FM16: VFB Stuttgart - Engineering German Success

LPQR

August 2021 - Domination

stuttgart.jpg

two 3-1 results see us winning the DFL Supercup as well as the Uefa Super Cup to complete a trophy-laden year for a Stuttgart side that won every competition it was involved in

34e96363fe42c084679935c46d519d2f.png

e7b34097fdc4d9e0be6f2f54defe1f65.jpg

f228adcb4da732703c8f385e96eb62ae.jpg

perhaps the only downside is Bundt's injury in the Uefa Supercup, which will see him miss the opening 3 months of the season :( quite disappointing, really, after he scored 7 goals in the first 3 official matches of the season

in other news....

Johannes Eggestein becomes the club all-time leading goalscorer with 130 goals in 188 appearances for the club at a tender age of just 23

0ae790bc06dbcaa5af5a0aad1881acf6.pnga4e930f10a5a0a902ee3471526511067.png

9f1f6d76f7e98d6d5a352a472deb7d7d.png

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Oh no, that's horrific...

Rapp was absolutely killing it before the injury as well....had 5 goals and 8 assists in 13 matches already. Really hoped he could push for some Continental awards this year...

December 2021 - mid season update

stuttgart.jpg

after our shock exit from the Champions League, we get some positive news in the form of our FIFA Club World Cup victory

Image result for football interview club world championship

ed7089fc71aed4e5610ccdf769ca36a4.png

The late late winner was scored by an exciting prospect signed from Dortmund for 9M last summer: Timo Wagner

922bfe9e721a3cfcbe11e413fb3f35a4.jpg

got Besuschkow to tutor him, and by the looks of it, we have yet another fantastic attacking prospect in our ranks

Competitions overview

this screen has never been so busy :D

- we are doing fine in the league, could have avoided a couple of draws and Bayern seem to have got their mojo back, so we're set for a more exciting season in the league this year

- with the Europa League and the DFB pokal still to play for, I hope we manage to get some good results this year to compensate for that horrific CL campaign

efb36dbe3612a7e4f8d32f46bc90802b.jpg

It looks like January re-inforcements are a must, after Rapp's and Roth's injuries. To add to those, Gnabry has been knocked out of action for 6 weeks and Bundt is sidelined for another 4 weeks with a sports hernia days after he made his recovery from a 3 month injury. This leaves our attacking options completely depleted... yet again. I have no idea what those physios are up to but this is ridiculous

39b93a4472e261b50f29bc24f8208341.png

The recent triumph in the Club World Cup has seen Jenssen's renaissance-style front garden at his house in the quiet Munster suburban area invaded with journalists

after he was declared by club, fans and the wider football community as one of the best managers in the game

Image result for quiet stuttgart house

Sky Sports' Amanda Schloss makes a brave jump over the flower rows and sticks the microphone into what Jenssen believes to be close enough to describe as intimate space: 

Image result for journalist microphone too close

Mr Jenssen, everybody's buzzing at your recent success, and many here in Stuttgart believe that your legacy at this club could grow even further, would you say you're committed to lead the VFB to further glory?

Amanda, let me ask you first, what are you doing on Saturday evening? oh wait, I know already, you're going to get that fluffy jumper of yours dirty and plant back all the chrysanthemes you've ruined making your way here. Sorted? Lovely... Well, to answer your question, I'm about to make my way to the VFB headquarters and fire all the medical team, including nutritionists and yoga teachers. So for now I'm just excited at not having to feed my players weird cereals with bits of Bratwurst in them as well as getting rid of those insane ' bend your leg around your neck' exercises

I see you keep your pragmatic know-how even in the knick of euphoria.... you don't seem to be over the moon with your CWC success, why is that?

To be honest with you, just before you ruined my flowers, I was reading Nietzche's thoughts on 'existential predilections towards cynical interpretations of the self', which I think is far more exciting than watching Hoxha or Gnabry hit the post 4 times in a row and then complain about being substituted

Mr Jenssen, please accept our congratulations from all of us in the Sky Sports team for entering the hall of fame and we wish you all the best in Europa League this season!

Are you taking the p***??? Right, that's it! Enough is enough! Get off my property now and if you're not here on Saturday by 4 o'clock I'll send Lennart Grunenberg to find you. And trust me, he's got the acceleration to outrun you, the strength and tackling to kick you over, the marking to keep you with him till you're here and the looks to scare your boyfriend:

37b35536471dedc5b54c84216f3f848e.png  149f02f18427f02c1ae1dc9f6deeb8f9.png

Klaas Jenssen's credentials:

deef8f40d2766752c056e22980835e8e.png

5c84f4fc984cde046930606c7c5376d2.jpg

Gruneburg is a monster!

In lieu of FM17, which I'll probably treat myself to, for my birthday in December but not actually play with any intent until the January patch, I've managed to start THREE German saves this week!!!

I do love the German leagues anyway but your threads have inspired me mate. ;)

Sooooo... I'm at the winter break with VfB Stuttgart, unbeaten and top of the 2. Budesliga. Still in preseason with BMG, though my interest in that one has waned a little due to starting an RBL save a couple of nights ago, where I've lost just 1 of my first 6 games, away to Schalke and somewhat unluckily too!

Almost tempted to start a thread but just don't think I have the time or patience to keep up with it.

Anyway, looking forward to the next installments. ;)

5 hours ago, davehibb said:

Gruneburg is a monster!

In lieu of FM17, which I'll probably treat myself to, for my birthday in December but not actually play with any intent until the January patch, I've managed to start THREE German saves this week!!!

I do love the German leagues anyway but your threads have inspired me mate. ;)

Sooooo... I'm at the winter break with VfB Stuttgart, unbeaten and top of the 2. Budesliga. Still in preseason with BMG, though my interest in that one has waned a little due to starting an RBL save a couple of nights ago, where I've lost just 1 of my first 6 games, away to Schalke and somewhat unluckily too!

Almost tempted to start a thread but just don't think I have the time or patience to keep up with it.

Anyway, looking forward to the next installments. ;)

haha, three saves at a time is a bit mental :D good luck with all three of them, and I'm glad you found that motivation in here! I must say, though, managing BMG in a journeyman career of mine that saw me start from the bottom with no experience and qualifications was what pushed me to start this story with VfB. I usually manage in England or Italy and had never tried Germany before but the league suddenly appealed to me, as well as the history and support of the clubs adding that touch of romance. Won the treble in 2020 with die Fohlen after two seasons in charge, with a first 11 that had 10 German players in it and I loved the idea so much that I decided to start a home-grown save in Germany. Here's a sneak peak of Jan Bloom's tremendous rise to the top of the football world :)

941ccdc961504f78032e833af1f7c2f9.jpg 

ca84d448850218704a7edf00d78290ad.png

I'd love to see a BMG thread mate, go for it!

January 2022

stuttgart.jpg

For a third year in a row, a Stuttgart player wins the European Golden Boy award. Previous years have seen Eggestein and Eichinger lift the award, and now we have Kristian Hoxha(youth2016) joining them after a spectacular year for him and the club

ba445d4cb5fd12418eb12c394d0e4551.png

719ffccbb8e10735dc9277414465ad71.jpg

the good news is, however, overshadowed by yet another dramatic turn of events at the Mercedes-Benz arena:

Benjamin Gallus refuses to extend his contract and opts to join Gelsenkirchen on a free transfer at the end of the season. After compaining about game time I've fielded him regularly however that didn't change his mind, regardless. Gallus is a player we brought in from Hertha for just under 4 million in 2018. He was 15 at the time and after coming through the youth ranks in the last two years he started to look ready to challenge for a first team spot in what is one of our strongest areas: Defensive Mid

His amazing stat distribution meant he could be deployed equally effectively at right back and that would have been really good news should we decide to switch to a back four in the near future. Ahh... the VfB lose yet another wonderkid, and for this one it seems like I have to take the blame

b5efef15a6613fd70978fd3c88bd01a8.jpg

1 hour ago, LPQR said:

haha, three saves at a time is a bit mental :D good luck with all three of them, and I'm glad you found that motivation in here! I must say, though, managing BMG in a journeyman career of mine that saw me start from the bottom with no experience and qualifications was what pushed me to start this story with VfB. I usually manage in England or Italy and had never tried Germany before but the league suddenly appealed to me, as well as the history and support of the clubs adding that touch of romance. Won the treble in 2020 with die Fohlen after two seasons in charge, with a first 11 that had 10 German players in it and I loved the idea so much that I decided to start a home-grown save in Germany. Here's a sneak peak of Jan Bloom's tremendous rise to the top of the football world :)

941ccdc961504f78032e833af1f7c2f9.jpg 

ca84d448850218704a7edf00d78290ad.png

I'd love to see a BMG thread mate, go for it!

Of the three I've started, it's BMG that has hit the back burner. If i were to do a thread (and it's a BIG if), then it would be RBL I'm afraid. ;)

it's the one I'm enjoying most and I've already got some 'goals' in mind that I'd like for the save. Plus I love the pace and workrate throughout the team and how it suits counter attacking.

1 minute ago, davehibb said:

Of the three I've started, it's BMG that has hit the back burner. If i were to do a thread (and it's a BIG if), then it would be RBL I'm afraid. ;)

it's the one I'm enjoying most and I've already got some 'goals' in mind that I'd like for the save. Plus I love the pace and workrate throughout the team and how it suits counter attacking.

Yeah, they already have a decent team! Go for it, anyway, I'd love to see a German team thread, as it seems I'm kind of flying the flag alone for now. I'm sure you'll have loads of fun and, khm khm... money to spend :D 

1 minute ago, davehibb said:

I've spent most of it on Kempf and Pulisic. :p

I've also brought Avdijaj in on a 2 year loan with buy clause, on both my RBL and VfB saves. :D

great signings! Kempf is amazing, basically a more technically gifted version of Orban, shame I didn't have a reason to sign him in this career. Avdijaj is a very tricky player, tactically speaking, but use him right and you'll see him smashing it!

Yeah, I needed some reinforcements at DC with only Compper, Orban and Papadopoulos.

I have to admit taking a leaf out of your book and playing Avdijaj as a SS in our 4-4-1-1 and he's doing pretty well so far. I do struggle in finding the right combinations up top in FM16 for some reason but he works well alongside a DF-S. ;)

6 minutes ago, davehibb said:

Yeah, I needed some reinforcements at DC with only Compper, Orban and Papadopoulos.

I have to admit taking a leaf out of your book and playing Avdijaj as a SS in our 4-4-1-1 and he's doing pretty well so far. I do struggle in finding the right combinations up top in FM16 for some reason but he works well alongside a DF-S. ;)

Avdijaj and Selke, I assume :) lovely duo! Yeah, SS/F9/Trequartista get the best out of Avdijaj, apparently. His lack of strength and workrate however mean you need other players to compensate for his lazy spells, but it all depends on your system and style of play at the end of the day

March 2022 - Youth Intake

stuttgart.thumb.jpg.91e3a0a69a028d4fa475e1f20438b089.jpg

yet another promising intake orchestrated by Max Eberl

b3a2d24276afed96fd09ae33b38957ee.png

Moritz Barth / Volkan Cetinkaya

Great intake, another amazing prospect in the striking department as well as a much needed young promising centre-back. Owusu and Stoltz don't look too bad either, so I'm really happy with what might be one of our deepest intakes since 2016. The Stuttgart youth conveyor keeps rolling! :)

5 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Gonna have to start playing 2-3-5 with all these strikers coming through.

aye :D to be fair though, that's the area that has been the most problematic over the last two years. We technically have 3 striking roles in our tactic and with Rapp and Roth getting injured that often we need players to fill in for Bundt and Eggestein. I actually had to bring in a striker from Dortmund in January for 10 Million (one of our biggest transfers in the last 3 years) to cope with the injury crisis:

dda295d7324e49b075489bab2c797e57.jpg

10th of April 2022 - Champions!

VfB Stuttgart win 5th consecutive Bundesliga title

stuttgart.thumb.jpg.1d0b3550729bbaea11b2a702d1465f99.jpg

Image result for vfb stuttgart fans celebrate

ed4a90cd589f609f2b9370e4139fa5f9.png

Yes, that's right, GERMANY CAPTAIN - Tim Eichinger :)

Really happy for Timmy, he has absolutely exploded this season and to captain a Germany side that features born leaders and veterans in the names of Mustafi, Ter-stegen and Orban must be quite a feat!

what a season... woah, it looked like Bayern could mixe it up for us at the start of the season, but the run these boys have put together to defend the trophy is simply spectacular!

This triumph marks the 10th ever Bundesliga title for VfB Stuttgart, and while it's fair to say the club was already one of the most supported in Germany before Jenssen took over, a simple math equation will point out that half of these titles are the result of Jenssen's youth-oriented management 

5th of May 2022 - Europa League

stuttgart.jpg

Stuttgart beat Sporting Lisbon in the quarter finals with an aggregate score of 5-3, before dominating a very impressive Bologna(!!) side in the semi-finals with a final result of 6-2(agg)

Quarters

234852e57ade5a68ce120a7c7102deea.png

Semis

e762c290108d709b5d2f899571db7f5f.png

Oh wait, what's that?

Back to back European Finals!

050c9e38594393e9f7a7226874e3b508.png

After last season's incredible triumph in the CL, we have a chance to add another European trophy in our cabinets!

Aaaand a Man United supporter has been spotted making an early entrance in the Timsah Arena! Go figure... :p

Supporters are still making their ways to the stands, kick off is scheduled for 18:30 UK time, so plenty of time to grab a seat. Come on now, don't be shy!

That along with the long face the cameras caught you make when you saw the 'no alcoholic beverages' sign in the refreshment section of the stadium. We're in Turkey, after all, mate....

2 minutes ago, LPQR said:

That along with the long face the cameras caught you make when you saw the 'no alcoholic beverages' sign in the refreshment section of the stadium. We're in Turkey, after all, mate....

That just proves I'm Irish, like most Man Utd fans.

18th of May 2022 - Europa League Final

Live updates

Image result for uefa europa league final

Good evening to you ladies and gentlemen, we are here at the Timsah Arena in Bursa for an exciting Europa League final between two great European sides: Liverpool F.C. and VfB Stuttgart

Joining us live from the pitch tonight is Der Bild reporter Andrea Kaiser:

Image result for german sports reporter pitch

Good evening, Andrea, how does it feel to be in a stadium ready for an European Final?

Hello, LPQR, it's mesmerizing, the two sets of supporters have already started their choreographic stunts

and to be honest, it's no surprise Liverpool's 'you'll never walk alone' is sang so loud I can barely hear what you say

That's fantastic, Andrea, could you tell us more about how the two teams will line up tonight?

Yes, it seems that Klaas Jenssen has decided to field a first 11 that consists entirely of players developed by the club in their youth years. It might

come back to haunt him as he chose to field Antonio Rudiger instead of Willi Orban at the heart of his defense, especially in the face of the threat

that Liverpool's Isco-Nando-Berardi trio will pose. 

*laughs* that would be typical Jenssen though, So, Andrea, what are you predictions for tonight?

I expect a very evenly matched game, however I'm inclined to go for Stuttgart's legendary youngsters making the difference tonight

Thank you, Andrea, we are about to start so I'll come back to you later for updates

the referee, Paulo Tagliavento checks his watch and the match kicks off!

b4f216a5a0ce620e0d54ceb796b8c2d3.jpg

Live updates

the first 20 minutes of the game have seen Stuttgart amass an amazing 4 yellow cards as the team are pressing aggressively for the ball. Both teams are looking to catch the opponent in transition and hit them on the break, exciting stuff so far!

Live updates

20th minute' GOOOALLLL! - Timmy Eichinger scores!! He clutches on to a delightful through ball by Eggestein and finishes superbly the one on one with the keeper to give Stuttgart the lead

Stuttgart - Liverpool 1-0

c33c34f1b073dd65da60f0d568c34c50.jpg
https://gyazo.com/c33c34f1b073dd65da60f0d568c34c50  

Live updates

43rd minute' GOOOALLLL! - Serge Gnabry scores!! Rudiger stepps into midfield and picks out Gnabry making a run forward with a Pirlo-esque pass. Serge outruns the defender, cuts inside from the right and sinks it in the bottom far corner with aplomb. What a goal!

Stuttgart - Liverpool 2-0

eac7331b6c06fd09541b8d8029de2da3.jpg

Live updates

44'th minute' GOOOALLLL! - Mattias Rapp scores!! Woaah! Seconds after Liverpool concede they lose the ball in midfield after a failed kick off and Stuttgart score 2 in the space of 2 minutes, after a perfect counter attack! Eichinger sets Rapp up perfectly and he rounds off the keeper to finish into an empty net!

Stuttgart - Liverpool 3-0

eae32cdb7226f0f78d58acf2aaa35513.jpg

Live updates

Half time

5 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Smashing work so far!

so, Mr. BoxToBox, what are your impressions from this match so far? As an Irishman that traveled all the way to Turkey, are you satisfied with what you've seen so far?

Just now, LPQR said:

Live updates

Half time

so, Mr. BoxToBox, what are your impressions from this match so far? As an Irishman that traveled all the way to Turkey, are you satisfied with what you've seen so far?

I'm delighted, but mildly disappointed that I somehow ended up in the Liverpool allocation and can't celebrate properly.

1 minute ago, BoxToBox said:

I'm delighted, but mildly disappointed that I somehow ended up in the Liverpool allocation and can't celebrate properly.

It seems that when they sing 'you'll never walk alone' they actually mean it, huh... there's a famous German pub all the players are going after the match if they win, I'm sure you'll find the atmosphere much more to your taste... oh yeah, they sell beers as well!

Live updates

second half kicks off and club icon Mart Ristl makes his way on the field after Besuschkow can't seem to recover from a knock

Live updates

80th minute - Gnabry and Eichinger are giving Liverpool the runaround after they seem to have collapsed morally. Stuttgart in cruise control

2 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Smashed it! Well done!

Cheers! On behalf of the Stuttgart Ultras group we would like to thank you for attending this game and putting up admirably with the understandable distress we all know a scouser set of fans can deliver

May 2022 

VfB Stuttgart win Historic Quintuple

stuttgart.jpg

Lifting the Europa League has seen the club win every possible competition over the last two years

Image result for stuttgart fans

3b52cf404ea7899ee527e3252cf4a601.png

884acc538d8016dd59bd550735a9be0c.jpg

cdf4c6a770fa036bba4edc6d6bf992a2.png

c5fa4be30dfa6cbe7c1c2be1dc773646.png

cdded4dfad61f43a0f5509e6ca59f5f6.png

Squad Home-Grown status

7c7929fd0394c825c2d70b450d0db037.jpg

Incredible pair of seasons.

26 minutes ago, LPQR said:

Cheers! On behalf of the Stuttgart Ultras group we would like to thank you for attending this game and putting up admirably with the understandable distress we all know a scouser set of fans can deliver

At least I know the flight home will be quiet.

8 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Incredible pair of seasons.

absolutely, I can't really believe how consistent we are in the league as well. The only other downside other then the CL campaign this year is being knocked out from the German Cup in the semis. To be fair though, after 5 Cup wins in a row I think the players got fed up with it :D

Archived