn't much of a support player then I would suggest changing formations.

11 hours ago, Dean_Winchester said:

So, if I tell my team to play a short passing game, and I tell one of my players to play more direct, does that mean the two cancel each other and that effectively he will play a "balanced" style pf passing ? See, those are the kinds of things that really I find aren't clear at all in this game, and have never been, ever since the "sliders" system was introduced a few years ago... 

If you play short passing, but have say your CM on direct, he will play more direct passes while the other ones will be in short. I prefer the PI 'risky passes' instead, get some of those balls behind the defense etc.

1 hour ago, Dean_Winchester said:

No, I haven't considered that system... it seems too defensive to me... ? I mean 4-1-2-3-1 is defensive enough, wouldn't a 4-1-4-1 be too defensive ?

It depends a lot on mentality and d-line depth. I'm using a 4-1-4-1 right now that scores almost 2.6 per game in the league. It takes a lot of tweaking tho for me to make it work, but solid at the back while free scoring up front. 

Edit: Not mentality really, but shape and TI's.

Archived